2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.7

Based on 89 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Nice Car, Under Powered

By on Tuesday, May 01, 2012

I don't own this car

Pros: "looks great inside and out, unique styling"

Cons: "lacking power"

"I have looked at this car several times and finally set up a test drive. I was in a fully loaded Veloster, yellow w/ yellow accents on the wheels and it was beautiful. As soon as I sat in the car I was impressed with the seating and options on the car. The price fully loaded was around 23K as opposed to close to 29k for an equally equipped Ford Focus. I liked everything about the car until I drove it. It was not bad to drive but it is severely under powered for it's weight. The engine is peppy a stand still but the little 1.6 liter engine will leave you frustrated 2 seconds after you're moving. Good news is the 2013 model will have a turbo option w/ about 200hp compared to the 138hp currently in the car. Bad news is, the turbo isn't free so the price mark up will about $2k. I liked the car but settled with a Kia Forte SX which I love, has all the options that the Veloster had (w/black leather seating stitched in red- the Veloster had cloth seats only), has the same warranty as the Veloster, but the Forte puts out about 175hp. My suggestion is: if you really want a Veloster, which is a nice car, wait for the turbo."

Fun to drive, great gas mileage!

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not good for country / rough road driving."

"This is a great car if the area you drive in has smooth rides. It is fun to drive and far exceeds the stated gas mileage (averages 35 or better)."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Pros: "Great looks, fun to drive, very comfortable."

Cons: "None that matter."

"I've been driving for 43 years. I have driven this car for 22 months now and it is the best car I have ever owned. I have the automatic with Style and Tech packages in Ironman Silver. It's a little sluggish in the lower gears (and I still need to get a refresh done at the dealership that improves on that), and the rear suspension makes for a bit of a rough ride if you aren't driving on smooth roads. I have experienced only one minor problem so far. The TPMS light came on even though all tires were inflated correctly. That was corrected and has not happened again since. The Dimension sound system (which has no identifiable speaker manufacturer associated with it) is very good -- music is on most of the time. The dash layout is as good as it can be -- everything is clearly seen and logically laid out. I don't think I spent over $100 the first year on maintenance. Satellite radio came free (though I don't think it was meant to) for the first 13 months. BlueLink might be more useful to someone who travels with their car and I'm not sure I will keep after the 2nd year. Otherwise, I am extremely comfortable in this car, people are still asking me about my car (never happened even once when I drove a Nissan Versa hatchback). I want to keep this car forever!"

Stylish, efficient, handles well and vey techy

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "sporty versatile and economical"

Cons: "visibility and low profile tires"

"I have the found my fully loaded Veloster fun to drive and fuel efficient. I am getting about 33 MPG overall and nearly 40 on the highway. I just finished a 1200 mile drive and averaged 39 mpg at ~75 mph average speed. I had no problem passing even going from 70 to 90 to acomplish the task with ease. My fully loaded V has the technology to find restaurants on the fly, while ziping in and out of traffic with ease. My plan is to give it the boys in a couple of years as a safe not to crazy sport coupe that I can track through the blue link."

veloster 2012

By on Tuesday, September 17, 2013

"had this baby for almost 2 years and absolutely love it! the best car ever had in this class, great for a city and just enough power on the freeway. lots of room on the back and my bicycle fits, 2 surfboards etc."

Very good value

By on Friday, March 27, 2015

Pros: "Good car for the price."

Cons: "Harsh ride, seats need more padding."

"Fun to drive, good gas mileage. Pros: good looks, easy to maintain. Cons: poor visibility due to door post in front next to the windshield. Also the side view mirrors obscure pedestrians in crosswalks."

Sporty but managable

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sport vs mpg, styling"

Cons: "visibility, limited option packages"

"The feel of this car is fantastic. It provides a sporty feel but does transfer road bumps into the cabin. Despite the sometimes small jostling motion from bad roads, the car grips on turns and maintains control. This smaller sport hatchback also has plenty of room for a big guy (the back, not so much). The backseat is good for smaller people or the occasional carpool, and the trunk space fits a lot of stuff based on looking at the car from the outside. It would be nice to get the navigation/back-up camera without having to purchase the sunroof also."

Fun to drive and very economical...options pricey

By on Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun and an attention getter"

Cons: "Short on legs, but you know that going in."

"Ran from Erie to Columbus with the air on...held around 72 mph. (except for construction) averaged 40.2 mpg. Also have a 04 Elantra with 106 thousand miles on it. Front brakes and plugs jn eight years."

Car is perfect!

By on Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Pros: "Style, dual-clutch trans, gas mileage, 3-doors"

"15,000 miles/One year old. No problems - not one. One reviewer has rattles, mine is tight, no rattles, squeaks, etc. The dual-clutch is a manual auto-shift trans. It is not a normal slush-box, it feels different, i love it. Rain when opening the hatch? No problems with that. No blown speakers (stop turning the volume to 200 and they wont blow, it's not a Led Zepplin concert). Also, easily get 40mpg on freeways using the eco-button, AND the car is not slow. No problems merging on freeways, etc. It is not a drag-racer, it's a daily-driver geared toward fuel economy. Maybe I just got lucky and got a real good one, but in summary, this car has been perfect. I have no regrets and LOVE THIS CAR. 2013 Ironman Silver."

Third Review 22800 miles

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "Fun to look at and drive"

Cons: "Huge blindspot"

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

"I have reviewed my 2012 Veloster in this forum before. I purchased it new and have put every mile on it. I thought it would be nice to report how it has performed over the long haul. First, it still attracts attention mostly due to the the design and the painted blue inserts on the wheels that came with the style package. As the engine has aged the performance has not deteriorated at all and is adequate for all driving conditions. Some reviewers are turned off by its very sporty design and sub compact performance. My only comment for that is maybe all sub compacts should look like Nissan Versa's (boring). It has not suffered any mechanical breakdowns and has only been to the dealer for routine service (oil changes and tire rotations). The OEM tires seem to wear quickly and road noise is more noticeable now and I rotate twice per year. The interior is solid and does not exhibit any rattles or squeaks. Everything works as new. The only complaint is the horrible blind spot that is a product of its cool design. 2012 models did not come with a blind spot mirror, so you must adjust your driving style to avoid potentially dangerous situations during left turns. Overall after 2 years this has been a joy to own and Very Reliable. I have never had any regrets about purchasing this car."

2012 Veloster Blue w/ Style & Tech Package

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals