• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2003 Jaguar XK Series

Based on 178 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

2002 Jaguar XKR Convertible is the Best!!!

By on Thursday, March 05, 2009

"I spent months reading all the reviews on the Jaguar XKR, Mercedes SL500, Cadillac XLR, Lexus SC430, and Porsche 911 before deciding to purchase a Jaguar XKR convertible. I must say I was a little worried about the Jaguar track record, but after much review and analysis I concluded that most of the problems with Jaguars are from decades ago and not very relevant today. But the stigma of the Jaguar constantly being in the repair shop is difficult to overcome. However, after reading everything I could find on the Jaguar XKR convertible I decided to dive-in and buy one. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I have driven or owned just about every type of car from a 69 and 70 Camaro SS, Saab turbo, Porsche 911, Corvette, BMW, Audi, Infinit, and Mercedes. All I can say is that this 2002 Jaguar XKR convertible is the best car that I have ever owned. The looks are incredible, and the fact that there are not very many of them on the road makes you stand out in the crowd. It was between the Jag, MB SL500, Lexus SC430, and Porsche 911, and I am thrilled that my wife and I purchased the Jag over the other cars. It has the looks, performance, styling, comfort, class, and handling that comes with a car that was priced at $85,000 new just a few years ago. While it may not hold its value, that was of no concern to me since I purchased the car for less than $20,000, not $85,000. There is no other car on the road that you can buy for less than $20k, with 50,000 miles on it, that can compare to this car. Once you drive it, you will understand the difference between an $85k car and one that sells for $30-50k new. If you are considering a Jaguar XKR, find one in excellent condition and most of them have been taken care of by their previous owners. A person that owns a Jag is unlikely to beat on it and abuse it, so it should be easy to find one in great condition. I may always own a Jaguar convertible from this day forward, if this car is any indication of the overall quality of their cars. Perhaps every 2-3 years I will buy a newer model, this car is that outstanding. I will never buy a new one since I can just wait a few years and get it at a 75% discount compared to a new one. If you are thinking about buying this car, do what I did compare it to its competitors and test drive them all, and I am convinced you will buy this car. It feels like you are in a Ferrari, or Lamborghini, well not really, but you are definitely in the next tier of cars right behind those two. I honestly believe this car is a better buy than a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, if for no other reason than the car drops in value so fast compared to the others. The reason for this rapid decline in price is likely due to its decades old reliability record and has nothing to do with the present quality of the car. But the value is not why I bought the car, I bought it because the others cars truly dont compare to the thrill of driving the Jaguar. The performance, comfort, and quality of the car is incredible, plus it you want a car that attracts attention this is it. The other cars are a dime a dozen on the roads and all sort of belnd in, whereas the Jaguar gets stares and compliments from everyone. Since there are not many of thes cars on the road, everybody notices it. While this isn't the reason we bought the car, it is an added source of pride. BUY THIS CAR and ENJOY driving again, it is a blast!!!!!!! If you are searching for this type of car it beats all of its competitors hands down, this car is a dream. You will LOVE owning this car!!!!!!"

Amazing car overall but with problems later on...

By on Monday, December 21, 2009

"I've had this car since it was new and the fact that I still have it is a testament to how amazing this car is. The coupe is a stunner and STILL a huge head-turner even after all these years. The engine is smooth and powerful, while making a utterly sweet sound that is feline in nature and fantastically pleasing to the auditory senses. The interior ages well and the leather still smells new. The burled-walnut wood and old-school instruments are eternally classy and luxurious. The car ran perfectly for about 8 years with no problems whatsoever. Like all cars things start to break and need to be replaced. You also have to consider that this was the first year the car was produced and that always comes along with premature failure of certain parts. These parts were mostly redesigned in later years and are typically compatible with the 97 model year. I'd recmmend keeping the car garaged since the last two years I have it outside in the hot florida sun. This has degraded certain rubber parts on the car, caused the headliner glue to fail, and caused premature fracture of certain interior retaining-plastic clips that now rattle. The wood also seems to have been negatively affected by the heat/sun. Of course, fixing anything on this car cost a fortune. The parts are super-expensive, but after all this is a Jaguar and that comes along with owning a luxury car. Overall, even with all its issues in its old age, I truly enjoy every moment I'm with the car and I have yet to drive or see another car that even comes close to it's overall balace, feel, athleticism, luxury, smootheness, classiness, and timelesness. This car is extremly predictable and really gives the sense that it is merely an extension of self while driving. I can think of no better car that allows one to achieve a unity and sense of oneness with the road and the driving experience. I don't think that anyone who drove this car would disagree. Jaguar set out the achieve the true definition of a mechanical cat, and in my opinion, they have achieved just that."

Very Reliable and great driving experience

By on Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Pros: "great ride, good gas mileage, perfect sports car"

Cons: "shocks brake easily,crammed seating,bad cup holder"

"Outstanding vehicle such a good drive my only complaint is the crammed seating and the small trunk but its a sports car so expect amazing handiling and tons of power very smooth ride"

Buyer BEWARE!

By on Monday, April 21, 2008

"I have a 1997 XK8 convertable - It rivals the most stylish autos on the road...Yes, It will turn heads....but what you don't see are expensive 'Problems' hidden underneath the hood and trunk that will blind side you if your not careful! I have spent over 7,500 in repairs so far and I've owed the car only 7 months...needless to say I will sell soon. Buy this car if you don't care if you spend loads of cash in repair shops...Buy this car if you want to 'turn heads' ...Buyer BEWARE!"

great machine

By on Monday, September 02, 2013

Pros: "reasonably priced (used) and a blast to drive"

Cons: "cd player in trunk, cup holder location, rear seat"

"i have had this car since 2001 (2nd owner) and have had 12 years of reliability and enjoyment. i have been driving jags since 86 (3 v12 xjs and my current 99) and would have a hard time changing brands. the styling is second to none and the ride and handling awesome. theres always some things you'd like to see different like an in dash cd player rather than in the trunk. the cup holders are more of a nuisance if you like playing around with the shifter. the rear seat speaks for itself too small for anyone over 4 feet tall but still a good place for the gym bag. overall i love the car. they depreciate rapidly making it affordable to buy late models used."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XK Series near Honolulu. See local deals