2014 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,306 - $20,975.

10/7.6

Based on 608 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Sharp car, handles nice, but the ride is stiff

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "fast, fun, and still economical"

Cons: "ride is as smooth and silky as burlap"

"I have had this car for just under a year, and can only say one bad thing about it. The ride is brutal on your bladder. Granted, I bought the SE model for the looks and the 196 HP, but do I need to feel every single crease in the road. I know it has to do with the tires and the stiffer suspension, but I have been in old Corvettes that seem to have a smoother ride. Now, on to the good stuff. This car is fun to drive, especially with the steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, and still fits a family of five with comfort. Definitely not hard on the eyes, like other Hyundais. However, this car remains a sleeper on the Parkway, meaning the Police will not pull you over as much, even at high speeds. Great gas mileage for the power you get out of this four-banger(33-35 Mpg Hwy, depending on the gas you put in. I recommend BP) Clearly visable and easy to use controls, so turning on the radio or the A/C is not a chore. And of course...THE WARRENTY, which cannot be beat! Overall...I would say that I enjoy this car, but some improvements can be made."

I love this car!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "passenger seat sits low for vertically challenged"

"First and foremost is cost of ownership -- This car has required only regular maintenance, as any car does. Fuel economy is awesome....30-40 mpg, depending on how much local driving has been involved. Love the 8-way power driver's seat, especially on long distance drives. I can adjust the seat while driving to reduce back strain."

Stylish, comfortable, but still a slow hybrid

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage, Stylish, Extreme Value"

Cons: "Slow - Don't pull out into oncoming traffic"

"The vehicle is fantastic looking with LED headlight accents and interior accent lighting. The seats are comfortable enough for a 14 hour road trip, and everything inside is superior to similar priced cars. The gas mileage is amazing, I got approximately 45 mpg with the A/C on while on the highway with cruise control in operation at 75 mph. Unfortunately, the vehicle is very slow to switch from battery to gas engine when pulling out into traffic from a complete stop. The engine lacks acceleration and power. It is reliable, has had no issues mechanically in the 3.5 years I've owned it. Buy a spare tire though, because the base model Sonata doesn't come with one."

Has all the bells and whistles

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Has all the extras and nice styling."

Cons: "Gas mileage not as good as other hybrids"

"I purchased the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited for the gas mileage and because it comes with keyless entry, navigation, back-up camera and leather seats. It is also a nice looking sedan compared to the Accord or Camry. It drives pretty good and has some get up and go when you need it. Unfortunately I can attest to the safety. It works exactly as it should after 2 1/2 months and 4000 miles I was hit by a driver in a full-size SUV running a read light. The side curtain airbags went off and the whole front end was mushed in. I am relatively unhurt."

Love it!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

"Been a Honda family for 28 years and was ready to buy another one when I decided to look at the Sonata.Was overwhelmed at the amount of car you get for the money and the warranty is so much better than almost any other car maker. Honda quality is so good that it was a little hard not to get another one.Time will tell once the mileage rolls up, but I said the same thing when I first decided to buy a Honda in 1986."

Good looking, great turning radius, quick.

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Turning radius, performance, mileage, ft. leg room"

Cons: "Suspension just OK, steering feel/feedback poor"

"Performance vs. economy excellent. Leg room excellent."

My experience with a rented Sonata

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great gas mileage and cool design"

Cons: "Cheap interior, not many standard features"

"We drove a 2013 Sonata as a rental car for a week between Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Greenville, South Carolina. The best thing about the car was the gas mileage. We made a round trip around the state and then some, and only filled up when returning it to the airport, and even then we weren't close to empty. I liked the sporty exterior styling, and the sculpted interior and dashboard that wrapped around you. This in addition to the high window-line gave me a very safe, secure feeling inside the car. I also liked the design of the 3-dimensional gauge cluster. While I liked the shape of the interior, the materials were almost exclusively hard plastic, aside from the top of the dash. I liked the climate control buttons and the standard satellite radio, but the radio cluster was disappointing to look at. The radio screen was small and would freeze, you would have to change stations and change back to see what song was playing. There were other cheap elements of the car, such as the outdated "Hyundai" car key and the wimpy roadrunner horn that would beep when you locked the car. The car had a firm and solid ride, which was good but not necessarily fun or sporty."

Best car we have ever owned.

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun, economical, powerful, amazing price!"

Cons: "It isn't a transformer, but then again, what is?"

"Hyundai has caused the market to step up their game with this car. Impressed and pleased."

Excellent engine, could use a few refinements

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Engine, stock features, price, reliability"

Cons: "Handling, service, depreciation"

"***Value: I paid $24,880 in 2011 for the current 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T, no upgraded audio, nav, or moonroof. For what it's worth I can't stand car navigation systems and don't miss the moonroof. It's depreciated more than I would have liked, at about 13-15k as of 2014 ***Audio: For me the stock audio, no high powered amp, no sub, etc doesn't mean poor audio at all. The stock audio is fantastic, volume isn't the loudest but it has great dynamics, clarity and connections for an iPhone in particular with a $30+ cable, AUX or USB for Android, or just use a flash drive. ***Performance: If you want awesome acceleration that doesn't break the bank, this is a gold mine. Turn off ECO mode and traction control, slide to manual shifting, hit the accelerator to find the sweet spot. After almost 30k miles it has a 1-1.5 second delay between rolling at 20 to engaging full boost. Cornering is its weak point, not the sharpest or most precise, but 269 ft lb torque means you can slide the tail right out even in a fwd. I get about 30 mpg highway and can't keep lead foot under control enough to get more than 21 mpg in the summer. Previously was getting 24-26 mpg with ECO mode. ***Reliability: Hyundai initially fixed a few problems without charge when randomly in automatic (Drive) it would sometimes shift by itself as if in manual, displaying the gear number instead of D, at 60 mph I would sometimes end up in 2nd gear. They couldn't quite diagnose the problem but reflashed a few parts and the only remaining problem is problems with it automatically upshifting. And the stock tires are honestly terrible... Stock Hankook's were burned down to flat rubber after 20k miles and even prior would slip and completely stutter at the sight of a drop of rain. I used Blizzak WS70's in the winter in New York no problem, now I have Michelin Pilot A/S 3's, it's night and day. Nearing 28k miles Hyundai wanted me to shell out $300 for brake work and transmission fluid for my 30k service... ***Could be better: Cornering for sure, turbo latency (which can be fixed by upgraded parts), initially when I bought the car I had a TON of fog/dew on the inside and outside of my windows and windshield, defogger on full blast didn't fix a thing. Mirrors are harder to view than I would like with their shape and rear windshield slope. ***Overall: Never head a break down or a flat, awesome audio, fantastic performance, a few refinements here and there could be done, but overall great."

Very good car

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Blutooth, interior desin very roomy"

"I just purchased a Hundi Sonata. I seems roomy. I just love the fact that the care has Blutooth capability. That way I am totally hand free and I can hear the caller very clearly."

See if you qualify for