2014 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $17,092 - $17,557.

7.6

Based on 81 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Don't judge a book by its cover

By on Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Pros: "Great looks, Great Gas Mileage, Good sound system"

Cons: "No Vroom, Bad in any "Wet" weather"

"Don't get me wrong I do love my Velostar (named her Vivian) but what she has under the hood just doesn't cut it for me. I have a 6 spd manual and I really expected to have just a bit more get up and go and it's the most disappointing part of this car. She does have great gas mileage and I can fit both of my dogs in fine. Also snow driving isn't the best- not surprised being so low. If you are thinking about this car I say get the turbo, fix it up and use as a weekend, getaway or summer car."

Inexpensive yet unique

By on Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Pros: "inexpensive, fun, unique style, great interior"

Cons: "bluelink is limited, rear camera is blurry anddark"

"Bought a 2015 veloster rspec in december 2014 for $23,800 The car has been a fun and enjoyable car to drive. The unique styling and turbo motor makes this vehicle fun and exciting and turns many heads. Headlights are bright maybe too bright since i've had people flashing but thats a compliemnt in my opinion."

My second favorite car after my '67 E-type Jag

By on Thursday, January 08, 2015

Pros: "Great price, not your typical econobox"

Cons: "The turbo model didn't come in yellow"

"Love this car. 20K miles and it is doing great. Over 30 mpg in everyday driving and over 35 on 75 mph trips. Front seats are very comfortable. I have made several 15 hour trips without feeling tired or sore. The back seat is small, but hey, it is a sub-compact. The Veloster can carry a surprising amount of stuff with the back seat down. Gets lots of positive comments at the gas station."

Love the looks, super fun to drive

By on Sunday, January 04, 2015

"This is the best looking small car on the road in my opinion. I have had a few electrical problems - and of course those can't be fixed until the car won't run at all because the electronic issues shut the car down completely. Fantastic warranty though. Without these little bugs, I'd say it is the best small car ever! It is very roomy for a compact car and super fun to drive. Love the gas mileage."

Some Love Lost

By on Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Pros: "Great Looking, Tech Savy extras"

Cons: "Noisy OEM tires, rough shifting"

"I bought this car new and have put all the miles on it myself. I loved the look of this car from the moment I first saw it. It has great style and I love the panorama roof. Despite all of my previous vehicles having leather seats, I did not miss them at all in the Veloster. Hyundai certainly has put alot of time and effort into interior styling, as the car has just about every bell and whistle possible. And the gas mileage has met my expectations for the most part. So why didn't I rate it a 10? Because like other reviewers I dislike the hesitation during exceleration from a complete stop. The only way to avoid it is to use the manual paddle shift. In automatic the car just has no get up and go, and the hesitation from 1st to 2nd is really bad. Also, the OEM tires (Kuhmo) were terrible. They wore out very quickly and were very noisy. I had to replace two before I had even 20,000 miles on the car....I'm a 56 year old women (not a teenager tearing up the road). And the minute I replaced the first 2 tires, I noticed a significant difference in noise level. Overall I have really enjoyed owning this car, although disappointed by the OEM tires and hesitation."

I think this car is under rated by prof'l drivers

By on Thursday, November 06, 2014

Pros: "Great value and a quality product"

Cons: "minimum rear seat head room"

"I have been surprised...the car is quiet, fuel efficient, well designed...really uniqe...reasonably priced...and thus far a real pleasure to own and drive...Head room is minimum, especially for the occasional back seat passenger, but, access to the back seat is great...I really think it is a "sleeper" which has had some really questionable professional reviews. It is the same quality and reliability as other Hyundai products...and really a unique vehicle....I love mine...and it replaced a VW Beetle Convertibile...The top doen't go down, but the complete sun roof is great...and not as windy as a topless vehicle...Recommend that any one who wants a unique vehicle which is quiet, fun to drive, and amazingly fuel economic..with enough trunk space for a couple of people to travel for and extended period.....try a Veloster at an amzingly low price....and it does not need to be a Turbo...Mine is a 2013 standard...Quietest engine I have had in any car over the past 10 years."

Fun car

By on Tuesday, November 04, 2014

"The Veloster is a fun car but don't let its sporty looks let you think it is a fast car because it isn't. It has a small economy engine (hence my overall avg gas mileage of 32-33 mpg) with little acceleration power. But its a great looking car (I've received more compliments on this 1 car than all the previous cars I've owned combined and that has included an Acura, a Honda, 2 Toyotas, 2 Mazdas and a 1969 Olds Cutlass.) Many convenient features too."

I love this car

By on Sunday, November 02, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive and stylish"

Cons: "None so far"

"I have not purchased a new car in over 20 years. When I saw the veloster pass me on the road, I knew that was my car. I purchased the Veloster base 6 speed. It is everything I thought it would be. Its fun, freeing and good on gas. This is not a car I would have purchase if my children were young, but since they are adults now this car is exactly for me. I am not a car person, but the Veloster has turned me into one. I want to frame a picture of it to have in my office!"

A little pocket rocket

By on Sunday, October 26, 2014

Pros: "Unique and fun"

Cons: "Turbo version is a must"

"Remember the 1988 Hyundai Excel. Well, this is not that 80s Hyundai anymore. The company has evolved into a world class auto maker contender earning award winning designs and performances repeatedly. The Turbo version is a must for added hp but you need to know how to take advantages of those extras. It's a joy to drive a TGDI engine with Shiftronic and paddle shifters. Disregard all the negative reviews. Beautiful design inside and out. Tech savvy will love it. It's a smorgasbord of media connectivities. Hyundai paid very good attention to details on this car, even the license plate gets its own Veloster emblem, very well build and made as well with almost 30% discount in compare to other brands with similar 'luxury' items. Rear view camera is an awesome feature. The front grille looks very aggressive and the rear is so sexy with twin chrome exhaust Slalom is very smooth and agile. Great mpg too. Get one while it last, you'll love it."

i put in a cold air intake, magna flow exhaust

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Pros: "alldone on regular fuel"

Cons: "oem tires stink"

"also a short shifter kit best bang and most fun you can have for under 25k started using premium fuel and its a little rocket"

best car ever made

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Pros: "fast, cool, sporty"

Cons: "speeding tickets"

"I want everyone to know that this car will bring life back into you. It is a very special car and is exciting to drive. Great ride and two thumbs up for hyundai for making this an achievement all its own!"

AmaZING!!

By on Sunday, October 12, 2014

Pros: "Quick, agile, stylish, fun to drive, warranty"

Cons: "Low headroom in back"

2014 VT MT

"I had wanted the VT since it was first announced. I have had turbo'd cars in the past, including a 2006 Subaru STi. So, I'm familiar with small motor/forced induction and performance. This car does not disappoint. While it only has a 1.6L motor, the Twin-Scroll definitely provides some scoot! I added a K&N typhoon short ram and this improved performance even more! I am very happy with the car overall. It has great mileage, is stylish, turns heads, sounds great, and is quick without being over the top! I opted for the 6spd manual. Loads of fun:-D All 10's in my book!"

2014 VT MT

New to it, but love it so far!

By on Friday, October 10, 2014

Pros: "Stylish, Gas Mileage"

Cons: "Radio System"

"I've had my 2014 Veloster Turbo for about 4 months now and absolutely love it. This thing has some get up and go (for the most part, I'll explain in a bit). It was everything that I thought it would. I only have a few things that I'll point out they may concern some buyers. (1) This thing will move!! Its pick up is great. If you punch the gas, it will go. With that being said, the more people you have in the car, the less pep you get. I don't notice it as much with one passenger, but when it gets to 2-3 passengers you can notice a difference. For me (and I would think most others looking at this vehicle to purchase), I typically don't have more than one passenger. This is one of the reasons I chose a smaller hatchback. I wanted to take advantage of the great gas mileage since I was normally only carrying one passenger. (2) The stereo could be much better. The speaker are below par to me. But for full disclosure, I previously had a 2011 Jeep Liberty that had a Bose stereo system in it. So there probably are not too many other systems that were going to compete with that. (3) Just a pet peeve for me and this will sound petty, but its still frustrating. The automatic window option is only on the drivers side. So you can click it once to completely raise or lower the driver side window, but you have to hold the button down or up to raise or lower the passenger side window. Seems trivial, I know, but its a annoying. Other than those 3 things, this car is awesome and everything I expected it to be."

Fun and surprisingly peppy for 40+mpg

By on Monday, September 29, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas, Fun to drive."

Cons: "Small back seat, performance is decent, no wows."

"I've routinely hit 45mpg on relaxing cruises or highway trips. It's not quite as powerful as some might expect for a turbo, but the fuel economy to performance is still pretty impressive. I've only put 1600 miles on mine thus far, but so far I am very happy with the quality of the vehicle. It's quiet, the sound system is above average based on my experience with other cars in this price range. The interior is very comfortable to the front seat passenger and driver. The back seat has low head clearance, and though the 3rd door is a very handy add-on, the back seat is no more roomy than your average 2 door coupe. Nice sturdy and well placed car seat tie downs, so that and the 3rd door would probably be very nice for a new family looking for something a bit sporty. The shift isn't a smooth as I'd like, but it's perhaps slightly better than average. Not the flawless quick action you'd find in a civic though. I was choosing between this and a SI, and ultimately the warranty and a good experience with a dealership led me to this vehicle."

Love it

By on Thursday, September 25, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, hugs the road, many comments on it"

Cons: "blind spot on the right"

"We bought our 2014 turbo automatic with style & tech pkg. new in March of 2014.We have taken it on 5 long road trips. We are retired and my normal driving is short trips. My mileage around town avg.is 33. On the road trips it is 37.And even though I am older my driving style is that of a younger person. It's automatic, but has a sport mode and paddle shifters for the manual feel. We don't routinely have passengers, but we have and the back seats are sufficient for someone 5'8". I have had no problems.It is incredibly fun to drive,many comments on the style and holds the road better than any other of the many vehs. I have owned. The ONLY drawback is a blind spot on the right side. Drivers side has a blind spot mirror. I would buy it again in a heartbeat."

Hard to beat for the money

By on Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Pros: "Great looks, cool to drive, outstanding mpg,"

Cons: "No cons really.. Hard to beat for the money"

"This vehicle gets far better mpg than they estimate if you drive sensibly. It is 22 miles to work (99% freeway)and I get anywhere from 40-45 mpg, depending which way the wind is blowing and the temperature. I find an 18 wheeler and stay 5-6 car lengths behind and that's it. I've had mine up to 127mph with the car wanting to continue to climb...The turbo version might be quicker and get far less mpg, but my style package Velo will easily walk away from it on the top end! For less money all the way around! The turbo version has a limiter/top end of about 105mph. BWAAAHAhahaha!! I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room.. Haven't really had it on a road trip per say,but have driven it for 3 and 4 hours in a day and have no complaints yet."

Well-liked car

By on Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"I've received more comments (all favorable) from people about this car than all the previous cars I've owned combined. And I've had Acura, Toyota, Honda and Mazda before. Though the car is sporty looking, it is nothing but an economy car under the hood. So there's little acceleration while getting that good mileage. I imagine the Turbo version (only released after I had bought my non-turbo version) has better acceleration. Still, with bluetooth, Pandora the panoramic moonroof it's a fun car at a very low price."

overall review

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "great sporty look ,,,mileage ,,looks great"

Cons: "only thing is wish it had bigger motor"

"i bought my car yhis year ,,has been great to drive ..only wish it had more horse power.overall ,inside out its a great car ,,sporty ride,sporty inside.great gas mileage..handles great sound system great"

Third Review 22800 miles

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to look at and drive"

Cons: "Huge blindspot"

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

"I have reviewed my 2012 Veloster in this forum before. I purchased it new and have put every mile on it. I thought it would be nice to report how it has performed over the long haul. First, it still attracts attention mostly due to the the design and the painted blue inserts on the wheels that came with the style package. As the engine has aged the performance has not deteriorated at all and is adequate for all driving conditions. Some reviewers are turned off by its very sporty design and sub compact performance. My only comment for that is maybe all sub compacts should look like Nissan Versa's (boring). It has not suffered any mechanical breakdowns and has only been to the dealer for routine service (oil changes and tire rotations). The OEM tires seem to wear quickly and road noise is more noticeable now and I rotate twice per year. The interior is solid and does not exhibit any rattles or squeaks. Everything works as new. The only complaint is the horrible blind spot that is a product of its cool design. 2012 models did not come with a blind spot mirror, so you must adjust your driving style to avoid potentially dangerous situations during left turns. Overall after 2 years this has been a joy to own and Very Reliable. I have never had any regrets about purchasing this car."

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

This car is a eye stopper

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Price and quality"

Cons: "Has blind spot from large mirrors"

"The Veloster likes high speed and long distances. On a trip the mileage is averages 57, however in town a low 14-19. It holds the road even with my low profile tires better than any other car I have driven. It does the corners like butter. The hatch back gives me plenty of storage space. For a very low price this is a very high quality automobile."

NIce looking, great sound system but...........

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Looks and sound system in the style pkg"

Cons: "Engine. Barely beats a riding mower"

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

"I am 54 years old and have had many cars both new and used. this car looks great and the sound system is awesome, but the performance is one of the absolute worst I have ever driven. The Dual Clutch Technology is great and all, but there is a distinct pause when you let off the gas and upon acceleration it bucks a bit. Very annoying. Dealer tells me it is normal as the computer delay in detecting if you are in manual or automatic. Highway driving it can't get out of its own way so I have to resort to manual use to get any power what so ever. So if you want something fast get a VW Bug as that car beats the Veloster in the 1/4 mile. I will not buy another Hyundai."

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

Fun to drive, great gas mileage!

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not good for country / rough road driving."

"This is a great car if the area you drive in has smooth rides. It is fun to drive and far exceeds the stated gas mileage (averages 35 or better)."

Great non-family Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "3rd door is handy, great tech, handles well"

Cons: "interior size, lower power, younger look"

"I have had the Veloster for just over 2 years now. It has been a great car for me, but I am going to move on. In short, the car handles great and is a joy to drive in (lots of tech features). The upholstery is comfortable and easy to clean. The interior design is very stylish and matches the exterior style. The features are incredible for the price (I stopped at the Style Package; no Tech Package for me) and the driving experience was above average for me. The MPG is totally dependent on how I drive and I get anywhere from 28 mpg to 42 mpg. The low tends to be when there are a lot of stop lights and acceleration afterwards; the high tends to be from long trips where the car sees nothing but highway. It really makes me conscious of how I drive. There have been times when I wish I could've had more pep in the acceleration as well. The 6-speed was built for high MPG and did a good job of that. So why am I "moving on"? For a couple of reasons. First I work at a fortune 500 company, and my car is flashy.... yet "young" looking. Let's just say that wearing a suit is overdressed for this car style (this is my opinion). The other reason is passengers. My wife and I are fine taking the car, but I cannot get my father, mother, or coworkers to take the car frequently. So, we revert to my wife's vehicle for these occasions (which is worse on gas). Again, it is a compact and is expected. Finally, the main reason for "moving on" is the fact about starting a family. I need something a little bigger that will hold a baby seat here shortly and possibly leave in. One back door suffices for me now, but in the future, I will need to use two doors (one baby side, one storage side). I really enjoyed this car, but I am not straying too far from it. I am looking at a cousin of hers name Kia Optima SX. Sporty, but a little more classier looking (European-esque; to me it is like comparing a Civic Hatch vs an Audi A4), more HP, comparable MPG, larger, a couple more options, and more room for passengers! Plus my current car is manual transmission (my wife can, but won't drive it), and the Optima SX is paddle/auto. I know the option is there for Velosters, but I didn't take it the first time."

Unreliable!!!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. The stereo will go dead, then in a day or two the car itself will be dead! The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and are waiting on a response. We asked the dealer today if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me."

Unreliable!!!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next