• 2014 Compact Car Buyer's Guide

2014 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,059 - $18,524.

10/6.9

7.9

Based on 269 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

7.5/10

Great economy car

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Great value, tons of features, very comfortable"

Cons: "Rear suspension, lack of power."

"I leased this vehicle in November of 2013. I had no intensions of doing so, but I happened to beat the dealership for my wife's 2010 Elantra. I test drove the GT just to pass the time and ended up loving it. I drove it home that night. While the car is good, I started noticing little things about it after having it for a few weeks. My two biggest complaints are the power and the rear suspension. This car is severely lacking in power. It needs another 30 or so HP to get it going (the 2014 has that with the new 2 liter engine). The rear suspension likes to float over bumps when you go around turns. It doesn't mater if you're doing 5mph or 50mph, you feel like you're back end is going to kick out. There is a fix for this, but honestly I don't feel like buying paying $100 for something Hyundai should fix for free. The fix if buying KYB shocks for the rear. It's technically not a fix though, it's just a bandage. The big problem is Hyundai decided not to use independent rear suspension so anything that happens to one rear wheel drastically effects the other. Everything else about this car has been great. I opted to get the manual transmission and I love the mechanical feel of the shifter and clutch. I get about 26mpg in the city and with premium fuel I got 38mpg on the highway, with regular it dropped down to 34mpg. Over all it's a good car. Hyundai fixed the power problem with the 2014 so the final thing to really make this car great would be to go with an independent rear end, but that wont happen."

Looks snazzy but not happy with

By on Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Pros: "Love the sun/moon roof. Stereo is excellent."

Cons: "Cup holders odd sizes, no slots for toll change"

"Seating is too low so poor view of traffic and surroundings. Not enough leg room=kneecaps too close to dashboard because have short legs. Not very maneuverable. Low profile tires are hard to get used to different handling in different situations. Gas mileage not as good as advertised even though tried different types of gas & driving techniques.Seat belt tightens up too tight when barely hit the brakes. Car stalls out a stop signs and red lights.2 door not practical for hauling people/things around.Air conditioner works great but affects car performance too much.Vehicle has already devalued greatly in a short period of time.Heated seats are a great feature."

Great vehicle for the price

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "design, layout, gas mileage"

Cons: "seats could be more comfortable"

"I got the 2014 elantra SE with the preferred package. The layout and features are fantastic. It has touch screen that responds very nicely. It handles well and I'm getting 36-39mpg on the highway. I haven't had the car for a year yet, so I'm not sure how it will handle in winter. But, so far everything is great. I love the look and the price I got it for! Worth the purchase!"

Brand New LEMON. So many problems so little miles

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

"The car had problems since the first week I drove it. It handled well in the snow with the manual overdrive, however, good luck trying to drive more than 25 mph and hitting a bump in the road. *Every time that happens the car would jolt over into the other lane. VERY scary! *I have had to buy 2 new tires on the same front left side of the car in under 6000 miles! The balance of the car is terrible and they refused to cover the first one at 3000 miles. *My rear window defroster interfered with my FM radio an issue unheard of on "new" cars. *I average 13 MILES PER GALLON! 13!!! What a shame this car sounded great until you buy it and realized everyone else fell for the same trick!"

Junk car.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "junk"

Cons: "junk"

"So many defects. Paint ,plastic ,doors and trunk not lined up. My car start leak after 1000 miles. Warranties its fiction .You going to a Diller to fix under warranties but They found the reason don't do it."

can not wait to sell.

By on Sunday, July 13, 2014

Pros: "lots of room. front and back."

Cons: "lousy blue tooth and gas mileage. dealership stink"

"The blue tooth system in this model is awful. I t has never work properly from the 6th month on. would not recommend this car because of this reason and the gas mileage has dropped from 30 to 25 miles to the gallon. very disgusting. for these 2 reason I have decided to sell."

Overpriced for quality and range

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "Nice interior and good turning radius"

Cons: "Cheaply made, lousy mileage"

"Pros: Interior is comfortable, looks nice, and controls are arranged well. Handles nicely, good turning radius. It's roomier that one would expect in a small car. Infant car seat fits very easily and securely. Climate control is slow but works OK once it's at the right temperature. Cons: Bought the car at 30,000 miles. Transmission failed at 36,000. Rough ride when pavement is not perfectly smooth. Mileage is very low for a new, small car--25.5 mpg. Pick-up is very slow, especially at lower speeds (5 to 35 mph), so in the hilly area I live, a lot of gas is wasted just getting started. I think the difficulty in cooling the interior and need to have the AC high for a long period may also cut into the mileage. In Hyundai forums, the people who get good mileage live in flat, open areas with straight highways. The body is very cheaply constructed. The price seems reasonable, but the product is cheaply made, so it's really overpriced for what you get. Hyundai dealerships are few and far between, so getting the car fixed can be a hassle. It also takes a long time to get parts; my transmission took six days to replace. I've heard the parts have to come from Korea."

A Good Choice

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

"I've owned this car for one year and I really like it. The exterior of the vehicle looks great - very sporty and shines beautifully when waxed. The interior is so-so. You can tell Hyundai skimped on the interior due to the cheap plastic it's made from. It has modern features such as bluetooth compatibility, SiriusXM radio and USB ports. There's a lot of room even though the car looks small. My brother is 6'3 and had no issues sitting comfortably. Mileage is about 28 city and 32 highway. I have a bit of a lead foot so it could be higher. There are blind spots on the left and right corners of the driver's side windshield which are pretty severe. Also the front windshield and back window fogs up very easily. In the winter I had to keep the defroster on all the time. Even in the summer I found myself turning it on early in the morning. The handling is responsive and pickup is more than enough for passing on the highway. The car gets pushed around easily, however. And any tiny bump in the road jerks the car around. The engine constantly makes a ticking noise. I've noticed this on all the Hyundai models I've driven. Despite its flaws this car has good gas mileage, looks great and is fun to drive around."

Love it

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Great MPG"

Cons: "Not all windows are auto"

"Comfortable to drive and gets awesome gas mileage. People are always surprised at how big the trunk is. I love my car. Going to keep it for a long time!"

good mileage, period.

By on Friday, June 27, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage."

Cons: "Terrible blind spots and rear view for backing up."

"Good car, great gas mileage. Front pillar has disgusting blind spot. Rear quarter blind spot the same. Could use back-up camera. Can't see to back up."

Not too shabby!

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Pros: "Gas mileage, pep"

Cons: "Road noise? Can't really think of any.."

"This is the first car I've ever had payments on. I bought it used with 36k (mostly highway) about 3 months ago and I am still so happy with it. I've been used to big rugged SUVs with 13mpg so this was a huge change. The gas mileage isn't quite as high as what I have read, but considering I fill up HALF as much and the cost is significantly less, I am not making a fuss. The road noise is a bit more than I'm used to, since I am closer to the ground.. But again, I'm not making a fuss. My main concern was price and gas mileage and this car has kept me very happy. I'm 5'10" but surprisingly I don't feel cramped in this car. I've seen some pretty nasty reviews on this car, but maybe I'm just easy to please and laid back, but I have been very happy with this purchase."

Great handling car with super gas mileage

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "gas mileage, comfy seat, agile steering"

Cons: "non found as yet"

"Bought new 2013 and now have 21000 miles on it. Haven't down anything to it except oil changes. Get 38 to 40mpg on the highway. Steady city driving brings it down to 29+ on occasion. I am 6'1" and the driver's seat fits like a glove. Most comfortable seat I have ever experienced. Car is very nimble during rush over traffic in Las Vegas. Has pretty good pick-up speed for a 4 cal. No complaints and will keep this gas sipper for a long time. I can't believe the negative reviews I am reading."

Bad in Snow

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "value for the $, lots of conveniences"

Cons: "poor winter traction, road noise, underpowered"

"I leased this vehicle & its just ok. It is really bad in the snow/winter. My tires spin constantly w/no traction & am unable to make it up my driveway if there is more than a dusting of snow. Overall, nicely equipped car for the money. The car is underpowered & passing ability stinks. Will probably switch to Subaru for AWD or a better front wheel drive option."

2014 Elantra SE, manual transmission

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "Fun, roomy, zoomy."

Cons: "Dead pedal"

Just before driving her home for the first time.

"I purchased this vehicle new. Compared to 3 others in its class but this one had everything I wanted at a great price. Comparable leg room to 2014 Corolla, larger than the others - Mazda3 and Dart. Has about the same amount of zoom as the Mazda, but roomier. I commute almost 80 miles per day and am comfortable the entire time. The ONLY thing that I have found that could be improved upon is the dead pedal, it just isn't tall enough for a size 12 men's. The hard rear seatbacks are great for protecting from kid's feet. I love driving a manual again! Averaging 38 mpg."

Just before driving her home for the first time.

Buyer Beware

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

I don't own this car

Pros: "good value, sporty exterior, nice dash lights"

Cons: "extremely uncomfortable, no tight steering"

"I bought this car less than a month ago and already have buyer's remorse. It was my first time buying a car so I have learned a lot about the whole car buying process. DO NOT allow the salesman in the test drive. Ask if you can take the car home for atleast a weekend. That way you will know if you really can drive this car. This is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven. I am 5'2 and have never had a problem wit a car seat. The seat juts out and hits my knees at a very painful angle. I am literally in pain if I drove over 30 minutes. There really isn't a place to rest your arms if you are short like me. Also, the windows have started irriating me. They come up pretty high and I do not feel like I have a good view around me. This might be a moot point if you are taller than me, but be advised if you are on the shorter side. I drove a Maxima for almost 12 years and realize this is a superior car. I should have just stuck with Nissan."

mediocre at best

By on Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Pros: "looks cute"

Cons: "see above. too many to list in 50 char or less."

"First, the car is cute and has some get up and go when I need to get up and go. I like the heated seats in front and back. I don't like that I have to turn on recycled air EVERY TIME I turn off the heater/air conditioner. If you don't turn on recycled air, the air continues to blow, even with the fan in the off position. Outside air is apparently the default position and I have to change it EVERY TIME I turn the car off and back on. I don't like that I can't run the defroster without using outside air, again, when you turn off the blower, it continues to blow until you hit the recycled air button, which is a driving distraction because you have to look down to do it. This is not a good thing while driving in heavy traffic, but neither is the air continuously blowing and drying out my eyes. the "leather" and I use this term loosely, is peeling on the driver's seat. It doesn't seem like real leather would have a layer that would peel off like cheap vinyl. The car has WAY too many blind spots. You can't see cars that are to the right or left of you if they are slightly ahead or behind you. You can't see curbs to navigate them. I have to roll the window down and physically stick my head out the window to make sure I'm not going to hit a curb, and it's very important not to hit the curbs...more about that in a moment. I have to open the door and look to make sure I'm within the lines when I'm parking in a parking lot. The seat is set low, and it has a higher setting, but at the higher setting, if I hit even the slightest bump I hit my head on the roof. I'm only 5'9" so it's not like I'm a hugely tall person that is used to hitting their head on the roof of a car. The car does not come with a spare tire, not even a donut, nor does it come with a road hazard warranty. It comes with a “tire inflation kit” which I couldn’t figure out how to use as there are no instructions. This is why it is so important to roll down the window and watch to make sure you don’t hit the curb, because since the tires are so low-profile, they pop very easily. I had to replace 3 tires within a month of purchasing the car. 2 of them popped the steel and made huge bubbles that could lead to a blowout at the same time when I hit a pothole that I couldn’t see because the blind spots are so bad. I took the car to the dealership and they told me I would have to buy 2 new tires because there was no road hazard warranty. I then took the car to a tire shop (I wish I could mention names here because they were awesome). They called the manufacturer, who authorized them to sell me 2 tires for the price of one and warranty all four tires. (They are the ones that informed me that I had no spare tire, btw) This came in handy a couple weeks later when I hit a curb while going around a corner (again, blind spot, on the passenger side) and had a blowout. Luckily my insurance company pays for towing, because I had to have the car towed to the same tire shop and they replaced the tire for free this time. I would love to get rid of this car but I am upside down on it as the Hyundai has terrible resale value. The car has low mileage and runs great, but even in excellent condition with low mileage, after less than 2 years, the car has depreciated about $8000. Maybe it might not even be considered excellent condition since the "leather" is peeling on the seat. Overall, I am VERY unhappy with this car, and have been making extra principal payments on it so I can trade it in ASAP."

Love this car

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Bought it right out of the showroom !

"The quality and price of this car is unbeatable. The roominess and comfort of a sedan, yet still sporty. The gas mileage is excellent and is very easy to drive. The trunk is very roomy and the back seats fold down too. Fit an 8 ft ladder with no problem!"

Bought it right out of the showroom !

it is a compact sedan .save on gas

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "4 disc brakes,Bluetooth,design, and xm radio free."

Cons: "no cons ,because I very happy w my purchase."

"I plenty happy w my hyundai elantra 2013 ,most of you complain that is a bad car.You should test drive any car or brand before you buying or leasing.I love my car I am getting 44 miles per galon,quiet ,and spacious."

This is 2nd Hyundai I purchased

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Handles easy"

Cons: "Did not come with back up camera or spare tire"

"For the money I paid the value and quality is exceptional. I owned many cars through the years , and the Hyundai elantra comes out on top for me."

Not bad for the money

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

"one years time--lost $5000 in value."

2nd Hyundai Elantra

By on Thursday, May 08, 2014

Pros: "design, price, and features"

Cons: "Acceleration is adequate but not exciting"

"Looked at the Mazda 3, Subaru Impreza and the Elantra. Choice came down to design, value, features, and gas mileage. Depending on which review Elantra generally was in top 3 expert reviews. Highs were design, value/features but in order to get better gas mileage the smaller 1.8L engine pick-up is decent but does not have the pep/fun of the previous generation Elantra 2.0L engine. Living in Northeast the GLS version cloth heated seats are unique and delightful, bluetooth connectivity a plus. 8,000 miles in and still very pleased. Giving all the above factors and the $2,000 cost savings vs like competitors cars was the final difference maker."

Cheap for a reason, i wish i could give zero

By on Monday, May 05, 2014

Pros: "car price and fuel efficiency"

Cons: "Everything else"

"I thought it's a decent car, i did my quick review ( big mistake that i didn't do more detailed research) before buying. Every time i start the car, i just wish I didn't rush to the mistake of buying this car. .. well, i guess i'm paying the price for not doing enough attention to the performance details. this car is great if you 1. Never pass someone while driving on freeways 2. go at least 10mph below the speed limit 3. No uphill on the route 4. driving comfort is not important. all you need is A vehicle to take from point A to point B"

Surprised to get this much car so little.

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Super reliable car that handles well."

Cons: "No spare tire."

"I was looking for a basic auto that was good on gas. What I purchased is great on gas, handles like an expensive German car. I get about 42-44 mpg on the road and 25-30 in the city (live in NYC so traffic can be a challenge on a daily basis). More power than I expected and the car doesn't look like an "economy" model. The interior is much greater than the car's size would indicate. My overall rating for this car would be 9.8 out of 10."

A disgrace that should'nt be allowed to be sold

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Will be gotten rid of soon"

Cons: "everything- navigation is often wrong or confused."

"We purchased this vehicle after hurricane sandy here in the NYC area and decided to try a new Hyundai Elantra. Unfortunately we did not do enough research and later found that the car was designed for someone 5-4 or less, if you are above that expect to bang your head everytime you get in the car. The rear suspension was also defective need warranty work by the dealer which turned out to be a waste of time as the problem persists. The car eats tires due to the defective rear suspension. There is a ridiculously small amount of room in the back seats. The alleged leather seats are sticky to the point if you move around in the seat you will guarantee a wedgie. Overall a disgrace that should not be allowed to be sold here and the without a doubt last Hyundai to ever be allowed in my driveway."

Seduced by a pretty face - really "cheap" car

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "Styling"

Cons: "Instability, cheap materials"

"Stylish? Yes. Comfortable? Not after driving 3+ hours - the driver's seat offers no support in the lower cushion. Driving Dynamics? This 5-door has no directional stability @ highway speeds, combine w/ the Novocained steering and you are exhausted after an hour or so at highway speeds. Value? It is a cheap car - look at the lack of quality materials (e.g., the carpeting) and you'll see how Hyundai packs in so many "features" at a relatively low price point. Recommend to a friend? Only if I didn't want him/her for long."

See if you qualify for