1995 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 567 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

Enjoyable,reliable,quick,inexpensive & safe.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Reason: Accident on highway caused by a drunk driver.

Pros: "Enjoyable,reliable,quick,inexpensive & safe."

Cons: "Rear seats are cramped,lack headrests."

"Purchased new in 95 and enjoyed driving it for 16 reliable years until a drunk crashed into us on the highway forcing us into a head on collision with the center wall before rolling and skidding on the doors accross 4 lanes. Engine was quietly running with the trans in drive when we came to a stop on our passenger side doors. Cockpit integrity was good and the doors maintained their shape in spite of the door handles being sheered off in the crash. Air bag worked as intended 16 years after build date. Ran like new and always had great low end torque. Tires, kyb shocks, breaks all less than six months old, leather int was flawless and I planned on driving it for at least another decade. Value reminescent of the 1969 383 Road Runner. My highlander has big shoes to fill."

many more miles to drive.many wish they owned it.

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pros: "used 4wheel drive in last ice storm,awsome"

Cons: "no cup holders thats ok"

"everyone should own one.4.0 engines are the best.looking to buy severval modles if possible.I always pray seeking the right car for me.Bought jeep 6 years ago 198000 miles.Any car makes the trip to Alabama or to mountains,deserves to drive until the wheels fall off."

Ten years later

By on Sunday, February 09, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, the 'Jeep' thing."

Cons: "Gas mileage, hot chicks don't care."

"I bought this in Texas with 115k miles on it. 2wd. It runs great, cruises the highway well for it's age. I'm not an off-roader. Switched to synthetic oil when I bought it and then had the rear main leak fixed. No problem since. All other mechanical issues have been basic and expected. Starter, alternator, water pump, brakes, a little front end work - all are normal for the mileage. Parts are easily available and not expensive. I don't do the work myself but labor has never been outrageous. It's not as pretty as when I bought it but still just as reliable. If you know a little about basic car maintenance it's a breeze. Properly aligned and with decent tires you can set the cruise control on 85. That's the upper limit of the speedometer. Gas mileage is not great. Payments and full coverage insurance on a new car would be prohibitive. I suppose I could buy a used economy car but I've come to know the Jeep too well. A basic sporty utility vehicle! It's pretty much bulletproof."

love my 1993 Cherokee 4x4

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "tough little beast of an SUV, solid drivetrain 4x4"

Cons: "no cup holders(yet)"

"bought it used, have no idea how many previous owners it had. after purchase realized that it had been wrecked and repaired(looks to be a decent repair job)was overheating badly at low speeds, changed waterpump,thermostat,fan clutch and flushed the radiator(all oem) and runs cool again. I use it as a hunting vehicle and it is very dependable and the 4x4 works wonderfully and I run it through rivers and up the side of a mountain on trails that were made by animals not vehicles, it busts through thick undergrowth like a tank. it shakes and rattles, but no worse than high performance high dollar corvettes I have owned. gas mileage not really an issue as it is not a daily driver. would buy another one in a heartbeat. I'm just gonna screw a cupholder to the plastic dash and keep on rocking and rolling along in this abuse taking little beast of an SUV. Chrysler should take note and make another basic 4x4 box of an suv with the 4.0 HO and they would sell a ton of em, Chrysler are you listening? there is a legion of Jeep people out here"

Had three of them-this is my 3rd one!

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "everything it is meant to do but fun doing it"

Cons: "that i couldn't lift 2 of them any faster"

"I will never let go of the love for my Jeeps. My first one was an 88 and I sold it for more then i bought it for. Should not have. Then I missed it so when I needed a car, I simply found another one. The second was an 89 and it had extremely high miles on it. Somewhere around 300000 and its still strong. I have been fixing it up to be a monster and meanwhile I stumbled onto another one, a 96 which is right where i wanted mine to be. It only has 106000 miles on it and it would cost me what I spent on the 96 to bring my 89 up to same point. I could not resist so I got it and now I sadly have to let the 89 go which is the most cleanest one I have ever seen. I have to pay the debt i created when i bought the 3rd. In my neighborhood there is a man who owns three of them also. I guess once you go jeep-you never let go! As for the looks and performance? 10 out of 10! mine all looked good and ran great! Snow was the most fun ever in my lifetime."

The best Jeeps around

By on Monday, November 11, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, runs forever"

Cons: "no cup holders, slow heat"

"I love love love my Jeep. It has plenty of power for every day driving and towing almost anything, albeit terrible gas mileage for both. It has a lot of character and I often hear "cool Jeep!" when people see it. The country version is definitely a must, the leather seats are nice gray (instead of the usual tan or black), the wheels have a different spoke pattern, and it just adds to the cool Jeep-y character. It's built like a tank, which is great for its safety ratings. I personally have been in 2 accidents in mine and it ate both of the other cars, while itself sustaining almost no damage. Everything that has ever needed to be fixed has been easily accessible and the parts readily available, which is definitely a plus for those of us who aren't exactly mechanics. In the country version there are air bags and a loud buzzer reminding you to wear your seat belt. It's held up great and has taken quite a few beatings while barely (if at all) compromising looks or mechanics. They're very easy to modify (mine has a lift, wider tires, new speakers, and a few other things). Definitely good for teenage or older drivers, as they have the total package for character, safety, and ease of maintenance."

My only new vehicle

By on Friday, November 08, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Noisy in backseat"

"I bought this vehicle new in May of 1993 and have driven it as my primary transportation all this time. It has consistently gotten 21/22 mpg. I enjoy driving it whether good or bad weather. It's only down side is that it is a bit noisy, especially for a passenger in the back seat. It has plenty of power, corners easily and is quite comfortable."

Beautiful Vehicle

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "Easy to work on. Fun to drive. Goes anywhere."

Cons: "No AC, cup holders, cruise control, or armrests."

1993 Jeep Cherokee, 238000 miles, ascending a hill.

"I am the seventh owner of my 1993 Jeep Cherokee. I purchased it with 190,000 miles, and those miles had not been easy ones: previous owners had thrashed the car. It had even been in an accident while in the dealer's lot! In the past year, I have added to the miles, so it now stands at 238,000 miles. I have done routine maintenance... oil changes with Rotella T5 every 5,000 miles, coolant every fall, differential fluid every six months, replaced old hoses, and so on. I have done some "elective" work, just as a preventative measure, such as replacing the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing (it was cracked), fan clutch, alternator, shock absorbers, IAC valve, wires, and plugs. Non-elective work I've had to do was replace the u-joints and ball joints in the front end (they were all original), and the carrier bearings went bad in the rear differential so I replaced that. I also had to replace the master brake cylinder, the front pads, rotors, calipers and brake lines. I have yet to replace the leaf springs, though that is on my list, as my passenger side spring is soggy toast. I can't vouch for previous owners, but I also take the thing off road pretty regularly and, while I try to take it easy out there, things still get jostled enough to break. Despite this, the thing has never left me stranded, and has never let me down. She's not the prettiest, and definitely not the most luxurious (no cup holders, no air conditioning, no power windows... I don't even have an armrest!), but she'll get you where you're going through just about anything. I don't have any plans to get rid of it, and fully intend to get my Jeep, rust and all, to a quarter million miles. Even if I have to get out and push."

1993 Jeep Cherokee, 238000 miles, ascending a hill.

Tough Stuff

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable and a strong runner"

Cons: "Fuel consumption"

"I have a 1995 and have driven this vehicle for 7 years now. I traded another vehicle for this one and have put nearly 100K miles on it since I got it. It has room for my family of 5 and decent cargo space in the back plus a luggage rack. I have driven this Jeep through large amounts of snow, bad storms and even a flood and it just keeps going. It's an extremely easy vehicle to work on and the parts are cheap and easy to find. I often have people approaching me asking if I'd be willing to sell it to which I reply...NO! I will drive it until it won't drive any more which is hopefully a long time from now."

I love the Jeep Cherokee!!!!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "4X4!!!!!"

Cons: "no cup holders, literally."

"I'm only getting rid of my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country because I need a newer car with much better gas mileage. However, even though this was my first car, I LOVE IT! There's a certain pride in owning an off roading vehicle. It's a ton of fun to drive and even though it's not the best road vehicle it still gets the job done. I've done countless 500 mile trips in it and I'm over 6 ft 4 in tall but I've survived every trip! Every time I drive it I fall in love with it over and over again. There are so many cool things you can do to this model jeep but like I said I need a different car with better mileage (thanks to those 500 mile trips :/ ). Off roading opens up a whole new world of driving and I have my Jeep to thank for that. It's not a comfortable vehicle in any way... no cup holders, leaky body/doors/windows, it's quite noisy at high speed, a little small for me, everything's made out of cheap plastic (because it's meant to be replaced after you flood your Jeep in a river or whatever LOL), and it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. I got like 11 city MAYBE 19 highway if I was good. Usually like 17 why. However... that 4.0 litre I6 HO is a little monster! It will be pulling and wanting more at like 90 mph but you can't give it any more because the speedo stops at 85 and you're already scared for your life! This is probably more a young person's car, mostly because it just isn't comfortable, but it sure is a blast!! :) In the year that I've owned the car I've put tens of thousands of miles on it, welded the door back on, dealt with it overheating in the desert, blasted through the dunes, driven through floods, and pretty much just had an amazing time with my first car. I love my Jeep."

See if you qualify for