2006 Infiniti FX

Based on 291 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Great Driving Car, But Still Disappointing

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "Great performing engine, wonderful to drive"

Cons: "Blah Interior, unreliable electronics"

"I am the second owner of this car, having purchased it used with 5,000 miles from a dealer. I put on the next 75,000 miles and still own the car. This is probably the nicest driving car I've ever owned. The six cylinder engine is just incredible: responsive, strong, and fast. It's a joy to enter the freeway. It's quiet and, given that it's not a luxury liner, smooth. The seats, front and rear, are some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. Others have commented favorably as well. The leather has held up well. I simply love driving this car. That's the good part. The not so good? Actually, quite a number of things for a relatively expensive car and a brand that aspires to luxury vehicle status. First the mileage. In this day and age, it's unacceptable for a modern v-6. In city driving expect around 12 - 14 mpg. That's only slightly better than my Dodge v-8 pickup. Highway driving is somewhat better at around 22 mpg. But the instant you get off the freeway, the mileage plummets. The electrical components are where the car really doesn't meet quality standards at any level. The cd player is notorious for failing...check any of the Infiniti forums...and mine did twice. After the first failure, it unexpectedly came back to life after a month or so. Cost to repair at the dealer? $700. No thanks. The tail gate latch, which is electrically wired to the instrument panel to alert you to an open door or gate, also failed. Cost to fix...$450 for the part (yes, you read that right) and another $150 to install. The gas gauge has never worked properly, even after being replaced under warranty. It refuses to show a full tank. The side mirror adjustment panel in the dash pushed back into the panel. Not electrical and not hard to fix, but whaaa??? Finally, as others have mentioned, the dash is bubbling now. That's REALLY aggregating. No other car I've ever owned has had that problem, including two Fords (Mustang GT and SC Coupe), both that had more mileage and were exposed to the same California Valley heat as the FX35. On that note, I also have to say that the interior is spartan. In someways, the clean look is not unattractive, but there is really nothing distinctive about it, and certainly nothing that says "premiere." And please, get rid of the analog clock and put the time in the electronic display, where everyone expects to see it. I can't tell you how many passengers have looked and looked at the dash and then asked what time it is. Ridiculous. As fabulous as this car is to drive, I think there are others in this price range...or even much cheaper...that drive as well and have better reliability and more attractive interiors. I wouldn't buy another Infiniti."

autobahn killer

By on Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"The Infiniti FX 35 with sport pkg. (20' tires, stiffer suspension and monster brakes-see nissan 350Z) is a close second to the Porsche Cayenne for about $30,000 less! Performance like no other crossover on the market for the price. Handles like it's on rails, easily beats those beemers (X5) and most sports cars out there, including the 350Z it's based on. A little hard to park in some cases, but you can get over it."

drives great, has a hard ride.

By on Friday, July 06, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, looks awesome"

Cons: "rough ride, not cheap to fix"

"the fx is great to drive, its fun,fast, sounds great and gets decent gas milage. but because it handles so well, it rides rough. however, like my other (previous) nissan (murano), with less than 100,000 miles it needed tie rods, and the rear door locks quit working, not cheap. it well never let me down, or nothing major will break, but nissan needs to sweat all the details. goofy things breaking that my toyota wouldn't even dream about doing."

Best car I've owned

By on Friday, October 28, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, fun to drive. Plenty of zip"

Cons: "A little pricey but worth it."

"I used my FX for business traveling approximately 55K per year. After 300,000 miles it still is fun to drive and very reliable. I will buy another."

Buy this

By on Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, fast, ergonomic, great stereo, reliable"

Cons: "Gas mileage, road noise"

"I purchased my 2004 FX in 2006 with 39,000 miles on the odo. Over the last 100k miles this vehicle has never let me down. Quick, fast, easy to drive, reliable, stylish, fun... I'm running out of adjectives here. MPG is 19 in mixed driving, slightly more expensive to insure than a Porche Cayenne (but quicker!), has five seatbelts but it's really a four-seater. The back seats fold perfectly flat and will accomodate 6-foot 2X4's. The road noise at highway speed is really bad, but I bought mid-level tires so that's probably on me. If you find one that has dealership maintenance records then you've found a winner. I've had some repairs (two rack/pinions at $1000 each, valve covers at $700/each, mass air flow sensor @ $300, plus regular maint.) The paint is still fresh even with the hot Phoenix sun baking it for 8 years and 145,000 miles. I will keep this car as long as I can. Love it!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Infiniti FX near Honolulu. See local deals