1996 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 573 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

20 years still strong

By on Friday, November 23, 2012

Pros: "reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"own a 1992 Jeep Cherokee with 176k on the odometer. Routine maintenance..for it being 20 years old had to replace the following within this year: radiator, water pump, oil pan gasket, overhaul brake system, drive belt..runs strong, reliable..however, gas mileage is limited to 21 mpg on hwy going 55-60 mph..follow maintenance schedule and you will have a car for a very long time..i know of people who have way more miles that I have..so reliability speaks for itself..you cannot go wrong with the inline 6 engine..love this jeep."

Tough and Reliable

By on Thursday, March 27, 2008

"This Jeep has been very good to me. Not once has it left me stranded. The 4.0 has proven to be a particularly durable engine, giving me 240K miles so far. It still returns 20 mpg on the highway and starts without any complaint every day. Not a great looking vehicle, but charming. Wind noise is ever present and interior fit and finish are lackluster, yet all the power options still function reliably. The seats are supportive and remain comfortable on long drives. Cargo area is versatile and the back seat folds forward for a flat load floor. The back seat cushion itself can be fully removed quite easily, for a bit more storage space. Cupholders intrude on passenger legroom, but can be removed. The 4WD is manually selected from neutral, and has a Low range for extra power at low speeds. Parts are cheap and easy to find, and a person with limited mechanical experience can perform all maintenance without much ado."

Can't beat a Jeep!

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2008

"1992 Jeep. I've driven it pushing 13 years now. The clear coat has been coming off for 2 years now and it looks a bit rough. You would too for being 16 years old and being pushed for 198,000 miles. still going strong with the usual maintanence. Just bought it's twin to cannabalize for parts. Will rebuild it's engine to place in #1 when it goes and switch the front doors with as #2 has wing windows that actual open and close! This car has never let me down or refused to start. I'll drive it till the wheels fall off! It's a keeper for little money and repair!"

Most Reliable

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"I am currently on my second cherokee -- same year, same engine, different color. My first was awesome. I would have driven it into the ground if it hadn't have been stolen. The engine had over 350,000 miles on it and was still running like a champ! My current cherokee is just as wonderful with over 205,000 miles. You just can't beat that 4cyl engine. I would recommend this vehicle to a friend any day."

Best vehicle I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, reliable, and will run FOREVER"

Cons: "interior is basic but more than enough for me"

Only on a Jeep

"I have put over 450,000 miles on this car believe it or not, and have had very few problems. Jeeps just aren't built like this anymore. It's been rolled twice and still looks good. I will drive this car until it rusts in half, then I'll weld it back together and keep driving it."

Only on a Jeep

Dependable and Long lasting

By on Saturday, January 14, 2012

Pros: "Dependable and long lasting"

Cons: "Gas mileage terrible"

"Has been the best vehicle I have ever owned, dependable and requires little maintanence. Purchased used in 1996 and have kept the oil changed between 3-6,000 mi. and only major repair to date has been the radiator. Would recommend Jeep hands down, would love to purchase another one but can't afford today's car prices, plan on driving this one till it can't go anymore. Would gladly trade my Mercedes for a Jeep Any Day! This Jeep has my heart forever!"

I love my car

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

Pros: "goes anywhere, anytime. Lived in Texas for awhile, great in snow or sand"

Cons: "favorite car to be stolen and taken to Mexico"

"I had the engine replaced 1000 miles ago. Broken motor mount tweeked engine into the radiator. Original mileage was 245,000 miles. No trouble with the car, excellent experience. I live in the desert, so tough on paint job, but 4wd is a thrill. weather is just as tough on upholstery"

Good small SUV

By on Tuesday, September 22, 2009

"I owned two of these a 95 and 96 which are the best years for the Cherokee. Before was too many cooling/engine issues and after too much weight and watered down performance. Great strong engine and responsive but suspension made for off road. Interior is wannabe but functional. This is a tough rig but really made to be upgraded for some offroad rather than a cruiser in town."

Made from the best stuff on earth

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have been a Jeep Tech since 1993. When I bought my Cherokee in 96 I could have afforded almost any car I wanted. After 3 years of working in a dealer I new that this was the best product for the money. Here I am 12 years and 155,000 miles later still praising my Jeep. I have never had anything major replaced. I have had this thing in mud up to the doors, snow 36" deep and even in the surf at the jersey shore. It never has failed me once. In 12 years I have replaced only a few bulbs, the O2 sensor, TPS sensor, recently the radiator, and normal maintence. If you are looking for old faithful then this is the vehicle that I have said for 15 years is "Made From The Best Stuff on Earth""

200K and still ticking

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"Well almost 200k. Bought this 9 years ago with 90k miles. It just turned over 184k and is just starting to show some engine problems. 2nd Gear in 5spd tranny was replaced around 100k. Haven't had to replace the brakes yet! I still keep checking, but pleanty of wear left. I do some rough off roading and hunting. Had to have the drivers side door hinges welded back on twice. When we bought it the milage was 21mpg, now it's around 19mpg. Use Bosh Platimum plugs or loose 2mpg. This has been a really great(Car, Truck, Jeep?). It's fun to drive, the 4.0 HO has lots of power. With some minor mods you can take it 4wheeling anywhere from Moab to the Rubicon. I wish Jeep still made them. no. 6 cylinder is getting low on compression and it uses a qt of oil a month now. Tows small camp trailers or ATVs fine. Buy one, drive it and take care of it, you'll be glad you did."