• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2001 Hyundai Santa Fe

Based on 644 Ratings for the 2001 - 2006 models.

My Beloved Santa Fe

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, trustworthy, decent mileage for an SUV"

Cons: "Can't think of any at the moment"

"I bought this car new in 2005. As it approaches its 10th birthday, I'm reluctantly considering trading it in. Only because I think it's a good idea to have something a little more updated and current. I didn't get this to be a "fun" car, but a functional vehicle that could haul family, friends, and dogs. It has more than exceeded my expectations. This is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Period. With regular maintenance and a killer warranty, the repair bills have been minimal and the reliability over the top. I still trust it for long road trips, but am using it less because I want to eke out every little bit of mileage that I can. Hyundai did great with this one!"

This has been an excellent car with no problems

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Great vehicle, good price and RELIABLE."

Cons: "Leg room a little tight, width wise."

"I bought this car brand new in '06 and use for my business vehicle. Normal maintenance; timing belt, plugs, flushes, etc., No major repairs, just ac compressor, accumulator, condensing coil and radiator, all in the last 100k miles. I don't "granny" drive this vehicle but take care of it. 352k miles, what else is there to say."

Disappointing.

By on Friday, June 06, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, comfortable, nice features"

Cons: "Bad catalytic converters,repairs expensive"

"I bought a 2003 loaded with all the goodies. It started out as a great car--got me through a rough Ohio winter safe and sound. The sound system is awesome with multi disc changer. It is comfortable to drive. The problem came at 151075 miles when the crankshaft sensor went out and the plugs and wires needed replaced. The dealership charged almost $800 for those repairs but the car died soon after. The problem turned out to be clogged catalytic converters--cha ching! This car has 3 catalytic converters and the whole system had to be replace to tune of $1400 for after market parts and non dealer labor. It would have cost $3800 at the dealer. I've owned some real junkers over the years and have NEVER had catalytic converters plug up. Further research revealed that this year of Santa Fe has a tendency for the catalytic converters to fall apart inside and plug up at about 100,000 miles. Had I known this, I never would have bought this car. So buyer beware--if your car starts hesitating intermitantly and losing power while going up hills, that may be a sign that the catalytic converter is falling apart inside and plugging up thus choking the engine. Its' a shame. This would be a nice car. I hope Hyundai has remedied this problem."

Great in snow

By on Saturday, May 31, 2014

"We have loved this vehicle. It is the greatest in the snow. We are looking to buy a new one."

Great Vehicle.

By on Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Pros: "Great car, price."

Cons: "Gas mileage a little lower that what I was told."

"Gas mileage was not good. 15 local and 19-20 hiway. Great in the winter with all wheel drive. Never ever got stuck or slid out of control. Used to pull a small boat around and never knew it was back there. I liked being higer off the road than a car. Good view looking about with mirrors or just out the windows."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Santa Fe near Honolulu. See local deals
See if you qualify for