1996 Hyundai Elantra

7.8

Based on 166 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Cheap Car, careful for the evap canister

By on Thursday, April 05, 2012

Pros: "great price, fuel efficency, low insurance"

Cons: "evap canister issues"

"I've replaced my evap canister twice and just got a code again on it. Now my car is just a great first car for a 16 year old with $300 to sink ever few years into fixing this ongoing issue."

Will it ever DIE?!

By on Thursday, January 03, 2008

"When I met my husband 7 YEARS AGO, he introduced me to his 1996 Elantra, the "Green Bullet".... here it is 2008 and HE STILL HAS THAT ELANTRA!! This car runs GREAT, no problems except some slight road rash (rock dings and scratches) and aging interior. This car starts on the first try in 0 degree and 100 degree weather, STILL gets over 30mpg, handles well on the highway, and requires little to no yearly maintenance (MUST DO OIL CHANGES EVERY 3000 miles)!! He still washes and waxes the "green bullet", and the sucker still shines like the day he got it!! I said when it hit 100,000 miles, we'd trade it in - he dragged his feet in picking out a new vehicle, kept running the Elantra, and now we're going on 170,000 miles!! I brought home a Jeep Grand Cherokee last week, with the hopes we could donate the Elantra to charity, but he still refuses to give up the car!! So now, with the new Jeep for some of the driving, we're just prolonging the life of the Bullet... he now wants to see just how long it will go before it finally DIES!! (At this point, it has become a contest to see who is around longer, me or the Elantra!!) This is a great car for the money - nothing fancy, just a hard-core commuting vehicle, and with today's (and tomorrow's) gas prices, YOU CAN AFFORD NOT TO HAVE ONE!! How long have we owned this vehicle??? TWELVE YEARS !!! (Perhaps it will be the first one registered as a "classic"?!)"

Driving it is a badge of honor

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Gas Milage and reliability"

Cons: "Handling and comfort"

"I bought mine new 15 years ago. Now over 200K miles. I still have the orginal clutch. The AC has never been serviced and works great. It has the orignal exhaust & radiator. I drive it 60 mile round trip to work daily."

This car is a little work horse

By on Monday, December 17, 2012

Pros: "Handles beautifully, great turning radius,"

Cons: "blower, windows, lights not bright enuf"

"I deliver newspapers on a very large rural route (101 miles per day) 358 days a year. It has sad little kisses here and there, because there is no way to deliver for that many hours in a year without occasionally sliding in weird weather or misjudging where the pavement ends and the deliverbox begins.My point is this car runs and runs and runs. I only have two complaints. I have repaired the regulator on the driver's side window four times and it's beginning to behave badly again. Also, the blower for the heater had died now four times in two and 1/2 years. I'm not going to fix it again because I can't afford it. I can'y fix it myself because the location of the blower means that I would have to stand on my head under the panel on the passenger side. Not happening. But, I love this car. I understand that I am hard on it. But it had been very faithful and reliable, and for what I put it through, it's a pretty good sport."

This is a little workhorse, no repair first 7 yrs

By on Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, practical, economical"

Cons: "Lightweight, better for small framed individuals"

"Many years of excellent performance and reliability. Good handling, though a bit underweight on hi speed or windy conditions. Manages well even on turnpikes with aggresive drivers. Excellent braking and manuverability. Very Good in inclement weather as long as conditons are safe (ex. plows passed).Very good for smaller framed individuals. Seats go way back and recline adequately. Great cargo area and fold up back seats, for more room. Can accomodate more than one piece of furniture if packed logically; have transported appliances, including a smaller refrigerator. Top racks carry canoes, tables, and heavy, even bulky items; remarkable performance and no sagging or denting.Car racks intact and still in perfect shape as well as roof. Still reliable, after ten years of regular maintenance. Over the past 2-3 years, some problems more serious. Regret that they don't make this model any more. Far preferable to SUV type models. If they made it I would buy a new one! I love my Hyundai. Sorry to have to retire it. These opinions are sincere and accurate to my experience."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Hyundai Elantra near Honolulu. See local deals