2012 Hyundai Veloster

7.9

Based on 98 Ratings for the 2012 - 2015 models.

Reliable Sporty Eye Catching

By on Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Pros: "Sporty, eye catch, all weather car."

Cons: "NAV maps"

V at the the lake.

"I bought my 2013 26.2 yellow nav package mannual Dec 2012. I have 31,000 miles on it. I live in Iowa along the Mississippi river. Winters can be harsh. Summers hot and humid. The seasons can destroy a car all on its own. I drive this car as my work car daily. So it was important to be reliable. The V has been very reliable to me. On average I get 32-34 city. 37-40 highway. Mileage depends heavily on the octane of gas. This car hates 87 octane with ethanol. Actually mileage is lower with any ethanol gas. You want high mileage. Run 91+ octane fuel. I burn 91 or 93 octane no ethanol. It makes a significant difference in performance. I request a manual transmission. It a very sporty looking car. I also like the control over shift points. Shifting also makes a difference. Ignore the shift points on the dash. They are set for economy driving. Not performance. We have high bluffs, rolling hills, river valleys and winding roads here. Its a blast to drive out in the country. This is were the manual comes to roost. I love it. I cross the Mississippi river daily. The ramp is steep on the bridge. This bridge sees 80,000 vehicles daily. Traffic can be heavy. So a good handling vehicle helps merge into traffic. Mind you the on ramp is steep. I drop down into 3rd gear. and shift at 4k rpm. It gives me the acceleration and power for the ramp and merge. The key to this 1.6 liter engine is keeping the rpm up. You want power and acceleration? Shift between 3-4k. Do not be afraid to push this small engine. It does have a governor setting of about 6500 rpm. So you are not going to come close to over revving it. The car comes with electronic assist power steering. It handles like a sports car. Snappy. At first the steering seems light due to the electronic assist. But you will quickly become acclimated to the touch. My wife complains about my higher speed and G turns. Like I said, It feels like a sports car. I've had no problems with the nav package. The car is loaded with features. My only complaint with this car is the map program. The computer OS is Windows mobile. I wish I had Android and Google maps. Phone interfacing is a breeze. The 450 watt stereo is awesome. There is a common problem though. The speaker cones separate with loud use. There was a factory fix the dealers were instructed on. My only repair on this vehicle was the speakers. All at no cost. Overall my only maintenance has been oil changes and cleaning. The interior is just as slick looking as the exterior. All controls are well placed. I have a sun roof. There is glare on the NAV screen at times when it is open. The NAV screen has controls on the steering wheel. All are controlled with a simple flick of the thumb, nice. The environmental control are great. Cold winters and hot summers are no problem for this car. The heater will bake you. The AC will freeze you. I do wish I had heated seats at times. Speaking of seating. The bucket seats are comfortable. I'm 6'1" leg room is not a problem for the driver. I can adjust the seat all the way back and not reach the pedals. Yet the passenger behind me still has leg room. The unique 3 door hatch design gives the car a 2 door appearance. Back seat is room for two. Head room for a 6 footer is tight but plenty of leg room. The curb side door only for the rear keeps the kiddo's curb side. Its not really a big thing for me. But there is a lot of plastic in the interior. Its held up very good. No complaints. Just noting it. The back seats fold down. Cargo area with surprise you. No complaints there either. The NAV package has a rear camera and backing sensors. I LOVE it. All cars should have this. There has been reports of the roof leaking. I have an all glass top. No leaks period. This is a sports car with a hatch back. It is family friendly. Can handle adverse weather. Nerd friendly. I love it. You have to test drive one to get the real feel of this car. Don't be afraid to push it a bit on the test drive."

V at the the lake.

Amazing car for the money

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Pros: "Amazing int and ext, great gas and fun to drive"

Cons: "4 seats"

"I was in the market for a hatchback and i was intrigued with the veloster but after reading some reviews saying how the car is slow and sluggish i had to test drive one the car is just fine it drives just like a mazda3, focus or civic its not a v8 600 hp car but its really reasonable especially with the gas mileage it gets. the car is the most comfortable and it has more room in the front and back ( im 6'4 )of the cars i tested, it has the most gadgets for the money it drives really good and its the best looking in my opinion. I just advise people that are thinking about buying the car to actually drive it before discarding it because you will enjoy it, especially with the eco off. ps: that thing about leaking in the back when it rains doesn't happen on mine not sure if it got fixed with the 2013 model or what but its good."

I like this car

By on Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Owned this car for 2 weeks dont know how people are geting 40 mpg I cant even get 35 out of it on freeway at 72 mph. Also it seems the speedo is off by about 5 mph. other than that I like the car. Oh one more thing it does'nt come with a spare tire or jack and tools if you want those it's 250.00"

A lot of car for the money

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "sporty ,roomy,solid,and good on gas"

Cons: "lack of lumbar support in front seats"

"Sliver auto with style package. Turn off the eco button and use the paddle shifters.Left on its own accord it is slow to respond.Choose your gears and the car will fly.I pull the hill going out of town at 80mph.My R/T Challenger was good for 90mph in the same spot.MPG has come up as the car breaks in to 39 mpg.I added an air intake to the car the first week i owned it $239. The car has done well in the snow. The front seats lack back support."

Decent car

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Pros: "Low cost, good warranty"

Cons: "has it bugs"

"I bought the car new at end of 2011, since then I have had multiple issues with the car (e-brake, steering wheel leather, rust, molding, and a few other minor electronic issues). All of the issues have been taken care of by my dealer, make sure you find a good dealer if you get this car. Also, the issues typically only happen once in awhile, so I video tape it with my phone if I am having a problem to prove it to the dealer, they don't argue, but it does help them if they can't get the issue to reoccur. Overall I like the car, good fuel mileage if you are easy on the gas pedal (35-38 mpg hwy, 28-32 city)"

Great Fun for a great price

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pros: "Price, Looks Great, Sound System, Tech Gadgets"

Cons: "No express down for passenger,"

"I love this little car. I traded my 2011 Genesis coupe for a 2012 Veloster. Quality issues plagued the Genesis but the Veloster seems to be solid and better built. It is fun to drive and is fully loaded. If you can afford it take both packages, style and tech. You will have everything available including the beautiful wheels that have body colored painted inserts. Although it is not as fast as the Genesis was, it does fine under all driving situations. I chose a manual transmission because with engines this small, it gives me the option of fuel economy or acceleration. 6 speed tranny shifts smooth and reverse has a back up camera the displays on the GPS. The Sound System is great and works seamlessly with an iPod. Just a couple of very small things that I would have liked on this car. It does not have a passenger express up and down window. I would have liked turn signals on the mirror and a LED light for the alarm. If you do not like strangers walking up to you at gas stations, grocery stores, etc, this is not your car. Mine is blue with style and tech packages and I cannot get out or in this car in public places without someone asking me about it. Great Job Hyundai."

Love the turbo!

By on Thursday, November 15, 2012

Pros: "Sporty unique look, fun to drive, large trunk"

Cons: "Needs power seats,no dimmer for display screen"

"Loved the 2012 Veloster so much we bought 2 this year and just traded one in for the turbo. The turbo is worth the extra money! Love the push button start, all the added extras, rear camera has a wide view angle. Ride is a lot smoother than the 2012 version and extremely smooth handling. Thinking about trading in our other 2012 for another turbo!"

100 percent satisfied

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "Image, economy, performance"

Cons: "No power seat or auto climate control"

White Lightning

"Great little car, sporty handling, economical to drive, over 30 mpg on regular gas. Has all the latest electronic toys and the glass top is very attractive. Every where I go, I get compliments on the looks. The third door and hatch makes it very convenient to access the rear space. The only thing left to make this the perfect sporty coupe is to put the 2.0L turbo under the hood."

White Lightning

Fun if you use the shifter

By on Friday, March 08, 2013

Pros: "Tech value, space, looks, 10/100000 warranty"

Cons: "acceleration in drive, some shoddy interior parts"

The Bulldog

"First the negatives. The biggest complaint I have about this car is acceleration in drive. A lot of hesitation when you punch it. If you have been looking at this car at all, this is no surprise. Also, you will not get 40 mpg hwy unless you drive it 55 on flat roads all the time. And if you like having fun driving like I do, you won't even come close. I deal with the acceleration problem by using the dual clutch shifters. Once you get the hang of it you have plenty of power and you can rev this car to 5K without seeming to stress it. I would recommend manual shift but I have a wife, so.... that's why I got auto. One other thing, the steering wheel started peeling after about 5000 miles. Hyundai replaced but jeez. I've only put 10K miles on it, but there may be some suspect workmanship here and there. Should all be covered though. The positives: You get a lot of good technology for the money. I am going to let BlueLink lapse because I never use/need it. But my entertainment options are almost unlimited and I love handsfree phone. I love the way the car looks, inside and out. I love how much space it has for the size. The trunk will hold two golf bags and a weeks worth of groceries without a problem. I rarely have to put down the back seats. I have three kids and it's ideal for getting them around especially with the third door (which I also love), and I took 3 adult friends to a football game last fall and we were comfortable for two hours each way. One of them fell asleep in back on the way home. This is my favorite car since my 81 Honda Wagon. Hyundai to me are what Honda used to be."

The Bulldog

Great Funky Car for it's Value (Turbo)

By on Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Pros: "Great power, very tech oriented, great value"

Cons: "Spotty handling, Electric Steering"

"I own the Turbo with the 6 speed Auto (Conventional Auto not the Dual Clutch model in the NA Veloster). Have driven it all over the eastern U.S. in the 5 months. Overview: The turbo model is quite spritely, and honestly the Auto is better than the manual. I drove both, the manual combined with the ECU oriented drivetrain design introduces painful amounts of turbo lag. But the Auto is great especially in sport mode or using the manual shift function is great and keeps the car always in its ideal power band. I chose this over the Genesis Coupe because it has a ton more useable space, and was cheaper with more standard features, and has pretty good gas mileage for its power. Things I love: The quirky design, its unique and gets lots of questions. The turbo motor makes a pretty nice sound under load, and has very useful torque band for day-to-day driving. The ridiculously good standard features on the turbo model, the sound system is amazing, I love the Pandora app and the streaming bluetooth audio. The hand's-free and voice control works pretty good. Of all the infotainment systems I've seen in cars this is amongst the most user friendly. On smooth roads the car is glued to the road, I take corners at 3 times the speed other people do, not smooth roads (see thoughts below). The blue features are pretty cool (I use the remote start from my phone all the time), the fact I never have to take the key out of my pocket, I can walk up to the car and press the button on the handle to unlock, get in the car and push the push start, its awesome! Things that need improved: Some of the buttons and stalk stuff seem awkwardly placed. The ride can be rougher than it needs to be (Hard ride is not necessary for sporty handling). The electric steering doesn't always seem to know what its doing and seems to get confused when in a hard turn and then having to suddenly slow down. Things I don't like: The rear suspension needs some serious tweaking, everything is great as long as the road is smooth, but if you hit an expansion joint at the right angle in a turn the rear end will step out which is jarring and not confidence inspiring to say the least. The interior is getting pretty rattly especially in the dash, a combination of a stiff suspension and not the greatest chassis contribute to this. The visibility is poor (I knew this buying it), but for such a small car it has some huge blind spots. I am hoping to fix the suspension and add some chassis bracing to make the car near perfect! Bottome Line: I think this is a pretty solid start for Hyundai into the Hot Hatch market. They have made amazing strides in the last few years, I think them and Kia are the Toyota of the 90's in the 201X's. For it's value and standard equipment it's hard to find a comparable model."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Veloster near Honolulu. See local deals