2012 Hyundai Elantra

8.0

Based on 336 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

7.6/10

Cost - Dollar per Dollar, Elantra is Unbeatable

By on Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Pros: "Looks, Interior & Cargo Space, MPG, Value 4 money"

Cons: "Rear passenger greenhouse, road noise on bad roads"

"I have owned this vehicle(SE Auto with Preferred Pkg) for about 10 months, 10,000 miles now and I am in absolute love with it. A lot of features/Car for the price, be it convenience or comfort. My expectations were less when I chose a compact class car over the mid-size sedans but Elantra had exceeded my expectations well. My primary use is for commute to work and the Elantra does an exceptional job. Heated front seats helped a lot in Minnesota winters. Some competitors do not even offer them. Overall build quality is good, except for some creaking noise on the door handles inside. Nice touch of having two 12-Volt car power outlets, really helps when my spouse wants to charge her cellphone while I am charging mine. The 4 inch touchscreen even though is small is still adequate for the rear camera display. Radio listeners will love having the XM satellite radio receiver standard(initial 3 months trail is free) apart from standard AM/FM, single CD-MP3 and AUX/USB options. Drive is very smooth on well paved tarmac roads but road noise seeps in as soon as you hit Concrete(bridges, some toll roads)or badly paved roads. This is not that I cannot live with but more sound deadening material will improve the overall experience. My only gripe would be the glass window area for the rear passengers, the curvy and swoopy lines outside, did take some glass area out of rear passengers, some of my rear seat passengers felt claustrophobic. I hear a lot of people complaining about the car is not giving as much mpg as estimated and I do not understand those people for these reasons & few things I do to get the most out of this car: A) For god's sake these are estimates(meaning on standard testing conditions) which is not the case in our day to day, Stop and Go traffic. B) Being Gentle on Gas, meaning avoid to rev beyond 2000-2500 rpm and I do 65 mph on highways, these cars are not designed for race or atleast traffic light races - I get around 35 mpg combined(70% highways & 30% City). Lastly, if you can treat it as an appliance(like a fridge or washing machine), it can last really longer. Overall, worth the money spent."

Some things to ponder??

By on Thursday, December 29, 2011

Pros: "good price and and ok driving experience"

Cons: "need rear cup holders"

"We like this car, good mileage and descent interior room. Just wish it had a little more power for climbing hills and passing. The trunk is small and they don't give you a spare tire. Spare is replaced with an inflation product good for flats but not a blow out, so if your in the middle of nowhere and no cell service it can be a hazard for all."

Great value for the money

By on Thursday, October 06, 2011

Pros: "Styling, gas milage"

Cons: "No power seating, no climate control"

"Better exterior styling than all others in class. Nicely layed-out and functional interior. When driving for fuel economy my car gets right around 44 mpg on freeway\32 mpg combined. With the sport tires, and relatively stiff suspension, occupants can feel the road some. Handles well. Really should have drivers side power seat function. Regardless, it has heated front and rear leatherette seating, bluetooth capability, a handy usb port, voice controlled communication,sunroof and much more, all standard. This is one of, if not the best option if you are in the market for a car in this class."

Comfortable - Fun to drive

By on Sunday, January 27, 2013

"Bought this car primarily for work. I drive about 40-45,000 miles a year. Have a 2012 Santa Fe and love it. Got the Elantra for the gas mileage and I love the look of the car. Got the 2 door with 17" alloy wheels and moon roof but no tech package. I'm 6'1" and need to watch I don't whack my head when I get in, but once inside there is plenty of room and the seats are very comfortable especially on a long ride. Gas mileage is much better than my Santa Fe of course, but not what was advertised. I haven't reached 35 mpg yet even on the longest, flattest, straightest highways. And the miles per gallon calculator in the dash overstates what I'm getting by as much as 2-3 mpg. Have put 6000 miles on it in 3 months so I hope the mpg does improve. Brakes are a little grabby when you need to hit them hard, otherwise the ride is relatively smooth and the steering responsive. Trunk is also very roomy for this size car. My golf clubs fit easily. Love the bluetooth feature but it is hard to hear the person on the other end. This feature in my Santa Fe is excellent. Much clearer and louder. All in all for $20,000 I think it's a terrific vehicle."

Love my Elantra

By on Friday, December 21, 2012

Pros: "Features, price, stylish, fuel economy."

"Previous corolla owner. This car was like a discovery to me, so roomy, comfortable, a lot of standard features for the money, beautiful out and inside. Receive compliments all the time. I drive about 70 miles daily averaging 37 mpg. On highways, I have seen up to 43 mpg."

Went to buy a different car but loved this one!

By on Saturday, September 01, 2012

Pros: "Lots of standard features, excellent gas mileage"

Cons: "smaller than average cup holders, Pricey options"

"I have only had the car for a few days but my initial impression is that I'm extremely pleased. I wanted to buy the Hyundai Veloster but it had way too many blind spots. 10 years ago I bought a brand new Hyundai Tiburon and it's still running strong. I gave it to my younger brother who drives it now while attending medical school. I purchased a base model GT automatic. The 2 optional packages are way over priced in my opinion. I mount my android phone on the dash and use it for GPS so I didn't need a gps unit. The back-up camera is useless because there are very few blind spots in this car so I didn't need that either. The base model is pretty loaded if you ask me. Power windows, door locks, power steering, bluetooth XM capable stereo, dual heated seats and much more are all part of the base package! The car drives beautifully and is actually more quiet on the freeway than my 2007 Toyota Rav4. I sold my V6 Rav4 to get better mpg since I drive a lot for my work. There are 3 steering modes (normal, sport and comfort) that make the steering looser or tighter based on what you need. I keep it at normal most of the time. There is an eco button that reduces horse power but increases milage. I am getting more like 42-43 MPG on the highway vs the estimated 39 MPG but I drive at or just above 65mph most of the time. At first glance I couldn't understand why this car costs the same or more than the Veloster but now I know why. There is much more room in the back seats, the car drives smoother, gets better mileage (no matter what Hyundai claims about the Veloster), has more horsepower than the Veloster, has much better visibility and is a better overall value. It's sporty looking but roomy on the inside. Its not a "fast" car by any means but it's more than capable of keeping up with traffic. Its a fun car to drive and has standard feature of cars costing $7,000 more. I'm one of the first few people to own the Elantra GT but I can see this car quickly becoming extremely popular."

I absolutely love it!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

"There is nothing that I do not love about this car! Its a compact car with just about everything and its gorgeous inside an out how could you not love it."

Awesome value, great features, great fuel economy.

By on Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pros: "Features usually found on much more expensive cars"

Cons: "As expected, fuel economy trumps performance"

"This car is far superior to others in it's class and has more high end features than any other in it's price range."

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

"Love this car...Very reliable, easy to drive, etc. Definitely is owner friendly-makes sense and is well designed. MUCH better than Chevy Cruise, drove one as a rental for 2 weeks and couldn't wait to get back to my Elantra. The only things I don't like about the car is that the pick up isn't great (only 4 cylinders, so pick up isn't going to be great) and I didn't like the tan interior that was the only choice-it shows even minor stains prominently. It's nothing an interior car cleaner can't fix, but grey interiors would be my preference. All in all its a great car- I drove cross country in it and it was great on gas, etc. Would definitely recommend over its competition !!"

Nice car with good gas mileage!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Made in America, great price, good gas mileage!"

Cons: "A little noisy at with all the bad roads."

"I can almost get 27 MPG in town~it depends on how you drive! I can also get over 40 MPG on the highway and even more at times! I am pleased with the way the car handles and every car has blind spots, so you just have to find them and learn to deal with them. That's why we have side mirrors, rear view mirrors and necks to turn around to see! Overall great car for a small family or a couple who wants to downsize. Comfortable and has a great AC, which I really needed in the central valley of CA!!! :)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Elantra near Honolulu. See local deals