2014 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,334 - $20,991.

10/7.6

Based on 605 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Excellent engine, could use a few refinements

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Engine, stock features, price, reliability"

Cons: "Handling, service, depreciation"

"***Value: I paid $24,880 in 2011 for the current 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T, no upgraded audio, nav, or moonroof. For what it's worth I can't stand car navigation systems and don't miss the moonroof. It's depreciated more than I would have liked, at about 13-15k as of 2014 ***Audio: For me the stock audio, no high powered amp, no sub, etc doesn't mean poor audio at all. The stock audio is fantastic, volume isn't the loudest but it has great dynamics, clarity and connections for an iPhone in particular with a $30+ cable, AUX or USB for Android, or just use a flash drive. ***Performance: If you want awesome acceleration that doesn't break the bank, this is a gold mine. Turn off ECO mode and traction control, slide to manual shifting, hit the accelerator to find the sweet spot. After almost 30k miles it has a 1-1.5 second delay between rolling at 20 to engaging full boost. Cornering is its weak point, not the sharpest or most precise, but 269 ft lb torque means you can slide the tail right out even in a fwd. I get about 30 mpg highway and can't keep lead foot under control enough to get more than 21 mpg in the summer. Previously was getting 24-26 mpg with ECO mode. ***Reliability: Hyundai initially fixed a few problems without charge when randomly in automatic (Drive) it would sometimes shift by itself as if in manual, displaying the gear number instead of D, at 60 mph I would sometimes end up in 2nd gear. They couldn't quite diagnose the problem but reflashed a few parts and the only remaining problem is problems with it automatically upshifting. And the stock tires are honestly terrible... Stock Hankook's were burned down to flat rubber after 20k miles and even prior would slip and completely stutter at the sight of a drop of rain. I used Blizzak WS70's in the winter in New York no problem, now I have Michelin Pilot A/S 3's, it's night and day. Nearing 28k miles Hyundai wanted me to shell out $300 for brake work and transmission fluid for my 30k service... ***Could be better: Cornering for sure, turbo latency (which can be fixed by upgraded parts), initially when I bought the car I had a TON of fog/dew on the inside and outside of my windows and windshield, defogger on full blast didn't fix a thing. Mirrors are harder to view than I would like with their shape and rear windshield slope. ***Overall: Never head a break down or a flat, awesome audio, fantastic performance, a few refinements here and there could be done, but overall great."

Very good car

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Blutooth, interior desin very roomy"

"I just purchased a Hundi Sonata. I seems roomy. I just love the fact that the care has Blutooth capability. That way I am totally hand free and I can hear the caller very clearly."

My car has been at dealer multiple times

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "great price, smooth"

Cons: "always problem/issues with car, bad cust. service"

"Have had so many issues with my car from recalls to warranty parts breaking. I have not been happy with customer service. Took my car for an oil change a week ago and then again I recently had my car towed Thursday night. Friday no call back from service, so i finally called at noon and still hasn't been looked at might be a broken part in the engine can take 3 weeks. Today is Monday evening and no word from service. I am not happy with the car nor customer service. Thinking on selling car and getting a more reliable and better service ... DO NOT BUY"

Outstanding in nearly every way. Luxurious, superb

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, power, style"

Cons: "None in our minds."

"Styling on this vehicle has been written about by others, but the finish is superb. Great gas mileage, approaching 40 at moderate speeds and over long stretches. No repairs, just goes and goes. Terrific value."

Best Car Value Ever

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Incredible MPG for such a big car!!!"

Cons: "None, really"

"I'm getting 40+mpg regularly with highway driving and never less than 35mpg a tank average for combined driving. The car is spacious, comfortable, reliable and gets up to go when I need it to. I have it serviced as recommended and haven't had a bit of trouble from it. With gas prices being what they are now, I am so glad I made the decision to buy the Sonata. I don't always need the extra space, but it sure comes in handy when I do need it!"