2014 Hyundai Equus Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $61,393 - $63,682.

10/7.3

9.3

Based on 28 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

The Equus Ultimate Is Just That

By on Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Pros: "Premium luxury options. 100000 mile warranty."

Cons: "I didn't find one sooner"

"2011 Equus is a loaded to the gills luxury car that fools everyone. Keyless go, adaptive cruise' refrigerator and a suede headliner too. You'd have to buy a Benz S600 for $20000- 30000 more and be constantly worried about huge repair bills to match the luxury features found in the Equus. Runs silent and I look forward to just oil changes and peace of mind that I won't be replacing engine mounts like most S Class owners or other big ticket repairs they are known for"

Best car I have ever owned

By on Sunday, September 28, 2014

Pros: "Solid and quick car"

Cons: "No blind spot warning"

"The most quality accessories for the price. Powerful smooth a quiet car!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "price, lexicon speakers, quietness, massage seats"

Cons: "low gas mileage, stearing, brake distance"

"Just traded my Hyundai Azera for it. This equus had 1 owner and 95 000 miles. Car is in such great shape that it still looks and smell new. It has the beige seats which are still in great shape. You just can't tell the car has 100 000 miles. Put almost 5000 miles on it and keep discovering features of the car. I am a student and wanted to try it at the dealership, so I went there without knowing I would be approved for a loan. This is the ultimate, and having no kids, four seats is more than enough, especially since I have a Kia minivan as well. As far as reliability goes, no problem so far and I haven't read a review complaining about it. My Azera that I had for 2.5 years and 25 000 miles never gave me any trouble, I guess it will be the same for the Equus. I love the dynamic cruise control for long trip, else more fun to drive it yourself for shorter commutes. The stearing though is approximative and I wish it had side camera for parking, else it is a great car! Gas mileage is not the best though, I will probably a Tesla 4S after this one."

75% of a Mercedes S-Class for 60% of the price.

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Workmanship, materials, smooth, quiet, luxurious"

Cons: "Mediocre gas mileage, inadequate grasp of the road"

"I've owned seven Mercedes S-Classes. While this 2014 Equus does not give you the feeling of a relationship with the road, it delivers much of what you get in an S-Class. Quality workmanship, quiet and smooth ride, luxurious interior, and plenty of room front and back. I wish Equus offered massaging drive-dynamic front seats, and a power trunk on the Signature model. Paddle shifts would be better than the slow to respond console shifter. The basic warranty is 5/60000, three years of free scheduled maintenance, and free Hyundai high-end loaners. For what you get, the Equus is a bargain. It runs very well on recommended 87-octane fuel. I wish the 15/23 mileage were better. I just returned from a 6100-mile trip to UT, AZ, NV, CO and TX. My Equus handled well on many types of roads (paved, gravel and dirt), 10% grades, speeds and altitudes. User software for nab, audio and info is cumbersome to operate."

Good for its price

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

"At its price its more than I expected. However, the oil consumption of this car is way too much. Doubt if It will last 10 years without major motor repairs. That said, I enjoy driving this car but will never buy another one ."

Best Bang for the Buck

By on Sunday, March 23, 2014

Pros: "Lexicon stereo, quality, acceleration, comfort"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"I bought the 2014 Equus Signature, black with tan interior, just a great car. I shopped the Mercedes S550, BMW 750 and the Lexus 460 before making my decision on this purchase. Realistically there is no comparison, this car rocks the competition. The interior of the Equus is awesome, the seats are exceptionally comfortable, the controls are nicely positioned and the stereo is tremendous. The interior amenities are as they should be in a car of this class. The fit and finish is comparable to the cars costing $40K more. The performance is similar to both the S550 and the BMW 750 in acceleration, the ride is more closely related to the S550. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a car such as the S550, BMW 750 or LS460 to test drive the Equus. You will be impressed."

excellent and beautiful

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "great driver best looker super comfortable"

Cons: "better customer care from dealer needed"

"handsomest of the luxury cars.quiet, fast, comfortable tracks hands off on level roads!S550 has edge in quality feel but those chrome vents and other trim are overdone!also lowest price for Merc is 104,000 plus Equus has better power train and bumper to bumper warranty! Much better Value than all overpriced luxury cars Only fault, Hyundai should set aside Equus and Genesis models for more customer distinction and TLC as Toyota did with Lexus!"

Best Bang for the Buck

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Pros: "Interior quality, Performance, Stereo, Price"

Cons: "Gas mileage"

Superb vehicle compared to the competition in this

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Great value, much improved interior and exterior"

Cons: "Only con (if at all) is Hyundai's emblem"

"Unreal people still throw money to the wind for Audi’s, BMW’s, and Mercedes! I have owned all 3 in my lifetime, A 3 and 5 series BMW. The fishes are just as good, if not better inside the 2014 equus. The Mercedes is better, but at six figures! Same with Audi owned a A8 and yes, the fishes are better, but $50k better, NOT! Truthfully, I just can’t understand how some critics can just write off the equus, but hey…that’s their loss! Only feature that would be nice would be AWD, but I understand the next generation will have this option in 3 years or so. Otherwise, get a good set of studded winter tires and let her rip!!!"

Have owned 30 cars in my life and this is the best

By on Friday, October 25, 2013

Pros: "Very nice electric hydraulic steering. Great value"

Cons: "MPG getting 20-24 at present"

"Looked at all the new cars for 2014, BMW, Audi, MB etc. The 2014 Equus gave me all the options, with out the confusing extras penny and dime pricing of the big name brands. Looked at the interior refinements and the the clean touches to the exterior that the 2014 Equus had over the 13."

Great Car for the money

By on Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Pros: "Great Price, Amazing Sound System,"

Cons: "No AWD option, No Deisel engine option"

"First of all my budget to purchase a new luxury car was $70,000 or less. So when I compared what I could get for the price I looked at the Equus Ultimate, Audi A6, BMW 5 series etc. I drove the Equus first and was really impressed. I thought that I would have similar impressions from the other luxury brands but there was no comparison. The Equus won out in all areas. I figured out the issue. I wanted a car that compared to the Audi A8, Lexus LS etc. but didn't have the budget to even consider those models. To top it off I actually liked the Equus more than the Lexus LS after test driving both cars. Also, I like having a car that wasn't very common. I get looks all the time from other luxury car owners trying to figure out what my car is:) I would definitely recommend this vehicle if you are looking for value and don't care if your car has a luxury label on it."

Best car value regardless of price

By on Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pros: "Extremely comfortable and quiet. Fine details."

Cons: "Hyundai emblem on deck lid. Color choices."

"I am a retired new and used car dealer with about 40 years in the business. I bought this car for my wife. She only drives about 10,000 miles a year so we keep her cars until they are about 10 years old. Her past cars were a Mercedes 420SEL that was a great car that loved to visit the Mercedes dealership ($$). She has then had two different Infiniti Q45's. The first one a gen 2 was a really great car. The generation 3 looked great was a good car; but, had lots of road noise. In late summer of 2012 we test drove a new Equus but wanted to wait for a 2013. During the wait we found out that the 2014 was going to recieve a mid-model refresh; so, we waited. We took delivery of a black Signature 2014 on August 16th, 2013. The car in my opinion is much improved over the earlier models. The things that I didn't like on the 2012 I drove have been corrected. The interior is much nicer. Also, the dash has a much higher quality look and the feel of the swithes etc. is much better. Also, the suspension feels much better. The new turbine wheels in my opinion add a lot to the looks of the car also. The car drives wonderful.. It is the quietest car we have ever owned and when at idle you can't tell if the engine is running or not. The car drives well at any speed. The ride is excellent. The car has way to much stuff on it for my wife and I; but, that is the only way it comes. The short comings are: The Hyundai badge on the deck lid. Get rid of it.. I did. They have a proper Equus badge in their available from their parts department. $13 on E-bay. Apparanty in some countries they put this badge on at the factory.. You don't see a Lexus with a Toyota badge, or an Infiniti with a Nissan badge, or an Acura with a Honda badge. Also there are very limited choices available as to the exterior or interior colors available. The available white interior looks nice now; but, how will it look in a couple of years. The brown interior is hideous so that pretty well only leaves the black interior. (It is actually a very pretty dark grey).. We wanted a Pearl White car but because Pearl White was only available with the Ivory (white) interior or the hideous brown interior; we got a metallic black car. The fit and finish on this car is first class. You can really tell the quality of a car by looking at the door jambs and trunk areas. This is where cheap cars really look cheap. The car will take a little getting use to. The Q45 we traded in was a 2003 model but it was light years behind the sophistication of this car. The radio is fabulous. The reclining rear seats with all that legroom will blow your guest away. There is so much about this car I like that I could go on and on. The 10 year 100,000 warranty is nice. We paid an additional fee to make this warranty a zero deductible 10 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. A friend of mine just sold his Nissan Dealership. I told him he ought to look at getting a Hyundai Dealership. He told me that he had a friend with a Hyundai Dealership. His friend told him that the drawback to having a Hyundai Dealership was that they didn't have very much service business. The cars rarely broke. Service is what pays the overhead. My brother who lives in Florida has a wife and two children. They all drive Hyundais."

Simply the nicest car I have ever owned

By on Friday, May 31, 2013

Pros: "Quality,features, value, poweful engine"

Cons: "No softclose doors, no massage in front passenger"

"I have owned Audis, BMWs and several other brands. I intended to buy an Audi A8 or BMW 7, but the Hyundai value was simply too good to pass. Yes there are some features on the other cars that I wanted but they were not worth $40K more. The car is very comfortable and wonderful to drive. It has a powerful engine and drives so smoothly. Over the past three years, I have become a huge fan of Hyundai but would never have considered a luxury car. I have bought two Sonats's for my children and they are exceptional. That experience led to me considering the Equus. It is the best buying decision I have ever made on a car."

Shockingly great car - best i've ever owned

By on Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pros: "Fast, Fun, Comfortable, amazing price"

Cons: "MPG, No paddle shifters, very big"

"Absolutely amazed by my Hyundai. The comfort and quality of the interior rivals the best of the european super luxuries - we have a mercedes as well, and the inside of my equus is quite a bit nicer. Performance is outstanding. Fastest car i've ever owned. It handles so well I often don't realize how fast im going. I've caught my self going over 100 by mistake a number of times - just by passing on the freeway! while 0-60 is in 5s, it's the 70-100 number thats surprising. I'm not kidding, in the time it takes to pass a car on the freeway, I've caught the car lowering (yes, it lowers at 100mph). I've owned it for a year, and the concierge service has been fantastic. it's been in twice fro oil changes - both times it was picked up at my office, and returned detailed. Dynamics "only" got a 9 out of 10 for a few nit picks. There is a bit of a lag in the initial kick when accelerating. I've learned to adjust, and the manual mode on the 8-speed trasmission helps. No paddle shifters! Wah. I know, its a GT not a sports coupe, but everyone else has them! :-) I'd love to see more control of the suspension programs - and the ability to adjust would be great. Still love the car, one of my favorite of all time."

Love this car!

By on Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Pros: "Luxury car, more affordably priced"

"My Equus is a great ride, super powerful, and handles well for its weight and size. It has all the luxury of BMW or Lexus for a price that's considerably less. Eye catching exterior, and the interior is well appointed, spacious, and extremely comfortable. I can't think of anything it lacks that I might need. Only minor issue is with the trunk occasionally stopping midway up. Driving this car makes me feel good, and when I get to where I'm going, I can't wait to go again."

Best deal on a luxury car - bar none

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "Drive, seating, luxury features"

Cons: "No active passenger seat, AWD"

"Debated on BMW 7 series and Audi A8. I through out the Lexus almost immediately - did not like the seating. The BMW and Audi have some fantastic features not found on the Equus but they were nearly 50% more. The Equus is incredibly comfortable, loaded with features, extremely powerful engine, and more."

More bang for the buck

By on Sunday, September 16, 2012

Pros: "The list is too long to fit in the space provided"

"I traded a 2011 BMW 535i for the Ultimate.I was in the dealership to help a daughter trade for a Sonata and walked out with both the Sonata and the EQUUS.The salesman let me take a test drive while waiting on the paperwork to be completed on my daughter's new Sonata. It made the BMW, which I thought was a great car,seem very over priced. I have had the EQUUS now for a month and have no regrets.It is smooth, quiet and powerful. One could not ask for more in a luxury car. It has features only to be found in cars in the $75,000 and up price range."

Beware of Equus customer service

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

"Just got my Equus 8/17/12. Traffic part of navigation was not working out the door. Called Sirius customer service, who told me they could not fix it, and that in 7-10 business days, someone would call me to address the issue! Next, I called the Equus service line. Was told by the first agent, Kristin, this was not Hyundai's problem, nothing they could do! I spoke to supervisor Mike, who told me basically the same thing. Three days later, I called Hyundai again, supervisor Maryanne said the same thing-not Hyundai's problem. Actually Maryanne spent more time making excuses for Sirius than anything. She told me I should wait to hear back from Sirius. When I pressed her on whether she thought Sirius' response to me of 7-10 business days to get a call back was reasonable, she told me she could not say, as she was not an expert in that product! I expect Hyundai to stand behind their product, especially the Equus. Instead, every person I spoke with at Hyundai has immediately passed the buck to Sirius and refused to help. I would expect them to replace the unit or lean heavily on Sirius to fix this timely. No such luck and no one at Hyundai seems to care."

Good value for the price

By on Saturday, July 28, 2012

"I came in for an oil change and left with a 2011 Equus. Took me a week to check out reviews and cost of normal stuff after the sale and to find out the value of it and my old Hyundai Santa Fe Limited with 105,000 miles and working as though it only had 5,ooo miles on it. I had looked at the Genesis before and could not come to spending that much money. Then i rode the Equus and was impressed. Good communication from the service department of service costs and good information from the sales person. Love this car and hope to keep it for 200,000 miles or more. Plan to use it to travel on road trips four times a year. Love the no noise as I travel and all the extras that come standard with it. I love the shades in the rear and the cool seats up front. It is well worth the extra money. If this car lasts like my Santa Fe I will have a good bargin for the dollars that i spent. The dealership helped to sell me on this car and the service that they provide. My only draw back is the black interior and the low gas milage and the different set of tires for the front and back. i did average over 27 miles on my trip to the lake driving the speed limit or a little below it."

Great car !

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, very quiet, joy to drive"

Cons: "no all-wheel drive"

"Just bought it a month ago and I already have 2000 miles on it. Very smooth and comfortable ride. I was apprehensive with a rear-wheel in Chicago winter (not much of a winter this year) but with snow tires on it, have had no issues driving in the one snowstorm that we had."

Excellent Value!

By on Thursday, January 05, 2012

Pros: "Outstanding ride, unbelievable sound system"

Cons: "Minor sunroof leak and floor vents not working."

"Purchased a 2011 Black on Black Ultimate and absolutely love this vehicle. Tremendous ride, high quality fit and finish and just a solid car all the way around. Not a big fan of the Hyundai dealership experience, and I think they need to step it up a notch if they are going to be successful in this market. I love to drive this car, it is hard to believe how quiet it is when driving! The ride is silky smooth and when in sport mode there is good feel to the road. The comfort of the seats has to be the best i have ever had (Lexus, Acura Jaguar, Lincoln previously). It was very easy to set up my phone for bluetooth and the overall controls are very easy to use. Nav system seems to work very well. I think the car looks great on the exterior and I have had a number of people ask me about the car at different places - it is a great vehicle! The only wo issues so far has been a leak in the sunroof and the air vents for the floor were not working. In the shop now getting fixed. We will see if this car wil hold up over time."

ENJOYED IT!!!!!!

By on Thursday, September 29, 2011

I want this car

Pros: "Ride, Quite, Excellent"

Cons: "NO AWD!!!!!!!!!! TOO MUCH PLAY IN STEERING"

"I own a 2012 Genesis 3.8, and had this as a Loaner, I am ready to trade my Genesis in after 1 month to get this vehicle, enough said..."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"I have owned this car for 3 mos. Drove it from Va. to Orlando and back without any issues. Very comfortable and lots of features to enhance the ride and safety on the road."

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2011