2014 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $19,951 - $20,755.

10/7.6

Based on 719 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

love this car

By on Sunday, May 13, 2012

Pros: "good gas mileage, fun to drive, great handling"

Cons: "no power seat controls on passenger side"

"i have upgraded to this car from a 2005 Civic and what an upgrade it is. what i ended up paying for this car was not much for then the civic, but is worlds better. a bunch of other reviews stated road noise but i would say the road noise is not really an issue. Although i have heard that it could be the tires not the car. only thing i wish it had was power seat controls on the passenger side, since it has nice electronic adjustment for the driver side. And even having a much bigger engine then that Civic i had and it gets about the same MPGs."

Best bang for your buck

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "fun 2 drive, excellent price, warranty, good looks"

Cons: "blind spots, you have to slam the doors to close"

"Before I bought this car I research extensively the competition mainly Toyota Camry, Honda accord, Nissan Altima, Kia optima. I check for space (Trunk, headroom, legroom, etc) best MPG non hybrid, best warranty, looks, standard features, price, etc. Two cars came on top The Kia Optima and the Hyunday Sonata; both better equipped than the competition, with better warranties, MPG, and priced considerably lower than similar equipped competitors (around $2000 less!!!). I test drove all o f them and the Hyundai Sonata came on top for his outstanding MPG, feel, beauty, warranty, price comfort and standard features. Car feels solid and fun to drive, very quiet, nice dashboard, blue tooth, blue link. Get the GLS best value for your buck. SE while more powerful has a rough ride and compromises insurance because the speed. Limited can get too expensive which kills one of the reasons you choose Hyundais/Kias the excllent price / value ratio"

2013 Limited Turbo, So Far So Great

By on Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Pros: "Price, performance, quality, fun to drive"

Cons: "rear visibility could be better"

"I've had my 2013 Limited Turbo for about 4 months now and so far I'm very impressed. Fit, finish, performance, and style are all top notch. No issues with the vehicle so far. In my opinion, the 18" wheels really make the car look better, which I understand come on the SE and Turbo models. Gas milage so far is good, averaging around 32-33 on 75% highway, 25% city driving. Getting into the turbo quickly (pun intended) brings a smile to your face, but getting into it too often does bring the milage down fast (a few minutes taking it from 75 mph to 120 took my mpg screen from 32 to 27 rather quickly). Personally, I'm ok with the 2013 taking away the glass roof on the Limited (it now comes with the premium package, which my car doesn't have). Mine has the standard sunroof, which suits me fine. Here in Texas I've talked to several people who have the glass roofs and they say it puts more heat in the car on sunny days. I'm also getting very fond of the keyless entry. You just keep the fob in your pocket and hit the little button on the door handle to lock or unlock the car, and then you just push the button on the dash to start/stop the car. It's also smart enough to know if you've left the fob in the car and won't let you lock yourself out. Before I bought the car, I felt it was kind of a gimmick, but now that I've had it I've become spoiled, not having to take a key out of your pocket is nice. In summary, I think I got a lot of car for the money compared to the competition and would recommend the Sonata to anyone looking for a nice, well optioned vehicle at a very reasonable price."

I love this car!!!

By on Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pros: "fun toys, beautiful car, great safety features"

Cons: "road noise on highway"

"This is our fourth Hyundai Sonata. Every year, Hyundai improves their cars. Our last two Sonata's had virtually no problems. THIS car is a sleek beauty with plenty of room. After my first tank of gas I was getting 28 MPG with mixed driving. (city/hi-way) I cannot believe the technology in this car. The base come with Bluetooth. You also get a 3 month trial of Sirius radio and Blue-link. Blue-link is Hyundai's version of On-star,but offers so much more. The safety features are, as always, ahead of the game on a Hyundai vehicle. I'm so please with this car. It offers a great bang for the buck."

Very nice vehicle

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

"Purchased the 2012 Sonata Limited Turbo. Love everything about it so far. Has a lot of nice options and drives nicely. feels like V6."

Love my Sonata-It is my 2nd one

By on Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Pros: "Sporty, handles well and spacious"

Cons: "I wish they had moonroofs on the SE models."

"This is my second Sonata. My 2011 had some issue with the brake switch and a few other minor issue. I always get tons of compliments on my car. It handles well, has a lot of "get up and go" to it, and the interior is great! I love all the room, trunk space, cup holders, sport seats and the blue interior lights. The only negative thing so far is that I had to have the Rocker Panel repainted. The paint was flaking off, I was told that mine was not the only one with this issue. Hyundai repainted it and I am happy with the outcome."

Will never own another car

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Smooth ride, comfortable, great value for price"

Cons: "nothing"

"Absolutely love the Hyundai Sonata. Bought it used and still runs wonderfully. Most comfortable car for the price with many features that come standard compared to other cars that you will have to pay extra for. Get gas mileage around 31 highway and 25 city. I love the luxury of the Sonata and the great customer service I have received at multiple different Hyundai dealerships. I never want to own another car other than Hyundai."

Rough ride and low passenger seat

By on Friday, July 19, 2013

Pros: "Nice interior and sleek look"

Cons: "Poor shifting and the passenger seat is not adjust"

"Our Sonata hybrid has the roughest ride of a hybrid that I have ever had. The gear shifting in the lower gears is awful. We are barely getting more that 25 mpg. Also the passenger seat is so low and is not adjustable."

Overwhelmed by the power, and reliability

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient, economical 28 to 30 MP"

Cons: "Slightly stiff on the schock absorbers,"

"I was always liked a big car, big engine, flashy car. I thought I would be humbled by a smaller engine car. My mouth fell open when I stepped on the gas out in the open and saw my speedometer hit 110 with absolute control. The compliments I get when I park my car at a restaurant and there is a line of people waiting to get in gives me goosebumps. It is a flashy apple red with beige leather interior that catches the eyes. I am a retired law enforcement officer and have been a high speed driving instructor, sure would like to take it out on the high speed trac."

Best vehicle I've owned.

By on Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pros: "NO COMPROMISES!!"

Cons: "None."

"Compared the Sonata to the Camry, Accord, Malibu and Fusion and couldn't come up with a reason to do anything but buy the Sonata. After the first year, the car is as good as advertised and better in many respects. On trips, I regularly get 40MPG (not hybrid!) and with the value Hyundai provided, I was able to buy after-market DVD players for the headrests (dealer installed) and the kids love them. I can't think of a single thing I compromised by getting the Sonata."

my second Sonata

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "price, gas mileage"

Cons: "standard low profile rims make for noisey ride"

"Previously I owned a 2004 Sonata. At 178K, decided to trade in for the 2012, to get a little better gas mileage and of course a warranty. The '04 was a great car, only one minor issue with it and it was covered under warranty. The 2012 so far has been fantastic. My family and I just drove it to Fort Lauderdale and back (over 3000 miles round trip). Very comfortable ride for three adults, even my Dad who is tall had no issues sitting in the back seat. So far, great car and very glad to have traded up (I LOVED the 2004 and if I get the same performance from the '12 that would be fantastic). Only complaint I have is the sport rims on the car, made for a bit of noise on the highway. Getting 16 inch rims and regular tires soon to improve the ride some - mainly it was just road noise and would like a bit quieter ride. Great car overall."

Affordable Luxury

By on Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Pros: "killer interior design, turbo power/mpg, affordabl"

Cons: "cold idle is loud, computer mpg way optimistic"

"Picked up a 2.0Turbo Limited with all options, 10,000 miles for $11k under sticker! Cherry red and tan leather. This is an awesome car in about every way. Big, roomy, luxury. Sleek and sexy, powerful, smooth, reliable (so far, nearing 30,000 miles). Pet peaves - cold engine starts the idle is rough and noisy but that only lasts for about 10-15 sec. The ride is a little louder than others, such as Camry, and its not the smoothest on bumps. Also, I'm an engineer and it really bugs me that the computer over estimates mpg by nearly 3 mpg on avg. That's fraud in my opinion leading people to believe they are getting better mileage than they really are. I know there are better algorithms that could do a better job estimating. Reality is overall getting 28-29 mpg although it really depends on mow you drive it. Stay off the turbo and get 30+. But when you need that turbo its definitely there! Overall I love this car! Feels like driving an Infiniti M35 for the price of Honda Civic!"

Greatest value around

By on Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pros: "Great price , great looks fun to drive price good"

Cons: "No memory seat setting"

"I ain,t no spring chicken. Owned lots of very expensive cars. This one is great value fun to drive and makes me feel young. A whole lot less than the. Jag XKE V12 I once had. Gas mileage is good too. Great looking car."

Best in Power, super Quiet!

By on Sunday, August 05, 2012

"I changed to Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, it's super quiet now , also checked internet , Yokohama Envigor tires give same quiet ride. It has power when you need it for passing and a fuel miser , 35 to 37 mpg at 70 mph. I owned several car brands before, this one is fantastic. They have employed German engineers and designers from AUDI, so this is not the HYUNDAI 10 yrs ago. Go, give it a try, it won't disappoint."

Proud, happy, satisfied Sonata owner

By on Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Pros: "sleek, sexy, and fun - inside and out"

Cons: "not as roomy as I'd like"

"I bought my 2011 Sonata in June of 2011, and have had it just over a year. I didn't want to write a review until I had time to actually drive it to give an honest opinion. I...love...this...car. I opted for the 2.0 Turbo, and regret nothing! As someone else stated, it sacrifices a few miles if you have a heavy foot, but still gets good mileage. I'm not very technical as far as the way motors and cars work in general, so before buying I asked a lot of the engineers I work with (we manufacture parts for diesel engines, so most of these guys have strong opinions about cars). They were all very certain that the Sonata would be a great car. Like others who've reviewed, I test drove other cars - Mazdas, Fords, Scions, Volkswagons - but my mind stayed on the Sonata. I drove a Toyota Camry before I owned this, which I liked, but am very happy with my decision. I have the bluetooth, navigation, XM radio, etc., and am glad I got it. Sometimes the bluetooth doesn't always work on the first try, but always comes around. Also, the car was recalled not long after I got it, but not for anything major. It took them about 30 minutes with my car to solve the issue. Hyundai seems to be good at making the recalls in a timely fashion to ensure the safety of its customers. The only other thing that bothers me about the car is that there are currently no racks that can go on top of the car (like they can for Jettas or other sedans). I would like to be able to put a kayak rack on top, but want to make sure it is secure and safe. I paid around $27k for the car, and while I did not have a good experience in the purchasing process (Hyundai Dealership in Columbia, SC off of I-20, Clemson Road) I absolutely love this decision. If you are thinking about getting this car, do!"

I love this car!

By on Monday, June 18, 2012

Pros: "quick stops, good pick-up, beautiful styling"

Cons: "Needs an auxiliary plug in back seat"

"I bought this car new right before Christmas 2011, and got most of the features on it; did cut out the rear camera, something I now regret. Also did not get the moon roof or guidance system (I have a very good Garmin), which I don't miss. The car handles very well, good on dry and wet roads; handles well in quick stops. It gets great gas mileage, if I can keep my foot off the gas. Making a game of more efficient driving helps make it easier. I average 32 - 33 mph in town (we have a lot of hills), and around 40 on the road. This car has plenty of room - I was surprised at the amount of leg room in the back seat. Good trunk space too - enough for two adults on a two week vacation. I got a great deal on this car, which makes it even better. Love it, and would definitely purchase another one."

LOVE My Sonata 2.0T

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Best value for looks, comfort"

Cons: "Pulls to the left at speeds over 40 mph"

"I chose the Sonata with the Turbo engine and I am so happy with my purchase. I have driven it for a full year and I would buy the exact same car if I had to do it all over again. It looks sharp, it's extremely comfortable and the pickup is pretty amazing. The trunk is a great size and the backseat has a surprising amount of leg room. My 6'4" husband is very comfortable as a passenger and driver. I am only 5'3" and I love it too! I love the layout of the interior. I didn't care much about the push-button start feature or the blue tooth, but I am thrilled I have these conveniences now. Easily unlocking my car or popping the trunk without digging for keys is wonderful! The one thing I'm dissappointed about is that my car (and other Sonatas from what I've heard) pulls to the left at speeds over 40 mph. I've had it looked at, there was a recal that I took it in for, I've had the tires rotated, etc. The problem hasn't been solved and that stinks. I still love the car though."

Love this car!

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "great safety, great milage, fun drive"

Cons: "3000-mile oil change requirement on the turbo"

"We went from a Nissan Maxima, which was fun to drive, to this car earlier this year. This car holds its own, for sure! Pretty of power and steering agility. Comfortable seats (my boss comments everytime she's a passenger about nice the seats are). The gas milage over the 2006 Maxima is AMAZING. We have saved $250 a month in gas (we drive 80 miles a day)."

Great car for the money

By on Monday, December 26, 2011

Pros: "Great car for the money"

Cons: "None so far"

"We wanted a comfortable, stylish, performing and reliable vehicle for my family. I have owned many different sports cars, suv's and trucks. We went with the 2.0 turbo on our SE Sonata and what a great performing engine. No turbo lag and it gets up and goes. Enough power to spin the tires considerably from a stop light on acceleration. Gas mileage is averaging around 26mpg and I have a heavy foot. This is primarily my wifes' car as she wanted out of her suv into something better on gas and more exciting to drive. The interior is actually very nice for a car in the mid to high 20's price tag. Plenty of leg room (I'm 6'3" 240lbs) for my family. The car handles nicely, although a little more driver feedback through the steering would be nice, but I realize its not a sports car so I can't complain too much. The paddle shifters on the steering wheel are a nice touch as well. I really can't think of a negative with this car. Hopefully the reliability will match or beat our past hondas and toyotas (still own a toyota). Years ago I would've never given Hyundai a chance for my money, but they have certainly been doing things right over the past few years with their car lineup and reliability scores. The Sonata is a great car with a great value."

Amazing vehicle

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Pros: "great price, great mileage, excellent appearance"

Cons: "none identified in the first year"

"Purchased this car as a commuter vehicle and have not been in the least dissappointed. I travel 56 miles one way every day and the vehicle is comfortable and rides well. Handling in all weather has been solid, all around gas milage including weekend city driving is 32 to 33 mpg. Long trip to VA I got 37 for the trip. Overall you can spend more for a car but it will be difficult to get a better value."

Love this car

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, comfort, reliable, well built, value"

Cons: "None."

"Yep, I gave it all 10s. I've owned my 2011 Sonata for 2 years and it's seriously the best car I've ever owned. Opinion alert: If you are an irresponsible person who doesn't maintain your car, your opinion should have no bearing in this discussion...because it's assumed you maintain your cars on the prescribed schedule. But I digress. I've never had a single thing wrong with this vehicle. I moved from MN to CA last year and was dreading the drive. It was a joy in this thing. The seats are comfortable, the ride is quiet, it handles great-very responsive, and the gas mileage is impressive. I think I averaged 31 or 33 mpg at 85 mph...roughly. The car is well built, too. Very well built...and it looks beautiful. It's an excellent value for how surprisingly high quality it is. I paid under $30k for mine with many of the same amenities as you absolutely find in more "high end" (whatever that means) cars. I do think the GLS' 16" wheels seem rather puny, but I don't think most people notice (I'm just very detail oriented)."

Sharp looking, comfortable, strong turbo

By on Friday, February 01, 2013

Pros: "Good price, strong engine, lots of features"

Cons: "No power passenger seat"

"I have the 2013 turbo limited with premium package. Good looks with nice features like panoramic roof, all seats heated, easy to use navigation and a sound system that can get very loud and still sounds clear. Paddle shifters and a lot of power if you want it from the turbo engine. Handles well as car can be pushed pretty hard and still maintains good control. The ride overall is smooth. Rougher roads you can feel the bumps though nothing that is too harsh. Blue link works well in starting car remotely or getting the weather or restaurant choices hands free. Not to complicated in setting up bluetooth. No power passenger seat is a negative. Good gas mileage with 24 around town and 33 on the highway. With the good looks, features, nice ride, strong engine and extensive warranty it is a good deal at $29,500 which is the price I paid."

Ive Got this car brand New with 7 miles on it

By on Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pros: "Style, Handiling, comfort, speed"

Cons: "NONE."

"i currently have 50,200 miles on my 2011 Hyundai Sonata, I wash my rims and car often, change the oil myself, just bought brand new tires for it, had the tires balanced and the allignment done,the cars engine is strong; the technology is great, hands free, the car talks to you and understands me. honestly i cannot complain about the car, i wish it was worth more. it looks more then its worth. NEVER THOUGHT ID LIKE A HYUNDAI.......... only drove FORD, Lincoln, Cadillac, Mercury. then tried Nissan, Now In a Hyundai. Love it, shockingly the best gas saving fast stylish car."

ride noise is very bad that would be my main compl

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "price , warr , service from my dealer roswell nm"

Cons: "ride noise"

"ride noise is very bad and tire ware"

I love this car!

By on Thursday, February 02, 2012

"I work in the automotive industry and bought this car because I heard nothing but great reviews from customers. It has been a wonderful car that drives as well as it looks!"