• 2014 Small Luxury Sport Sedans
2001 Jaguar XJ Series Consumer Reviews

Long-term reliable, IF . . .

By on Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pros: "Exterior design, interior, ride, power, all tops"

Cons: "Plastic cam tensioners & water pump - replace!"

"If you swap out the plastic timing chain tensioners and water pump with metal factory replacements, this car's biggest problem areas will disappear. My 2001 XJR has 124k miles on the clock and remains reliable. It's superior-quality paint and leather are holding up well, keeping the car fresh. It remains structurally tight and drives nearly as new. The engine requires only 1 quart of oil (synthetic) between 10k mile changes. My only concern is the transmission, a 5-speed ZF unit known to fail beyond 80k miles. My shop, Continental Imports in Oakland CA, is trying to preserve it by changing the fluid and filters every 15,000 miles. But even if I need to fork over $5k for a rebuilt transmission, the car is such a bargain, I'll still be dollars ahead."

"Please pass the Grey Poupon"

By on Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pros: "Well made solid car, a real classic"

Cons: "Not a daily driver, 93 octane is a must."

"Last chance to own one of Jaguars flagship luxury sedans. This is the one with the real burl walnut interior trim, to include the fold down picnic tray tables for the rear seat passengers on which to have a light lunch. The brochure claims "The best seat is in the back". This car is British luxury one notch below a Rolls Royce without the price tag and overly obvious bling. This car is properly powered with a 290hp V8, and has the best air conditioning system of any vehicle I have ever owned. I use this car on weekends, and it loves a high speed drive on the highway. When you hit 90, this cat wants to keep on going and it's very tempting with such a stable heavy car...just make sure you have the proper speed rated Michelin tires which will set you back $200 per tire but well worth it for the safety and performance. That was what the engineers at Jaguar mandated for such a heavy car. If you are lucky enough to find one of these offered for sale by the original owner with less that 100K miles, grab it, and hold on to it...in another 25 years these will be worth a small fortune to a collector of British classics. If you don't plan on making a profit, then drive it every day and love it!"

Beautiful and Sweet Driving Lady Big Cat

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun drive"

Cons: "Quirky"

"My Jag is a lady that loves to show her beauty. "M" is her name and she like to be talked to nicely. Her ride is like riding on a cloud. She does not like bad road conditions and yet she will take them on. However, I must always abide by her rules in the Jaguar Book. I don't intend to brag but quite frankly she is wonderful."

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo....

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted

I'd like to receive useful tips, tools and resources via email from Kelley Blue Book.