2011 Honda Pilot

Based on 335 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Excellent choice for growing family of 5

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "child access, ride comfort, looks great!!!"

Cons: "could use a little more HP for high traffic areas"

"I recently purchased a touring pilot and have no regrets. I needed something for my wife and I and our three kids to get around comfortably and the pilot is definitely the answer. My kids love it and are very comfortable getting in and out and with their seating area. My wife and I love driving it, although I would agree it could have a little more horsepower, for the most part it's nimble enough to get in and out of traffic, but could be a little more responsive at the accelerator. The car drives fantastic and handles well, especially on the road system we have in the south. It makes for a pleasant drive daily. I would highly recommend this vehicle for it's user friendliness, well defined control layout and ease of access in and out of the vehicle. In fact the vehicle is so impressive inside and out that a good friend of mine took one look and test drive, of my pilot, and bought it the next day!!!!"

Engine Probelm in HONDA Pilot 2012

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Problem in engine when AC is on and car not moving"

"This is first summer for this car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning very loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. I am very surprise and upset that despite Honda Motor is aware about this issue till the date Honda did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. DO NOT BUY HONDA PILOT 2012 UNTIL THEY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM."

One amazing SUV!! Bravo 2012 Pilot

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "VALUE, SIZE, COMFORT, CONTROLS, ECONOMY"

Cons: "ENGINE COULD BE A LITTLE STRONGER, BUT ITS GOOD"

"I have owned several SUV's. 2011 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec, 2012 BMW X5 D, Jeeps, and even a couple Acura MDX's. The pilot is absolutely the most favorite one that I have ever owned. The room is fantastic, and the storage compartments give you plenty of room for everything. Seats are comfortable and roomy, with plenty of room for any size person. The changes that Honda made for the 2012 Model year, including the new front and rear look, makes the vehicle look like a brand and not just a car with a square grill. I have had several Pilots as well, and have always loved them........ except the "square" front end box". The new look adds personality to what was already a good car. The new control's on the inside make it so easy to find Temp Control, Radio, along with Navigation, i pod and phone. Fuel economy is awesome for a product this size. Average around town of anywhere from 18.0 to 20.0 miles per gallon, and trip's are bringing me 22.0 to 24.0 miles per gallon. Transmission is silky smooth, and the car is pretty darn quite. The only change that I would like to see is Honda put a larger engine in the vehicle. Don't get me wrong...... the 3.5 does great, but they could get a little more horsepower out of the same motor, as they have done with Acura."

I love this car (SUV)!

By on Saturday, September 7, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, lots of space, and safe"

Cons: "Would always love better gas mileage!"

"I tell my husband all the time, "I love this car!" I love how it drives/handles, I feel very safe in it, I love the height/visibility, and I love the space for my kids. Strollers fit easily in the back and we can haul the kids, the dog, and all of our gear. Before this, I had two different Mercedes and then we had kids. We had a Jeep with a V8 that I enjoyed driving once strollers entered the picture, but the gas mileage was out of control. We got rid of that and bought this and could not be happier with the Pilot. Oh, I also love the fact that it takes regular gas and the maintenance compared to the German cars is wonderfully priced. I will drive these for a long time."

A good no-nonsense family SUV

By on Thursday, August 9, 2012

Pros: "Practical, Great Value, Timeless Exterior Design"

Cons: "less-than-precise steering"

"* Great MPG for an SUV this size -- drove from SoCal to Yosemite and it delivered 26 MPG (with 5 people and full cargo). * Functional and versatile interior. * Low humming (annoying) background noise when AC is on. * Intermittent low vibration observed (I think comes from the engine compartment) when stop at traffic light (i.e. still in gear, with break depressed). * Overall, quite pleased with the car so far. * Will review again after a year or so."

Minivan Alternative

By on Monday, June 4, 2012

"An excellent option for a family with 3 or more grown up kids. Very quiet and comfortable. Mileage is significantly better than our previous minivan. I am getting 24mpg in an even combination of city/highway driving (2012 2WD EX model)."

Just what I expected...

By on Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, backup cam, heated seats"

Cons: "City gas mileage, shortcuts on materials"

"Really pleased with this SUV for the price. I wanted a mid size and this SUV has the most interior cargo space of all the vehicles I looked at on the market. Third row seating is really easy to use or lay down for space. Pros: Honda's EX model always comes with everything so you don't feel like you are getting gouged with extras like some other car companies. Heated seats are awesome, love the backup camera. Good sound system, comfortable, feels a little luxury on a smaller budget. Highway gas mileage isn't bad, I average 19 mpg. Cons: City mileage is 16. Doesn't handle as well as my RAV, but then again I have more room so it shouldn't be as zippy. Blind spots at the rear are pretty bad on both sides even w/backup cam. Some cheap short cuts...leather seats aren't leather on the sides, when driver door opens and you look at the molding of the car it is some kind of styrofoam instead of the steel car casing. I'm sure there are more shortcuts I'm not seeing."

Great SUV for the money!!

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun andto drive, comfortable"

"I have owned the 2011 Honda Pilot for a little over a year and have driven it approximately 16,000 miles. This is a fine vehicle that is a pleasure to drive. I've owned SUVs for the past 15 years including 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees and a 2008 4 Runner, This is not an off road vehicle like the Jeep or 4 Runner. It has a much smoother ride with excellent fit and fisnish. The ECO transmission component took about 500 miles prior to operating smoothly but works great now. I've seen the comments concerning the undersized engine but I do not know what they were expecting out of a SUV. If you need it to accelaerate from 15 to 50 -good or 65 to 85 – surprising fast. The 2011 Honda Pilot has a good sound system that can be used with iPod and XM id standard equioment. The room inside this SUV is our favorite feature. On longer trips, it has been a pleassure to have the extra leg and head room. I'm a avid DIY home improvement person and this vehicle has hauled lumber, patio block, soil and much more. I don't know what we would have done without this lardge size SUV. My wife has a Highlander but there is no comparison. If you are looking for a full size SUV, this is a great choice. If you looking for great gas mileage and a small SUV, this should not be your choice,"

Never lets me down-just might be smarter than me!

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

"I live in the Sierra Foothills, about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe; where gold can still be found and we enjoy 4 distinct seasons throughout the year! This vehicle has been outstanding. The hill assist technology makes this an easy and comfortable cruiser up and down the mountains and the foothills. It is consistant and smooth and alleviates the need to constantly adjust the pressure applied to the gas pedal; no "herking" or "jerking"! as reliable as my Dog and offers the lowest cost of operation of many of the SUV's I've had over the years. It is durable and comfortable and does a good job of limiting road noise. I would recommend the Pilot to anyone considering an SUV. My only wish is that I had owned one sooner!"

Present from my late Dad

By on Thursday, November 4, 2010

"I was looking for a special vehicle to purchase as I was going to spend the money that my Dad had left me when he died in July-2009 on it. I researched just about every SUV and selected the Honda Pilot. This Pilot, I named it "Frankie" after my Dad, has exceeded my expectations. It drives, handles and looks better than anything in it's class. I've had it over a year and have never had any problems both inside and under the hood. It really is something "special" to me."

My favorite vehicle, ever!!!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, space, ride quality, smooth transmission!"

"My first Pilot was an '05 model, that I had for 7 years and 100K miles. Now I have a new 2014 EX 4WD that I love already. It's more hi-tech than my first Pilot, with a Bluetooth hands-free link and USB/MP3 ports. It's got the same strong, smooth engine and transmission as my first Pilot. Same spacious interior and cargo area. Same wonderful, smooth ride. A significantly quieter interior that blocks out almost all road noise. An even more beautiful exterior, that is unlike most other modern SUVs that have an ugly, glorified station wagon look. The same solid, very tough build. I love everything about this Pilot and if I were Honda, would not change a thing. It's a terrific vehicle!!!!"

smooth quiet good build quality

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pros: "Very smooth and quiet driving SUV"

Cons: "Not enough power, needs more HP, and 6 speed trans"

"My Pilot EX-L has 11000 miles on it. It drives very quiet and smooth.MPG'S average about 19-21, highest on trip was 26.5. Seats are very comfortable with power adjust. Lumbar does not work very well. Dealer service has been excellant, with reasonable service prices. This is my 3rd Honda,( 2 prior cars were Odysseys."

Awesome family SUV

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Room, ride, quality"

"This has been a great SUV for my family of 4. Very comfortable and smooth ride. Lots of cargo room w/o the bulky car (i.e. Tahoe). Third row seating is much easier to get to then I originally thought and it folds down flat in the cargo area. A"

excellent reliability

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

Pros: "reliability, fun to drive,great turning radius,"

Cons: "poor quality leather seats"

"Excellent vehicle to drive in the canadian winters, have taken several long trips and the fuel mileage for the size of the vehicle is excellent.Only complaint is the quality of the leather seats, the exl only comes with the grey interior and if you do not cover the seats they become very dirty and require to much maintance. We have 25000 miles on the vehicle and the drivers seat is showing to much premature wear. Spoke to Honda about this but the were unresponsive to my complaint. When you pay 45000. plus you expect a little more."

Nice ride

By on Monday, May 31, 2010

"This is my first SUV so I cannot compare against others from an ownership standpoint but can say that it was one of the better rides when test driving against others (e.g., Highlander). The economic cylinder adjustment (from 6 to 4 or 3 cylinders) required some getting used to. The car got a little rough when switching, almost like riding on a cobblestone road. Overall, at 17000 miles, I am very happy with this car. It rides very nice, bluetooth works well, stereo (and MP3) works well, and gets fairly good mileage. On a ride to MA from VA, we got about 22 mpg with 2 adults and 3 kids when it had about 2000 miles on it. Now at 17000 miles, we got 21.7 mpg on a trip with one adult and one child. The electronic gadgets on the Touring are plentiful. You can slice and dice all kinds of data from your trip as well as monitor tire pressure, temp, miles left before an empty tank. Very happy and with the record snow this year, it handled it very well."

A Great SUV and Value

By on Sunday, November 1, 2009

""This is our second Pilot and we love it. We use it daily for a commute to work, sports tailgating and vacation road trips. During an August trip in Florida we got as high as 24mpg which was very good considering a fully load SUV, 4 people and the A/C going. We have had "0" issues with the Pilot. We have used the 3rd row seat a couple of time and found it easy to put up and down. There is also more storage space than our 2006 Pilot. We looked at several vehicles before purchasing our 2009 Pilot and I'm glad we did. I would recommend this vehicle without reservation. I hope this helps.""

Best Value SUV

By on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"The 2009 Honda Pilot is the best value SUV on the market. In terms of functionality and reliability it can't be beat. For those in need of an 8 passenger SUV there is no competition that can touch what Honda has to offer. Fair warning - it is bigger than you think, and you will never be as thankful for the use a back-up camera as when you drive this beast."

Excellent touring car

By on Sunday, April 4, 2010

"Drove from Arkansas to Vail Co. More comfortable than my traded in Suburban. More than enough power to get through the mountains. Handles on curvy mountain Roads."

Best vehicle I've ever driven

By on Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"I loved my 2006 Honda Pilot. I planned to buy it at the end of my lease, but then I drove the 2009 Honda Pilot. It's even better. The back up camera with the monitor on the rearview mirror is so cool and obviously a great safety feature."

Love this SUV, very dependable, drives great.

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Style, driveability, durability, options and value."

"I am in my 50's and this is the best vehicle I have ever ownned. Very comfortable to drive, lots of power, very roomy, I have hauled 8 people in this car several times. I love the driveability of this vehicle, the way it takes turns, it is so balanced. I really fell in love with it over the winter months, driving through ice and snow. The traction control this thing has is amazing, I have never experienced a vehicle like this. I bought the car new and have owned it just over 2 years and I have put 90,000 miles on it. You would think it just came off the show room floor. Honda put Michelin tires on it and I am just now replacing the tires, they ran for over 90,000 miles. Great Value. Love this vehicle and higly reccommend it."

Excellent Family Car and traveling

By on Friday, July 11, 2014

Pros: "Great Price. Good MPG. Holds 2 adults 4"

Cons: "radio lacking some options."

"Great car. Purchased one new for 29,000. We have put a lot of miles on this car in 1 year. Over 20,000. Lots of traveling on road trip up the mountains and to the beach. Handles great in the snow. Good MPG around 25MPG on long trips packed with 2 dogs and 4 small children. ONly complaint is the radio, lacks some controls. But the bluetooth is easy to use and the radio is very good. I love how the seats can move around. Easy to carry 2 adults 4 children and 2 dogs!"

2012 EX-L 4WD

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

Pros: "great road handling in 4WD vesion"

Cons: "Noisy and vibration at 60-8-mph"

"Car rides well and is resonably comfortable. A little loud, but thats a Honda trait. Averaging 20mpg in combined Hwy and city (not stop and go) Pros: Great road handling, Decent stereo, Bluetooth works well, Good all around visibility, 4WD does well in the snow, but the tires are not true Mud/Snow tires. No grip with these. The 2011 had more agressive tires. Cons: Vibration in steering and body between 60-80mph. Still not fixed after 3 trips to dealer. Front glass easily pits from sand or small stones. Noisy cabin. Having to buy roof rails and the electrics for towing. Overall not a bad vehicle. Would I buy it after driving it for 2 months? No."

great suv for the money

By on Monday, March 21, 2011

"had 2009 honda pilot trded it and got 2011 nissan quest .i traded my quest with only 351 miles .i missed my pilot got a 2011 ex an i glad i got back into a pilot great resale value feels safe and snow and ice are no problem.drove the toyota highlander felt cheap and was more money and had poor resale value.my pilot has a ton of romm im 6.5 and my son who is 17 is 6.8 tall plenty of space i love this suv...."

I max out the pilot

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "8 comfortable seats, 5000 lb towing capacity"

Cons: "Not free"

"I bought the Pilot EX-L AWD and it has worked out for every demand I have for it. I have 6 kids and everyone has a reasonably comfortable seat with all 8 people in the car with a stroller in the trunk. This includes 2 car seats and a booster. Front passenger leg room is great as I am 6'1"+. The stereo is better than my 06 MDX. The Aux input allows smart phone to switch between GPS and music and phone so the NAV package might sync via Bluetooth but that is a pretty minor perk for several thousand more. The center console is more useable than any other vehicle I have owned. Towing: I pull an 18 ft bow-rider. You can feel it is back there but there are no problems with highway or city handling and I have never slipped on the ramp. Clearance and hitch height is also very good. Seats fold down easily. Extra room in the floor of the trunk. Having the separate flip up back window allows loading and unloading of the trunk without having everything fall out, all over the driveway. So this vehicle pretty much does it all and does it well. No mechanical problems at all, but only 2 years old. When I bought the pricing was a good 8 grand better than the highlander. Reliability ratings pretty much knock this out of the park over everything else with comparable room and gas mileage."

Fantastic multu-purpose vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, fun, versatile, pretty, practical"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Had this SUV for 6 months of touring western US. Ran great in desert, beachside, and in mountains. Incredible space, and comfort for family of 7: 5 adults + 2 kids. We all fit and were very comfortable and all our "stuff" for a week in Yellowstone fit. Lots of nice extras like plenty of cup holders, lights for each row, hidden storage spaces, electric outlets, ... Ran great, got 18 mpg fully loaded, 4WD got us easily through some snow issues and mountain passes. Now setting it to tow a travel trailer - can tow a max of 4,,,,500 lbs. with its 4WD. Looks great, super visibility for driver, great stereo- played our iPods and we could adjust it play to only in front, all over, or only back. Same with AC and heater - each section of car could adjust to their needs. An A+++ ranking from our family. Mahalo Honda!"