2012 Hyundai Accent

8.4

Based on 68 Ratings for the 2012 - 2016 models.

GDI engine is amazing, quality issues with body...

By on Friday, December 18, 2015

Pros: "136 horses, light, 35 -40 MPG, agile & quick!"

Cons: "Trim quality issues, a little on the delicate side"

"I love the GDI. It's the wave of the future. Instead of trading fuel economy for horsepower, these engines boost both. It's no coincidence that of the 12 production models in the world with GDI engines, nine models are luxury cars or exotics. Light, goes like a bat out of Hades, and I get almost 40 mpg regularly. Only issue is with body and trim quality. The front bumper is held on with these flimsy little clips. The first time you park with the bumper over a curb (you will) or bottom out (you will), it comes loose. I hit a baby deer a week ago. No body damage whatsoever, but now the bumper is falling off. But I suppose that's how they keep the weight down. Rock solid reliable. Agile. Actually a sharp looking car. I would recommend it to anyone!"

Nice little car

By on Thursday, June 16, 2016

"I bought this car new, and aside from having the horn replaced (under warranty), this has been a very good car. I have to be careful not to get too close to a curb when angle parking though because the front bumper is quite low."

Fuel Sipping Hatchback That's Fun to Drive

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Great bang for the buck!"

Cons: "No spare tire!"

"My original introduction to the 2012 Hyundai Accent started while I was looking for a vehicle with high fuel economy and could accommodate my family. Additionally, I wanted a hatchback because I had owned a Mazda3 hatchback in the past and really appreciated its cargo volume. The Accent’s EPA of 30 city and 40 highway are rather accurate…I am averaging 28 MPG in the city and 44 MPG on the highway. My GS hatchback is a 6-speed manual and I do my best to follow the ECO shift indicator to achieve the best gas mileage, every so often I will push the 138 HP direct injected engine transforming the Accent into a lively ride. The exterior and interior styling are pleasing and mimic many of the great qualities of Asian and European manufacturers. The GS hatchback comes standard with power window and locks, tilt wheel, iPod connection (only downside is that one must purchase the cable to connect the iPod/iPhone), and CD/MP3/satellite radio. The only downside to content is that the Accent does not come with a spare tire…it comes standard with an air compressor and tire sealant. If you want a spare it’s an extra cost; something you may want to invest in if you travel through remote areas. The Accent’s interior volume is good…I had 3 adults (over 6 feet tall) and myself and everyone was comfortable; however the comfort level may wane over longer trips. The rear cargo volume is great and provides ample room for a stroller and groceries. Overall I am very pleased with the Accent GS Hatchback and consider it a great value for the money."

good value but Hyundai America non-responsive

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Pros: "Value, roomy int, good MPG. Nice 6 speed manual"

Cons: "steering, no spare, poor support"

"The 2012 Accent itself is a nice car with many positive attributes. For a well appointed transportation car it's hard to beat for the money. The electric assist steering takes some getting used to though, can be tiring on a long drive. This vehicle has no spare tire unless you buy one as an option at a $300.00 cost. Factor that into the price if that matters to you. If you have a concern that can't be resolved at the dealer level don't expect any help from Hyundai America. They don't seem to care about the customer after the sale. What is the point of a long warranty if there is no support. So far the car has been reliable but I will be selling it soon because of the attitude of Hyundai and will be going back to Toyota or Honda, they know how to treat their customers."

Great vehicle, especiall for the price!

By on Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pros: "Excellent price; Drives great; Room for the family"

Cons: "No cruise control; Limited visability when backing"

"Okay, so we were looking for the most affordable vehicle we could find, which would offer high MPG and be able to comfortably fit our family. We are 2 adults and 3 children, all of which are in their teen years. We considered all the usual suspects, but cost was a driving factor. The 2013 Hyundai Accent had great incentives which made it the cheapest option around -- thus driving our decision. That said, we don't feel like we missed out on anything. The car is great. The driving experience is superb, and even the entry model has features some of the other makes/models don't include (such as power windows and door locks). We've had the car about 3-4 months and have not had any problems -- nor do we expect to. Handling, even at higher speeds, it perfect. Large trucks/semis passing me don't bother this little car a bit. Plenty of storage in the hatch for groceries and other items. AC/Heat all work well, as does the radio and all other features. Only a couple of negatives, that I can think of. First, the lack of cruise control. I actually didn't notice that the base model didn't include cruise control. Would have liked to have had it, but with our driving it's not critical. We rarely put 20 miles on a car in a week. Every few months we may put 100-200 on the car in a day. So, lack of cruise control isn't the end of the world. The second problem is blind spots. I'm 5' 10" and I have a little trouble backing up because it seems like most of my viewpoints are blocked. I've never hit anything, it's just more restrictive than I'd like. That may be common for small cars though. In the past 10 years I've been mainly in mini-vans and full-size trucks, so it may just be something I need to get used to. Other than that I'm completely satisfied with the vehicle and plan to keep it for the full 10 years of the warranty."

not bad

By on Monday, February 10, 2014

Pros: "awesome gas mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "some inconvenience interior problems"

"I'm going to start off by saying this car is great for its class. It's no BMW, but i love it. Easiest way of writing a review is the pros and cons Pros: -Awesome gas mileage. 30 MPG combined for me (daily commute: 60% city, 40% highway). Also I pay about 35$ to fill it up and a tank will last me about a week and a half. -Handles well, no complaints there. -acceleration is okay -affordable -bluetooth is convenient There are no REAL cons with this car. It's more just me being picky but here's what I don't like. Cons: -Cup holders are low, hard to find in the dark. -Small interior, no elbow room if you have a passenger in the front seat. -when you extend the center armrest it blocks one of the cup holders. -my leg blocks the window controls and lock/unlock button Overall it's a great car. Just little things here and there that kind of bug me. I would for sure recommend this car to anyone who wants a reliable car, with awesome gas mileage and a budget under $16,000. inconveniences"

Great gas mileage and nice extras!!!

By on Monday, May 28, 2012

Pros: "Great GAS MILEAGE, Looks sharp"

Cons: "No keyless trunk entry, No garage door opener"

"Traded in a 2009 Mazda 3 for this vehicle. The gas mileage is truly incredible. We are getting 37-38 mpg consistently. The bluetooth provides a nice upgrade, as well. Vast trunk space for such a small car, too! It was exactly what my family of 4 was looking for."

overall beats the competition

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "mpg, so far no problems."

Cons: "no spare, no after sale support."

"This review is for a 2012 model so small differences may exist from a 2013. This car is quite a good value compared to the competition. I drove them all I think, dollar for dollar Accent is the best bang for the buck. I have the 6 speed manual and mileage and performance is very good, folks with the automatics complain of less than stellar MPG and poor performance, at least that is what I read. I'm happy with my manual trans version. I do think the electric assist steering is not ready for prime time, it takes a lot of correction to keep a straight line and can become tiring after a while. Maybe it can be addressed via a software update. The other major gripe for me is NO SPARE TIRE, just a can of sealant and junky compressor (spare tire is available for $300.00 as a dealer option) yet Canadian Accent's still comes with compact spares. A fact the sales people don't volunteer, that there is no spare. I've contacted both Hyundai zone office and the dealer, so far they don't seem to care. There seems to be a serious lack of after sale concern by either party. Very short sighted attitude. Factor this in your decision to buy a Hyundai, it may not be the value it seems to be on it's face. I personally wouldn't buy another Hyundai because there seems to be no concern for the customer after the sale."

Handles well, comfortable, excellent visibility

By on Monday, September 22, 2014

"very good car. reliable, very good visibility, very good gas mileage, comfortable, sporty feel."

Nice car for the money

By on Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pros: "Good economy, good room for such a small car"

Cons: "Begs for a performance version"

"It is a very good-value little car. The technology is superb. Fuel economy is good, although for being such a small car maybe could be a little better. We have an automatic; a manual would probably be better performance and slightly better fuel economy-wise. Hyundai is doing a great job and this car attests to that. Time will tell if these cars fare as well in older age and high mileage as say a Honda, Toyota, or Mazda, but in the early stages appear on par with the other high-reliability, high-efficiency autos."