2002 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 313 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Great value for the $$$

By on Sunday, January 11, 2009

"I bought the base 2004 Sonota V-6 used in spring of 2005. Using various car websites, I researched this, the Camry and Accord (of course!) For the money spent and the features I got, I would have had to settle for a 2-3 year older Toyota or Honda to get a comparative car. Fully-loaded (including sunroof), this car has everything that the average consumer would want. Everything is still in top-notch shape, but I do tend to take of my vehicles. The only trouble I have had so far is twice I have had the vehicle alarm inadvertently go off for approximately 3 minutes and then shut off. This, however, is probably related to the used-car dealer installed alarm system that they neglected to remove before I drove off the lot. For those people looking for a reliable, well-built vehicle, you cannot go wrong with the Sonota."

Outstanding car!

By on Wednesday, January 07, 2009

"This is an excellent car. I've have my Sonota since 2005 and only been to the shop for routine maintenance and oil changes. If you take care of the car and get your regular oil changes and recommended maintenance changes, it will definitely take care of you. I drive a lot and have about 95,000 miles on it right now. It is also good on gas. I fill up my tank on about $24 or less at about $1.48 a gallon. I highly recommend this car to anyone. It's stylish (the rear of the car resembles a Jaguar and I'm have friends comment on it--others thought I owned a Lexus!) and it is extremely reliable, which is important to anyone regardless of your personal preferences. This is the first car I have owned that is actually built well and reliable--and I've owned just about everything out there (American and Foreign built cars alike!)."

Great Car for the Dollars

By on Monday, January 05, 2009

"I have had the car since it was new and when I bought it I was somewhat skeptal about what to expect. To my supprise this is one of the better vehicles I have ever owned. Very reliable and very well put together. The Sonata have turned me into a Hyundai fan and now is one of the first brands of car I look at when looking to upgrade or buy new. The only bad thing is the "Trade Value" is pretty low, but you also have to consider what you pay for the car to begin with when it is new. Also, at least in our area, when it comes to service the Hyundai dealership treats you like a King or Queen. So a BIG KUDO's and a strong recommendation to anyone looking for a nice car that won't break the bank when you pay for it."

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

2002 Sonota

By on Saturday, January 03, 2009

"Mu husband worked for Toyota when I bought my car. He said I was making a mistake and I should buy a Toyota but that it was my car and I could get what I wanted. A couple of weeks after I bought it, he was sold. The more he drove it, the more he liked it and he was amazed with all the features it had. Then he was telling people he worked with that it had MORE features than the Camry but was HALF the price. I haven't had any problems and have only done basic maintenance. The only down side to this car is the road noise but, with the stereo turned up, it doesn't matter anyway. This car has been reliable and it really scoots. My husband is looking to buy another car and is saying it's going to be a Hyundai."