1994 Jeep Cherokee

Based on 573 Ratings for the 1984 - 1996 models.

200K and still ticking

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"Well almost 200k. Bought this 9 years ago with 90k miles. It just turned over 184k and is just starting to show some engine problems. 2nd Gear in 5spd tranny was replaced around 100k. Haven't had to replace the brakes yet! I still keep checking, but pleanty of wear left. I do some rough off roading and hunting. Had to have the drivers side door hinges welded back on twice. When we bought it the milage was 21mpg, now it's around 19mpg. Use Bosh Platimum plugs or loose 2mpg. This has been a really great(Car, Truck, Jeep?). It's fun to drive, the 4.0 HO has lots of power. With some minor mods you can take it 4wheeling anywhere from Moab to the Rubicon. I wish Jeep still made them. no. 6 cylinder is getting low on compression and it uses a qt of oil a month now. Tows small camp trailers or ATVs fine. Buy one, drive it and take care of it, you'll be glad you did."

Tough Stuff

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Dependable and a strong runner"

Cons: "Fuel consumption"

"I have a 1995 and have driven this vehicle for 7 years now. I traded another vehicle for this one and have put nearly 100K miles on it since I got it. It has room for my family of 5 and decent cargo space in the back plus a luggage rack. I have driven this Jeep through large amounts of snow, bad storms and even a flood and it just keeps going. It's an extremely easy vehicle to work on and the parts are cheap and easy to find. I often have people approaching me asking if I'd be willing to sell it to which I reply...NO! I will drive it until it won't drive any more which is hopefully a long time from now."

Love my jeep

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Purchased mine for $800 and its still running"

Cons: "None of my gauges work- eh NBD"

"I have had a few fuel delivery issues but other than that suprisingly NO OVERHEATING issues- Rear main seal leak is a give in. DOES NOT SMOKE. I have launched our 16.5" boat at pineview reservoir and into rivers 2 years straight 3+ days a week and never had an issue. It does have hood spacers on it which help with the temp I am sure. 4-wheel drive used 2x living in northern utah that is surprising. Very evenly weighted- Good looking all around amazing vehicle. I would purchase this specific jeep for a child of mine if i had any. Amazing how many people trash talk it and how often they break down- any time i had an issue a little starter fluid and the issue was fixed."

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, August 13, 2011

"I bought this jeep brand new. It was our first family suv. We have kept it for so many years because it is a great vehicle. I have not done any major work to engine or transmission. This vehicle had been everywhere. From Mazatlan Mexico to Vancoveer Canada to East Coast and back to Calif. I would recommend this vehicle to anybody looking for a reliable car."

205K

By on Monday, August 31, 2009

"Best car I have ever owned. I bought it with 70K on it and it is still running strong 135000 miles later at 205K. I have put highway miles, city miles, off road miles, and boat towing miles on it. It has never missed a beat. I loved having the 5spd manual. I really think it improved the gas mileage over the automatic."

By on Tuesday, July 15, 2008

"I bought the vehicle with 94,000 miles (~$6000). 9 years later it has 211,000. Maintance has included radiator leak (~$200), water pump leak (~$150), clutch replacement (~$600), and oil changes every 5000-10000 miles. The vehicle still runs great. very reliable. Easy to work on for the DIY's. I will buy a similar vehicle when this one finally dies."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, March 01, 2008

"I have had this jeep for nearly a year. 1996 Jeep Country, and I love it. it is reliable and comfortable and just what I need to knock around in. Not the sportiest, lovliest or newest, but its just what a 47 year old guy needs to run to Lowes and back. It never fails and is fun to drive. I would drive it if I were 19 or 99. Thanks."

I love the Jeep Cherokee!!!!

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Pros: "4X4!!!!!"

Cons: "no cup holders, literally."

"I'm only getting rid of my 1996 Jeep Cherokee Country because I need a newer car with much better gas mileage. However, even though this was my first car, I LOVE IT! There's a certain pride in owning an off roading vehicle. It's a ton of fun to drive and even though it's not the best road vehicle it still gets the job done. I've done countless 500 mile trips in it and I'm over 6 ft 4 in tall but I've survived every trip! Every time I drive it I fall in love with it over and over again. There are so many cool things you can do to this model jeep but like I said I need a different car with better mileage (thanks to those 500 mile trips :/ ). Off roading opens up a whole new world of driving and I have my Jeep to thank for that. It's not a comfortable vehicle in any way... no cup holders, leaky body/doors/windows, it's quite noisy at high speed, a little small for me, everything's made out of cheap plastic (because it's meant to be replaced after you flood your Jeep in a river or whatever LOL), and it gets TERRIBLE gas mileage. I got like 11 city MAYBE 19 highway if I was good. Usually like 17 why. However... that 4.0 litre I6 HO is a little monster! It will be pulling and wanting more at like 90 mph but you can't give it any more because the speedo stops at 85 and you're already scared for your life! This is probably more a young person's car, mostly because it just isn't comfortable, but it sure is a blast!! :) In the year that I've owned the car I've put tens of thousands of miles on it, welded the door back on, dealt with it overheating in the desert, blasted through the dunes, driven through floods, and pretty much just had an amazing time with my first car. I love my Jeep."

Awesome car!

By on Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pros: "Buttleproof Engine!"

Cons: "1996=NO CD PLAYER"

"This car is amazing! The engine has over 200k miles on it, but it still runs like new. I bought this car for around a thousand dollars and I couldn't be happier. Runs so smooth, pickes up speed like new. The build on this car is incredible. They just don't make them how they used to. I am in love with my car. I am buying some seat covers for my car since the seats have taken a beating. BUY THIS CAR, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!! :D"

Pleasantly surprised

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Doesn't attract car thieves."

Cons: "It's old. (A Pro?)"

"My first Jeep, bought 8 years ago with 117K miles on it. Now at 202K. Some people think I'm nuts for loving such an old car. Read the other posts - these thing do run forever. I'm thinking around 300K miles it might need some serious work. Maybe not. It's not a Cadillac. Choppy ride on rough roads and a little noisy. Drives/steers/handles great for a small SUV and I think the seats (front) are comfortable. Back seat is for kids or really short trips. On smooth highways it's fine. Four hours of bad Oklahoma highways will wear you out. GREAT engine/trans (4.0HO with auto). 2wd but put some weight in the back and it handles snow well. If you're thinking of buying one stay away from rusty/wrecked examples. Otherwise there shouldn't be much to worry about. More reliable than a tank and drives better. Oh: I have cupholders!! Looks like a ten dollar option mounted in front of the armrest over the e-brake."