2001 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 328 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

Best I have ever owned, Have 2 no problems

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Great value and comfort, performance"

Cons: "Poor dealer service, No plugin Hybrid"

"I am so happy with the Sonata cars. Only maintenance is tires and brakes at 75,000, 150,000. Timing belt at 150,000. Drives like a roller skate, using Goodyear Triple tread. Mostly highway, 65 to 75 mph, very powerful."

This Sonata has & is great.

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Veryy dependable and easy to maintain."

Cons: "Is prone to sway in high wind conditions."

"My dad bought it new and willed it to me when he passed. I have maintained the vehicle since he purchased it and it has been fantastic. I had a Viper starting system installed. It was all this vehicle needed to make it perfect. I have replaced the front bumper cover and did some minor repairs and paint to the body. He was 94 and was driving it up until 3 months before passing. He and I have been the only operators."

Just reached 300,000 miles today! Wow, what a car!

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Inexpensive to buy"

Cons: "Can not think of any!"

"Looking to buy another Huyndai"

A Winner By Far

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Purchased this vehicle new in '04. By far it has been the most reliable vehicle. Great quality control on the part of Hyundai. This car has over 160,000 miles and it's still going strong."

Saved Our Life

By on Saturday, April 05, 2014

Reason: Car accident

Pros: "lasts a long time, very durable, life saver"

Cons: "after a long time handles started peeling"

"We had this car for nearly 10 years. It's been on so many trips with us (NY, Florida, NC, Louisianna) and it was still running great. This was supposed to be my college car until recently when a guy's brakes failed and hit us in an intersection. Our precious car is now totaled, but it really did save our lives. At the speed at which the man was going, we both should have been dead. We both got out of the car with no harm. Haha, we were more devastated about the car than our own health! The car was finally paid off and was perfect. I will always love this car, and if given the opportunity to buy it all over again, I would insist."

Fabulous Car

By on Thursday, March 07, 2013

Pros: "Terrific value"

"I love this car. It has a smooth ride and I have not had one bit of trouble out of it. Even though it's an older car, I am so proud of the design because I think it's the prettiest car on the road. It has every option that was available at that time. It is dependable in every way. The only issue I've had is a flat tire."

Great car

By on Sunday, August 01, 2010

"I've driven this car for nearly 5 years. I have had no problems with this car. It has a powerful engine, a nice interior that seats 4 comfortably and a nice big trunk. Good car for the money."

It just keeps going

By on Friday, February 12, 2010

"I have owned this vehicle since new in 2003. It has been an excellent value. This car now has 182,000 miles and is still going strong. Looks good. Runs good. A very comfortable, quiet ride. I have had only minor issues, which would be expected for the number of miles. I have been so very pleased."

THEE best vehicle I have owned

By on Thursday, December 24, 2009

"I bought this car new and drive it daily to work (160 mile round trip). Change oil every 6,000 to 7,500 miles. First spark plugs, first timing belt, first serpentine belt, first new hoses, water pump all replaced at 215,000 miles. At 260,00 miles it still drives like the day I bought it. Still on original rotors (turned three times, original shocks, all electronics still perfect, never a drop of fluid on my garage floor. Never been waxed and finish is still excellent. Cloth upholstery is perfect (even the driver's seat which gets 3 1/2 hours of wear every work day). The only single thing I can say I don't like is the static build up on the cloth material...it zaps you everytime you get out of the car. I have been blessed with this vehicle and I'm going for another 260,000 miles. If this car ever wears out I'm going to find another 2004 to 2005 with low miles to replace it...I'll make sure to get the (non-static) leather interior LX model though."