2013 Hyundai Veloster Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $21,449 - $22,164.

7.3

Based on 63 Ratings for the 2012 - 2014 models.

7.5/10
    7.2/10
    7.2/10
Previous | 1 2 3 | Next

Third Review 22800 miles

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to look at and drive"

Cons: "Huge blindspot"

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

"I have reviewed my 2012 Veloster in this forum before. I purchased it new and have put every mile on it. I thought it would be nice to report how it has performed over the long haul. First, it still attracts attention mostly due to the the design and the painted blue inserts on the wheels that came with the style package. As the engine has aged the performance has not deteriorated at all and is adequate for all driving conditions. Some reviewers are turned off by its very sporty design and sub compact performance. My only comment for that is maybe all sub compacts should look like Nissan Versa's (boring). It has not suffered any mechanical breakdowns and has only been to the dealer for routine service (oil changes and tire rotations). The OEM tires seem to wear quickly and road noise is more noticeable now and I rotate twice per year. The interior is solid and does not exhibit any rattles or squeaks. Everything works as new. The only complaint is the horrible blind spot that is a product of its cool design. 2012 models did not come with a blind spot mirror, so you must adjust your driving style to avoid potentially dangerous situations during left turns. Overall after 2 years this has been a joy to own and Very Reliable. I have never had any regrets about purchasing this car."

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

This car is a eye stopper

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Price and quality"

Cons: "Has blind spot from large mirrors"

"The Veloster likes high speed and long distances. On a trip the mileage is averages 57, however in town a low 14-19. It holds the road even with my low profile tires better than any other car I have driven. It does the corners like butter. The hatch back gives me plenty of storage space. For a very low price this is a very high quality automobile."

NIce looking, great sound system but...........

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Looks and sound system in the style pkg"

Cons: "Engine. Barely beats a riding mower"

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

"I am 54 years old and have had many cars both new and used. this car looks great and the sound system is awesome, but the performance is one of the absolute worst I have ever driven. The Dual Clutch Technology is great and all, but there is a distinct pause when you let off the gas and upon acceleration it bucks a bit. Very annoying. Dealer tells me it is normal as the computer delay in detecting if you are in manual or automatic. Highway driving it can't get out of its own way so I have to resort to manual use to get any power what so ever. So if you want something fast get a VW Bug as that car beats the Veloster in the 1/4 mile. I will not buy another Hyundai."

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

Fun to drive, great gas mileage!

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not good for country / rough road driving."

"This is a great car if the area you drive in has smooth rides. It is fun to drive and far exceeds the stated gas mileage (averages 35 or better)."

Great non-family Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "3rd door is handy, great tech, handles well"

Cons: "interior size, lower power, younger look"

"I have had the Veloster for just over 2 years now. It has been a great car for me, but I am going to move on. In short, the car handles great and is a joy to drive in (lots of tech features). The upholstery is comfortable and easy to clean. The interior design is very stylish and matches the exterior style. The features are incredible for the price (I stopped at the Style Package; no Tech Package for me) and the driving experience was above average for me. The MPG is totally dependent on how I drive and I get anywhere from 28 mpg to 42 mpg. The low tends to be when there are a lot of stop lights and acceleration afterwards; the high tends to be from long trips where the car sees nothing but highway. It really makes me conscious of how I drive. There have been times when I wish I could've had more pep in the acceleration as well. The 6-speed was built for high MPG and did a good job of that. So why am I "moving on"? For a couple of reasons. First I work at a fortune 500 company, and my car is flashy.... yet "young" looking. Let's just say that wearing a suit is overdressed for this car style (this is my opinion). The other reason is passengers. My wife and I are fine taking the car, but I cannot get my father, mother, or coworkers to take the car frequently. So, we revert to my wife's vehicle for these occasions (which is worse on gas). Again, it is a compact and is expected. Finally, the main reason for "moving on" is the fact about starting a family. I need something a little bigger that will hold a baby seat here shortly and possibly leave in. One back door suffices for me now, but in the future, I will need to use two doors (one baby side, one storage side). I really enjoyed this car, but I am not straying too far from it. I am looking at a cousin of hers name Kia Optima SX. Sporty, but a little more classier looking (European-esque; to me it is like comparing a Civic Hatch vs an Audi A4), more HP, comparable MPG, larger, a couple more options, and more room for passengers! Plus my current car is manual transmission (my wife can, but won't drive it), and the Optima SX is paddle/auto. I know the option is there for Velosters, but I didn't take it the first time."

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. The stereo will go dead, then in a day or two the car itself will be dead! The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and are waiting on a response. We asked the dealer today if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me."

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Very unreliable!! Customer service is non-existant"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. At first the stereo will go dead, then a day or two later the car will itself will go dead. It will not start, turn over, or even click. The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. They are only offering us "Black Book" for the Veloster. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and again. We asked the dealer if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. And as of this post 4/11/2014 Hyundai still has not made us an offer above "Black Book" for a car with 8,300 miles and 10 months old. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me. They do not care about their customers. We are filing a claim with the BBB over this."

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Very unreliable!! Customer service is non-existant"

Sporty but managable

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sport vs mpg, styling"

Cons: "visibility, limited option packages"

"The feel of this car is fantastic. It provides a sporty feel but does transfer road bumps into the cabin. Despite the sometimes small jostling motion from bad roads, the car grips on turns and maintains control. This smaller sport hatchback also has plenty of room for a big guy (the back, not so much). The backseat is good for smaller people or the occasional carpool, and the trunk space fits a lot of stuff based on looking at the car from the outside. It would be nice to get the navigation/back-up camera without having to purchase the sunroof also."

Great vehicle for price

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Great on mileage, interior, zippy, unique design"

Cons: "Rear seating"

"I have owned this car (2013 Turbo) for about a year now. It is white with blue accent interior. I initially fell in love with this car due to the design, since it stands out and is unique with its 3 door design. It definitely turns heads and people often ask me what type of car it is. It is a very fun to drive car, especially since most of my miles are city miles. I rarely take highways on my way to work, so I'm getting about 26mpg city. I am a big guy, 300lbs, 6', and I feel comfortable driving it. I have about 4-5 inches of head clearance, so I'm doomed in a rollover. The back seat spacing is pretty tight, so if you have any tall/big friends, do not plan on asking them if they need a ride. The back seating might be okay for a child or young teen. I love all the interior features of the car. It is very modern and techy. I was satisfied with the quality of the stereo system included. It is not too much, and not too little with sound. The touch screen is bright and responsive. People complain a lot about the rear view window, but I honestly have no troubles viewing outside of it. Keyless entry and remote start are some of my favorite features of the car. TL;DR: Great on mileage, low profile, zippy, small rear seating, worth buying."

my car was great value, good milage, handled well

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "great handlling, gas mileage great, looks great"

Cons: "small, not alot of room, radio electrical problems"

"the car handles well great gas mileage, not good in snow very light, but with studs ok, very small no room for xtra. depends on what your looking for the value was great the time I had to buy"

fun to drive

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "excellent gas mileage, priced right, fun to drive"

Cons: "no front passenger adjustable seats"

"fun to drive...YES. This car is sporty, zippy and great on gas. We get lots of looks when we pass. It's not overly ginger-bread with options. Just fun, easy to park. We get 35 to 38 mpg. depending on hills or traffic. The a/c and heater are tops and very comfortable. We wish the front passenger seat could be adjusted to raise higher since the sun visors don't really help. Other than that, no complaints."

Speed, Style, and Value

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Size, Fuel Efficiency, Style, Cargo, Speed, Radio,"

Cons: "Front bumber is a little low, BlueLink is sketchy."

"I bought a 2013 Veloster Turbo Matte Black in November. Nearly every day I tell this car that I love it. It's easy to park, fast, nimble and comfortable and an absolute head-turner. The team at Fairfax Hyundai went above and beyond to make sure I was blissful, and still am. Tech Package- I love my back-up camera, great view, even in the rain. Panoramic sunroof is huge. Cons: The Bluelink is inconsistent and difficult to use (and I'm in the technology field). GPS is not user friendly."

Economic w/ loads of options

By on Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pros: "Cheap to own, fun to drive, MPG-MPG-MPG!!"

"Had my Veloster for 2 weeks now and I love it. Great gas mileage (33 city/45+ hwy). Easy and fun to drive."

would not buy again

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "no pleasure at all to drive"

Cons: "no comment"

"I find the veloster to ride rough on any rood conditions due to the low profile tires.gas milage is not good and entering and exiting is kind of hard ,to short and low over head.also there is no spare tire that comes with the vehicle.bad move."

The worst car I've ever owned

By on Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Pros: "looks alright"

Cons: "Unreliable, terrible driving dynamics, bad quality"

"In 30,000 miles I have had the following work done: Five new head units, Three new clutches, Two new rear brake assemblies, Two new steering wheels, Two new shift knobs, One new rear subframe, and One new transmission. The car is a squeaking, rattling mess. The driving dynamics are horrible - the back of the car kicks out if the road isn't smooth as glass, and the steering is numb and unresponsive. The brakes are mushy and the fluid boils easily. The dealerships are incompetent and routinely damage the car when it's in for service, which it often is. I have nothing good to say about this awful, awful car."

Dissappointing !

By on Monday, March 03, 2014

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "It does not deliver on many counts"

"It constantly has issues once you use turn by turn. After 2 months, it still thinks I want to continue my route !! The seats are thin and cheesy. The engine and gearbox are dogs ! Too slow and not enough power, the MPG is descent but at the expense of the long waits when you have to go thru the gearbox. I'm done !For the traffic feature ? That is terrible ! I now use my iPhone The suspension is very basic, meaning going over bad surfaces, you rattle your teeth and you feel that the tires lifted off the road a little bit. Blue Link is not very good. After a while I hated to use it. Because it is so inadequate"

100 percent satisfied

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Image, economy, performance"

Cons: "No power seat or auto climate control"

White Lightning

"Great little car, sporty handling, economical to drive, over 30 mpg on regular gas. Has all the latest electronic toys and the glass top is very attractive. Every where I go, I get compliments on the looks. The third door and hatch makes it very convenient to access the rear space. The only thing left to make this the perfect sporty coupe is to put the 2.0L turbo under the hood."

White Lightning

Best design in years

By on Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Pros: "Great on gas, fun to drive, excellent features"

Cons: "voice recognition not so great"

"I bought this car 6 months ago. It was really hard to find! I was looking for a white ultimate package. Which took a few months to find. Ever since I've had the car I have had many compliments on the car. I haven't had any problems with the car. It's fun to drive, I love when the turbo kicks in and I am planning to do some minor modifications to improve the handling. This is my first turbo car and I am glad I went with Hyundai. I decided to do this because of the great warranty, and this is one of their best designed vehicles I've seen in years."

Car is perfect!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Style, dual-clutch trans, gas mileage, 3-doors"

"15,000 miles/One year old. No problems - not one. One reviewer has rattles, mine is tight, no rattles, squeaks, etc. The dual-clutch is a manual auto-shift trans. It is not a normal slush-box, it feels different, i love it. Rain when opening the hatch? No problems with that. No blown speakers (stop turning the volume to 200 and they wont blow, it's not a Led Zepplin concert). Also, easily get 40mpg on freeways using the eco-button, AND the car is not slow. No problems merging on freeways, etc. It is not a drag-racer, it's a daily-driver geared toward fuel economy. Maybe I just got lucky and got a real good one, but in summary, this car has been perfect. I have no regrets and LOVE THIS CAR. 2013 Ironman Silver."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "fuel efficient, fun, mean look"

Cons: "small rear head room"

"Best car I have ever owned. The style package is perfect and it brought everything I wanted in the car. the transmission is smooth and its a fun car."

love this car

By on Saturday, November 09, 2013

Pros: "great gas mileage smooth handling sporty look"

Cons: "wish it had a little more horsepower"

"i get complements all the time on this car all the time . its fits my eclectic personality to a tee. this car gets great gas mileage and has a really comfortable ride and interior. mine is boston red with red leather interior and it has the tech and style packages. i hope to have this car for a long time. i would recommend the veloster to anyone that likes a sporty looking and smaller vehicle."

An absolutely brilliant car for the young.

By on Monday, October 07, 2013

Pros: "Brilliant interior amenities and great power"

Cons: "small, unmportant imperfections in quality"

"So, here's the deal. You're probably not going to see too many of these cars on the road or in driveways because, lets face it, the three door design isn't really catching on to the traditional car buyers. But they are depriving themselves of a stylish, sensible, and reliable car that loves to get up and go. I was lucky enough to pick up an "ultra black" Veloster Turbo without the ultimate package (simply because I would lose the deal if I had to get one shipped in) for 19 grand and some change. I got behind the wheel and I fell in love with it instantly. I'm a 19 year old auto school graduate who loves going fast, so you can tell why I gravitated toward the turbo model. The steering is astounding because it has a smooth, luxurious feel to it without sacrificing responsiveness and accuracy. The ride was also a huge selling point for me. It feels as if you are riding on glass when sitting in the front OR the back. Hyundai has kept the body roll to a minimum while reducing the chances of understeer as much as possible in a front wheel drive. If you haven't already done your research, the interior electronics are as easy as they are advanced. The huge touchscreen is beautiful and precise. Its just like using an ipad, just without the glass. And the sound system?... I can't even describe it. Its unbelievable. It will definitely have to be heard first hand to understand my loss for words. My only two issues with the car are minor. 1. The headliner is a tad thin, when you press on it, it pops in and out quite noticeably. It's not really a big deal, just an observation I've made. 2. The front lip of the grille is kind of floppy. Its definitely secure, but it has a bit of a cheap feel to it. I may do something to fix this myself, but I do ask for Hyundai's attention on this. All in all, it is a truly brilliant car. Another visual and practical masterpiece from Hyundai. I really hope that everyone who is in the market looking for a hot hatchback will give the Veloster Turbo a try. You will NOT be disappointed. I know I wasn't."

Excellent value and fun!

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Fast, gas mileage, tech goodies"

Cons: "Small back seat, stiff suspension"

"I have turbo and ultimate package, good gas mileage, quick, absolutely no problems, no rattles"

Previous | 1 2 3 | Next