2002 Isuzu Trooper

Based on 123 Ratings for the 1992 - 2002 models.

good reliability

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"this is a vehicle with good gas milage for the SUV. It is low on power. It has a true 4X4 which is great in mud or snow. It is a SUV that should be very reliable."

Just goes

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I am the second owner of a 94 Trooper, it had 150,000 on it when I bought it in 2004, it has 195,000 now. I got it at a great price, but didn't test it in 4X4, I had to replace both front half axles, while I was at it I replaced all the belts (including the timing belt) and the timing belt cowling (the original was cracked). Other than that I've only had to do routine maintenance and minor repairs due to it's age. The engine has ticked since I bought it, it sounds like a diesel, but it keeps going. Running on the small highways at 60 to 65 it does around 19 MPG in the winter, and around 16 in the summer (the A/C pulls hard on it). It's a bit under powered, but in 4-low I've pulled a number of people out of ditches and snow banks in the winter months. I've used it as a work vehicle and a recreation vehicle, it just keeps going. Even with 195,000 miles it still runs straight. I put good all season tires on it about 25,000 miles ago, there's no uneven wear on them. It will run 70 to 75 on the big HWY's but it's not overly excited about it, it doesn't over heat but it runs hotter than I like it to at those speeds for continuous driving and the mileage will drop down to 17 in the winter and 15 in the summer. For the money I have put into it, The Locust has served me well (it earned the name The Locust after being driven across Kansas in the summer and being nearly covered with splattered grasshoppers). It's just a piece of machinery, but sometimes I feel like it has a personality of it's own, that it just refuses to give up and just keeps going. I have really enjoyed owning and driving The Locust, down the highway, to the grocery store, or through the river, mud, and snow; around the next corner and over the next hill."

Many Good Attributes

By on Friday, November 12, 2010

"I've owned this SUV since 1996. 193,000 miles. Changed brakes at 80,000 and 160,000 miles. New transmission at 150,000. Otherwise, great car. Roomy, comfortable for long trips. 18 mpg highway. Not a lot of pickup (195 hp), but very good in snow. Excellent 4W drive. Rolls a little when heavily loaded. Great visibility, agile handling, hard to give up."

If somone wants an older truck that this is great!

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "durability 4wd looks comfort camping in a pinch"

Cons: "gas mileage chevy engine leaks oil easy to breakin"

"I've owned the trooper now for 6 years. We have a wolf rescue, and take it to the Sierras to camp out of. The truck is amazing on road and off. It is comfortable, has everything you'd want in a new vehicle and you have it for less money than an expensive new SUV. Off road there are not many places it won't go with the right tires. If you can find an old one of these GET IT! Gas mileage about 18 on the highway down to 12 city, so not great,but you will have such fun and haul all of it with you! Great to modify and lift as well. Chevy engine goes and goes but always check the oil! 5 speed is best. Good Luck and happy adventuring wherever you go."

An outstanding value, excellent on and off road.

By on Thursday, December 13, 2012

Pros: "Visibility, turning radius, 4X4 capability"

Cons: "CD disc player is not reliable, transmission @ 90K"

"This is my 2nd trooper, my first was a 1999 limited, and my experience with each of them has been excellent overall. The visibility is outstanding, in my opinion best in class. The turning radius is exceptionally small for a vehicle of its size. I wish they still made, them I would buy another in an instant !!!! Only problem, based on my experiences, is to expect to rebuild the transmission at some where around the 90,000 to 110,000 mile range. Other than that these vehicles have preformed excellently for me !!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Isuzu Trooper near Honolulu. See local deals