2013 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $23,751 - $24,619.

10/7.7

Based on 604 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Front passenger seat too low

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Great Value,Comfortable driving."

Cons: "Low passenger seat"

"Persons with back problems have a hard time exiting from the passenger front seat because it sits too low and there is no seat adjustment to raise the seat."

Excellent car for the price

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "good mileage"

Cons: "harsher ride"

"Gets great mileage (I average 38 to 40 from Philly to New York). Only minus is the harsher ride due to the low ride tires."

great car, good gas mileage

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "fun to drivel, stylish"

Cons: "n/a"

"Wanted a car with more room and 6 speed manual - this did the trick. Great gas mileage and fun to drive."

Not a good ride, tires too small.

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Good price, paid 21,000 new."

Cons: "Worth probable 18,000. A profit car for dealer."

"A very bumpy ride. Tires too small. Not wide enough. If you change, it voids the warranty. Seats are not comfortable. Need a little more room in car. Right front seat too low. No adjustment at all. Gets Great gas mileage. 24 City. 33 Hiway loaded."

So much better than last year!

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

"I owned the 2013 Sonata (non-hybrid) for the last two years. I bought the 2014 hybrid version today and was absolutely stunned at how different it was and how much it has improved. I read a bunch of reviews, and I haven't heard anyone mention this: Every single thing on this car is better quality than the 2013 version. And, very important to me is that it has a much quieter ride, and a much smoother ride. It's just on the edge now of feeling like a full-fledged luxury car! No quite there yet - but getting there. The 2013 despite how solid it was and how well it held up in some really bad conditions, it always felt like a tin can. I'm really surprised that none of the reviews (that I saw), especially the pro reviewers mentioned anything about the new and improved ride and the much quieter cabin. Those two things do so much to make this feel like a much more expensive car. And it's nice not to feel like I'm riding around in a tin can anymore. They also made some very nice improvements on the dashboard... adding color to the screens. That old grey screen was unbearable. This is really fresh and easy on the eyes. But where I was really surprised was after driving around for a while I began to notice little detail touches that make a big difference in the quality feel of the car. Everything in the car has been improved. When you lock the doors, it makes less noise. When you turn on the blinkers, the arm has a much smoother, softer feel to it. Very luxurious feeling. And a big improvement over the 2013. When you shift into gear, the gear shift has a much smoother, softer and quieter feel to it. Some of these things feel even better than they did on the Lexus RX 330 I used to own several years ago. Bumps in the road feel much less bumpy. A very smooth ride compared to the 2013 Sonata. And so much quieter. The 2013 always made me feel like they had drilled holes in the floor just to make sure you could hear every bit of road noise possible. On the 2014s, they have apparently closed up all the holes and insulated them well with some sound dampening materials. Oh! And I forgot to mention the most important thing to all drivers and front-seat passengers! The front seats are so much more comfortable than the front seats on the 2013 Sonatas. Wow! What a difference that makes. You really slide into a very comfortable and soft seat. The 2013 seats feel like sitting on wooden benches compared to these. I read some reviews that said this hybrid model, isn't as smooth as some of its competitors. I've never driven another hybrid, but I will take their word for it. There's definitely a different feeling to it than driving an all gas car. But I didn't feel or notice anything that really stood out as something that would be really annoying. The brakes do feel a little different from the all-gas Sonatas. Especially right at the end of a stop - if you were pressing on them really hard. But it's not a feeling that makes you at all concerned whether or not it's going to stop. It's one of those things that once you get used to it, you won't even notice it anymore. For anyone else who hasn't driven a hybrid yet either, it's a really cool sensation. When you stop the engine really turns off! You have the sensation that the engine has stalled. The car is completely quiet - but everything is still running, like AC and radio and whatever else you might have on. And when the engine turns off, you're not burning an ounce of gas. I found myself for once, wishing for more red lights! The more you sit, the less you burn... just the opposite of a gas car. It amazes me how the air conditioning and everything else runs so seamlessly even when the engine switches off. It also amazed me how quickly and easily it seems that the battery charges back up. It was twitting between 1/4 full and 1/2 full the whole time I drove it. Never having driven a hybrid before, I was under the impression that it would take hours of driving and braking to charge it up. But just applying brakes going down a long hill made the charge indicator jump up about a quarter. Wish my phone battery could charge that fast! When I got home I parked in my garage and left the engine "running", so I could program in my old GPS destinations. This took about 30 minutes. It was such a weird sensation to sit there with the car totally quiet and yet not have to worry about running the battery dead. Every 5 minutes or so the engine would kick in for about a minute, and that would recharge the battery enough to go another 5 minutes with no engine. Very cool. On the gas mileage, I was amazed. I know they say other hybrids get a few more miles to the gallon. But really, I'm just happy to get any more miles to the gallon at this point! I drove from Long Island where the dealership is, into Manhattan. About a 40 minute trip. A little stop and go traffic on the way in, and a lot of stop and go once I reached Manhattan. I was absolutely stunned that by the end of the trip I had averaged 38 miles per gallon! Okay, so if I had gotten a Prius or whatever, I might have averaged 42 mpg. But I'm certainly not complaining. That's pretty close to double what I would have gotten in the 2013 non-hybrid Sonata. The 2013 non-hybrid was doing great to reach 30 mpg on the highway on a long trip. So to get 8 mpg more than that in the city where I do most of my driving - is awesome! The way I see it, this car just cut gas prices from $3.45/gallon to $1.73! I guess a Prius might have cut the price to $1.69. But it's all in the same ballpark. With all that said, given Hyundai's amazing reliability and the way my 2013 held up this winter in all kinds of terrible conditions and with horrible potholes everywhere, buying this car seemed like a really smart choice. And so far... one day and a hundred miles into it - it's looking promising!"