2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 112 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

I like this car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Owned this car for 2 weeks dont know how people are geting 40 mpg I cant even get 35 out of it on freeway at 72 mph. Also it seems the speedo is off by about 5 mph. other than that I like the car. Oh one more thing it does'nt come with a spare tire or jack and tools if you want those it's 250.00"

Great Funky Car for it's Value (Turbo)

By on Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pros: "Great power, very tech oriented, great value"

Cons: "Spotty handling, Electric Steering"

"I own the Turbo with the 6 speed Auto (Conventional Auto not the Dual Clutch model in the NA Veloster). Have driven it all over the eastern U.S. in the 5 months. Overview: The turbo model is quite spritely, and honestly the Auto is better than the manual. I drove both, the manual combined with the ECU oriented drivetrain design introduces painful amounts of turbo lag. But the Auto is great especially in sport mode or using the manual shift function is great and keeps the car always in its ideal power band. I chose this over the Genesis Coupe because it has a ton more useable space, and was cheaper with more standard features, and has pretty good gas mileage for its power. Things I love: The quirky design, its unique and gets lots of questions. The turbo motor makes a pretty nice sound under load, and has very useful torque band for day-to-day driving. The ridiculously good standard features on the turbo model, the sound system is amazing, I love the Pandora app and the streaming bluetooth audio. The hand's-free and voice control works pretty good. Of all the infotainment systems I've seen in cars this is amongst the most user friendly. On smooth roads the car is glued to the road, I take corners at 3 times the speed other people do, not smooth roads (see thoughts below). The blue features are pretty cool (I use the remote start from my phone all the time), the fact I never have to take the key out of my pocket, I can walk up to the car and press the button on the handle to unlock, get in the car and push the push start, its awesome! Things that need improved: Some of the buttons and stalk stuff seem awkwardly placed. The ride can be rougher than it needs to be (Hard ride is not necessary for sporty handling). The electric steering doesn't always seem to know what its doing and seems to get confused when in a hard turn and then having to suddenly slow down. Things I don't like: The rear suspension needs some serious tweaking, everything is great as long as the road is smooth, but if you hit an expansion joint at the right angle in a turn the rear end will step out which is jarring and not confidence inspiring to say the least. The interior is getting pretty rattly especially in the dash, a combination of a stiff suspension and not the greatest chassis contribute to this. The visibility is poor (I knew this buying it), but for such a small car it has some huge blind spots. I am hoping to fix the suspension and add some chassis bracing to make the car near perfect! Bottome Line: I think this is a pretty solid start for Hyundai into the Hot Hatch market. They have made amazing strides in the last few years, I think them and Kia are the Toyota of the 90's in the 201X's. For it's value and standard equipment it's hard to find a comparable model."

Won't buy this car again.

By on Friday, February 1, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, sleek, fun to drive."

Cons: "Many problems, especially when it's cold."

"We purchased this car new, the 2013 Veloster with matte grey paint. The car looks awesome, very stylish and sleek. Problems started just one week after purchasing the car. The radio stopped working, and when we brought it to the dealership, they wouldn't fix it because it magically started working for them. After 3 trips to the dealership and a week of a loaner car, they finally said they fixed it. The next day the radio stopped working again, so they decided to replace it. Two weeks to get the radio. Shortly after the radio incident, the back up sensors would beep constantly and not stop. We had this checked again, many times, and it wasn't until the third or fourth time that they finally found a bad sensor which they replaced. A week later, they sensors beep constantly and we are told that we live in Wisconsin and it will beep because of the cold. The worst thing to happen is the cold air that comes in from the bottom of the car. If it drops below freezing, we have to use a blanket to cover our legs because of the cold air coming in from the bottom of the car. Again, they checked it and saw the temperature from the seat down is below freezing even with the heater on high heat. They say there is no fix for this problem so we have to live with it. The did replace the back window because they said it was defective, but that didn't stop the cold air from coming in. Comfort for someone who is above six foot is problem. My head hits the ceiling and I am six foot two inches. The latest is the keyless entry. It doesn't work half the time, you have to hit the lock button to unlock and vice versa. The button on the door to unlock and lock works half the time. Again, the dealership said they can't get it to act up for them, so there's nothing they can do. Basically what I've come up with is that the car just doesn't do well in the cold. The dealership checks the car after it's warmed up inside the garage, so they don't get to see the problems when it's cold. If you live in a cold climate, don't buy this car."

Fun if you use the shifter

By on Friday, March 8, 2013

Pros: "Tech value, space, looks, 10/100000 warranty"

Cons: "acceleration in drive, some shoddy interior parts"

The Bulldog

"First the negatives. The biggest complaint I have about this car is acceleration in drive. A lot of hesitation when you punch it. If you have been looking at this car at all, this is no surprise. Also, you will not get 40 mpg hwy unless you drive it 55 on flat roads all the time. And if you like having fun driving like I do, you won't even come close. I deal with the acceleration problem by using the dual clutch shifters. Once you get the hang of it you have plenty of power and you can rev this car to 5K without seeming to stress it. I would recommend manual shift but I have a wife, so.... that's why I got auto. One other thing, the steering wheel started peeling after about 5000 miles. Hyundai replaced but jeez. I've only put 10K miles on it, but there may be some suspect workmanship here and there. Should all be covered though. The positives: You get a lot of good technology for the money. I am going to let BlueLink lapse because I never use/need it. But my entertainment options are almost unlimited and I love handsfree phone. I love the way the car looks, inside and out. I love how much space it has for the size. The trunk will hold two golf bags and a weeks worth of groceries without a problem. I rarely have to put down the back seats. I have three kids and it's ideal for getting them around especially with the third door (which I also love), and I took 3 adult friends to a football game last fall and we were comfortable for two hours each way. One of them fell asleep in back on the way home. This is my favorite car since my 81 Honda Wagon. Hyundai to me are what Honda used to be."

The Bulldog

Great Little Car for the Price

By on Monday, August 26, 2013

Pros: "Great price for the features, excellent mpg"

Cons: "Sluggish acceleration for 138 hp"

At the Dealership

"This car met all of my expectations, except for acceleration, which is a little sluggish for a 138hp engine, and larger than normal blind spots (fixed with fish-eye mirrors). I use it mostly to commute to and from work in Dallas, and average 31 mpg with A/C on, and 35 mpg with A/C off. What really surprised me was the highway mileage; I drove to Richmond, VA and back, and averaged 38 mpg on the Interstate. The front seats are comfortable, and the two back seats are acceptable if you aren't tall (I'm 5'10, and have no problems). The audio system is very good, and blue-tooth links effortlessly. The nav system is accurate, although loading the address information could be better. The car looks good, and I get a lot of inquiries and positive comments. Overall I have no regrets and thoroughly enjoy driving the Veloster."

At the Dealership

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals