1998 Jaguar XK Series

Based on 186 Ratings for the 1997 - 2006 models.

Amazing car overall but with problems later on...

By on Monday, December 21, 2009

"I've had this car since it was new and the fact that I still have it is a testament to how amazing this car is. The coupe is a stunner and STILL a huge head-turner even after all these years. The engine is smooth and powerful, while making a utterly sweet sound that is feline in nature and fantastically pleasing to the auditory senses. The interior ages well and the leather still smells new. The burled-walnut wood and old-school instruments are eternally classy and luxurious. The car ran perfectly for about 8 years with no problems whatsoever. Like all cars things start to break and need to be replaced. You also have to consider that this was the first year the car was produced and that always comes along with premature failure of certain parts. These parts were mostly redesigned in later years and are typically compatible with the 97 model year. I'd recmmend keeping the car garaged since the last two years I have it outside in the hot florida sun. This has degraded certain rubber parts on the car, caused the headliner glue to fail, and caused premature fracture of certain interior retaining-plastic clips that now rattle. The wood also seems to have been negatively affected by the heat/sun. Of course, fixing anything on this car cost a fortune. The parts are super-expensive, but after all this is a Jaguar and that comes along with owning a luxury car. Overall, even with all its issues in its old age, I truly enjoy every moment I'm with the car and I have yet to drive or see another car that even comes close to it's overall balace, feel, athleticism, luxury, smootheness, classiness, and timelesness. This car is extremly predictable and really gives the sense that it is merely an extension of self while driving. I can think of no better car that allows one to achieve a unity and sense of oneness with the road and the driving experience. I don't think that anyone who drove this car would disagree. Jaguar set out the achieve the true definition of a mechanical cat, and in my opinion, they have achieved just that."

My Knight In Shining Armor

By on Thursday, February 5, 2009

"We purchased our '99 XK8 in '07 from my in-laws who purchased it new. They took amazing care and did not drive it often (35,000/mi in '07). I garage it during the winter (New England) and use it on the weekends during the other seasons. I do not baby this car when I am driving it. The roof if up/down all day long (don't leave it down when out running errands/shopping) and run it @ approx. 80mph when on the highway. My mother-in-law did baby it when driving and we were told that is the worst thing to do - these cars are made to be driven and driven FAST!! It puts a smile on my face every time I put the key in the ignition. My father-in-law has an '08 XJ supercharged that I've driven....what a dream. If you can buy a Jag, you will not be disappointed."

It makes you happy you bought it!

By on Tuesday, April 8, 2008

"I bought this car when it was new, and I've never--not once--regretted the decision. Every time I pull it out of the garage it reminds me how happy I am to own it. The performance is great, I've never had any problems other than general maintenance, my dealer treats me like a king, and believe me--it gets noticed! When I bought it, I had the finances to buy any luxury sports car available in America. Go too exotic, and you're afraid to drive it if there's a drop of rain on the road (or even a cloud on the horizon!). And you're going to attract TOO much attention. Go too plain-vanilla, dime-a-dozen (read Mercedes) and you're just like every other successful guy (or gal) out there. So I decided to save a bunch of cash, be a little out of the ordinary, and bought my first Jaguar. I've never regretted my decision. You won't either--go for it!"

Joy to the Senses

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"While I have always admired the Jaguar coupe lines I was never willing to pull the trigger and always went BMW or Mercedes instead. Well I finally got up the courage to purchase the Jag and wow. First of all the reliability isn't even close. This car has been amazing. Both the BMW and Mercedes allowed me to be on a first name basis with the entire service shop. I can see why Jag just won JD powers most reliable 3 year old car nameplate. I have been very impressed. Beyond reliablity, it is just a treat to drive. The sound is incredible. This car just rumbles. It is hard not to drive hard just so that you can hear that Jaguar note in the exhaust. I like the coupe over the convertible though a moonroof would be a nice option."

Beauty is only skin deep

By on Saturday, May 24, 2008

"These cars without a doubt one of the sexiest vehicles ever produced. With that being said,beware of the atrocious repair and reliability of this car. At 50K the car started to burn oil at an alarming rate.The dealer said this was normal. It turns out it needed a ring and valve job at $$$. At 118K,the tranny is now dying and this will cost $$$. These cars are beautiful money pits. So buyer beware!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XK Series near Honolulu. See local deals