2013 Hyundai Elantra Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $16,826 - $17,315.

8.0

Based on 258 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

7.5/10

MPG Mileage is Marketing Hype

By on Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Pros: "Beautiful interior design, nice exterior styling"

Cons: "Poor MPG, premium price, poor value retention"

"I did research and took my time before deciding to purchase an Elantra instead of a Prius. Supply was short and all the dealers in a hundred mile radius were asking premium prices for the Elantra in the fall of 2011. So I crunched the numbers again and still with the MPG of 29/40, I couldn't see how I could go wrong. Unfortunately, the car does not deliver anywhere near the expected 35 MPG in mixed driving. I know all the tricks for getting optimal gas mileage and know its "sweet spot." I also use quality gas, the same pump, and take the number of gallons in as soon as the pump clicks off. I calculate the actual MPG myself because the digital guage is a bad joke. It has shown an MPG as high as 80 around the city and as low as 20 cruising at 60MPH on the highway. I have even watched it change while not moving. Of course the dealer can find nothing wrong with it and they have every excuse in the book for the poor MPG including weather, or that the car is not broken in, but as the weather has gotten warm and I have put more miles on the car, the mileage has gone down to 26MPG in mixed driving. To add insult to injury, the car already needs new shocks in the back due to a design problem that causes an annoying and dangerous clunck at the slightest bump or dip in the road, and the foam shifted in the driver's seat within the first two weeks of owning the car, while the heater spewed little greasy specks on the new upholstery. A check of the cabin filter showed nothing to account for this, and since this check, there is now an unpleasant musty smell whenever I use the blower. The vehicle that Elantra replaced was a heavier van with over 120,000 miles on it and it got only slightly less mixed MPG, and the upholstery still looked good! Hyundai needs to be held accountable for it smarketing claim of "40MPG never looked so good." Other drivers are getting better mileage so Hyundai needs to take responsibility to find out why some Elantras are not preforming, starting with the dash guages. Their dealers seem to be clueless."

"Swapped my Fiesta" for an Elantra

By on Saturday, May 05, 2012

Pros: "Accessories, stylish, comfort, lots of pep"

Cons: "None so far!"

"I bought a ford Fiesta in 2011 and had SO many problems with it that I decided to trade it in for something better. The Elantra is by far the best car I've ever owned. Haven't driven it enough to get a good idea about mpg's, but I'm beyond satisfied with everything else thus far. You definitely get a lot of awesome things for the price (heated front AND rear seats, moonroof, USB port, XM radio, leatherette seating, etc). I actually enjoy driving again."

Bang For the Buck

By on Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Pros: "Quick, great MPG, comfortable, great value."

Cons: "Needs more power in the top end."

"This car is a mind blower. My wife had a 03' Elantra and it was a piece of junk. So when she traded in her 07' Compass to get a new 2011 Elantra, I thought she was smoking something. But after the test drive and looking over how much you get for your money, I traded in my 03' Tacoma and got one for myself. Getting 42mpg on the highway and 31mpg average around town, it still has plenty of get up and go off the line. The auto-stick is fun as heck to use and really helps out in the corners. The gadgets, comfort, and feel of the interior is much more than what you would expect from a car in this price range. All I can say is you need to check this one out."

Great car for not a lot of money.

By on Monday, April 02, 2012

Pros: "Warranty, Economy. Resale value. Looks. Reliable"

Cons: "Suspension. No Spare?"

"This is a great car. Seniors, small familys, young people will probably like this car. It does everything well but nothing great. ( Unless you consider 40 on the freeway great) I do. I just came back from Phoenix and got over 40MPG on the freeway at 80mph. The only thing I dont like is the solid axle in the rear. It allows the car to be pushed around to much in a head or side wind and any uneven surfaces on the road will really be noticed. Sometimes its unsettling and feels a little dangerous. Hyundai go to 4 wheel independent suspension and I will by another Elantra. If you don't. Hmmm."

I have owned two!

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "great price, fuel economy, safety top pick"

Cons: "no negatives"

"I bought a elantra gls in 2010, I loved it so much and I took a new one out for a test drive and fell in love with the new year and body style even more. Best car, and it comes with a great warranty! hyundia cars are not only reliable, they are great for fuel efficiency and for different weather conditions. the safety it great and the interior has definitely improved! I have loved driving both my Elantras! I do believe the resale value on my last car had held its own too, so the consumer is not at a loss for purchasing the car!!!"