2004 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 324 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

Better than any American car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Great price! Superbly dependable!"

Cons: "Headlamps blow often. Stereo not the greatest."

"I bought my Sonata new in 2004. As a single mother I needed something reliable yet I wanted something stylish. Since I purchased it I have had NO that is ZERO problems with it. The body style looks much more expensive than what I gave for it and everyone asked me what it was. I got my Sonata fully loaded with ALL the bells and whistles it came with at the time. No one could believe I gave less than 20K for it. It is now 9 years old and I have yet to have to do any major work to it other than basic maintenance. Brakes, tires, battery, etc..... My Sonata was plenty big enough for myself and my children, even the trunk was big enough to take all of the gear we needed when we would travel out of town to visit family. Now that they are teenagers and basically full grown men it is a bit cramped but it still runs and looks great! As a matter of fact my older son is looking forward to it becoming his when I buy myself a new car (without a doubt another Hyundai) later this fall. On the down side, even with the upgraded sound system the stereo was weak and I did have to replace the head lamps fairly often."

Best I have ever owned, Have 2 no problems

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Great value and comfort, performance"

Cons: "Poor dealer service, No plugin Hybrid"

"I am so happy with the Sonata cars. Only maintenance is tires and brakes at 75,000, 150,000. Timing belt at 150,000. Drives like a roller skate, using Goodyear Triple tread. Mostly highway, 65 to 75 mph, very powerful."

Best Buy for the value

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "price, Comfortable, Reliable"

Cons: "exterior door handel paint, no ABS"

"I bought it new and I have to say it did return the invesment and great ride with it. Maintained every 3000. Door handels paint gone after 4 years."

A great car

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"I bought mine in 2002 having rented one for a week and been very impressed. Since that time (seven years now) the only things I've had to replace (other than the oil) are the battery, two tires, and the CD player. This is a reliable, comfortable, and nice looking car! It handles very well in the snow and in conditions where you'd think you need an SUV. When I bought the car, it was so quiet I would occasionally doubt the engine was running when I came to a stop. Over the years the noise has increased slightly, but I can hardly complain. I truly can't think of anything about this car that I'd improve. I could certainly get a new car now, but why? I don't like the styling of the new Sonatas quite as well and I can't imagine getting luckier than I was with this one."