• Small Luxury Sedan Buyer's Guide

2008 Infiniti FX

Based on 291 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

3 years in and still appreciate it

By on Friday, October 05, 2007

"I purchased my FX-35 in Aug. 04. Its been through two rear end accidents [its Jersey, the tail-gate state] and you wouldn't know it. The frame is like a rock. Holds the road steady. Handles extremely well. Very minor warping of the rotor was resolved when I hat them cut, leveling them, with the last brake change. Still enough rotor for 2-3 more cuts before they will need to be swapped out. I got about 40,000 miles on the first set of tires so when I changed them I replaced them with the same model. Just rotate them regularly and you'll get that kind of mileage [not the 15G I read from another owner]. Oil changes with Mobile 1 synthetic every 5000 miles. I've run it with both 89 and 92 octane gasoline and keep good notes with both. Saw a minor change in mpg, 17.4 w/89 and 17.8 w/92. No engine knock, etc, at the lower octane. Acceleration, etc, the same. I have the engine reverse flow cleaned at 30,000 mile intervals to keep the heads clean, etc. There appears to be no reason not to run this car on good quality regular gasoline [premium is a $.30/g difference in my area and the extra .4/gal difference doesn't rate the extra expense when the car behaves precisely the same otherwise with regular]. A little over 3 years in and the car runs like a top, has all the power it ever had, which was good to begin with, handles well, took a licking and continues on ticking. I really couldn't ask much more of it. I take very good care of my cars as I tend to keep my vehicles for extended periods. On average at least 8 years. This one looks good for at least that many. I highly recommend it. The only cons are the placement of the seat controls on a hard piece of plastic attached immediately to the right side of the driver's seat. Not very comfortable and difficult to adjust [what where they thinking?]. And I would expect a car at this level to have heated side view mirrors. [I have just about every option this car comes with and the 2004 doesn't have heated mirrors. They fog badly in any kind of intemperate weather]"

Great Driving Car, But Still Disappointing

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "Great performing engine, wonderful to drive"

Cons: "Blah Interior, unreliable electronics"

"I am the second owner of this car, having purchased it used with 5,000 miles from a dealer. I put on the next 75,000 miles and still own the car. This is probably the nicest driving car I've ever owned. The six cylinder engine is just incredible: responsive, strong, and fast. It's a joy to enter the freeway. It's quiet and, given that it's not a luxury liner, smooth. The seats, front and rear, are some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. Others have commented favorably as well. The leather has held up well. I simply love driving this car. That's the good part. The not so good? Actually, quite a number of things for a relatively expensive car and a brand that aspires to luxury vehicle status. First the mileage. In this day and age, it's unacceptable for a modern v-6. In city driving expect around 12 - 14 mpg. That's only slightly better than my Dodge v-8 pickup. Highway driving is somewhat better at around 22 mpg. But the instant you get off the freeway, the mileage plummets. The electrical components are where the car really doesn't meet quality standards at any level. The cd player is notorious for failing...check any of the Infiniti forums...and mine did twice. After the first failure, it unexpectedly came back to life after a month or so. Cost to repair at the dealer? $700. No thanks. The tail gate latch, which is electrically wired to the instrument panel to alert you to an open door or gate, also failed. Cost to fix...$450 for the part (yes, you read that right) and another $150 to install. The gas gauge has never worked properly, even after being replaced under warranty. It refuses to show a full tank. The side mirror adjustment panel in the dash pushed back into the panel. Not electrical and not hard to fix, but whaaa??? Finally, as others have mentioned, the dash is bubbling now. That's REALLY aggregating. No other car I've ever owned has had that problem, including two Fords (Mustang GT and SC Coupe), both that had more mileage and were exposed to the same California Valley heat as the FX35. On that note, I also have to say that the interior is spartan. In someways, the clean look is not unattractive, but there is really nothing distinctive about it, and certainly nothing that says "premiere." And please, get rid of the analog clock and put the time in the electronic display, where everyone expects to see it. I can't tell you how many passengers have looked and looked at the dash and then asked what time it is. Ridiculous. As fabulous as this car is to drive, I think there are others in this price range...or even much cheaper...that drive as well and have better reliability and more attractive interiors. I wouldn't buy another Infiniti."

autobahn killer

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"The Infiniti FX 35 with sport pkg. (20' tires, stiffer suspension and monster brakes-see nissan 350Z) is a close second to the Porsche Cayenne for about $30,000 less! Performance like no other crossover on the market for the price. Handles like it's on rails, easily beats those beemers (X5) and most sports cars out there, including the 350Z it's based on. A little hard to park in some cases, but you can get over it."

drives great, has a hard ride.

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, looks awesome"

Cons: "rough ride, not cheap to fix"

"the fx is great to drive, its fun,fast, sounds great and gets decent gas milage. but because it handles so well, it rides rough. however, like my other (previous) nissan (murano), with less than 100,000 miles it needed tie rods, and the rear door locks quit working, not cheap. it well never let me down, or nothing major will break, but nissan needs to sweat all the details. goofy things breaking that my toyota wouldn't even dream about doing."

FX-35

By on Tuesday, September 25, 2007

"My 2004 has 44500 miles on it. Mechanic says the brakes are fine, but they squeal almost constantly. No shaking though, as others have described. Very fast and comfortable, great handling, looks bad to the bone. Not much cargo room for an SUV, but I got a cargo carrier for the roof rack we can use on trips. Something is squeaking in the back at freeway speeds, but it might be my kids carseats. Have to remove skidplate to change the oil. I get about 18MPG in mixed driving. I'm going to need tires soon. Overall, I'm happy."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Infiniti FX near Honolulu. See local deals