2011 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 634 Ratings for the 2011 - 2014 models.

Great car although about $4,000 to high NEW

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Great ride & econamy. Very nice."

Cons: "Alittle too spendy"

"Went in for a elantra equipped the same. Wife fell in love with the Sonata Limited, and the sales staff knew they Had This Car Sold ! They have never seen one with Burgandy and Black Leather."

Sharp car, handles nice, but the ride is stiff

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "fast, fun, and still economical"

Cons: "ride is as smooth and silky as burlap"

"I have had this car for just under a year, and can only say one bad thing about it. The ride is brutal on your bladder. Granted, I bought the SE model for the looks and the 196 HP, but do I need to feel every single crease in the road. I know it has to do with the tires and the stiffer suspension, but I have been in old Corvettes that seem to have a smoother ride. Now, on to the good stuff. This car is fun to drive, especially with the steering wheel mounted paddle shifters, and still fits a family of five with comfort. Definitely not hard on the eyes, like other Hyundais. However, this car remains a sleeper on the Parkway, meaning the Police will not pull you over as much, even at high speeds. Great gas mileage for the power you get out of this four-banger(33-35 Mpg Hwy, depending on the gas you put in. I recommend BP) Clearly visable and easy to use controls, so turning on the radio or the A/C is not a chore. And of course...THE WARRENTY, which cannot be beat! Overall...I would say that I enjoy this car, but some improvements can be made."

I love this car!

By on Monday, July 14, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, great fuel economy"

Cons: "passenger seat sits low for vertically challenged"

"First and foremost is cost of ownership -- This car has required only regular maintenance, as any car does. Fuel economy is awesome....30-40 mpg, depending on how much local driving has been involved. Love the 8-way power driver's seat, especially on long distance drives. I can adjust the seat while driving to reduce back strain."

Stylish, comfortable, but still a slow hybrid

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "Great Mileage, Stylish, Extreme Value"

Cons: "Slow - Don't pull out into oncoming traffic"

"The vehicle is fantastic looking with LED headlight accents and interior accent lighting. The seats are comfortable enough for a 14 hour road trip, and everything inside is superior to similar priced cars. The gas mileage is amazing, I got approximately 45 mpg with the A/C on while on the highway with cruise control in operation at 75 mph. Unfortunately, the vehicle is very slow to switch from battery to gas engine when pulling out into traffic from a complete stop. The engine lacks acceleration and power. It is reliable, has had no issues mechanically in the 3.5 years I've owned it. Buy a spare tire though, because the base model Sonata doesn't come with one."

Has all the bells and whistles

By on Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Pros: "Has all the extras and nice styling."

Cons: "Gas mileage not as good as other hybrids"

"I purchased the 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Limited for the gas mileage and because it comes with keyless entry, navigation, back-up camera and leather seats. It is also a nice looking sedan compared to the Accord or Camry. It drives pretty good and has some get up and go when you need it. Unfortunately I can attest to the safety. It works exactly as it should after 2 1/2 months and 4000 miles I was hit by a driver in a full-size SUV running a read light. The side curtain airbags went off and the whole front end was mushed in. I am relatively unhurt."

Love it!

By on Monday, July 07, 2014

"Been a Honda family for 28 years and was ready to buy another one when I decided to look at the Sonata.Was overwhelmed at the amount of car you get for the money and the warranty is so much better than almost any other car maker. Honda quality is so good that it was a little hard not to get another one.Time will tell once the mileage rolls up, but I said the same thing when I first decided to buy a Honda in 1986."

Good looking, great turning radius, quick.

By on Saturday, July 05, 2014

Pros: "Turning radius, performance, mileage, ft. leg room"

Cons: "Suspension just OK, steering feel/feedback poor"

"Performance vs. economy excellent. Leg room excellent."

My experience with a rented Sonata

By on Friday, July 04, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great gas mileage and cool design"

Cons: "Cheap interior, not many standard features"

"We drove a 2013 Sonata as a rental car for a week between Myrtle Beach, Charleston, and Greenville, South Carolina. The best thing about the car was the gas mileage. We made a round trip around the state and then some, and only filled up when returning it to the airport, and even then we weren't close to empty. I liked the sporty exterior styling, and the sculpted interior and dashboard that wrapped around you. This in addition to the high window-line gave me a very safe, secure feeling inside the car. I also liked the design of the 3-dimensional gauge cluster. While I liked the shape of the interior, the materials were almost exclusively hard plastic, aside from the top of the dash. I liked the climate control buttons and the standard satellite radio, but the radio cluster was disappointing to look at. The radio screen was small and would freeze, you would have to change stations and change back to see what song was playing. There were other cheap elements of the car, such as the outdated "Hyundai" car key and the wimpy roadrunner horn that would beep when you locked the car. The car had a firm and solid ride, which was good but not necessarily fun or sporty."

Best car we have ever owned.

By on Thursday, July 03, 2014

Pros: "Fun, economical, powerful, amazing price!"

Cons: "It isn't a transformer, but then again, what is?"

"Hyundai has caused the market to step up their game with this car. Impressed and pleased."

Excellent engine, could use a few refinements

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Engine, stock features, price, reliability"

Cons: "Handling, service, depreciation"

"***Value: I paid $24,880 in 2011 for the current 2011 Sonata SE 2.0T, no upgraded audio, nav, or moonroof. For what it's worth I can't stand car navigation systems and don't miss the moonroof. It's depreciated more than I would have liked, at about 13-15k as of 2014 ***Audio: For me the stock audio, no high powered amp, no sub, etc doesn't mean poor audio at all. The stock audio is fantastic, volume isn't the loudest but it has great dynamics, clarity and connections for an iPhone in particular with a $30+ cable, AUX or USB for Android, or just use a flash drive. ***Performance: If you want awesome acceleration that doesn't break the bank, this is a gold mine. Turn off ECO mode and traction control, slide to manual shifting, hit the accelerator to find the sweet spot. After almost 30k miles it has a 1-1.5 second delay between rolling at 20 to engaging full boost. Cornering is its weak point, not the sharpest or most precise, but 269 ft lb torque means you can slide the tail right out even in a fwd. I get about 30 mpg highway and can't keep lead foot under control enough to get more than 21 mpg in the summer. Previously was getting 24-26 mpg with ECO mode. ***Reliability: Hyundai initially fixed a few problems without charge when randomly in automatic (Drive) it would sometimes shift by itself as if in manual, displaying the gear number instead of D, at 60 mph I would sometimes end up in 2nd gear. They couldn't quite diagnose the problem but reflashed a few parts and the only remaining problem is problems with it automatically upshifting. And the stock tires are honestly terrible... Stock Hankook's were burned down to flat rubber after 20k miles and even prior would slip and completely stutter at the sight of a drop of rain. I used Blizzak WS70's in the winter in New York no problem, now I have Michelin Pilot A/S 3's, it's night and day. Nearing 28k miles Hyundai wanted me to shell out $300 for brake work and transmission fluid for my 30k service... ***Could be better: Cornering for sure, turbo latency (which can be fixed by upgraded parts), initially when I bought the car I had a TON of fog/dew on the inside and outside of my windows and windshield, defogger on full blast didn't fix a thing. Mirrors are harder to view than I would like with their shape and rear windshield slope. ***Overall: Never head a break down or a flat, awesome audio, fantastic performance, a few refinements here and there could be done, but overall great."

Very good car

By on Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Pros: "Blutooth, interior desin very roomy"

"I just purchased a Hundi Sonata. I seems roomy. I just love the fact that the care has Blutooth capability. That way I am totally hand free and I can hear the caller very clearly."

My car has been at dealer multiple times

By on Monday, June 30, 2014

Pros: "great price, smooth"

Cons: "always problem/issues with car, bad cust. service"

"Have had so many issues with my car from recalls to warranty parts breaking. I have not been happy with customer service. Took my car for an oil change a week ago and then again I recently had my car towed Thursday night. Friday no call back from service, so i finally called at noon and still hasn't been looked at might be a broken part in the engine can take 3 weeks. Today is Monday evening and no word from service. I am not happy with the car nor customer service. Thinking on selling car and getting a more reliable and better service ... DO NOT BUY"

Outstanding in nearly every way. Luxurious, superb

By on Saturday, June 28, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, power, style"

Cons: "None in our minds."

"Styling on this vehicle has been written about by others, but the finish is superb. Great gas mileage, approaching 40 at moderate speeds and over long stretches. No repairs, just goes and goes. Terrific value."

Best Car Value Ever

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Incredible MPG for such a big car!!!"

Cons: "None, really"

"I'm getting 40+mpg regularly with highway driving and never less than 35mpg a tank average for combined driving. The car is spacious, comfortable, reliable and gets up to go when I need it to. I have it serviced as recommended and haven't had a bit of trouble from it. With gas prices being what they are now, I am so glad I made the decision to buy the Sonata. I don't always need the extra space, but it sure comes in handy when I do need it!"

Love this car!

By on Thursday, June 26, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, stylish"

Cons: "Lower in-town MPG than expected"

"The Sonata is probably the best car we have ever owned. It runs great, gets great mileage on the road (up to 40 MPG), and is fun to drive. It is solidly built as well. I would recommend this one to anyone looking for a reliable vehicle. Only drawback is the in-town MPG, only about 60% of highway. If you can afford the hybrid version of this car you would be set!"

Front passenger seat too low

By on Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pros: "Great Value,Comfortable driving."

Cons: "Low passenger seat"

"Persons with back problems have a hard time exiting from the passenger front seat because it sits too low and there is no seat adjustment to raise the seat."

Excellent car for the price

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "good mileage"

Cons: "harsher ride"

"Gets great mileage (I average 38 to 40 from Philly to New York). Only minus is the harsher ride due to the low ride tires."

great car, good gas mileage

By on Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pros: "fun to drivel, stylish"

Cons: "n/a"

"Wanted a car with more room and 6 speed manual - this did the trick. Great gas mileage and fun to drive."

Not a good ride, tires too small.

By on Sunday, June 15, 2014

Pros: "Good price, paid 21,000 new."

Cons: "Worth probable 18,000. A profit car for dealer."

"A very bumpy ride. Tires too small. Not wide enough. If you change, it voids the warranty. Seats are not comfortable. Need a little more room in car. Right front seat too low. No adjustment at all. Gets Great gas mileage. 24 City. 33 Hiway loaded."

So much better than last year!

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

"I owned the 2013 Sonata (non-hybrid) for the last two years. I bought the 2014 hybrid version today and was absolutely stunned at how different it was and how much it has improved. I read a bunch of reviews, and I haven't heard anyone mention this: Every single thing on this car is better quality than the 2013 version. And, very important to me is that it has a much quieter ride, and a much smoother ride. It's just on the edge now of feeling like a full-fledged luxury car! No quite there yet - but getting there. The 2013 despite how solid it was and how well it held up in some really bad conditions, it always felt like a tin can. I'm really surprised that none of the reviews (that I saw), especially the pro reviewers mentioned anything about the new and improved ride and the much quieter cabin. Those two things do so much to make this feel like a much more expensive car. And it's nice not to feel like I'm riding around in a tin can anymore. They also made some very nice improvements on the dashboard... adding color to the screens. That old grey screen was unbearable. This is really fresh and easy on the eyes. But where I was really surprised was after driving around for a while I began to notice little detail touches that make a big difference in the quality feel of the car. Everything in the car has been improved. When you lock the doors, it makes less noise. When you turn on the blinkers, the arm has a much smoother, softer feel to it. Very luxurious feeling. And a big improvement over the 2013. When you shift into gear, the gear shift has a much smoother, softer and quieter feel to it. Some of these things feel even better than they did on the Lexus RX 330 I used to own several years ago. Bumps in the road feel much less bumpy. A very smooth ride compared to the 2013 Sonata. And so much quieter. The 2013 always made me feel like they had drilled holes in the floor just to make sure you could hear every bit of road noise possible. On the 2014s, they have apparently closed up all the holes and insulated them well with some sound dampening materials. Oh! And I forgot to mention the most important thing to all drivers and front-seat passengers! The front seats are so much more comfortable than the front seats on the 2013 Sonatas. Wow! What a difference that makes. You really slide into a very comfortable and soft seat. The 2013 seats feel like sitting on wooden benches compared to these. I read some reviews that said this hybrid model, isn't as smooth as some of its competitors. I've never driven another hybrid, but I will take their word for it. There's definitely a different feeling to it than driving an all gas car. But I didn't feel or notice anything that really stood out as something that would be really annoying. The brakes do feel a little different from the all-gas Sonatas. Especially right at the end of a stop - if you were pressing on them really hard. But it's not a feeling that makes you at all concerned whether or not it's going to stop. It's one of those things that once you get used to it, you won't even notice it anymore. For anyone else who hasn't driven a hybrid yet either, it's a really cool sensation. When you stop the engine really turns off! You have the sensation that the engine has stalled. The car is completely quiet - but everything is still running, like AC and radio and whatever else you might have on. And when the engine turns off, you're not burning an ounce of gas. I found myself for once, wishing for more red lights! The more you sit, the less you burn... just the opposite of a gas car. It amazes me how the air conditioning and everything else runs so seamlessly even when the engine switches off. It also amazed me how quickly and easily it seems that the battery charges back up. It was twitting between 1/4 full and 1/2 full the whole time I drove it. Never having driven a hybrid before, I was under the impression that it would take hours of driving and braking to charge it up. But just applying brakes going down a long hill made the charge indicator jump up about a quarter. Wish my phone battery could charge that fast! When I got home I parked in my garage and left the engine "running", so I could program in my old GPS destinations. This took about 30 minutes. It was such a weird sensation to sit there with the car totally quiet and yet not have to worry about running the battery dead. Every 5 minutes or so the engine would kick in for about a minute, and that would recharge the battery enough to go another 5 minutes with no engine. Very cool. On the gas mileage, I was amazed. I know they say other hybrids get a few more miles to the gallon. But really, I'm just happy to get any more miles to the gallon at this point! I drove from Long Island where the dealership is, into Manhattan. About a 40 minute trip. A little stop and go traffic on the way in, and a lot of stop and go once I reached Manhattan. I was absolutely stunned that by the end of the trip I had averaged 38 miles per gallon! Okay, so if I had gotten a Prius or whatever, I might have averaged 42 mpg. But I'm certainly not complaining. That's pretty close to double what I would have gotten in the 2013 non-hybrid Sonata. The 2013 non-hybrid was doing great to reach 30 mpg on the highway on a long trip. So to get 8 mpg more than that in the city where I do most of my driving - is awesome! The way I see it, this car just cut gas prices from $3.45/gallon to $1.73! I guess a Prius might have cut the price to $1.69. But it's all in the same ballpark. With all that said, given Hyundai's amazing reliability and the way my 2013 held up this winter in all kinds of terrible conditions and with horrible potholes everywhere, buying this car seemed like a really smart choice. And so far... one day and a hundred miles into it - it's looking promising!"

Very Nice Car

By on Saturday, June 14, 2014

"I love this car"

Car is excellent; very roomy and comfortable

By on Friday, June 13, 2014

Pros: "Everything about it is terrific"

Cons: "no cons"

"Everything is easy to read and navigate. My car has every option available including door guards and mud guards, heated seats, rear camera, built in phone and GPS;leather seats;net in trunk;dual roof panoramic views. The trunk is unusually large. Very comfortable to drive. I love this car. If it had a refrigerator and port a potty I would never leave lol"

Good Basic Transportation with a few issues

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Good MPG, Nice Exterior, Good Value"

Cons: "Bad Handling, not the best buil quality,"

"I have owned this car for 4 years now and love the design. It gets really good gas mileage averaging about 28mpg. It's good for basic transportation. However, it does not have the best handling and the engine sounds awful. There's a decent amount of road noise and lots of little squeaks. Not the best build quality but still nice. The interior to me is pretty cheap lots of plastic. It's also had a few electrical issues and I had to replace the battery 3 times already. No major issues. My biggest gripe is Hyundai Service dealerships are awful. They are very slow even with an appointment."

Most reliable car i have ever own

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Good quality cars"

Cons: "Does not handle well in snow."

"Traded 2008 sonata for 2011. The only thing I ever did was change oil on both cars. Best cars I've ever owned."

Fun, reliable sedan at a great value!

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

"I've owned a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited for a little over 2 years now and I love it. It drives smoothly, is fairly quiet, is comfortable, and is safe. It gets decent gas mileage, and also has a turbo and is fun to drive. It has nice styling inside and out and comes with a ton of options, like bluetooth, mp3 player, heated leather seats, and so on. I haven't had any issues with it during the 2 years I have owned it and I'm happy that Hyundai offers the longest, most comprehensive warranty in the industry so I can keep this car for years to come. This car is the best value in mid-size sedans on the market."