1999 Isuzu Trooper

Based on 123 Ratings for the 1992 - 2002 models.

Just goes

By on Monday, June 14, 2010

"I am the second owner of a 94 Trooper, it had 150,000 on it when I bought it in 2004, it has 195,000 now. I got it at a great price, but didn't test it in 4X4, I had to replace both front half axles, while I was at it I replaced all the belts (including the timing belt) and the timing belt cowling (the original was cracked). Other than that I've only had to do routine maintenance and minor repairs due to it's age. The engine has ticked since I bought it, it sounds like a diesel, but it keeps going. Running on the small highways at 60 to 65 it does around 19 MPG in the winter, and around 16 in the summer (the A/C pulls hard on it). It's a bit under powered, but in 4-low I've pulled a number of people out of ditches and snow banks in the winter months. I've used it as a work vehicle and a recreation vehicle, it just keeps going. Even with 195,000 miles it still runs straight. I put good all season tires on it about 25,000 miles ago, there's no uneven wear on them. It will run 70 to 75 on the big HWY's but it's not overly excited about it, it doesn't over heat but it runs hotter than I like it to at those speeds for continuous driving and the mileage will drop down to 17 in the winter and 15 in the summer. For the money I have put into it, The Locust has served me well (it earned the name The Locust after being driven across Kansas in the summer and being nearly covered with splattered grasshoppers). It's just a piece of machinery, but sometimes I feel like it has a personality of it's own, that it just refuses to give up and just keeps going. I have really enjoyed owning and driving The Locust, down the highway, to the grocery store, or through the river, mud, and snow; around the next corner and over the next hill."

If somone wants an older truck that this is great!

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "durability 4wd looks comfort camping in a pinch"

Cons: "gas mileage chevy engine leaks oil easy to breakin"

"I've owned the trooper now for 6 years. We have a wolf rescue, and take it to the Sierras to camp out of. The truck is amazing on road and off. It is comfortable, has everything you'd want in a new vehicle and you have it for less money than an expensive new SUV. Off road there are not many places it won't go with the right tires. If you can find an old one of these GET IT! Gas mileage about 18 on the highway down to 12 city, so not great,but you will have such fun and haul all of it with you! Great to modify and lift as well. Chevy engine goes and goes but always check the oil! 5 speed is best. Good Luck and happy adventuring wherever you go."

Love my Troopers

By on Sunday, April 07, 2013

Pros: "Great interior, warranty and looks great."

"This is my second Trooper. Purchased my first one in1987 and sold it with 175,000 miles. I only sold it to buy a new 2002 Trooper knowing that would be the last year the car would be produced. I wish I had kept the 1987 too. Loved the manual transmission, 4wd and manual roll down windows. Isuzu has the BEST warranty (10 years/120,000). Other than normal maintenance, my transmission had to be replaced at 110,000 miles which was under warranty. The starter recently went out at 115,000. I truly love this car. It is so comfortable and I haven't found anything I like on the market that is similar and/or has a great warranty. My problem is that there are few dealers to service and they are telling me there will be problems getting parts in the next few years. I know Isuzu has SUV's in other countries but they are not importing to USA. I've seen SO many Troopers in South and Central America. My Troopers are part of my family...both of my sons learned to drive with them. I'd buy a third in a minute""

Best vehicle I've ever owned, by far.

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Tough, fun to drive. Maintenance free."

Cons: "After 13 years and 250,000 miles, there are none."

"I bought a 1996 Trooper in 1998. Drove it 225,000 miles. Other than normal maintenance items (tires oil gas, etc) the only repairs needed was starter (160,000), radiator (200,000) and heater blower (220,000 miles.) When trying to decide what to buy to replace this vehicle in the future i could find nothing comparable, so I bought another one. I bought a 1997 with 50,000 miles on it. I've driven it for three years. Put on another 70,000 miles. Total maintenance bill for three years. $0.00. I still drive both vehicles on a daily basis. I beat them to death off-roading on vacation and they keep on fighting for more. They are tough and fun to drive. Enough said..."

All weather, comfortable car.

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Will be priced to sell"

Cons: "Protection plate guards oil filteraccess"

"This car is in the best possible condition. It has never been off the road. One winter in Portland, OR. where it performed great in the snow. The protection of the underside is complete with steel plates in all sensitive positions. It has never ran over-sized tires or any other radical equipment. Signed, Howie"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Isuzu Trooper near Honolulu. See local deals