2011 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 754 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

best car ever owned

By on Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Pros: "great car over all. fun to drive"

Cons: "wish it had darker tinted windows"

"best reliable car ever owned and one of the fastest,traded in my bmw for it. still driving it today, but I must say you must get the turbo model."

Nice car, good gas mileage over the road

By on Tuesday, May 07, 2013

"Overall a good value car, good gas mileage over the road approx 32 mpg in town around 22, drives nice, a little outside noise when driving on the road, seats are fairly comfortable but could be better, nice trunk room and backseat leg room. Would like the car to let a little less outside noise in when driving. My rating would be 8 out of 10"

HYUNDAI LOVER

By on Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable seats, easy to drive. Good trunk."

Cons: "Front headrest odd height for some passengers."

"This is my fourth Hyundai and I will never buy any other brand. I was one of the first in my area to buy a Hyundai when they came out and never regretted it. As a single woman I need a car that is reliable and can be counted upon to get me around without question. Each of the Hyundais I have owned ran well with just normal maintenance and kept their value at trade-in. My current 2011 Sonata is metallic red and I still get comments on how pretty it is."

Love my Sonata

By on Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cons: "Passenger seat needs to be automatic."

"As soon as I took the test drive, I was hooked. Love the seat comfort, driving it is great, handling is good and mileage is as good as stated, over 30 in town. My only criticism is the passenger seat which is not automatic, I thought they all were. Not being automatic makes it harder to get out of since it is lower and not adjustable. We would definitely look to purchase another Hyundai."

Great Vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Pros: "Looks, gas mileage, price"

Cons: "Outside noise on freeway"

"I bought my 2011 Hyundai Sonata in February 2011. It is now January 2013 and I have a bit over 32,000 miles on it. I bought this car because I saw a few of them around town and they were surprisingly good looking cars for a Hyundai. I used to think I would NEVER own one but I went ahead and traded in my 2010 Toyota Tacoma for one because of fuel costs. On average I get about 460 miles per 16 gallon tank of gas. I have zero complaints about the gas whatsoever. The Sonata looks good. I have had one problem with the car which was the brake locking up when I would try and start the car. Since you have to engage the brake in order to start the vehicle it was a bit of an issue. I took it in around 21,000 miles to have it fixed which of course was free of charge since it was well under warranty. The service is always great I just get the oil changed and tires rotated ever 5,000 miles. The tire tread is still like new so I don't see having to get new tires anytime soon. The navigation system still works great and when I lived in the D.C. area it was a lifesaver! This car has taken me from coast to coast multiple trips and with no problems! Happy to have bought this vehicle and I would reccommend it to others as well!"

103,000 MILES ON 2011 SONATA

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, unbelievable gas mileage, great look"

Cons: "ride a little stiff on SE"

"I have to share my very positive experience with my 2011 Sonata SE. When we went shopping for a car I reluctantly went to the Hyundai dealer, it didn't take long to say WOW look at this. After test driving all three levels we decided on the SE trim. Great list of standard features with the proximity key and sporty good looks. We have followed the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule very closely and had absolutely no issues in 103k miles. This car has amazed me since day one with it's gas mileage, I average 34mpg. This number is not off the computer this is the fact that I regularly get 550 miles on a 16 gallon fill up. Do the math thats awesome. I have recommended this car to many and now in process of looking for it's replacement which I believe to be another Sonata, but this time probably a limited for it's quieter and smoother ride. Thanks Hyundai for a great experience!"

Exactly what I wanted....

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pros: "MPG, roomy, great features, good power for a 4 cyl"

Cons: "Road noise"

"I have owned the 2.4 ltr Limited now for one full year and I have to say it is everything I had asked for. My primary goal was fuel economy, functionality, and good looks. I routinely have an overall average mpg of 32-33 and have been as high as 43 on long hwy trips. There is plenty of passenger room and the added feature of the fold-down rear seats helps with extra cargo needs. I have only had one issue and it was the radio lighting went out the night I picked the vehicle up, but it was replaced quickly. My only complaint is the hwy noise on concrete roads and my brake calipers are rusting. There is not much sound suppression built into the car, so it can get a little noisy. Other than that, the Sonata has lived up to its promise."

As of former GM owner, this car is great.

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Smooth ride, quick acceleration, loaded features"

Cons: "When cold, engine idle rpm too high."

"I bought a 2013 Limited with the 2.0t engine. The car looks great and drives great. I averaged over 33 mpg on a 1000 mile trip to Wash DC. I need to use the cruise control or I may get too many speeding tickets because the ride is so smooth and the turbo engine is so quick. I have owned over 20 GM cars and this is by far the best car I have ever owned. Buy one quick."

Top Notch Car

By on Saturday, July 07, 2012

Pros: "Great looks and driving experience. Good MPG."

Cons: "none I can think of"

"The 2013 Sonata SE 2.0T is a family sedan that is still great fun to drive, and for the money, is one of the best values going right now. Compare it to Toyota, Nissan, Honda, or US automakers (this car is assembled in the US), and I seriously doubt you"ll find more "bang for the buck" anywhere. This car looks, feels, and drives like a much more expensive car than it is. I'm really happy with my purchase."

Excellent value and fun to drive

By on Sunday, June 24, 2012

Pros: "comfort, safety, fuel economy, long warranty"

"This car is a great balance of price, fuel economy, safety, drivability and comfort. Hybrid cars are designed to maximize mpg by combining gas and electric engines with a regenerative braking system that converts kinetic energy to electric energy that is generated during stopping and stored in the battery system. To maximize mpg, it is necessary to make sacrifices. In evaluating hybrid cars, it is essential for each person to consider what is important that cannot be compromised. If absolute mileage is the most important thing, they get a Prius. However, if even one of the following features is important to you: comfort, safety, warranty security or driving experience, then you strongly consider getting a Sonata Hybrid. I was layed up for an extended period of time and did a great deal of researching. What I found was that the Sonata hybrid had the most driver room (head, leg, hip, shoulder) among hybrid sedans that were not luxury cars. I test drove several hybrid sedans. For me the Sonata hybrid was the most comfortable and easiest to get in and out of (I have diseased lower extremity joints, my knees being the worst). In addition to room, I liked the way the Sonata hybrid handled. I was sensitive to issues that I had read about in reviews - 1) hesitancy at low speed in shifing gears and switching between electic and gas engines and 2) uneven braking. I experienced minimal hesitancy at low speed and felt the braking was smooth in test drives. The price was good, the safety rating excellent and the warranty very long; therefore, I took the plunge and purchased a 2011 Sonata hybrid in May of 2011. After free updates of the engine computer system, there was no hesitancy in shifting at any speed. During the past year the 2011 Sonata Hybrid was absolutely the best car I ever owned (I have been driving for over 40 years). I obtained 42 mpg in mixed highway/city driving and had no problems. The car did well in snow and slushy driving, even with the low rolling resistance Hankook tires. My wife liked the car so much that we were vying for who would have the privilege of driving the 2011 Sonata hybrid. When one of the children came in need of a car, we decided to pass the 2007 Saturn Aura that was my wife's car to the our son and acquired a 2012 Sonata hybrid (our second Sonata hybrid). A second reason for getting a second Sonata hybrid was that the Bluetooth handsfree phone use system is the best I have seen. I got an add-in Bluetooth system installed in the Saturn, but it just did not work anywhere as well as the Sonata Bluetooth. We purchased the 2012 Sonata hybrid with the "leather package," which provides heated front and rear leather seats and few other features. Experience with the 2012 Sonata hybrid: 1) The ride was smooth at all speeds - there was no low speed hesitancy and the braking was true without pull to either side and without any suggestion of sudden grabbing. 2) The leather package is very nice - the leather is easier to clean after one of the grandchildren has been riding. 3) The car is extremely roomy - easily holds any combination of up to 5 adults/children in car seats (car seats in the back of course!) 4) The car is quiet - even with the gas engine running. In my opinion the road and wind noise is minimal. 5) The gas mileage has been on three fillup - 48, 45 and 44 mpg with the ratio of city to highway of about 70/30. The car gets higher mpg in highway driving compared to slower city driving. The city driving in Cleveland Ohio is nothing like New York of Chicago and we really do not have bumper-to-bumper traffic. Consequently, people living in areas with really bad traffic might get lower numbers. 6) The electronic proximity detection system that is linked to the push-button ignition is very intuitive. Combine the electronic ignition system with the excellent crash ratings and the overall seating comfort provides a really nice sense of security. The car really drives well and if the driver screws up, there is an excellent likelihood of walking away without little or no harm to the driver or passengers. For me my wife, children and grandchildren are precious to me. I feel safe driving with precious cargo in the car. In summary, the Sonata hybrid is a safe, fun to drive and economical car that protects your family and is kind to the environment. If one wants to preserve comfort and safety with fuel economy, this is a great car. I am not the only one who is enthusiastic about this car. The Sonata hybrid won the AutoPacific’s 2012 Vehicle Satisfaction Award in the hybrid/EV car class."

So far so good!! Nice ride, great fuel savings!

By on Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pros: "Price, power and FUEL SAVINGS"

Cons: "Rd noise could be less, but not like Hondas!"

"Nice driving vehicle. You get your moneys worth on this vehicle. Great fuel savings, styling, and Hyundai has included all of the essential accessories you should need and included in the price. The only con I have to date is the road noise could be a little less. The road noise is not as bad as the Honda vehicles. It is probably more noticable on the Hyundai because it is quiet being a Hybrid. If you are in the market for a new vehicle, this should be one you take a look at."

Good Value and Stylish

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Design, features, price vs competition"

Cons: "Finishes around dash/cupholders scratch easily"

"I have enjoyed this car and have had it a year now. I did have a problem with a creaking noise, which took numerous trips to dealership to correct. It turned out to be something with the fender parts rubbing together. Also a negative is that around the radio area, the shiny panel and cupholders, it seems to "scratch/mark" easily. Occasionally, the bluetooth doesn't recognize voice commands and certain names it doesn't recognize well, but I believe that is more an issue of the BT technology which I hope Hyundai can improve on. Those are the negatives. The positives are: I picked the camel pearl and I love the color and interior black/tan combination. It is a very stylish car and I've had a lot of people tell me what a nice car it is. It has a lot of very nice features with the Bluetooth, XM radio, iPod/MPS player all standard. The amount of trunk space is incredible. I like the handling, and it can make very tight turns, which I love. I rarely have to back up or do a K-turn--I can just swing around and go the other direction. I've seen reviews about road noise, but I don't find it to be all that bad. It has a very nice interior finish and I have not had any mechanical problems other than the creaking noise, which was rectified. The service department at my dealership is always courteous and has worked diligently for me. They get high praise. I always wanted good gas mileage vehicles, so have driven a few Honda Civic's before this, but found with my two younger children growing up and taking friends along on outings that the interior space was getting too cramped which is why I upgraded. I didn't want a higher gas tag every time I filled up, but I had to do it for more space. This car has a lot of space inside. While it just can't get as good a gas mileage, I am pretty happy with it. I have just over an 18 gallon tank. I fill up probably 17 gallons at a time and my mileage averages close to 28 mpg. I do a lot of city driving. I took one long trip on mostly freeway and went nearly 500 miles on one tank of gas. For the size car, I was impressed. I also like the features which probably are coming standard now, but all the statistics on your gas mileage and information on the dash panel such as outside temp, distance till empty, and that you can use the steering wheel as the command center for the radio so you never have to take your hands off the wheel. Overall, am happy and just hoping gas doesn't go to $5.00 a gallon!"

better than accord

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "value,gas milage,reliability"

Cons: "wish it had longer leg room for driver"

"i have owned quite a few cars including hondas mitsubishi and ford and must say the sonata blows them out of the water i was looking for a new car and drove the hondas and toyotas and the ride /performance is very much better in the sonata try them yourself,also drove 440 miles from portland to seatle plus run around and still had 1/4 tank when got home honda only dreams of that"

Great car for the money

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "great price..great value"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Ive had this car for a few months..everything is great esp for the money. However I'm only getting 20 miles in the city and 23 mixed..I'm driving very very conservatively ..I'm hoping that it gets better as the car gets more broken in."

Perfect for me!

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "great price and mileage, idiot proof, looks sharp"

Cons: "can't get sunroof without GPS; no leather seats"

"I love that this car is "idiot-proof". I never have to dig my keys out of my purse to access or start my car - I just have to have them with me! It also won't allow you to lock the keys in the car. It's comfortable and super-spacious for it's size. Handles beautifully without the drag that you typically experience when excelerating most 4 cyl cars. Love the iPad sync/charging cable too! Everything I need in a commuter at my finger tips. Plus - I've never gotten LESS than 30 mpg on a tank of gas! Road trips - even through the mountain passes - have gotten between 35-40 mpg. WOW! But, all this aside... it's a sharp looking vehicle!"

Wonderful

By on Sunday, January 06, 2008

"This has been the best car, I bought it used at 29,000 and I've owned it for 100,000 miles and it's never needed anything more than just maintenance. I was in a major accident in this car and came out of it with a tiny scratch on one hand. I recommend this car to everyone"

2011 model set the style trend for today's vehicle

By on Saturday, January 02, 2016

"When I test drove the 2.4 liter model I thought I was driving a V-6. That power and response remains today. The comfort of the car is very good, only leather seats may improve upon it. The electronic steering makes parallel parking easy and I do a lot of that in places like Washington, DC. I plan on keeping this car for quite a long time. I recommend any buyer to pickup one, even the new ones as they appear to be holding up well. Mine had 62000 miles on it. I did, however, have to replace the right front brake caliper when I performed routine brake pad replacement. I found the aftermarket replacement part about $15 more than the same caliper for my 2006 Dodge truck. Bottom line, great car, in my opinion."

Great Car!!

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

I own this car

Pros: "Ride-MPG - all options-Panoramic sunroof."

Cons: "Have to take very easy to get MPG"

"If you drive it right you can get better than the EPA ratings I got 39.8 first tank mixed driving and 41.5 second tank also mixed driving. Very smooth ride and great fit and finish."

Sporty Sedan with luxury features

By on Monday, January 27, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "Mileage good, not great"

"The Sonata is the best car purchase I've made. With loads of comfort and convenience features, it is priced about $10k less than the equivalent luxury brand. The 2.0 turbo is powerful, yet the ride is very smooth. Heated leather seats, a panoramic sunroof, and power everything. I already have recommended it to several friends. Mileage is a bit overestimated by Hyundai, but still averages 29 hwy and around 24 city. Not terrible. But that's why I gave it an overall "9" instead of 10, because Hyundai put the hard sell on mileage which this car is a bit behind the curve on. That being said, I would buy this car over, and over, and OVER again. LOVE my Sonata!"

great value for the money

By on Thursday, January 09, 2014

"It is a five passenger midsize sedan well appointed but not the top of the line. I bought the 2013 model in November of 2012. It took some arm twisting but I got the car for $18,000. I compared Honda, Toyota and Ford before buying, and in my opinion the Sonota was by far the best buy AND it has a 100,000 warranty. The fuel economy is not quite as rated but then are any of them? I get a consistent 29 miles per gallon and considering the size of the car I am ok with that."

Love the car - bought another Hyundai 6 mos later!

By on Monday, January 06, 2014

Pros: "great pricing/value, solid vehicle, good warranty"

Cons: "headrests on my model too far foward"

"Bought my first Hyundai in January 2011 and I love it. I was actually looking at Kia's and not interested in Hyundai, but my husband looked at the Sonata and the Elantra and convinced me to drive them. I was sold. I used to be in the car business, so I'm a little more savvy than some and have owned everything from a 1972 VW Rabbit to a Mercedes and everything in between. This is a great car and especially for the price. I bought the base, base Sonata, paid for aftermarket leather and I was done. Thought I'd miss the electric seats (trying to save money at the time we bought it), but have not. The standard Bluetooth, MP3 format, satellite radio, etc. I would rather have that than the electric seats standard on some other models and none of the aforementioned goodies. The only thing I don't like about this vehicle is the headrest configuration. It pushes my head way too far forward. My husband's Elantra (purchased 6 months later) is not near as bad. That being said, we have 61K miles on it in just 3 years, with many of those miles being very long trips. Will definitely look at another Sonata when this one has done it's time!"

Excellent Car

By on Saturday, January 04, 2014

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "Passenger seats are too low in all the Sonata's."

"My Sonata gets 30-31 mpg driving 72 mph on the highway. In town, I get 26 mpg. I installed mud guards all around on the car and had the window tint installed. I like riding my bicycle, and by laying both back seats folded down, I can carry my bike and all my gear with me. I normally drive sports cars or pickups, but thought it was time I bought a "grandma car". Now I want to go back and drive a sportier car again is why I'm selling this car. This Sonata is a great car and there is not a thing wrong with it."

Best I've owned so far

By on Monday, December 30, 2013

Pros: "Value - fun - comfort"

Cons: "Haven't found one yet"

"VERY comfortable - such a great ride - smooth - dependable; I actually ran it out of gas and drove on battery to get more. It has the ability to shift similar to a standard, even though it's automatic. I have the Limited version - so it's decked out. Heated seats even in the rear seat! Engine is super quite - push button AND remote start; sound system is awesome. Navigation, back up camera - XM radio - it has it all. All the creature comforts of a luxury car - including the ride - without the high price of a luxury vehicle. Texoma Hyundai - thank you - Especially to my awesome salesman who went to bat for me: Brandon!! I have a NEW FAVORITE BRAND of car - HYUNDAI - because they care about me :)"

Love it!!!

By on Thursday, June 27, 2013

Pros: "Styling, price, comfort"

Cons: "Sometimes the battery just runs out not reliable"

"I have to say I love this car and I own a Lexus ISF sometimes I prefer this one over my Toyota sequoia and my ISF. Styling is the best out of any of its competition. Also it's the best bang for ur buck"

Extremely pleased!

By on Sunday, June 09, 2013

Pros: "Style, comfort, price, standard equipment, mpg"

Cons: "Periodic hesitation from electric to engine"

"I am not one to purchase new cars and my other vehicles are garage built street rods. I needed something efficient because I was tired of spending $500/ month in gas. My first thought was a Prius... until I drove the thing. It was the most uncomfortable overpriced triangle I had ever come across. My wife suggested looking into Hyundai which I had never even considered. I looked up the Sonata Hybrid and was pretty impressed by their effort to create a car with style and futuristic lines. I have owned the car now for just over two years and am still blown away when I see it in the parking lot! It has more style and grace to the inside and outside than its overpriced "luxury" competitors! It is extremely comfortable to drive and still looks tough. This coming from someone who drives it apx. 2200 miles a month, builds street rods, and hauls around a string bass for gigs (yes it fits!!!) The only thing that annoys me is that there are times when the transition from electric to engine creates a little hesitation but for the mileage, design and price I'll deal with it occasionally. I know Hyundai came under fire for the whole mpg thing but if I drive without a lead foot I pull pretty consistently at 38 mpg, even going 75 down the Interstate."