2014 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $20,338 - $20,971.

10/7.6

Based on 637 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Noooo Hyundai

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, Strong 4 Cylinder Engine, Superb Stereo"

Cons: "Rattles, Unreliable, A Ton Of Recalls, Cheap Parts"

"We have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that was purchased in 2013. At the time of purchase the car had 57,000 miles on it and now it has 79,000 on the odometer. The car looks great, but we have had the following problems: *Dome Light- The dome light is supposed to come on when the car door is open. The light wouldn't come, therefore the dealer had to replace a switch. COVERED UNDER THE 60,000 MILE WARRANTY *Steering Wheel Paint- The paint is peeling and others are experiencing this problem as well. *Tire Sensor- One of the tire sensors went bad and had to have that replaced. The constant light on in the instrument panel is a headache. *Front Fender- The fender cover is easy to crack. We have two cracks because the plastic is so cheap and flimsy. Don't hit anything because it will ruin it. TOUCH IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF *Fuel Pump- The fuel pump went out at 73,000. I was backing out the driveway and it just cut off. We had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the fuel pump. COVERED UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY ($600.00 repair) *Steering Rattle Over Bumps- The steering wheel is now rattling over bumps. They say the part is $9.00, but the labor will cost an additional $200.00. (NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY) *Gear Selector Issue- Sometimes the car doesn't show the selected gear in the gear box. When this happens, the car usually jerks really hard and acts as though it doesn't want to accelerate. We also had other problems where the gear shift didnt want to shift out of PARK. This was fixed under a recall. This car has had several recalls including a recall with the brake system. The radio makes a weird noise at times when the car is started and I don't know what is causing this issue. I also hear a bumping noise that is coming from the back, so this could be something with the suspension. I live in Texas and the AC doesn't start to cool until the car is driven for a few minutes. I thought Hyundai's were reliable, but we have had so many problems with this car. The warranty expires at 100,000 and it will go back to the DEALERSHIP. NO MORE HYUNDAI FOR ME!!!!"

prettyy good value

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

"This is a very good car. the controls are in the right places and perform well. The driving is very good. a few comments: 1- the fuel pump failed at 50K. fully covered under warranty 2 - the mpg is not quite as good as the EPA rating. I rarely get 34 on the highway (admitted I drive a little faster than the speed limit) 3 - the door unlock buttons on the exterior front doors are annoying. one push for one door. two pushes for all doors but only if in a very short time. I never get it right the first attempt."

Tremendous value, but a couple of quirks

By on Thursday, September 18, 2014

Pros: "Great value"

Cons: "Some quirks"

"Overall, I am very pleased with the car, and you get a lot for the money. 2 things have bugged me. First, sometimes the engine randomly makes fairly loud clicking or fluttering sound for a few seconds on start-up. The service technician told me it was normal (of course), but he did know immediately what I was talking about and did have a logical explanation (that I cannot remember enough to repeat here). Second, the car has a reading for average fuel economy. However, it automatically resets every time you get gas, so you cannot get a reading over a meaningful length of time. Oddly, you can also manually reset the reading at any time. Why would you do that if it's going to reset at your next fill up anyway? This may be one of the stupidest and most useless pieces of electronics I have ever seen in a car. Anyway, I do like the rest of the car."

Excellent Vehicle

By on Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pros: "great price, lots of space"

"Plenty of space, Excellent engine, low maintenance, gas saver."

Beautiful style and design, great for value

By on Sunday, September 07, 2014

"Very affordable vehicle for its beautiful design and style. I enjoy driving it until I could afford a Lexus ISC but I was happy with its acceleration and keyless startup. I would highly recommend the vehicle. Only issue I had was that my neighbors had the same vehicle."

Looks sharp, great features, price, and gas

By on Monday, September 01, 2014

Pros: "looks great, good price"

Cons: "not so much comfy seats and not a lot of head room"

"Bought in late 2010 for 25,700 (1400 off with rebate, 1000 below invoice) and was a great decision. Pros - Looks sharp, good gas (says 24/35 and I drive a lot of highway and get 33 normally), good pickup/torque, great technology features (although it lacks the lane departure and backup warnings the new 2015 sonata is but not an issue with the 2013). Cons - Not the most comfortable. As it is an inexpensive car, luxury seats, arm rest, little head room are not that easy to get used to. Other than those and 100 bucks to upgrade the GPS maps are my only complaints."

Some of the 4cyl turbos have issues

By on Sunday, August 31, 2014

Pros: "great style great ride and great fuel milage"

Cons: "problems with the 4 cyl turbos"

"Purchased used with 22k miles. We have had it in the shop twice in the first year. Now the third time it is in the shop getting a new engine. It only has 32k miles. Was told that they have had problems with some of the turbos. I loved every thing about the car, but I think we will trade it in when we get it back and get a Toyota Camry like my last two cars. Glad Camry has changed there body style in the 2015 model."

40 MPG Average 10 MPG better than my 2009

By on Friday, August 29, 2014

Pros: "MPG"

Cons: "A little sluggish"

"Very happy with purchase - have 1000 miles so far with a 40 MPG average - had 30 MPG average with my 2009 Sonata. Best Hybrid value on the market bar none. Great deals on 2014 models now at year end. Got 6K off the sticker prices with discounts and incentives."

needs more weight in the back. fishtails on

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

"uneven roads and slips when starting on a wet surface"

Keeps on Running

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "great gas mileage, easy to drive, nice looking"

Cons: "No complaints"

"Purchased this car in 2011 with around 19K miles. It has been a great car with little issues. Obviously I drive a ton of miles and this car just keeps going and going. I average 33 mpg overall which is very good for a car this size. It's not overly powerful, but gets moving when needed and never leaves you hanging. I was skeptical when I bought it because of all the miles I put on cars, but I can say I would not hesitate to buy another one and I have no problems recommending this car to anyone. My plan was to trade at 100K, but it has been so good to me that I decided to run it to 150K. Now I am thinking of running it to 200K!!"

Best car I've ever owned

By on Sunday, August 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable & roomy, gas saver, many features"

Cons: "Haven't found any yet"

"I've had many makes & models, but this has been the best & I would recommend it to everyone."

Great car and great quality.

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "QUALITY AND SERVICE FROM DEALERS"

Cons: "NONE"

"After owing cars manufactured and designed by the BIG THREE for fifty years, it is great to finally have a car with great price, quality and workmanship. I finally walked out of a dealer showroom with a new car and didn't feel I was being taken advantage of."

Gas mileage

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "Warranty, MPG, reliability."

Cons: "passenger seat sits very low."

"Dealer informed me that I would get 25/35 mpg. Skeptical because my last vehicle (Equinox) was suppose to get close to that and never did. Thus far, my best has been 36 city and "40.7" highway. Way over the top in joy."

Amazing automobile in every respect

By on Friday, August 22, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, Comfort, Equipment, Reliability,"

Cons: "There are no dislikes on my list"

This is exactly what I am driving.

"Have been driving over fifty years my first new car was a 59 Chevrolet I have owned many others both domestic and foreign. I have been more satisfied driving this vehicle than any other including my Caddy, mileage is amazing for a car with this much room and comfort. Performance is great. I love the body style. The SE model is really hi tech The entry model is no slouch. The SE was not the entry model in 2012. Interior room is fantastic. This is a great road car for a long trip and I am 6'2" 240. That is my 43,800 mile drivers report."

This is exactly what I am driving.

HYUNDIA SONATA GLS

By on Thursday, August 21, 2014

"PRETTY CAR,RELIABLE,AS LONG AS THE ROADS ARE DRY,(WINTER)OR WET ROADS BRAKES DON'T WORK WELL HAVE TO START STOPPING FOUR BLOCKS AWAY.THIS IS HOW I DRIVE IN THE WINTER (WET ROADS). I WAS TOLD NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY CAR. NERVER WAS ON RECALL LIST."

great value

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pros: "Great milage and 60/100,000 warranty."

Cons: "like a lot of cars on the road."

"Value is unsurpassed. Very comfortable and a nice driver. MPG is 36 on the highway."

Very confused on this car

By on Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage, clean look, nice highway ride."

Cons: "so-so interior, uncomfortable seats, bad service"

"I bought this car new after reading reviews off many sites. The car looks good and rides well on the highway. City driving is a bit rough, and it always feels like the suspension is weak over bumps and potholes. The car gets great mileage; above what the sticker says. The interior has very cheap plastic that seems to attract scratches. The scratches are permanent. The passenger seat sits very low, and most reviews on subscription sites say this. We have had the car in for repairs 3 times for electrical problems in the last 5 months. That is the confusing part, because Hyundai's are reportedly very reliable. If I were guessing, Hyundai has made their cars affordable for people not used to higher end quality workmanship. The flashy features like backup camera and touch screen controls may make the average consumer excited (it did to me), and cause them to overlook some shortcomings. I have owned a Honda, a Buick, and a couple Ford Windstar vans. This car is not the same quality, in my opinion. I did not post this review to bash Hyundai, or to talk you out of buying one-I just think you should know that not every Hyundai Sonata is perfect. Ours certainly isn't. When we bought this car we were 200 feet from a Honda dealer, with the Honda Accord very similarly priced. The Accord seemed bigger and more powerful. The Honda came with dual zone air conditioning, and remote start. We went with a hunch and chose the Sonata. If I had to do it again I would take the safe bet and go with the Honda."

My 5th Hyundai

By on Friday, August 15, 2014

Cons: "Stiff ride on 18" wheels. OEM tires were terrible."

"This is the best looking car I've ever owned. It's also fun to drive. Keeping it waxed with a quality product gives it a finish like a luxury brand - still looks like it came right out of the showroom. Couldn't be happier with Hyundai quality and value for the money. My only gripe about this car is the rough ride on the 18" wheels and performance tires. I just put new tires on after a trip to the seashore and they made a huge difference in handling and ride. I feel I can never go wrong with the Hyundai brand and will most likely never switch."

WOW! JUst Fantastic

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

"This car is the real deal. Fun to drive and outstanding gas milage without the small car feel."

I've had my car for 2 years and I love it!!!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2014

"I love my red Hyundai Sonata."

Great car for the money

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "all the above"

Cons: "18" tires are expensive"

"The car rides and handles like a sports car! 34 MPG on the highway @ 65MPH. Took a 5000 mile trip last winter with my wife and we were pleasantly surprised how comfortable it was on long trips"

Good car

By on Saturday, August 09, 2014

Pros: "Turbo makes it fun."

Cons: "Could improve ride"

"Good car"

Great value

By on Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Pros: "features for the price, gas mileage"

Cons: "Leather seat comfort is lacking"

"The 2011 Sonata has an attractive exterior styling and provides an excellent value. Excellent highway fuel economy and surprising power for a 4 cylinder engine. Leather seats aren't the most comfortable out there. Rides smoothly but won't ever be mistaken for a sporty vehicle in terms of responsiveness."

Best car I ever owned!

By on Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "can't think of a thing wrong with it!"

"I love this car more every day! It rides and drives so good and just feels like it was always my car. I love my dealership too."

Basic Transporatation

By on Friday, August 01, 2014

Pros: "Great mileage and Exce[tional Blue tooth"

Cons: "Horrible defroster"

"Had the car for 3 years I would rate it higher if it wasn't for the worst defroster one can imagine,then again maybe I rat5ed it too high because unless you live in a warm climate don't buy The car Great mileage"