• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2004 Jaguar XJ Series

Based on 33 Ratings for the 2003 - 2009 models.

So much for your money

By on Sunday, June 23, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, power and Elegance."

Cons: "brakes are a little soft"

"I purchased my 04 XJ used with 22k miles. Loved it from day one. One of the best riding cars I have ever had. I have owned mutliple MBZ's and BMW's and this put them to shame. More power than expected, especaily on the freeway. Good comfort and a feel of security. I was surprised at the mileage it got on the freeway. A trip to Napa logged just over 29 MPG, amazing for such a big car. I was told maintenace is expensive but found that these cars can get the oil changed at the local jiffylube or equivalent for around $50.00 Word to the wise, make sure the mechanics are reliable as not all things can be done by your local mechanic. any big items probably should go to a certified jaguar shop. I now have 137,000 miles and have only $1,200 in bills total on this car outside of regular oil changes. Strong smooth and a refreshing car to drive. Heated seats in front and back and even the steering wheel heats up! adjustable pedals for comfort. All around you can't go wrong. One serious note- when buying used make sure the car is fully checked out for any lack of services or mistreated. These are a true find if you can get a one owner well cared for car."

Wonderful car, a dream to drive, & luxurious ride

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

"I have owned this car since it was just a couple of months old, so avoided the extra cost for being the first one to drive it off the car lot. It now has 47,000 miles on it and has had no problems other than simple maintenance. It's beautiful and eye catching; garnering more than it's fair share of admiring comments. The mileage is outstanding for a car of it's size... 32mpg on the freeway 20+ in town. Performance is exceptional. Easy to park and very comfortable for long or short trips. This car has been a joy to own."

Excellent buy for the money

By on Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Depreciation of the value is incredible! No XM"

Favorite Toy!

"Wonderful vehicle! I purchased my 05 Super 8 in 2010 and have put roughly $1500 in the vehicle which included $900 tires. This vehicle has given me NO PROBLEMS AT ALL! If you are able to find one - PURCHASE IT! 400HP..it will outrun just about anything on the street. It has every luxury..EXCEPT Satellite radio. I have owned every luxury vehicle produced and I will never speak other than KUDOS ON THIS ONE!"

Favorite Toy!

Enjoying the entire experience

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

Pros: "Value and complete experience"

Cons: "potential maintenance and repairs"

Black on black beaty

"I recently bought my dream car, a low-low mileage, little old man owned 2006 Jaguar XJ8. While I would have loved to have the XJR this fell into my lap in pristine condition (not a single dent or scratch on it, very much as new) and I had to bite. Taking advantage of the soft-market nature of used Jaguars you can get a lot of car for comparably low dollars. Most people are not aware of the intense Jaguar technology (all aluminum construction, Variable Valve Timing, computer controlled suspension, great fuel economy) and they are not aware that the Lucas Electrical system days (lots of failures) are long gone. This car drives like no other. Smooth, refined, powerful and handles well. The interior appointments leave little to be desired. One is hard pressed to find plastic because the car is all leather and wood inside lending to a feeling that can only be described as, "rich" and "comfortable". How many cars have you owned where you pop out to the garage and click on the blue-tooth just to make your phone call from the car. Well, it is worth it... I don't even have to drive this thing to love it. Driving across California and Nevada I've sported 28.4mpg average both on the computer and at the pump. Find a Mercedes S series that can do that.. you can't. And while the Mercedes peace sign is cool, it doesn't compare the Leaper. The front cockpit is both roomy and comfortable while snugging and supporting the driver at the same time. New cars, even the new Jag, has a very high center console that leaves me feeling like I'm down in a hole (jump in a Ford Taurus if you really want this feeling). The XJ8 arm rest is just right giving a feeling or openness while not feeling like a rolling couch (aka big Cadillac). I've not owned the car long enough to encounter any large maintenance bills save new shoes, which aren't cheap. I am aware of the 60-80,000 mile air suspension repairs common for this car and will just have to take my chances. I love the suspension and will enjoy it till the day it needs an expensive repair... still much cheaper than the Mercedes S series suspension repairs which are MORE common and much more expensive... Oh, I did have a new key made. That wasn't a fun $516 bill. Not much you can do, dealer is the only choice. Besides the great feeling, ride, comfort, fuel economy and power, the appeal of the car is fantastic. Pull up anywhere next to anything and unless it is a Bentley, RR or some other exotic, the Jag will take the ohhs and ahhhs. I gave one of our best friends and his wife a ride the other day. They are Hispanic immigrants. I began to tell the wife about the car and she stopped me mid sentence, saying, "No.. it is a Jaguar (which she pronounced ya-huar), that is all you need to say!" And she stepped in for her ride."

Black on black beaty

"Cool ride!"

By on Friday, January 04, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage and fun to drive"

Cons: "Not enough cup holders"

"Like most foreign cars this one isn't designed for Americans who need coffee cups and water bottles in easy reaching distance all at the same time. But other than that the car is a treat. Great performance. Reliable. And the best gas mileage we've had on a car since I drove my 1960 Morris Minor. It is the only car our 6'8" son in law can ride in without bending his head. At 100,000 miles it's time to trade it in but I don't want to lose the comfort and reliability I have come to enjoy. All that and the young men at McDonalds still say "Cool ride!" When I drive through."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Jaguar XJ Series near Honolulu. See local deals