2010 Honda Pilot

Based on 311 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Minivan Alternative

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, value, mileage, and features"

"Now that our 3 kids are older, the wife and I were looking for a vehicle with the space of a minivan (3 usable rows), good mileage, comfort, reliability, and smooth ride. After test driving the Kia Sorento (third row not usable), Chevy Traverse (poorer mileage and resale value), and Toyota Highlander (not as well finished or as much 3rd row room), we settled on the Pilot. No regrets to date. In an even mix of city and highway driving, am getting 21mpg - I expect this to improve slightly after break-in."

Best I have owned

By on Monday, July 11, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, very versatile, many premium features"

Cons: "not gas friendly at current prices"

"I think any bad review here is for those who should have bought a crossover. This is a full size SUV and not a gas sipper! For a full size SUV, it does everything I believe it should, and more. My wife owns a Highlander and immediately tried to take this car over from me. Why? Because it has that little bit of extra room and versatility that you would expect from a larger vehicle that suits a family. It's much tighter than her Highlander, and we have not had one issue compared to about 6 or 7 with the 08 Highlander, including some recalls. It gets about 1 mpg less, but the extra room in the 3rd row is what has paid for itself with us. We can comfortably use that 3rd row which is not honestly realistic with the Highlander. The options on my EX-L pretty much satisfied all on my wishlist. Backup camera, dual power seats, heated seats, accessory plugs, etc. Perfect vehicle. I have owned many cars, and drive an average of two rental cars/week, and I can honestly say this car deserves many accolades. Trading for a new one in a few weeks.!!!!"

Awesome Vehicle!

By on Friday, November 19, 2010

"This is my second Pilot. I traded in my 2008 (1st Generation Pilot) shortly after taking a test drive of the 2011 Touring Trim while I was having service done on my 08 EX-L Pilot. I had no intentions of buying this but was sold on it almost immediately after finishing my test drive. I love with the smooth drive, the comfort of the softer leather seats, the improved lumbar support, the awesome sound system, and all the newly added features that my 2008 EX-L trim didn't have such as Bluetooth capability and the in-dash indicators such as the gas usage and the average MPGs bar that shows you instantaneous gas usage at any given moment. Another awesome feature is the hatch which now opens and closes automatically with a simple push of a button. The ability to open only the glass window on the hatch is an added bonus. My only complant is that Honda used a hard, cheap looking course plastic throughout the interior. It cheapens the appearance and feel and looks aweful when scratched. If they had used the same materials as they did in the first generation, I would easily classify this vehicle as THE best SUV I have seen and driven, including many of the luxury model SUVs of this size that I've driven. Unfortunately, the cheap feel of the plastic interior prevents me from putting it in a higher classification. Aside from that single flaw, the Honda Pilot Touring 4WD trim is near perfect with its smoth comfortable drive and the addition of its useful new features."

Dissapointed

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Storage, comfortable seats, navigation"

Cons: "Reliability, fit and finish, lousy MPG,"

"This is my 2nd Pilot. I traded in my 2006 EXL for a 2013 Touring 4x4 in May 2013 and have had several problems with it. I had to replace the power steering pump (recall) within 5 days of ownership, the rear engine mount was defective and had to be replaced(required American Honda to get this repaired). Now, I have constant vibration thru the seats (not the steering wheel) from 35 MPH - 55MPH. Very annoying and uncomfortable. There is a known issue with VCM vibration in Pilots and Odyessey's which Honda is yet to resolve. However, the vibration I am experiencing goes beyond the VCM issue. Since I mostly drive at 40-45 MPH I'll probably take a loss on the car and sell it...."

My very favorite

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"I have owned many vehicles in my life and this is by far my favorite. I love almost everything about it. It's a tank in the snow, it's so solid and fun to drive for a large vehicle and it fits my family of 5 comfortably with plenty of extra room. I also love all the bells and whistles that come on the Touring. I really didn't think I cared about having a built in GPS but now I wouldn't get one without it. The only drawbacks are it doesn't get great gas mileage but that's to be expected, what big vehicles do? I get around 19-21 mpg with a mix of city and highway so it's still not bad. With the same driving my Accord gets a consistant 30.5 mpg so I drive that when I need to save on gas. The other small negative is the dash could be made of a nicer material where the controls are. Wood grain or anything other than plastic would have been better. The leather could be a little higher quality also. At almost 100K miles, it looks smells and drives brand new, the only thing that's not working correctly at this point is the power mirrors. I will be replacing it with another one after another 100k miles. I'm hard to please when it comes to vehicles so I really don't understand the negative reviews. Compare for yourself, there's really no comparison."

Cool Vehicle

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"I bought the 2010 Honda Pilot EX 4WD in December of 2009. I have never filled out one of these reviews until now, because I think this vehicle is worth it. My wife and I love this SUV. It drives nice, is comfortable and fits everyone in our family. Right now we have two teenagers and an 8 year old, but will be adding two kids and know this vehicle will comfortably handle them. Gas mileage is O.K. for an SUV, 16.5 average...18.9 on our last trip. BIG PLUS...we saved about $2,000 using the Costco vehicle plan. Look into this, anyone can get it!!! P.S. The Honda Dealership will not tell you about this program...they want more money."

Great SUV and Great Gas Milage of 24MPG City

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Utility, Smooth, Quiet Ride, Nice Electronics,"

Cons: "Cheaper Plastic dashboard, cluttered controls"

"I purchased a new 2013 Pilot EX because of the room inside to put two bikes inside. I've had a Grand Cherokee, a Cherokee, an FX35 and now the Pilot EX. What I love: I get 24MPG city (got an extra 2MPG after replacing the air filter with a K&N). I can always tell when the ECO kicks in. It was annoying at first because you can feel the bump in the engine, but after a while, it reminds me to make subtle changes to the accelerator to keep it in ECO mode. I also love the bluetooth audio streaming and phone connections. The milage screen is awesome! Radio is adequate in the EX, but just adequate for a sub $30k automobile. Acceleration is also adequate, but not abundant. It's fine for me, because mileage is my priority. The car tends to look boxy, but I do like the look. The car is comfortable and quiet, despite some of the prior reviews. Storage is amazing and the car is forgiving and handles like a much smaller vehicle. This is one vehicle that once I get in, I don't speed and enjoy the ride. I find myself not in a rush all the time. What I don't love: The plastic dashboard and squeezed in controls. My Infiniti had all the buttons in the world but was smartly designed. The buttons, especially the A/C controls, are squeezed in together, which requires excessive looking when driving. The plastic dashboard makes it look "childproof," which was not the look I was going for, as a single guy. But overall, I'm very satisfied!"

Exactly what we wanted...

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles great, lots of extra features"

Cons: "Small glove box"

"After my first SUV experience being an Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer that was nice on the inside but full of problems... We knew we had to look for a more reliable SUV. We originally went out looking for a 4Runner, but ended up falling in love with that way the Pilot drove and all of the extras. I average 19mpg, which is great compared to my old V8, and the Eco feature that cuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising is great and you can't even tell the truck is cutting out the extra two cylinders. I saw a lot of people commenting on how cheap the interior is, but I tend to disagree, for a Honda, the interior is quite nice considering they have always been known to put more effort into engine components. We love our comfy heated leather seats & how did I ever not have a back up cam, such a nice feature. The buttons for the climate control are a bit busy, but a/c and heat is automatic once you set your desired temp, so no need to mess around with it too often. The 2nd row seats recline, which I've never seen before, and my Son loves it on road trips. The 2nd row seats also slide forward super easy to access the 3rd row seating which is actually quite spacious. The amount of cargo space when the 3rd row folds down is awesome & they fold down pretty flush. The way the SUV handles compared to my Explorer is a dream, absolutely feels like you are driving a car, but the 4wd is there when you need it."

Roomy Mid-Sized SUV

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Quality, Value, and Room / Space"

Cons: "Just a little negative is comfort and design"

"Just like any Honda...the value, reliability and quality are present and accounted for! I traded-in a leased 2011 Toyota Rav4 Limited to a 2013 Honda LX to get more rear seat room for my growing son. While I was initially concerned over losing several features to keep my payment similar, it hasn't been much of a struggle because Honda does a good job...even on the base LX. There are certainly a few things I miss like Auto On lights and heated leather seats but that's not why I ever so slightly dinged the interior and comfort (i.e. an 8 out of 10 isn't bad). DESIGN - The molded plastic dash and cloth side door molding aren't quite the greatest...has a dry and brittle texture if that makes sense. Still, pretty good but could be better is all. Also, lots of buttons and knobs in the center console that take a little bit of getting used to. Not that the dash is overwhelming or not user friendly...just that it could be laid out a little bit better possibly. How I don't know. But the car I traded in had a lot more features (top of line vs. base model) and it seemed to flow more naturally I guess is the word I am looking for. Again, it's not complicated and not a huge ding. COMFORT - Honda seats are woven tightly with what seems like limited padding so the seat feels a bit firm and unforgiving. Keep in mind this is a base model so it's mostly to be expected. On the plus side is literally EVERYTHING else. The drive is very good. And the extra room (research showed this is the largest of the mid sized SUVs) is fantastic. And not just for my teenage son in the 2nd row but even for those of us upfront as there is more space left-to-right so it doesn't feel as cramped. I just don't think anyone is going to go wrong buying a Honda. Definitely not the 2013 Pilot!"

A solid alternative to a minivan

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Storage flexibility, overall utility, driveability"

Cons: "Can be truck-like, low fuel mileage, hard plastics"

"I have owned my 2010 Honda Pilot EX (with leather) for a little more than 2.5 years. In that time, it has served me well. The flexibility of storage, overall utility and comfort for my family of four has been outstanding. We have never had any mechanical problems with this vehicle, although the brakes have needed work since the rotors are prone to warping (don't let anyone use a air tools to tighten your lug nuts! Torque sticks, which they claim to use to prevent this, are simply no replacement for a real torque wrench). There is more than adequate power, and the handling is decent for such a big vehicle - although no one will confuse it for being a car - it handles more like a truck. Weak points in this vehicle include handling (more to the truck than car-like) and fuel mileage. The 2005 model that I owned prior to this vehicle was much better in these regards. It's also still consumed by hard plastics in the interior that are far below Honda's usual standard. On fuel economy - don't believe the EPA estimates, particularly if most of your driving is in stop-and-go traffic. Real world is more like 14-15 MPG, and with the relatively tiny gas tank, you'll be filling up less than 300 miles per tank. On the highway, it will do 20MPG - 21+ if you're going downhill with a tail wind. But this vehicle has a massive, upright facia that doesn't exactly cheat the wind, so you'll find that both your right foot and the cruise control will need to get into the gas to keep it at speed. I haven't done any towing with this vehicle, but it's setup from the factory to easily carry a bike carrier on the hitch, and that works well. There's a lot of thoughtful touches inside, although I truly wish they would have made room for more cup holders in the doors of the first row. Otherwise, I have no complaints with the utility and driveability factors. In particular, with the 4WD and factory tires (Goodyear Integrity) this thing is a beast in the snow. I no longer worry about whether I can get to work, even on poorly plowed roads. You can also easily get a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the trunk. I've even stuffed an entire twin bed in the back with no issues. This is by far my favorite vehicle for Home Depot trips and big box stores. You would not believe what you can fit and still drive the vehicle comfortably."

Great SUV for my Needs

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Very roomy and can hold 8 people"

Cons: "Miss having smart key with push button start."

"I bought the Touring model and it is very roomy and with SUV loaded with family of 4 and dog got 24 MPG on trip to Dallas from Houston. I seem to get better MPG than some other reviews but have a long ride to work and back and just yesterday was able to get 28 MPG back home from work. The ride is great and road noise seems minimal to me. There is lots of room for almost any item in the SUV and the features all work great. Best SUV I have owned at this point."

I LOVE my Honda Pilot

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "sunroof, leather, rear camera, 8 passenger"

"I just bought a used 2011 Pilot and absolutely love it. I talked to many people that have a Honda Pilot and they love them. They also drive them for years, which was important to me. I like to keep my cars for 8-10 years. It wasn't easy to find a used Pilot. I was looking for an 8 passenger vehicle. There are not many on the market that are this size. I didn't want anything as big as the Suburban or Tahoe. The third row is very roomy. We had a child who is five feet tall in the back and there was plenty of leg room. My kids love sitting in the back. The sound system is fantastic. The sunroof is my favorite feature. I have the leather interior after trading in a car with cloth interior and like how easy it is to clean. The seats are heated which is a nice feature on a cold fall night. The car drives very well and is easy to park in tight spots. The rear camera is a wonderful feature. I have nothing by wonderful things to say about this car."

Love my Touring 4WD 2011 pilot

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"in June 2010, I started researching into buying a SUV for the first time. As background, I have mostly driven German (Mercedes) and my wife had a Honda Accord (great car). At the time we owned a CL550 and the Accord. I resarched and tried Mercedes, Audi, Acura, Toyota, GM, and FORD SUV's. Based on quality and value, I narrowed it down to Acura and Honda Pilot. I noticed the 2011 Touring 4WD, dove it and fell in love with it and its features. Acura MDX was also great but I found PILOT to be more roomy and better looking for my taste(I am a guy and like a masculine looking SUV.). Then I searched all the S.F. bay area looking for a Black-on-balck Touring 2011 4WD. No one had it anywhere and those who promised to get me one, failed. What a disappointment. i could not even order one! (what was going on I said with these dealers). Then I found what I wanted with 7 options already on it maing it unique looking. Have had it for 6 months and the ride/handling on curves is fantastic and impressive for a SUV with that hight. It is very roomy. Have had 7 people on board a few times for stretches of 1.5 hour drives. The entertainment package is great and my kid loves it. I have driven it twice from S.F. to L.A./S.D. and back so far. For the first time in these trips I enjoyed every momet of the driving. The driver seat was honestly as good if not better than business class airplane seats. On the highway, I could get to 20.5 miles/g (round trip). In the city of San Francisco (which is all stops and trafic lights every 100 yards), I get 13/14. So perhaps a bit disappointed on miles/g but nothing unexpected given what it can carry (try carrying 7 people in two cars). People had complained about the control panel being confusing. Well it is less confusing than CL550 which has in excess of 70 controls on the panel. I guess people who upgrade more traditional cars with less crowded panels found it overwhelming but it is normal. I like the navigation interface using the control knob. Much better than push button controls. The ride is quiet and he same as quietness in CL550 (really). I like the power outlets, the USB, and other interface options. Really good for long hauls and travel. My only complain is the use of cheap plastic in the inside. I recommend to Honda to provide the Touring trim at least with a better quality interior. Also it will not hurt to add a couple of small panels (like Range Rover) to the front left and right (will make it even better looking). Overall I am happy and so far nothing to complain."

Engine Probelm in HONDA Pilot 2012

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Problem in engine when AC is on and car not moving"

"This is first summer for this car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning very loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. I am very surprise and upset that despite Honda Motor is aware about this issue till the date Honda did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. DO NOT BUY HONDA PILOT 2012 UNTIL THEY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM."

One amazing SUV!! Bravo 2012 Pilot

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "VALUE, SIZE, COMFORT, CONTROLS, ECONOMY"

Cons: "ENGINE COULD BE A LITTLE STRONGER, BUT ITS GOOD"

"I have owned several SUV's. 2011 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec, 2012 BMW X5 D, Jeeps, and even a couple Acura MDX's. The pilot is absolutely the most favorite one that I have ever owned. The room is fantastic, and the storage compartments give you plenty of room for everything. Seats are comfortable and roomy, with plenty of room for any size person. The changes that Honda made for the 2012 Model year, including the new front and rear look, makes the vehicle look like a brand and not just a car with a square grill. I have had several Pilots as well, and have always loved them........ except the "square" front end box". The new look adds personality to what was already a good car. The new control's on the inside make it so easy to find Temp Control, Radio, along with Navigation, i pod and phone. Fuel economy is awesome for a product this size. Average around town of anywhere from 18.0 to 20.0 miles per gallon, and trip's are bringing me 22.0 to 24.0 miles per gallon. Transmission is silky smooth, and the car is pretty darn quite. The only change that I would like to see is Honda put a larger engine in the vehicle. Don't get me wrong...... the 3.5 does great, but they could get a little more horsepower out of the same motor, as they have done with Acura."

I love this car (SUV)!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, lots of space, and safe"

Cons: "Would always love better gas mileage!"

"I tell my husband all the time, "I love this car!" I love how it drives/handles, I feel very safe in it, I love the height/visibility, and I love the space for my kids. Strollers fit easily in the back and we can haul the kids, the dog, and all of our gear. Before this, I had two different Mercedes and then we had kids. We had a Jeep with a V8 that I enjoyed driving once strollers entered the picture, but the gas mileage was out of control. We got rid of that and bought this and could not be happier with the Pilot. Oh, I also love the fact that it takes regular gas and the maintenance compared to the German cars is wonderfully priced. I will drive these for a long time."

A good no-nonsense family SUV

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Practical, Great Value, Timeless Exterior Design"

Cons: "less-than-precise steering"

"* Great MPG for an SUV this size -- drove from SoCal to Yosemite and it delivered 26 MPG (with 5 people and full cargo). * Functional and versatile interior. * Low humming (annoying) background noise when AC is on. * Intermittent low vibration observed (I think comes from the engine compartment) when stop at traffic light (i.e. still in gear, with break depressed). * Overall, quite pleased with the car so far. * Will review again after a year or so."

Minivan Alternative

By on Monday, June 04, 2012

"An excellent option for a family with 3 or more grown up kids. Very quiet and comfortable. Mileage is significantly better than our previous minivan. I am getting 24mpg in an even combination of city/highway driving (2012 2WD EX model)."

Just what I expected...

By on Saturday, October 08, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, backup cam, heated seats"

Cons: "City gas mileage, shortcuts on materials"

"Really pleased with this SUV for the price. I wanted a mid size and this SUV has the most interior cargo space of all the vehicles I looked at on the market. Third row seating is really easy to use or lay down for space. Pros: Honda's EX model always comes with everything so you don't feel like you are getting gouged with extras like some other car companies. Heated seats are awesome, love the backup camera. Good sound system, comfortable, feels a little luxury on a smaller budget. Highway gas mileage isn't bad, I average 19 mpg. Cons: City mileage is 16. Doesn't handle as well as my RAV, but then again I have more room so it shouldn't be as zippy. Blind spots at the rear are pretty bad on both sides even w/backup cam. Some cheap short cuts...leather seats aren't leather on the sides, when driver door opens and you look at the molding of the car it is some kind of styrofoam instead of the steel car casing. I'm sure there are more shortcuts I'm not seeing."

Great SUV for the money!!

By on Saturday, August 27, 2011

Pros: "Fun andto drive, comfortable"

"I have owned the 2011 Honda Pilot for a little over a year and have driven it approximately 16,000 miles. This is a fine vehicle that is a pleasure to drive. I've owned SUVs for the past 15 years including 3 Jeep Grand Cherokees and a 2008 4 Runner, This is not an off road vehicle like the Jeep or 4 Runner. It has a much smoother ride with excellent fit and fisnish. The ECO transmission component took about 500 miles prior to operating smoothly but works great now. I've seen the comments concerning the undersized engine but I do not know what they were expecting out of a SUV. If you need it to accelaerate from 15 to 50 -good or 65 to 85 – surprising fast. The 2011 Honda Pilot has a good sound system that can be used with iPod and XM id standard equioment. The room inside this SUV is our favorite feature. On longer trips, it has been a pleassure to have the extra leg and head room. I'm a avid DIY home improvement person and this vehicle has hauled lumber, patio block, soil and much more. I don't know what we would have done without this lardge size SUV. My wife has a Highlander but there is no comparison. If you are looking for a full size SUV, this is a great choice. If you looking for great gas mileage and a small SUV, this should not be your choice,"

Never lets me down-just might be smarter than me!

By on Thursday, July 28, 2011

"I live in the Sierra Foothills, about 30 minutes from Lake Tahoe; where gold can still be found and we enjoy 4 distinct seasons throughout the year! This vehicle has been outstanding. The hill assist technology makes this an easy and comfortable cruiser up and down the mountains and the foothills. It is consistant and smooth and alleviates the need to constantly adjust the pressure applied to the gas pedal; no "herking" or "jerking"! as reliable as my Dog and offers the lowest cost of operation of many of the SUV's I've had over the years. It is durable and comfortable and does a good job of limiting road noise. I would recommend the Pilot to anyone considering an SUV. My only wish is that I had owned one sooner!"

Present from my late Dad

By on Thursday, November 04, 2010

"I was looking for a special vehicle to purchase as I was going to spend the money that my Dad had left me when he died in July-2009 on it. I researched just about every SUV and selected the Honda Pilot. This Pilot, I named it "Frankie" after my Dad, has exceeded my expectations. It drives, handles and looks better than anything in it's class. I've had it over a year and have never had any problems both inside and under the hood. It really is something "special" to me."

I max out the pilot

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "8 comfortable seats, 5000 lb towing capacity"

Cons: "Not free"

"I bought the Pilot EX-L AWD and it has worked out for every demand I have for it. I have 6 kids and everyone has a reasonably comfortable seat with all 8 people in the car with a stroller in the trunk. This includes 2 car seats and a booster. Front passenger leg room is great as I am 6'1"+. The stereo is better than my 06 MDX. The Aux input allows smart phone to switch between GPS and music and phone so the NAV package might sync via Bluetooth but that is a pretty minor perk for several thousand more. The center console is more useable than any other vehicle I have owned. Towing: I pull an 18 ft bow-rider. You can feel it is back there but there are no problems with highway or city handling and I have never slipped on the ramp. Clearance and hitch height is also very good. Seats fold down easily. Extra room in the floor of the trunk. Having the separate flip up back window allows loading and unloading of the trunk without having everything fall out, all over the driveway. So this vehicle pretty much does it all and does it well. No mechanical problems at all, but only 2 years old. When I bought the pricing was a good 8 grand better than the highlander. Reliability ratings pretty much knock this out of the park over everything else with comparable room and gas mileage."

My favorite vehicle, ever!!!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, space, ride quality, smooth transmission!"

"My first Pilot was an '05 model, that I had for 7 years and 100K miles. Now I have a new 2014 EX 4WD that I love already. It's more hi-tech than my first Pilot, with a Bluetooth hands-free link and USB/MP3 ports. It's got the same strong, smooth engine and transmission as my first Pilot. Same spacious interior and cargo area. Same wonderful, smooth ride. A significantly quieter interior that blocks out almost all road noise. An even more beautiful exterior, that is unlike most other modern SUVs that have an ugly, glorified station wagon look. The same solid, very tough build. I love everything about this Pilot and if I were Honda, would not change a thing. It's a terrific vehicle!!!!"

smooth quiet good build quality

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pros: "Very smooth and quiet driving SUV"

Cons: "Not enough power, needs more HP, and 6 speed trans"

"My Pilot EX-L has 11000 miles on it. It drives very quiet and smooth.MPG'S average about 19-21, highest on trip was 26.5. Seats are very comfortable with power adjust. Lumbar does not work very well. Dealer service has been excellant, with reasonable service prices. This is my 3rd Honda,( 2 prior cars were Odysseys."