1999 Hyundai Sonata

Based on 328 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

2002 Sonata GLS (V6)

By on Sunday, January 04, 2009

"Overall, I believe this car has been a good vehicle for me. I bought this GLS back in 2003 for $5500. I have had to repair/replace a few items such as a window regulator ($75), a rear wheel bearing/hub ($110), and a transmission input shaft speed sensor ($55), but other than that it has been a pretty reliable vehicle. I took the car to AutoZone when the check engine light came on and got the codes and researched online to decipher the most likely culprit. I bought all the parts online - except the hub- and I did all the repairs myself and I am not a mechanic. A lot of times, just stepping back and assessing the situation will serve you well in the repair process. The car runs smooth and is very quiet at low rpms. It has good power and acceleration for a small six and averages around 24-25 mpg combined. I like the exterior styling of the 2002 GLS. I call it a poor man's Jaguar :) It corners well (although it has a little more body roll than I like) and has a fairly smooth ride because of the independent rear suspension. The plastic used in the car is of decent to good quality. I have the leather option in my car and while the seats have good support the leather is of only fair to decent quality, but hey, considering the price I paid and what I can still get for this car if I sell it, this car has been a good investment. If I were recommending this car to a prospective buyer I would highly recommend spending a little more and getting the GLS model with the V6."

Best I have ever owned, Have 2 no problems

By on Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Pros: "Great value and comfort, performance"

Cons: "Poor dealer service, No plugin Hybrid"

"I am so happy with the Sonata cars. Only maintenance is tires and brakes at 75,000, 150,000. Timing belt at 150,000. Drives like a roller skate, using Goodyear Triple tread. Mostly highway, 65 to 75 mph, very powerful."

This Sonata has & is great.

By on Thursday, February 20, 2014

Pros: "Veryy dependable and easy to maintain."

Cons: "Is prone to sway in high wind conditions."

"My dad bought it new and willed it to me when he passed. I have maintained the vehicle since he purchased it and it has been fantastic. I had a Viper starting system installed. It was all this vehicle needed to make it perfect. I have replaced the front bumper cover and did some minor repairs and paint to the body. He was 94 and was driving it up until 3 months before passing. He and I have been the only operators."

Just reached 300,000 miles today! Wow, what a car!

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "Inexpensive to buy"

Cons: "Can not think of any!"

"Looking to buy another Huyndai"

A Winner By Far

By on Tuesday, October 11, 2011

"Purchased this vehicle new in '04. By far it has been the most reliable vehicle. Great quality control on the part of Hyundai. This car has over 160,000 miles and it's still going strong."