2003 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 321 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

Better than any American car I have ever owned!

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "Great price! Superbly dependable!"

Cons: "Headlamps blow often. Stereo not the greatest."

"I bought my Sonata new in 2004. As a single mother I needed something reliable yet I wanted something stylish. Since I purchased it I have had NO that is ZERO problems with it. The body style looks much more expensive than what I gave for it and everyone asked me what it was. I got my Sonata fully loaded with ALL the bells and whistles it came with at the time. No one could believe I gave less than 20K for it. It is now 9 years old and I have yet to have to do any major work to it other than basic maintenance. Brakes, tires, battery, etc..... My Sonata was plenty big enough for myself and my children, even the trunk was big enough to take all of the gear we needed when we would travel out of town to visit family. Now that they are teenagers and basically full grown men it is a bit cramped but it still runs and looks great! As a matter of fact my older son is looking forward to it becoming his when I buy myself a new car (without a doubt another Hyundai) later this fall. On the down side, even with the upgraded sound system the stereo was weak and I did have to replace the head lamps fairly often."

Best I have ever owned, Have 2 no problems

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Great value and comfort, performance"

Cons: "Poor dealer service, No plugin Hybrid"

"I am so happy with the Sonata cars. Only maintenance is tires and brakes at 75,000, 150,000. Timing belt at 150,000. Drives like a roller skate, using Goodyear Triple tread. Mostly highway, 65 to 75 mph, very powerful."

Best Buy for the value

By on Monday, May 07, 2012

Pros: "price, Comfortable, Reliable"

Cons: "exterior door handel paint, no ABS"

"I bought it new and I have to say it did return the invesment and great ride with it. Maintained every 3000. Door handels paint gone after 4 years."

A great car

By on Monday, January 26, 2009

"I bought mine in 2002 having rented one for a week and been very impressed. Since that time (seven years now) the only things I've had to replace (other than the oil) are the battery, two tires, and the CD player. This is a reliable, comfortable, and nice looking car! It handles very well in the snow and in conditions where you'd think you need an SUV. When I bought the car, it was so quiet I would occasionally doubt the engine was running when I came to a stop. Over the years the noise has increased slightly, but I can hardly complain. I truly can't think of anything about this car that I'd improve. I could certainly get a new car now, but why? I don't like the styling of the new Sonatas quite as well and I can't imagine getting luckier than I was with this one."

I like this car

By on Sunday, January 17, 2010

"I had my 99 sonata for five years and it runs great. the only problem so far is I changed 2 speed sensors and it is kind of common in Hyundai cars. the mileage on my car is over 200000 miles and it still running great. After I graduate from school, I definitely will buy a new one with the same model."

This Sonata has & is great.

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Veryy dependable and easy to maintain."

Cons: "Is prone to sway in high wind conditions."

"My dad bought it new and willed it to me when he passed. I have maintained the vehicle since he purchased it and it has been fantastic. I had a Viper starting system installed. It was all this vehicle needed to make it perfect. I have replaced the front bumper cover and did some minor repairs and paint to the body. He was 94 and was driving it up until 3 months before passing. He and I have been the only operators."

Hyundai? more like a HONDA! =)

By on Thursday, February 09, 2012

Pros: "Excellent on gas."

Cons: "I couldn't find one in black, instead white."

My beauty

"I've owned this car for 4 years now. only tune ups and oil changes. Car runs like the energizer bunny, literally! Low-cost maintenance, easy to work on and a luxurious elegant look. I love it and would buy another one if anything were to happen to my baby."

My beauty

Just reached 300,000 miles today! Wow, what a car!

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Inexpensive to buy"

Cons: "Can not think of any!"

"Looking to buy another Huyndai"

A Winner By Far

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Purchased this vehicle new in '04. By far it has been the most reliable vehicle. Great quality control on the part of Hyundai. This car has over 160,000 miles and it's still going strong."

Saved Our Life

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Reason: Car accident

Pros: "lasts a long time, very durable, life saver"

Cons: "after a long time handles started peeling"

"We had this car for nearly 10 years. It's been on so many trips with us (NY, Florida, NC, Louisianna) and it was still running great. This was supposed to be my college car until recently when a guy's brakes failed and hit us in an intersection. Our precious car is now totaled, but it really did save our lives. At the speed at which the man was going, we both should have been dead. We both got out of the car with no harm. Haha, we were more devastated about the car than our own health! The car was finally paid off and was perfect. I will always love this car, and if given the opportunity to buy it all over again, I would insist."

Fabulous Car

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "Terrific value"

"I love this car. It has a smooth ride and I have not had one bit of trouble out of it. Even though it's an older car, I am so proud of the design because I think it's the prettiest car on the road. It has every option that was available at that time. It is dependable in every way. The only issue I've had is a flat tire."

Best car overall I have ever owned bar none!

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Low low cost of ownership-nice car."

Cons: "Rear view mirror is too low for taller drivers."

"Have had no issues in 70,000 miles since purchased brand new. Looks and drives like new with the exception of a little parking lot scratch or ding. Interior is like new and there are no issues with car whatsoever."

Most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Fuel efficient and spacious"

Cons: "Not reliable and costly to repair"

"This is a comfortable driving car with an awesome sound system and quiet smooth ride. Although it has cost me $6,500 in repairs and is back in the shop as I write this review. I would not recommend this vehicle unless you need a fuel efficient roomy sedan and you have another vehicle."

Great car

By on Sunday, August 01, 2010

"I've driven this car for nearly 5 years. I have had no problems with this car. It has a powerful engine, a nice interior that seats 4 comfortably and a nice big trunk. Good car for the money."

It just keeps going

By on Friday, February 12, 2010

"I have owned this vehicle since new in 2003. It has been an excellent value. This car now has 182,000 miles and is still going strong. Looks good. Runs good. A very comfortable, quiet ride. I have had only minor issues, which would be expected for the number of miles. I have been so very pleased."

THEE best vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, December 24, 2009

"I bought this car new and drive it daily to work (160 mile round trip). Change oil every 6,000 to 7,500 miles. First spark plugs, first timing belt, first serpentine belt, first new hoses, water pump all replaced at 215,000 miles. At 260,00 miles it still drives like the day I bought it. Still on original rotors (turned three times, original shocks, all electronics still perfect, never a drop of fluid on my garage floor. Never been waxed and finish is still excellent. Cloth upholstery is perfect (even the driver's seat which gets 3 1/2 hours of wear every work day). The only single thing I can say I don't like is the static build up on the cloth material...it zaps you everytime you get out of the car. I have been blessed with this vehicle and I'm going for another 260,000 miles. If this car ever wears out I'm going to find another 2004 to 2005 with low miles to replace it...I'll make sure to get the (non-static) leather interior LX model though."

great value

By on Sunday, July 20, 2008

"just hit 160,000 and overall very happy with this car. other than window regulators, lock actuator and a coil pack on the engine its been very reliable. changed the starter and basic maintenace. still gets 24 mpg and has original timing chain. would buy again and v6 motor has great power."

It is the best car!

By on Monday, August 11, 2014

"I am the fourth owner of a 2002 sonata. It is a wonderful vehicle. I have never found any critical malfunctions. After the purchase, I only repaired a power window regulator of the right front door. No leaks on any valve and pipes! Even though it is aged, driving noise in high speed over 70 mph is calm. Air conditioning is also fantastic! A/C is really important in summer in Texas. The flow of air is strong, making the inside cooled very quickly. Good performance!"

Love my car

By on Saturday, January 19, 2013

Pros: "Smooth driving even after 7 yesrs"

Cons: "Wheel Barron's go bad quickly"

"My mother owned this car brand new for 6 years and myself for 1 we both love this car still to this day.... She said it never compared to any vehicle as has ever owns.... She used to trade in every 2 years but not this one .... And one day she gave it to me as a gift .... I love this car... Yes I've started to have a couple electrical problems recently and the wheel Barron's are needing to be replaced frequently but other than that I could be happier and will hold on to this car for as long as I possibly can!"

Great hand-me-down that hasn't disappointed

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "All around decent car, reliable, somewhat quick"

Cons: "Feels cheap (even for Hyundai)"

"My family purchased this car a few years back as a family car, cheaper on gas than our trucks/SUVs. At the time, we did not know, but the car had been given to the dealership from a rental car company. That being said, sitting around 120k miles, this car has not had a single major issue come up. When we took it in to get a full service done at a Hyundai dealership a few months back, the tech looks at us and says, "Wow, this is one of the cleanest, most well kept cars of this model I have ever seen before in my life." So maybe it's because we have taken care of it, and those before us, but this car is, as I see it, entirely as reliable as one could expect a car to be. I push it a little bit with my "aggressive" driving, and even with that, it's not having issues. The quality of the car, as far as components and whatnot go, is a little disappointing. For a 2.7l V6, you would expect more power from than there is. The steering is great but it definitely floats a bit, which I personally like. The interior, though, looks extremely cheap and just doesn't flow very well. However, it is extremely roomy and the trunk is pretty large for a vehicle that is as lightweight and feels, driving wise, as small as this one is. Inside, it feels bigger than it is. Driving this car is extremely comfortable for me, being a male standing 5'10 weighing 190. The back headroom is a little cramped but overall, nothing to complain about. The real downside here is that, compared to competition, sometimes it is hard to justify this car. It stands at a weird niche in the market that just really hurts it. Plus only having a 4 speed auto REALLY isn't helping it any."

Absolutely LOVE this car

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "Fabulous to drive. Quality cannot be beat!"

Cons: "Paint on outside handles came off."

"Have owned this car since October, 2002. The car is extremely quiet. Just drove a new 2012 Chevrolet and all I heard was the engine--nothing quiet like my Hyundai Sonata. I bought the V6 new with the works and have enjoyed it tremendously. My gas mileage on a trip was 33 mpg. Cannot beat that! Extremely reliable and a dream to drive. Plan on keeping it for another 100,000 miles. The leather still looks great in the car, the stereo still sounds great, sunroof has given me no problem, and all the extras have given me a lot of pleasure. We were so happy with this car we bought my son a new Sonata in 2010 and now my daughter a Sonata in 2012. The only other car I have owned that I truly loved was my 1961 Corvette which I bought in 1961. The only one thing wrong with this car is that the handles paint came off especially on the passengers side which was rarely used. Cannot justify asking my husband for a new car when it still drives like the day I bought it, almost 10 years ago. I would recommend this car to anyone!"

great car for a great price!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

"I love this car... I bought it new in 2004 have over 100,000 and have never had an issue!"

love the car

By on Saturday, November 05, 2011

Pros: "low maintenace and havent had any major repairs!"

Cons: "leg room in the back can get cramped when travelin"

"I've had my car since 2000 and I amjust now looking to buy a new car I,ve never had to replace anything major on it bedsides tires and a battery. Since my car just hit 200,000 miles I will be car shopping for a new sonata!"

best vehicloe ever

By on Monday, May 30, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive. Very reliable. Good price new"

Cons: "no drawbbacks i can think of"

"car bought new with no mechanical problems and only spring and fall maintenance"