2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.5

Based on 71 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

7.5/10
    7.4/10

NIce looking, great sound system but...........

By on Monday, June 09, 2014

Pros: "Looks and sound system in the style pkg"

Cons: "Engine. Barely beats a riding mower"

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

"I am 54 years old and have had many cars both new and used. this car looks great and the sound system is awesome, but the performance is one of the absolute worst I have ever driven. The Dual Clutch Technology is great and all, but there is a distinct pause when you let off the gas and upon acceleration it bucks a bit. Very annoying. Dealer tells me it is normal as the computer delay in detecting if you are in manual or automatic. Highway driving it can't get out of its own way so I have to resort to manual use to get any power what so ever. So if you want something fast get a VW Bug as that car beats the Veloster in the 1/4 mile. I will not buy another Hyundai."

2012 Veloster Style pkg 17" wheels and awesome sound system

Fun to drive, great gas mileage!

By on Saturday, June 07, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, great price, fun to drive."

Cons: "Not good for country / rough road driving."

"This is a great car if the area you drive in has smooth rides. It is fun to drive and far exceeds the stated gas mileage (averages 35 or better)."

Great non-family Vehicle

By on Thursday, May 01, 2014

Pros: "3rd door is handy, great tech, handles well"

Cons: "interior size, lower power, younger look"

"I have had the Veloster for just over 2 years now. It has been a great car for me, but I am going to move on. In short, the car handles great and is a joy to drive in (lots of tech features). The upholstery is comfortable and easy to clean. The interior design is very stylish and matches the exterior style. The features are incredible for the price (I stopped at the Style Package; no Tech Package for me) and the driving experience was above average for me. The MPG is totally dependent on how I drive and I get anywhere from 28 mpg to 42 mpg. The low tends to be when there are a lot of stop lights and acceleration afterwards; the high tends to be from long trips where the car sees nothing but highway. It really makes me conscious of how I drive. There have been times when I wish I could've had more pep in the acceleration as well. The 6-speed was built for high MPG and did a good job of that. So why am I "moving on"? For a couple of reasons. First I work at a fortune 500 company, and my car is flashy.... yet "young" looking. Let's just say that wearing a suit is overdressed for this car style (this is my opinion). The other reason is passengers. My wife and I are fine taking the car, but I cannot get my father, mother, or coworkers to take the car frequently. So, we revert to my wife's vehicle for these occasions (which is worse on gas). Again, it is a compact and is expected. Finally, the main reason for "moving on" is the fact about starting a family. I need something a little bigger that will hold a baby seat here shortly and possibly leave in. One back door suffices for me now, but in the future, I will need to use two doors (one baby side, one storage side). I really enjoyed this car, but I am not straying too far from it. I am looking at a cousin of hers name Kia Optima SX. Sporty, but a little more classier looking (European-esque; to me it is like comparing a Civic Hatch vs an Audi A4), more HP, comparable MPG, larger, a couple more options, and more room for passengers! Plus my current car is manual transmission (my wife can, but won't drive it), and the Optima SX is paddle/auto. I know the option is there for Velosters, but I didn't take it the first time."

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. The stereo will go dead, then in a day or two the car itself will be dead! The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and are waiting on a response. We asked the dealer today if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me."

Pros: "Great looks."

Cons: "Very unreliable! Horrible customer service!"

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Very unreliable!! Customer service is non-existant"

"My wife and I purchased a brand NEW 2013 Hyundai Veloster in May 2013. It now has 8,200 miles on it and has been to the dealer on three separate occasions for the same problem. At first the stereo will go dead, then a day or two later the car will itself will go dead. It will not start, turn over, or even click. The first two times it had to be towed because it would not start. This last time it happened on March 13th 2014 and we just got the vehicle back today April 2nd 2014. At least this time we were able to get it to the dealer before it stranded us again. The first time the vehicle had 201 miles on it. The second time it had about 6,000 miles on it. This last time as I stated it had about 8,200 miles on it. My wife and I have both expressed our concerns about the reliability of this vehicle and concerns about being stranded again. We have asked Hyundai if we can get out from under this vehicle and are even willing to give another Hyundai a try. However the offer they gave us will not even pay off the car. They are only offering us "Black Book" for the Veloster. We have emailed and called Hyundai Consumer Affairs again and again. We asked the dealer if we could hold off picking up the problem Veloster until we here back again from Hyundai Consumer Affairs because we were concerned of the possibility of getting stranded again and were told we could not. And as of this post 4/11/2014 Hyundai still has not made us an offer above "Black Book" for a car with 8,300 miles and 10 months old. If you are considering purchasing a Hyundai, at this time I would have to recommend against it. I do believe it is possible that we just happened to get a “bad one”. However Hyundai does not appear to be in any hurry to make this right which concerns me. They do not care about their customers. We are filing a claim with the BBB over this."

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "Looks fun to drive"

Cons: "Very unreliable!! Customer service is non-existant"

Sporty but managable

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, sport vs mpg, styling"

Cons: "visibility, limited option packages"

"The feel of this car is fantastic. It provides a sporty feel but does transfer road bumps into the cabin. Despite the sometimes small jostling motion from bad roads, the car grips on turns and maintains control. This smaller sport hatchback also has plenty of room for a big guy (the back, not so much). The backseat is good for smaller people or the occasional carpool, and the trunk space fits a lot of stuff based on looking at the car from the outside. It would be nice to get the navigation/back-up camera without having to purchase the sunroof also."

Great vehicle for price

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "Great on mileage, interior, zippy, unique design"

Cons: "Rear seating"

"I have owned this car (2013 Turbo) for about a year now. It is white with blue accent interior. I initially fell in love with this car due to the design, since it stands out and is unique with its 3 door design. It definitely turns heads and people often ask me what type of car it is. It is a very fun to drive car, especially since most of my miles are city miles. I rarely take highways on my way to work, so I'm getting about 26mpg city. I am a big guy, 300lbs, 6', and I feel comfortable driving it. I have about 4-5 inches of head clearance, so I'm doomed in a rollover. The back seat spacing is pretty tight, so if you have any tall/big friends, do not plan on asking them if they need a ride. The back seating might be okay for a child or young teen. I love all the interior features of the car. It is very modern and techy. I was satisfied with the quality of the stereo system included. It is not too much, and not too little with sound. The touch screen is bright and responsive. People complain a lot about the rear view window, but I honestly have no troubles viewing outside of it. Keyless entry and remote start are some of my favorite features of the car. TL;DR: Great on mileage, low profile, zippy, small rear seating, worth buying."

my car was great value, good milage, handled well

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "great handlling, gas mileage great, looks great"

Cons: "small, not alot of room, radio electrical problems"

"the car handles well great gas mileage, not good in snow very light, but with studs ok, very small no room for xtra. depends on what your looking for the value was great the time I had to buy"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals