2016 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $30,983 - $32,540.

Invoice N/A

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Info valid for your area through 10/06/2016

10/9.6

7.9

Based on 30 Ratings for the 2016 models.

7.5/10

Quiet with a Great Ride; Technology not that great

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Smooth and very quiet ride, roomy, dependability ?"

Cons: "Option choices; mileage; technology is lacking"

"This is our eleventh new Honda since 1998. The ride is great and one of the quietest riding vehicles I've owned. The V-6 has plenty of power, but the 9 speed automatic doesn't work as good as it should; it seems to hesitate in first and second gear, and really doesn't seem to have much "get up and go" until third gear. I haven't been on a long trip yet, but I don't think the gas mileage will be what is advertised; the trip computer indicates about 2-3 MPG above actual MPG. My last two Honda's fell short of the advertised MPG also. The "connectivity" is lacking. I've had at least a half dozen autos (Lexus, BMW, Chevrolet, and Hyundai), with Bluetooth and voice command capability, and this one is the most difficult to use; normal commands are sometimes not recognized. Voice commands for all of the others are fairly similar, but Honda's seem to be different. Also, steering wheel controls are on opposite sides from most autos. I really wanted the Elite model for the second row captain chairs, heated AND cooled front seats, rain sensing wipers, auto high beam, etc., but didn't want all wheel drive, so I opted for the Touring model instead. I could care less about the entertainment package, but again had no choice there. Honda could probably sell more Pilots, if they were a little more flexible with option choices. I like the "adaptive cruise control", but the greatest feature on this vehicle is the "lane keep assist". I think this car would drive itself, but unless you grip the steering wheel, the feature turns off and you get a warning to re-grip the steering wheel. Also, if you enter an area where the right or left road striping (intersection) is gone, the steering wheel pulls a little to the right/left, as if it were hunting the right/left stipe. I like the "Lane Watch", but think it would be equally important for it to be on the left mirror as well as the right mirror. The three stage backup camera is great for parking in tight places. Hopefully, Honda will upgrade some of their tech features for their next years model, and will make more allowances for option availability."

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly

By on Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pros: "Ample space, nice design, good handling"

Cons: "Terrible Infotainment system, gas mileage"

"I purchased my 2016 Honda Pilot Elite in late October 2015 for $50,000+ out the door. The Good: I was very impress with the redesign and all the safety features that were standard on the Elite trim. I was also impressed with the test drive and how the vehicle handled on the road. Having owned a 2012 Acura TSX which has a "state of the art" user interface (voice command) to the Infotainment electronics stack (navigation, phone, audio, RES), I assumed the "Elite" would be as good or better than a four-year-old Acura TSX. This is where we come to the "bad" and "ugly" part of my review. After 6 weeks of driving my new Pilot Elite, I have come to realize there is absolutely nothing "Elite" about the Infotainment electronics stack. It is absolutely, in my opinion, one of the worst designs I have yet to encounter in a vehicle. To begin with, the touch screen is very slow to respond. I spend an inordinate amount of time looking and touching the screen while driving, when the same functions could be accomplished through "voice commands" or using a steering wheel or middle console input device. Every time I use the voice command button on the steering wheel, it takes me to a redundant screen of options for nav, phone, audio, help, etc., as opposed to just letting me give a voice command for "Call Home", "Navigation" or "FM Radio". While driving, I can only access 3 speed dial listings or call history listings. I cannot give a voice command for "next screen" or "call history". Again, I must touch the screen and take my eyes off the road. The touch must be used for the majority of input to the system which I am finding very distracting while driving and is becoming a safety hazard as I try to input to the system. All this screen touching poses another problem which is fingerprint glare on the screen. Living in Florida with abundant sunlight, I must constantly wipe the fingerprints off the screen in order to see the screen info under the fingerprint glare. Very frustrating! While driving I called Honda Tech Support through the touch screen and got their voice automation system. The system asked me to select one for Honda or two for Acura. Guess what, the number tone selection on the touch screen was "blacked out" since I was driving. The system let me make several touch inputs to make a call, but I could not select a number input for voice automation??? The worst system I have encountered is the RES (rear entertainment system) touch screen. It is absolutely worthless! While driving, if my 6-year-old daughter asks for me to put in a DVD, it is impossible for me to get it started without pulling off the road, getting in the back seat and using the back seat controls for the RES. The touch screen does not display any DVD menu information that would allow me to select, language, chapter or play movie. I have challenged several dealership sales reps to start a DVD from the driver’s seat and none have been successful in starting a DVD without getting in the back seat. The only thing the touch screen can do it "pause" a movie once it is playing. In my opinion, the safety on the Honda Pilot Elite is severely compromised by the amount of time one spends looking at the screen and doing inputs in order to initiate functions in the vehicle. A robust "voice command" system would accomplish the same thing without taking your eyes of the road or needing to pull off the road to accomplish simple tasks. Had I known how rudimentary, deficient and totally frustrating the Infotainment system is, I would not have purchased this vehicle. The Honda Pilot "Elite" is definitely not "Elite" when it comes to the Infotainment user interface to the electronics stack!"

Honda Sensing is TERRIBLE

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Pros: "Quite with very smooth ride"

Cons: "Honda Sensing is a failure."

"I recently reviewed this auto; at that time, I had about 1,500 miles on it. I now have a little over 4,500 miles on it. My wife is the primary driver of this vehicle, but I occasionally drive the vehicle. Honda Sensing was not designed for rural America (two lane highways). I recently made a 10 mile trip in this vehicle, and I was constantly getting some sort of warning or alert. Most of the alerts were collision alerts when meeting oncoming traffic. I mentioned this to my dealership, and they said it was probably when you were in a oncoming curve, and indicated that it was something that I would just have to live with. My wife hates the Honda Sensing, and actually wanted me to consider trading for some other vehicle. I turned off the lane departure system, lane keep assist, changed the adaptive cruise control to regular cruise control, and turned off the collision alert system. I still haven't found a way to permanently turn off the engine stop system at red lights. I did take the vehicle in to my dealership and they upgraded the software, but I can't tell much difference in the recognition of voice commands. Some of the time, voice commands are recognized and some of the time they aren't recognized. I certainly expected more from Honda!!"

2016 Pilot was my second Pilot

By on Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Pros: "Comfortable, easy to use third row"

Cons: "Nav Sys was an afterthought for designers"

"I bought a 2016 in Dec 2015 and now have more than 9,000 miles on it. Only negative is the Nav System and I can't recommend it (very expensive option that wasn't well vetted). Within 3-months of purchase I was informed the software was out of date and needed to be upgraded. I looked at the online option and was info'd to expect 4-hours to accomplish the task myself. The local Honda service dept. didn't seem to be too engaged when I asked about it. Biggest gripe with Nav is the display where you can't easily identify optional routes when in traffic or zoom in/out - its a forward looking display rather than a top-down where you can see upcoming intersection / side streets and whether or not they go through. That said, I regularly drive up and down the central valley of California for 300-400 miles per day and the ride is very comfortable with no discomfort following 6-7 hours behind the wheel in a day. I also like the Sirius/XM radio and didn't hesitate to purchase a subscription based on my use. Lastly, the third row seating is very easy to use or lay down and the Honda rear mat was well designed folding so it can be easily used whether the 3rd row is up or down."

Okay, I guess

By on Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Pros: "Most everything"

Cons: "Infotainment system / Overpowered steering"

"I have owned MANY Honda vehicles and this is easily the most expensive by far. I seems to do the things it was intended to do fairly well (like haul around several people and lots of stuff). I haven't owned it long enough to tell you all the things I like about it but I have driven it enough to tell you all the things I don't. First off. OMG, is the infotainment system terrible!!!! You need a degree in computer technology from M.I.T. just to adjust the volume. It is completely unnecessarily complex. This seems dangerous to me. You have to take your eyes off the road for so long to make the simplest adjustment I could easily imagine running off the road just because you wanted to select a different radio station. Also, it is slow in response time. I have pressed the touch screen multiple times waiting for something to happen and then you don't know if you missed the button or pressed it too many times. I HATE this system. It is the worst. Honestly, I considered returning the car merely on the amount of frustration I experienced with the electronics. Second complaint, the steering is lacking in tactile feedback. You might as well be spinning a wheel on a sailing ship. It is slow and mushy and feels awful. I suspect the electronic power assist is overpowered and removes all the feeling from turning the wheel. Again, another source of unnecessary danger."