2014 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,281 - $21,938.

7.9

Based on 96 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Love the turbo!

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Sporty unique look, fun to drive, large trunk"

Cons: "Needs power seats,no dimmer for display screen"

"Loved the 2012 Veloster so much we bought 2 this year and just traded one in for the turbo. The turbo is worth the extra money! Love the push button start, all the added extras, rear camera has a wide view angle. Ride is a lot smoother than the 2012 version and extremely smooth handling. Thinking about trading in our other 2012 for another turbo!"

100 percent satisfied

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Image, economy, performance"

Cons: "No power seat or auto climate control"

White Lightning

"Great little car, sporty handling, economical to drive, over 30 mpg on regular gas. Has all the latest electronic toys and the glass top is very attractive. Every where I go, I get compliments on the looks. The third door and hatch makes it very convenient to access the rear space. The only thing left to make this the perfect sporty coupe is to put the 2.0L turbo under the hood."

White Lightning

Fun if you use the shifter

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Tech value, space, looks, 10/100000 warranty"

Cons: "acceleration in drive, some shoddy interior parts"

The Bulldog

"First the negatives. The biggest complaint I have about this car is acceleration in drive. A lot of hesitation when you punch it. If you have been looking at this car at all, this is no surprise. Also, you will not get 40 mpg hwy unless you drive it 55 on flat roads all the time. And if you like having fun driving like I do, you won't even come close. I deal with the acceleration problem by using the dual clutch shifters. Once you get the hang of it you have plenty of power and you can rev this car to 5K without seeming to stress it. I would recommend manual shift but I have a wife, so.... that's why I got auto. One other thing, the steering wheel started peeling after about 5000 miles. Hyundai replaced but jeez. I've only put 10K miles on it, but there may be some suspect workmanship here and there. Should all be covered though. The positives: You get a lot of good technology for the money. I am going to let BlueLink lapse because I never use/need it. But my entertainment options are almost unlimited and I love handsfree phone. I love the way the car looks, inside and out. I love how much space it has for the size. The trunk will hold two golf bags and a weeks worth of groceries without a problem. I rarely have to put down the back seats. I have three kids and it's ideal for getting them around especially with the third door (which I also love), and I took 3 adult friends to a football game last fall and we were comfortable for two hours each way. One of them fell asleep in back on the way home. This is my favorite car since my 81 Honda Wagon. Hyundai to me are what Honda used to be."

The Bulldog

Great Funky Car for it's Value (Turbo)

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Great power, very tech oriented, great value"

Cons: "Spotty handling, Electric Steering"

"I own the Turbo with the 6 speed Auto (Conventional Auto not the Dual Clutch model in the NA Veloster). Have driven it all over the eastern U.S. in the 5 months. Overview: The turbo model is quite spritely, and honestly the Auto is better than the manual. I drove both, the manual combined with the ECU oriented drivetrain design introduces painful amounts of turbo lag. But the Auto is great especially in sport mode or using the manual shift function is great and keeps the car always in its ideal power band. I chose this over the Genesis Coupe because it has a ton more useable space, and was cheaper with more standard features, and has pretty good gas mileage for its power. Things I love: The quirky design, its unique and gets lots of questions. The turbo motor makes a pretty nice sound under load, and has very useful torque band for day-to-day driving. The ridiculously good standard features on the turbo model, the sound system is amazing, I love the Pandora app and the streaming bluetooth audio. The hand's-free and voice control works pretty good. Of all the infotainment systems I've seen in cars this is amongst the most user friendly. On smooth roads the car is glued to the road, I take corners at 3 times the speed other people do, not smooth roads (see thoughts below). The blue features are pretty cool (I use the remote start from my phone all the time), the fact I never have to take the key out of my pocket, I can walk up to the car and press the button on the handle to unlock, get in the car and push the push start, its awesome! Things that need improved: Some of the buttons and stalk stuff seem awkwardly placed. The ride can be rougher than it needs to be (Hard ride is not necessary for sporty handling). The electric steering doesn't always seem to know what its doing and seems to get confused when in a hard turn and then having to suddenly slow down. Things I don't like: The rear suspension needs some serious tweaking, everything is great as long as the road is smooth, but if you hit an expansion joint at the right angle in a turn the rear end will step out which is jarring and not confidence inspiring to say the least. The interior is getting pretty rattly especially in the dash, a combination of a stiff suspension and not the greatest chassis contribute to this. The visibility is poor (I knew this buying it), but for such a small car it has some huge blind spots. I am hoping to fix the suspension and add some chassis bracing to make the car near perfect! Bottome Line: I think this is a pretty solid start for Hyundai into the Hot Hatch market. They have made amazing strides in the last few years, I think them and Kia are the Toyota of the 90's in the 201X's. For it's value and standard equipment it's hard to find a comparable model."

Great Little Car for the Price

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Great price for the features, excellent mpg"

Cons: "Sluggish acceleration for 138 hp"

At the Dealership

"This car met all of my expectations, except for acceleration, which is a little sluggish for a 138hp engine, and larger than normal blind spots (fixed with fish-eye mirrors). I use it mostly to commute to and from work in Dallas, and average 31 mpg with A/C on, and 35 mpg with A/C off. What really surprised me was the highway mileage; I drove to Richmond, VA and back, and averaged 38 mpg on the Interstate. The front seats are comfortable, and the two back seats are acceptable if you aren't tall (I'm 5'10, and have no problems). The audio system is very good, and blue-tooth links effortlessly. The nav system is accurate, although loading the address information could be better. The car looks good, and I get a lot of inquiries and positive comments. Overall I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy driving the Veloster."

At the Dealership