2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 112 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

Car is perfect!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Style, dual-clutch trans, gas mileage, 3-doors"

"15,000 miles/One year old. No problems - not one. One reviewer has rattles, mine is tight, no rattles, squeaks, etc. The dual-clutch is a manual auto-shift trans. It is not a normal slush-box, it feels different, i love it. Rain when opening the hatch? No problems with that. No blown speakers (stop turning the volume to 200 and they wont blow, it's not a Led Zepplin concert). Also, easily get 40mpg on freeways using the eco-button, AND the car is not slow. No problems merging on freeways, etc. It is not a drag-racer, it's a daily-driver geared toward fuel economy. Maybe I just got lucky and got a real good one, but in summary, this car has been perfect. I have no regrets and LOVE THIS CAR. 2013 Ironman Silver."

This car is a eye stopper

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Price and quality"

Cons: "Has blind spot from large mirrors"

"The Veloster likes high speed and long distances. On a trip the mileage is averages 57, however in town a low 14-19. It holds the road even with my low profile tires better than any other car I have driven. It does the corners like butter. The hatch back gives me plenty of storage space. For a very low price this is a very high quality automobile."

Reliable Sporty Eye Catching

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Pros: "Sporty, eye catch, all weather car."

Cons: "NAV maps"

V at the the lake.

"I bought my 2013 26.2 yellow nav package mannual Dec 2012. I have 31,000 miles on it. I live in Iowa along the Mississippi river. Winters can be harsh. Summers hot and humid. The seasons can destroy a car all on its own. I drive this car as my work car daily. So it was important to be reliable. The V has been very reliable to me. On average I get 32-34 city. 37-40 highway. Mileage depends heavily on the octane of gas. This car hates 87 octane with ethanol. Actually mileage is lower with any ethanol gas. You want high mileage. Run 91+ octane fuel. I burn 91 or 93 octane no ethanol. It makes a significant difference in performance. I request a manual transmission. It a very sporty looking car. I also like the control over shift points. Shifting also makes a difference. Ignore the shift points on the dash. They are set for economy driving. Not performance. We have high bluffs, rolling hills, river valleys and winding roads here. Its a blast to drive out in the country. This is were the manual comes to roost. I love it. I cross the Mississippi river daily. The ramp is steep on the bridge. This bridge sees 80,000 vehicles daily. Traffic can be heavy. So a good handling vehicle helps merge into traffic. Mind you the on ramp is steep. I drop down into 3rd gear. and shift at 4k rpm. It gives me the acceleration and power for the ramp and merge. The key to this 1.6 liter engine is keeping the rpm up. You want power and acceleration? Shift between 3-4k. Do not be afraid to push this small engine. It does have a governor setting of about 6500 rpm. So you are not going to come close to over revving it. The car comes with electronic assist power steering. It handles like a sports car. Snappy. At first the steering seems light due to the electronic assist. But you will quickly become acclimated to the touch. My wife complains about my higher speed and G turns. Like I said, It feels like a sports car. I've had no problems with the nav package. The car is loaded with features. My only complaint with this car is the map program. The computer OS is Windows mobile. I wish I had Android and Google maps. Phone interfacing is a breeze. The 450 watt stereo is awesome. There is a common problem though. The speaker cones separate with loud use. There was a factory fix the dealers were instructed on. My only repair on this vehicle was the speakers. All at no cost. Overall my only maintenance has been oil changes and cleaning. The interior is just as slick looking as the exterior. All controls are well placed. I have a sun roof. There is glare on the NAV screen at times when it is open. The NAV screen has controls on the steering wheel. All are controlled with a simple flick of the thumb, nice. The environmental control are great. Cold winters and hot summers are no problem for this car. The heater will bake you. The AC will freeze you. I do wish I had heated seats at times. Speaking of seating. The bucket seats are comfortable. I'm 6'1" leg room is not a problem for the driver. I can adjust the seat all the way back and not reach the pedals. Yet the passenger behind me still has leg room. The unique 3 door hatch design gives the car a 2 door appearance. Back seat is room for two. Head room for a 6 footer is tight but plenty of leg room. The curb side door only for the rear keeps the kiddo's curb side. Its not really a big thing for me. But there is a lot of plastic in the interior. Its held up very good. No complaints. Just noting it. The back seats fold down. Cargo area with surprise you. No complaints there either. The NAV package has a rear camera and backing sensors. I LOVE it. All cars should have this. There has been reports of the roof leaking. I have an all glass top. No leaks period. This is a sports car with a hatch back. It is family friendly. Can handle adverse weather. Nerd friendly. I love it. You have to test drive one to get the real feel of this car. Don't be afraid to push it a bit on the test drive."

V at the the lake.

Not the car in the commercials

By on Friday, August 24, 2012

Pros: "Looks, Features for price, Reliability, Warranty"

Cons: "Features not as advertised, Iffy dynamics, SLOW"

"Regarding the driving dynamics, these weren't issues I really noticed on the test drive, but became more and more apparent as time went on. The car really is woefully underpowered. It's not that it isn't quick enough for me, an admitted speed freak, it's that it isn't quick enough for itself. The car really needs about thirty to forty more horsepower to get out of its own way. Pressing the accelerator to the floor does nothing - the car gasps and wheezes for air as it slowly chugs forward, growling angrily and belching exhaust smoke. The speedometer generously goes to 120, though frankly I've never been able to get it above 80. The tires are atrocious. TireRack.com reviews are just ten pages of "the worst tires I've ever used," and for good reason. I lose traction in REVERSE, coming out of my paved driveway. The tires chirp and the traction control light goes off when easing away from a red light. That kind of performance unforgivable for any tire in the 21st century. The handling and cornering are good, especially for the price, but the fact that Hyundai has only been designing suspensions for the better part of five years becomes apparent as soon as you go over a bump in a corner. The back of the car kicks out and makes a loud clunking noise, delivering a jarring impact and forcing you to quickly recorrect your steering so you don't plow into a tree. This didn't bother me at first, but it's become more and more terrifying to know that I'm going to completely, totally, and loudly lose control of my car at certain points on familiar roads. There is no soundproofing, and the proprietary BlueLink system is unforgivably bad. Navigation is annoying and often woefully inaccurate. Sound quality is good, seats are comfortable, and controls are well-laid out and intuitive. The car is solidly put together and a comfortable commuter. I know this sounds more negative than a 7/10 review, but I really am pretty pleased with the car. It gets me where I need to go in style, at reasonable gas mileage (I've never reached the advertised 40mpg, averaging instead about 27-32 mixed). The car is well-built and easy to maintain, with a great warranty. It just hurts knowing it could have been so much better. A reworked suspension, better tires, and about thirty more horsepower are really all it needs to be a performer. A few other bug fixes and it'd be a great car. As such, it's only pretty good."

Fun vehicle! Easy to find in parking lot!

By on Thursday, June 4, 2015

Pros: "Good mpg, sporty and fun, lots of easy to use tech"

Cons: "Blind spot in rear, no power seats, no spare tire"

"I've had this car for about 2 weeks and my boyfriend and I love it. I got the Turbo edition for more power since we both have a heavy foot and tend to be aggressive drivers and this car handles it like a dream. We got the automatic version since I don't have experience driving a manual but it does have a "manual" mode which my boyfriend uses when he wants to feel like he's driving a manual. It gets great gas mileage and is comparable to the Kia Spectra I traded in for it which got about 40mpg. I like the easy to use controls and we have both found the car to be perfectly roomy for us ( he's 6'2 and I'm 5'8). It does have heated seats with two heat settings but it doesn't have power seats which I find odd and it doesn't come with a spare tire or jack which is a bit of a pain. The tires are nitrogen filled which is something you might want to know in advance since you won't be able to stop at any gas station and use their air machine to fill a low tire. The car does come with a nitrogen bottle in the truck though to fill your tires. We didn't get the navigation package but since you can blue tooth your phone to the car it isn't really necessary. We just use the navigation on our phones and run it through the car. I do dislike the big blind spot on the rear passenger side due to an almost 2 foot wide section of body and a support beam. You can make up for it though by adjusting the mirrors a bit and the back up camera helps tremendously when backing up since it has a wide angle view. The back seats could stand to be a bit roomier and passengers have to watch their heads when you open the back hatch but a simple "Heads up" should fix that. It's a really fun, sporty car that definitely stands out in the crowd and I look forward to many years of fun with. It's definitely something you should at least test drive if looking for something similar to a Golf or Fucus but for a little less money."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals