2014 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $18,788 - $19,345.

10/6.9

8.0

Based on 332 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

7.6/10

Great car - only wish I'd see more of them!

By on Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pros: "Build, warranty, features"

Cons: "Boot (trunk) hinges, fuel economy, limited stock"

"Here in Australia they come from Korea and a full size spare is standard. Ours is 2 months/2000 km and we love it. All driving jobs are short and often in peak hour, so we get only 12 l per 100 km.  I read somewhere that it should improve after 10,000 km.  I'd love to take it on a long run out West.   Only negs would be no auto up drivers window, boot hinges, no rear wiper, A-pillars obstructing front-side view, self-locking doors that the dealer can't deactivate. I too agree that steering could be better, so would less true noise. Otherwise it's all good (so far).  I only wish I'd see more of them on the road. (would satisfy 'herding instinct')"

Downsized from a minivan!

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive..expensive looking interior/exterior!"

Cons: "No spare! steering a bit sensitive/not too bad..."

"After 11 yrs of driving a minivan (Honda Odyssey)I decided to downsize to a more "gas efficient" yet spacious car, for my two kids and I. Also, I wanted a smaller car for my daughter to learn to drive on. I absolutely LOVE this car! Gorgeous on the inside AND outside! Being 5ft2, this definitely "fits" me better than a van but,easily sits taller people as well. (my 6ft 2 friend sat in it as well).. Trunk space is large enough for daughters golf clubs, too! Filling up tank for $34.00 is MUCH better than $68.00 on the van, for sure!! Gas mileage is great, so far...Had the car only a week..hopefully it's as good as it states? After reading some of the comments, a bit skeptical, BUT all in all, it's a beautiful car!! :)"

great car

By on Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"great car for the price, I owned three sonotas before this elantra and have given up nothing and gained mileage and extras for less then the standard sonota, only fault I SEE IS NO SPARE TIRE come on guys whats that cost / i'LL PAY FOR IT. I HAD A BLOW OUT AND HAD TO BE TOWED.the can of air and pump won't do. next time the dealer throws in a spare or I walk. don't get me wrong I love the car but that was a waste of my day."

its a pretty decent car

By on Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Price, Reliability, Warrenty"

Cons: "Drivability, Fit and Finish, Power, Ride"

"The car is pretty good. there isnt much to complain about the car. the gas mileage is very good, excellent in fact but i feel the car could have more drivability and power. the steering is loose and doesnt provide much feedback. and i wish the car had more power the 1.8 liter engine take alot of time to get up to speed and can hesitate and accidently build up power you never asked for. but overall it is a great car and i love it and under 25,000 dollar for the fully loaded model in my opinion it is a best buy."

MPG Mileage is Marketing Hype

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful interior design, nice exterior styling"

Cons: "Poor MPG, premium price, poor value retention"

"I did research and took my time before deciding to purchase an Elantra instead of a Prius. Supply was short and all the dealers in a hundred mile radius were asking premium prices for the Elantra in the fall of 2011. So I crunched the numbers again and still with the MPG of 29/40, I couldn't see how I could go wrong. Unfortunately, the car does not deliver anywhere near the expected 35 MPG in mixed driving. I know all the tricks for getting optimal gas mileage and know its "sweet spot." I also use quality gas, the same pump, and take the number of gallons in as soon as the pump clicks off. I calculate the actual MPG myself because the digital guage is a bad joke. It has shown an MPG as high as 80 around the city and as low as 20 cruising at 60MPH on the highway. I have even watched it change while not moving. Of course the dealer can find nothing wrong with it and they have every excuse in the book for the poor MPG including weather, or that the car is not broken in, but as the weather has gotten warm and I have put more miles on the car, the mileage has gone down to 26MPG in mixed driving. To add insult to injury, the car already needs new shocks in the back due to a design problem that causes an annoying and dangerous clunck at the slightest bump or dip in the road, and the foam shifted in the driver's seat within the first two weeks of owning the car, while the heater spewed little greasy specks on the new upholstery. A check of the cabin filter showed nothing to account for this, and since this check, there is now an unpleasant musty smell whenever I use the blower. The vehicle that Elantra replaced was a heavier van with over 120,000 miles on it and it got only slightly less mixed MPG, and the upholstery still looked good! Hyundai needs to be held accountable for it smarketing claim of "40MPG never looked so good." Other drivers are getting better mileage so Hyundai needs to take responsibility to find out why some Elantras are not preforming, starting with the dash guages. Their dealers seem to be clueless."