• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2012 Honda Pilot

Based on 279 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Outstanding SUV, best one I've owned

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Would definitely buy another one"

Fantastic multu-purpose vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, fun, versatile, pretty, practical"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Had this SUV for 6 months of touring western US. Ran great in desert, beachside, and in mountains. Incredible space, and comfort for family of 7: 5 adults + 2 kids. We all fit and were very comfortable and all our "stuff" for a week in Yellowstone fit. Lots of nice extras like plenty of cup holders, lights for each row, hidden storage spaces, electric outlets, ... Ran great, got 18 mpg fully loaded, 4WD got us easily through some snow issues and mountain passes. Now setting it to tow a travel trailer - can tow a max of 4,,,,500 lbs. with its 4WD. Looks great, super visibility for driver, great stereo- played our iPods and we could adjust it play to only in front, all over, or only back. Same with AC and heater - each section of car could adjust to their needs. An A+++ ranking from our family. Mahalo Honda!"

needs captian seats in front

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "nds captain seat in front for the arm rest in"

"great car i would buy another pilot but no style change so am going toyota"

A good reliable car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Good solid workhorse"

Cons: "Road noise"

"It is good and solid, with a comfortable ride and plenty of pep. The only negative I can think of is the very annoying, excessive road noise."

Disappointing for the price paid.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Very disappointing gas mileage, both city and hwy. 18-19/22-23 Computer system is difficult to use and looks like a last minute add on. Nav. system is very difficult to operate and not up to date. Need touch system Back floor is slanted to the rear so that items slide out. Oil change at 3750 is very outdated. Most new cars are between 5000 and 7500. Downshift to 3rd gear is outdated. Most new cars downshift with touch of the brake. Sound system is adequate but not premium. Transmission should be a six speed. Comments are on a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with all available options."

Too Many Issues

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cons: "Brakes are very low; motor races while braking"

"Only had the car for a few months, with just over 3,000 miles. The brakes are very low. Every few days, sporadically while I'm at a stop the engine will start to race and the vehicle wants to take off. I have to put it into park and rev the engine a few times to make is stop. It's been back to Honda multiple times and they say that can't find anything wrong and that's just the way the brakes are. Also within the first month I had it, it was recalled for a possible piston malfunction that if seizes while driving could get you into an accident. They did take the SUV right in and gave us a loner for three days. I usually don't write reviews but I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues, especially the motor racing while at a stop. We're looking to trade it in some time this year if these things aren't taken care of."

Not my first choice next time

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride and handles well"

Cons: "Lags with overdrive on. Fair gas mileage."

"Shift handle in bad place. The gas saving overdrive is awful. Gas mileage is only fair. Car lags quite a bit and this becomes very annoying. Sync system is not up to today's standards either. They could learn a lot from Ford on this. It is not user friendly at all. I could go on but I won't. The actual car is comfortable to ride in as well as the seats. I guess I just expected more from the Pilot. We had a Ridgeline and we absolutely loved it. Boy was I surprised how different they are."

Pretty good

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Practical, roomy, lots of seating"

Cons: "Lots of plastic inside, gas mileage is OK"

"It's a reliable, practical vehicle. Being a Honda, however, the little things inside are just not always the greatest quality. Overall, it's a pretty good vehicle."

Love it

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Safety, look, gas milage"

Cons: "nothing!"

"I love my pilot and when It hits the dirt, if it ever does I will get another one! I love it, I have been in an accident where I t boned someone and it totaled there Toyota highlander and only messed up my bumper. . I feel so safe in this SUV and will never own anything but this!!!"

2014 Pilot a Major Disappointment

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "seats"

Cons: "econ mode, acceleration, braking, interior"

"There are some high point to the car but the transmission shudder/rumble you experience any where from 20-70mph is a major disappointment. I also had to have my brakes fixed after 100 miles because there was a lack of pressure from the master cylinder and the brakes did not catch until pressing in 3inches or more. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone!!!! The issue has been reported to Honda (major attitude) and this is an acceptable experience for a brand new SUV. My wife owns a 2012 CRV which is a nice vehicle all around...."

Great for room - not a smooth ride

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Great to look at and very roomy"

Cons: "Driving is not smooth - noisy"

"I bought a 2014 Pilot in Nov 2013. Love the look of the Pilot inside and out - HATE the way it rides. The car gets stuck in a low "revving" noise with vibrations under your feet & in the steering wheel while you are driving between 25-50 mph. You either have to take your foot off the gas or accelerate a little to get it "unstuck" and then it just happens again when you get to the next level. I was told by Honda that this is part of the eco_system in the car. It is most definitely not a smooth and comfortable drive. At the gas station, the plastic covering attached to the gas door fell off after I opened it. It just gets snapped back on like a lego toy. Not a huge deal but definitely just adds to the dislike of this car. Also, having battery issues after owning it for 2 months."

Best vehicle I have yet to own!

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel and fun to drive!"

Cons: ""ECO" engine feature to conserve MPG,"

"This is the perfect SUV that comes with all of the Honda reliability one could ask for. It works great for hauling kids and our large lab, and for towing. I recently moved from AZ to VA and had to tow the largest U-Haul trailer around, and it did great! Everything is perfect about this SUV, and it would get 10/10 for everything except the "ECO" engine feature. Honda kind of fumbled this one for all of their vehicles. There is the occasional "shutter" when it switches on and off at certain speeds."

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cons: "Adjusting to width, instument controls"

"We have had our 2012 Pilot Touring w/RES & Nav since November 2011. It has been an incredible car/truck. It is very easy to drive as the steering is responsive and smooth. The engine is no maintenance and stong (not throaty or truck-like)...we had used synthetic oil since mile #1. We have black on black...so, it shows extremely well, almost luxury when detailed. We couldn't be happier, as its the wife's car and the boys thoroughly enjoy the space and conveniences. The cargo room is more than you would expect (I have easily moved furniture and a full size bed w/box spring just by putting the second row down). The toughest adjustment was getting used to the instrument controls/RES/radio controls and getting comfortable with the width of the Pilot (it is wider than the standard SUV). I highly recommend this car for those that don't want the stereotype of a minivan, but the conveniences of one. It has the reliability of a Honda, quality of a Lexus, and size of a HMMWV."

I love driving it!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration, Spacious, Comfort"

"I've always had SUVs and my 2009 Pilot is my favorite vehicle to drive (right after my S2000). I owned Ford Explorer, Ford Sport Track,Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty all V6 before. If you are like me and are always on the go driving fast and fairly aggressive - you will not be disappointed with handling, acceleration, braking and stability of this vehicle in any conditions including NYC traffic and steep mountain terrain.I also like the transmission and the D3 lock comes handy in the mountains. I will trade fuel efficiency for power and responsiveness any day. It is an SUV V6, so don't expect miracles - it burns gas just like all others, but less then V8. It prefers REGULAR GAS not premium! All seats go flat, so there is plenty of cargo - you can easily camp in it. and if you need seats - it has 8 - even 3rd row seats are comfortable. My boyfriend is 6'5" and he doesn't feel cramped. Driver seat has many adjustments. I have to mention small turning radius; it makes U-turns and parking a breeze combined with rear camera - you can fit in tightest spots. I'm snow sports enthusiast, so I also invested in SNOW TIRES (michelin X-ice2) and my Pilot got me to the mountains in the worst of conditions, leaving others stuck. It is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE vehicle, so it is great in snow. I was concerned that I can't manually choose 4x4,and have to rely on the computer adding more torque to rear wheels when needed, but now I love it. There is also "extra torque" button, but in past 3 winters I had to use it only once when I was plowed in in 2' of snow and refused to dig. Keep feeding it regularly with synthetic oil and it will run great with almost no maintenance. I installed alarm and remote starter and I noticed more drain on battery, but had no problems since I bought a new one after 4 years. It is not trail rated vehicle, so don't go crazy off-roading with it - replacing drive shaft costs $1000 - lesson learned. If you have kids - you will love rear DVD option - wireless headphones keep kids happy and front seat passengers able to listen to radio - or you'll be the cool aunt like me. My next car will definitely be another Pilot."

Dissapointed

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Storage, comfortable seats, navigation"

Cons: "Reliability, fit and finish, lousy MPG,"

"This is my 2nd Pilot. I traded in my 2006 EXL for a 2013 Touring 4x4 in May 2013 and have had several problems with it. I had to replace the power steering pump (recall) within 5 days of ownership, the rear engine mount was defective and had to be replaced(required American Honda to get this repaired). Now, I have constant vibration thru the seats (not the steering wheel) from 35 MPH - 55MPH. Very annoying and uncomfortable. There is a known issue with VCM vibration in Pilots and Odyessey's which Honda is yet to resolve. However, the vibration I am experiencing goes beyond the VCM issue. Since I mostly drive at 40-45 MPH I'll probably take a loss on the car and sell it...."

Reliable, comfortable, versatile.

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

"Best car I have owned. My priorities for a vehicle changed as we purchased a motor home for traveling and no longer need this large of a vehicle for around town travel. Otherwise, I would never sell. My last Honda Pilot was a 2004 and I traded for this one. Not a moment's trouble. All warranties will transfer. Free oil change program until 30,000. miles. Around $1,000.in extras; lighted running boards, rubber mats, cargo cover, etc."

Really enjoy this vehicle

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "Great poor weather/snow vehicle"

Cons: "Mileage"

"In 2009, purchased a new 2009 Pilot Touring 4WD and with 61000 miles on it now, I really have few bad things to say about it. Getting used to the feel of the vehicle when it is in ECO mode was an adjustment but other than that very satisfied. Seats 8 (several of them need to be small people to be comfortable), very good audio system, and slices through snow with little effort. It can carry a lot of people or stuff but not both. The fold down seats allow you to do a little of both but it is not a massive SUV. Gas mileage is OK, I get about 17 in the city and have done as good as 26 on the highway with 5 passengers total, no AC. Stock tires (in 2009) on the vehicle really provide great grip and I was able to get them again when I replaced them around 50000. They are more like an off road tire than a road tire but they do well and were quiet until about 50000. Honda needs to redesign this vehicle and when you buy the top trim level there is an expectation for things like automatic retracting side mirrors for example and even the 2014 doesn't offer them. Had a couple of quality issues with a visor (installed with no screws) and a rear power plug and needed a transmission repair (under an extended warranty) but other than that and regular oil changes, it has been dependable and inexpensive to keep on the road. Finally, this vehicle drives more like a truck than a car and provides that elevated view that I like. I would purchase another one but not before a redesign."

Honda Quality - It's a Joke!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "It starts in the morning"

Cons: "Paid $30,000 + for a re-furbished vehicle"

"Purchased a NEW (2 miles on it) Honda Pilot. Within 3 weeks I noticed a 'defect' in the paint. After working with the dealership and Honda it was confirmed that, at the Honda Plant, they repainted the rear quarter of the vehicle. Honda's response was to paint it a 3rd time and they would give me some mudflaps for my inconvenience. When they repainted it (at the Factory), they left masking tape under the wheel well, re-installed rubber moldings that are warped and did a poor job painting it too. Honda will not stand behind their vehicle that should have had the paint work disclosed in the first place."

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable"

"I loved the Pilot and I would buy another."

This is my 3rd Honda Pilot and obviously I love it

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Size, comfort, reliable"

"I have enjoyed each Pilot I have owned. Honda has improved the quality with each one."

needed new motor at 3 mo. 6000 mi.

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "none"

Cons: "poor gas milage"

"at 75000 mi. needed all 4 rotors resurfaced."

GREAT FOR THE PRICE

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "GREAT DEAL"

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE IS VERY POOR"

"CONSIDERING THE COMPETITION IS 20K MORE..THIS IS AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE."