2004 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 330 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 4, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

Great car

By on Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Wanted a Camry or Accord, but bought this for price in 05. 4 years and 90,000 later only thing I've replaced are wiper blades, front brakes and tires. Don't like no cup holders in back, and one in front is too small, but when you consider excellent price, reliability, appearance, durability, roominess and warranty, it is a really great car. My wife prefers it to our Toyota. Only negative is that it doesn't hold value well, but I hope to keep mine till 200,000 anyway. Would definately consider another Hyundai, easily as good as Fords I've owned, and better than Chrysler and GM. Toyota and Honda are better made, but Hyundai is an overall better value."

Why pay more for less car

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, Cost, low Maintance, nice ride"

Cons: "Name, but that is changing now adays"

"I had owned 2 used Toyota Camrys' prior to purchasing this vehicle brand new. I could not afford a new Camry at the time, and I am so glad I made the decision to go new. In 9 years and 100K miles I have spent only $4.37 on Maintance on this vehicle above suggest maintance costs. This was for a busted hose. In the 60K-100K milage range on the Camrys' I was spending $1500 a year to keep those cars running great. I was going to trade this car in as my son is turning 16 next month, but my son asked for this car and my wife believe it is safer than anything we can for him at this price range."

Fabulous Car

By on Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pros: "Terrific value"

"I love this car. It has a smooth ride and I have not had one bit of trouble out of it. Even though it's an older car, I am so proud of the design because I think it's the prettiest car on the road. It has every option that was available at that time. It is dependable in every way. The only issue I've had is a flat tire."

Great car

By on Sunday, August 1, 2010

"I've driven this car for nearly 5 years. I have had no problems with this car. It has a powerful engine, a nice interior that seats 4 comfortably and a nice big trunk. Good car for the money."

It just keeps going

By on Friday, February 12, 2010

"I have owned this vehicle since new in 2003. It has been an excellent value. This car now has 182,000 miles and is still going strong. Looks good. Runs good. A very comfortable, quiet ride. I have had only minor issues, which would be expected for the number of miles. I have been so very pleased."

THEE best vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, December 24, 2009

"I bought this car new and drive it daily to work (160 mile round trip). Change oil every 6,000 to 7,500 miles. First spark plugs, first timing belt, first serpentine belt, first new hoses, water pump all replaced at 215,000 miles. At 260,00 miles it still drives like the day I bought it. Still on original rotors (turned three times, original shocks, all electronics still perfect, never a drop of fluid on my garage floor. Never been waxed and finish is still excellent. Cloth upholstery is perfect (even the driver's seat which gets 3 1/2 hours of wear every work day). The only single thing I can say I don't like is the static build up on the cloth material...it zaps you everytime you get out of the car. I have been blessed with this vehicle and I'm going for another 260,000 miles. If this car ever wears out I'm going to find another 2004 to 2005 with low miles to replace it...I'll make sure to get the (non-static) leather interior LX model though."

good car

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"Only 4 minor cons: a bit noisy on road trips; seats could be a bit more padded for long trips; console between seats too short to rest arm on; radio/stereo unit of poor audio quality. I would buy this make and model again. Have owned it for 4 years and it is still performing well. Miles from 2x yearly road trips and local city driving . Excellent acceleration from 0-30 for entering freeway and highway traffic. Very maneuverable. Roomy front seats and leg room. Large trunk. Often mistaken for a Black Mercedes."

great value

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"just hit 160,000 and overall very happy with this car. other than window regulators, lock actuator and a coil pack on the engine its been very reliable. changed the starter and basic maintenace. still gets 24 mpg and has original timing chain. would buy again and v6 motor has great power."

It is the best car!

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

"I am the fourth owner of a 2002 sonata. It is a wonderful vehicle. I have never found any critical malfunctions. After the purchase, I only repaired a power window regulator of the right front door. No leaks on any valve and pipes! Even though it is aged, driving noise in high speed over 70 mph is calm. Air conditioning is also fantastic! A/C is really important in summer in Texas. The flow of air is strong, making the inside cooled very quickly. Good performance!"