2010 Honda Pilot

Based on 307 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Great Buy 4WD Touring

By on Sunday, July 26, 2009

"We traded in our 2004 Explorer due to the large amount of repairs. We primarily use this to tow our double waverunner trailer. The low end torque is not as good as the lartger v8, but at highway speeds it pulls great. I like the new design of the '09 and plan on keeping it for a long time."

great suv

By on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"i was interested in other similar models but honda pilot worked out the best very comfortable nice ride well worth the money"

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2009

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Friday, May 20, 2011

"Bought my 2011 Pilot 3 weeks ago and LOVE it. We are a family of 5 tall people and this car is perfect. Great for carting around our teenage son and his friends. Highly recommend buying this over a Highlander!!!! PROS-huge interior, fits in a normal parking space, great acceleration, ECO engine, plenty of room behind 3rd row(will fit 3 or more sets of football gear), LOTS of storage compartments, easy to fold seats(my 5 y.o. can do it), easy to clean, 360 AC vents, great turning, drives smooth like a car, rear windows roll all the way down CONS-dirt clings to plastic interior trim, rain drips in if window is cracked, driver cup holders could be moved in first slot, glove box too small, would be nice if center row reclined more, all 12V plugs turn off when car is off"

Honda doing what they do best...

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Fun to drive, Dependable and best deal."

Cons: "MPG, Control buttons, No HID,"

"Excellent driving vehicle, superb handling and the Pilot is a quality SUV for the money. They are just a bit behind in the technology department with the competition. They need to offer more safety features on the touring model (ie: blind spot indicator, HID headlights and easier controls). And I don't understand why they only put two sensors on the front bumper corners, it should have four with such a large hood. The one that annoys me the most is when going in reverse, only one of the mirrors tilt down. I am pretty picky, but could not afford the vehicles that meet all my desires, but overall the Honda Pilot is a Best Pick. My mpg is not so good, I get 18-19 mpg and I drive like a grandpa. I can't even get 20 mpg with cruise control. But, my biggest reason for getting a heavy SUV is the safety aspect for my family if involved in an accident."

So far, so (very) good

By on Saturday, July 03, 2010

"Bought an EX-L Metallic (dark gray) with gray leather. It's my wife's car. I tried to convince her to go upscale this time around. We drove an MDX and an RX-350 in addition to the Pilot. At the end of the process she just couldn't convince herself that the Acura or the Lexus were $10K nicer, so we went with the Pilot. I wasn’t wild about it, but hey, it’s her car and after three months, I have to say that she made the right call. The Pilot is comfortable and quiet and it handles as well as any SUV I've ever driven. Given that we've only had it for three months, the five stars on reliability are based on my previous experience with Hondas and the fact that even after a few months, I haven't been able to find a single flaw with fit and finish or materials. The first long drive was a 1200 mile trip from Houston to Lubbock and back. I got about 21 MPG, but I’m a fairly heavy-footed driver and kept the cruise control at around 75 miles per hour most of the way. I doubt that I’ll ever see the EPA 23 from the sticker, but given the size of the Pilot and my driving style, 21 isn’t too bad and it’ll probably marginally improve with more break-in. The XM radio and the iPod auxiliary jack were greatly appreciated during long west Texas stretches where you can’t get much conventional radio reception. Before buying, I read every one of the KBB consumer reviews and numerous reviews from other sources, including Consumer Reports. Most of the negatives pointed out in those reviews are, for my wife and I anyway, nits. Road noise: It’s not quite as quiet as my Avalon, but name me an SUV that is – not sure what to make of the comments CR made about this, because they simply don’t match my experience. Busy button-filled center stack: So it took me a couple more days to get to the point that I could punch the button I wanted without taking my eyes off the road. Mileage: Come on, it’s a big SUV – if mileage is your highest priority you don’t want an SUV of any sort, period. It’s still early days, but so far, this one seems to be up there with the best cars we’ve ever owned.."

GREAT SUV WITH A FEW FLAWS (EX-L AWD)

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Comfort, Reliability"

Cons: "Angled cargo space, 2nd row hard to fold"

"Quite happy with the overall performance and quality of this vehicle. My average MPG is 18.9 (about 80% city). This is an AWD vehicle so I'm quite impressed with the fuel consumption. There's a little bit of wind and road noise but they're almost non-existent when the music is on. The engine could be a bit bigger for the size/weight of the car but then again I don't want to sacrifice fuel consumption to get a few horsepower. The third row is comfortable even for full size adults. I'm 5'8" and I still have about 2 inches of extra leg room. Now the negatives: You need some force to push the second row forward to access the third row. NO one hand operation here. The cargo space, although quite huge when the third row is down, angles down so things have the tendency to fall down or roll. Be careful when opening the trunk, you might end up picking broken stuff off the concrete. It's not a perfect vehicle but then again I didn't pay $50G's for it so I'm very satisfied with this purchase."

Best 3 row mid sized SUV

By on Sunday, June 14, 2009

"Bought my 2009 Touring in July 2008. I now have over 13k - no issues at all. Compared Pilot to Buick Enclave, Mazda CX-9, Highlander and this has the best 3rd row (can fit adults). The Buick was a close 2nd but the value of a Honda vs Buick made this a no brainer. So far, no regrets. Only down sides is the "boxy" look from the outside (Enclave does look better) but if you have kids, this is the vechile for you."

Minivan Alternative

By on Friday, April 06, 2012

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, value, mileage, and features"

"Now that our 3 kids are older, the wife and I were looking for a vehicle with the space of a minivan (3 usable rows), good mileage, comfort, reliability, and smooth ride. After test driving the Kia Sorento (third row not usable), Chevy Traverse (poorer mileage and resale value), and Toyota Highlander (not as well finished or as much 3rd row room), we settled on the Pilot. No regrets to date. In an even mix of city and highway driving, am getting 21mpg - I expect this to improve slightly after break-in."

Best I have owned

By on Monday, July 11, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, very versatile, many premium features"

Cons: "not gas friendly at current prices"

"I think any bad review here is for those who should have bought a crossover. This is a full size SUV and not a gas sipper! For a full size SUV, it does everything I believe it should, and more. My wife owns a Highlander and immediately tried to take this car over from me. Why? Because it has that little bit of extra room and versatility that you would expect from a larger vehicle that suits a family. It's much tighter than her Highlander, and we have not had one issue compared to about 6 or 7 with the 08 Highlander, including some recalls. It gets about 1 mpg less, but the extra room in the 3rd row is what has paid for itself with us. We can comfortably use that 3rd row which is not honestly realistic with the Highlander. The options on my EX-L pretty much satisfied all on my wishlist. Backup camera, dual power seats, heated seats, accessory plugs, etc. Perfect vehicle. I have owned many cars, and drive an average of two rental cars/week, and I can honestly say this car deserves many accolades. Trading for a new one in a few weeks.!!!!"

Awesome Vehicle!

By on Friday, November 19, 2010

"This is my second Pilot. I traded in my 2008 (1st Generation Pilot) shortly after taking a test drive of the 2011 Touring Trim while I was having service done on my 08 EX-L Pilot. I had no intentions of buying this but was sold on it almost immediately after finishing my test drive. I love with the smooth drive, the comfort of the softer leather seats, the improved lumbar support, the awesome sound system, and all the newly added features that my 2008 EX-L trim didn't have such as Bluetooth capability and the in-dash indicators such as the gas usage and the average MPGs bar that shows you instantaneous gas usage at any given moment. Another awesome feature is the hatch which now opens and closes automatically with a simple push of a button. The ability to open only the glass window on the hatch is an added bonus. My only complant is that Honda used a hard, cheap looking course plastic throughout the interior. It cheapens the appearance and feel and looks aweful when scratched. If they had used the same materials as they did in the first generation, I would easily classify this vehicle as THE best SUV I have seen and driven, including many of the luxury model SUVs of this size that I've driven. Unfortunately, the cheap feel of the plastic interior prevents me from putting it in a higher classification. Aside from that single flaw, the Honda Pilot Touring 4WD trim is near perfect with its smoth comfortable drive and the addition of its useful new features."

Dissapointed

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Storage, comfortable seats, navigation"

Cons: "Reliability, fit and finish, lousy MPG,"

"This is my 2nd Pilot. I traded in my 2006 EXL for a 2013 Touring 4x4 in May 2013 and have had several problems with it. I had to replace the power steering pump (recall) within 5 days of ownership, the rear engine mount was defective and had to be replaced(required American Honda to get this repaired). Now, I have constant vibration thru the seats (not the steering wheel) from 35 MPH - 55MPH. Very annoying and uncomfortable. There is a known issue with VCM vibration in Pilots and Odyessey's which Honda is yet to resolve. However, the vibration I am experiencing goes beyond the VCM issue. Since I mostly drive at 40-45 MPH I'll probably take a loss on the car and sell it...."

My very favorite

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"I have owned many vehicles in my life and this is by far my favorite. I love almost everything about it. It's a tank in the snow, it's so solid and fun to drive for a large vehicle and it fits my family of 5 comfortably with plenty of extra room. I also love all the bells and whistles that come on the Touring. I really didn't think I cared about having a built in GPS but now I wouldn't get one without it. The only drawbacks are it doesn't get great gas mileage but that's to be expected, what big vehicles do? I get around 19-21 mpg with a mix of city and highway so it's still not bad. With the same driving my Accord gets a consistant 30.5 mpg so I drive that when I need to save on gas. The other small negative is the dash could be made of a nicer material where the controls are. Wood grain or anything other than plastic would have been better. The leather could be a little higher quality also. At almost 100K miles, it looks smells and drives brand new, the only thing that's not working correctly at this point is the power mirrors. I will be replacing it with another one after another 100k miles. I'm hard to please when it comes to vehicles so I really don't understand the negative reviews. Compare for yourself, there's really no comparison."

Cool Vehicle

By on Friday, January 15, 2010

"I bought the 2010 Honda Pilot EX 4WD in December of 2009. I have never filled out one of these reviews until now, because I think this vehicle is worth it. My wife and I love this SUV. It drives nice, is comfortable and fits everyone in our family. Right now we have two teenagers and an 8 year old, but will be adding two kids and know this vehicle will comfortably handle them. Gas mileage is O.K. for an SUV, 16.5 average...18.9 on our last trip. BIG PLUS...we saved about $2,000 using the Costco vehicle plan. Look into this, anyone can get it!!! P.S. The Honda Dealership will not tell you about this program...they want more money."

Great SUV and Great Gas Milage of 24MPG City

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Utility, Smooth, Quiet Ride, Nice Electronics,"

Cons: "Cheaper Plastic dashboard, cluttered controls"

"I purchased a new 2013 Pilot EX because of the room inside to put two bikes inside. I've had a Grand Cherokee, a Cherokee, an FX35 and now the Pilot EX. What I love: I get 24MPG city (got an extra 2MPG after replacing the air filter with a K&N). I can always tell when the ECO kicks in. It was annoying at first because you can feel the bump in the engine, but after a while, it reminds me to make subtle changes to the accelerator to keep it in ECO mode. I also love the bluetooth audio streaming and phone connections. The milage screen is awesome! Radio is adequate in the EX, but just adequate for a sub $30k automobile. Acceleration is also adequate, but not abundant. It's fine for me, because mileage is my priority. The car tends to look boxy, but I do like the look. The car is comfortable and quiet, despite some of the prior reviews. Storage is amazing and the car is forgiving and handles like a much smaller vehicle. This is one vehicle that once I get in, I don't speed and enjoy the ride. I find myself not in a rush all the time. What I don't love: The plastic dashboard and squeezed in controls. My Infiniti had all the buttons in the world but was smartly designed. The buttons, especially the A/C controls, are squeezed in together, which requires excessive looking when driving. The plastic dashboard makes it look "childproof," which was not the look I was going for, as a single guy. But overall, I'm very satisfied!"

Exactly what we wanted...

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles great, lots of extra features"

Cons: "Small glove box"

"After my first SUV experience being an Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer that was nice on the inside but full of problems... We knew we had to look for a more reliable SUV. We originally went out looking for a 4Runner, but ended up falling in love with that way the Pilot drove and all of the extras. I average 19mpg, which is great compared to my old V8, and the Eco feature that cuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising is great and you can't even tell the truck is cutting out the extra two cylinders. I saw a lot of people commenting on how cheap the interior is, but I tend to disagree, for a Honda, the interior is quite nice considering they have always been known to put more effort into engine components. We love our comfy heated leather seats & how did I ever not have a back up cam, such a nice feature. The buttons for the climate control are a bit busy, but a/c and heat is automatic once you set your desired temp, so no need to mess around with it too often. The 2nd row seats recline, which I've never seen before, and my Son loves it on road trips. The 2nd row seats also slide forward super easy to access the 3rd row seating which is actually quite spacious. The amount of cargo space when the 3rd row folds down is awesome & they fold down pretty flush. The way the SUV handles compared to my Explorer is a dream, absolutely feels like you are driving a car, but the 4wd is there when you need it."

Roomy Mid-Sized SUV

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Quality, Value, and Room / Space"

Cons: "Just a little negative is comfort and design"

"Just like any Honda...the value, reliability and quality are present and accounted for! I traded-in a leased 2011 Toyota Rav4 Limited to a 2013 Honda LX to get more rear seat room for my growing son. While I was initially concerned over losing several features to keep my payment similar, it hasn't been much of a struggle because Honda does a good job...even on the base LX. There are certainly a few things I miss like Auto On lights and heated leather seats but that's not why I ever so slightly dinged the interior and comfort (i.e. an 8 out of 10 isn't bad). DESIGN - The molded plastic dash and cloth side door molding aren't quite the greatest...has a dry and brittle texture if that makes sense. Still, pretty good but could be better is all. Also, lots of buttons and knobs in the center console that take a little bit of getting used to. Not that the dash is overwhelming or not user friendly...just that it could be laid out a little bit better possibly. How I don't know. But the car I traded in had a lot more features (top of line vs. base model) and it seemed to flow more naturally I guess is the word I am looking for. Again, it's not complicated and not a huge ding. COMFORT - Honda seats are woven tightly with what seems like limited padding so the seat feels a bit firm and unforgiving. Keep in mind this is a base model so it's mostly to be expected. On the plus side is literally EVERYTHING else. The drive is very good. And the extra room (research showed this is the largest of the mid sized SUVs) is fantastic. And not just for my teenage son in the 2nd row but even for those of us upfront as there is more space left-to-right so it doesn't feel as cramped. I just don't think anyone is going to go wrong buying a Honda. Definitely not the 2013 Pilot!"

A solid alternative to a minivan

By on Monday, September 24, 2012

Pros: "Storage flexibility, overall utility, driveability"

Cons: "Can be truck-like, low fuel mileage, hard plastics"

"I have owned my 2010 Honda Pilot EX (with leather) for a little more than 2.5 years. In that time, it has served me well. The flexibility of storage, overall utility and comfort for my family of four has been outstanding. We have never had any mechanical problems with this vehicle, although the brakes have needed work since the rotors are prone to warping (don't let anyone use a air tools to tighten your lug nuts! Torque sticks, which they claim to use to prevent this, are simply no replacement for a real torque wrench). There is more than adequate power, and the handling is decent for such a big vehicle - although no one will confuse it for being a car - it handles more like a truck. Weak points in this vehicle include handling (more to the truck than car-like) and fuel mileage. The 2005 model that I owned prior to this vehicle was much better in these regards. It's also still consumed by hard plastics in the interior that are far below Honda's usual standard. On fuel economy - don't believe the EPA estimates, particularly if most of your driving is in stop-and-go traffic. Real world is more like 14-15 MPG, and with the relatively tiny gas tank, you'll be filling up less than 300 miles per tank. On the highway, it will do 20MPG - 21+ if you're going downhill with a tail wind. But this vehicle has a massive, upright facia that doesn't exactly cheat the wind, so you'll find that both your right foot and the cruise control will need to get into the gas to keep it at speed. I haven't done any towing with this vehicle, but it's setup from the factory to easily carry a bike carrier on the hitch, and that works well. There's a lot of thoughtful touches inside, although I truly wish they would have made room for more cup holders in the doors of the first row. Otherwise, I have no complaints with the utility and driveability factors. In particular, with the 4WD and factory tires (Goodyear Integrity) this thing is a beast in the snow. I no longer worry about whether I can get to work, even on poorly plowed roads. You can also easily get a 4x8 sheet of plywood into the trunk. I've even stuffed an entire twin bed in the back with no issues. This is by far my favorite vehicle for Home Depot trips and big box stores. You would not believe what you can fit and still drive the vehicle comfortably."

Great SUV for my Needs

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Very roomy and can hold 8 people"

Cons: "Miss having smart key with push button start."

"I bought the Touring model and it is very roomy and with SUV loaded with family of 4 and dog got 24 MPG on trip to Dallas from Houston. I seem to get better MPG than some other reviews but have a long ride to work and back and just yesterday was able to get 28 MPG back home from work. The ride is great and road noise seems minimal to me. There is lots of room for almost any item in the SUV and the features all work great. Best SUV I have owned at this point."

I LOVE my Honda Pilot

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pros: "sunroof, leather, rear camera, 8 passenger"

"I just bought a used 2011 Pilot and absolutely love it. I talked to many people that have a Honda Pilot and they love them. They also drive them for years, which was important to me. I like to keep my cars for 8-10 years. It wasn't easy to find a used Pilot. I was looking for an 8 passenger vehicle. There are not many on the market that are this size. I didn't want anything as big as the Suburban or Tahoe. The third row is very roomy. We had a child who is five feet tall in the back and there was plenty of leg room. My kids love sitting in the back. The sound system is fantastic. The sunroof is my favorite feature. I have the leather interior after trading in a car with cloth interior and like how easy it is to clean. The seats are heated which is a nice feature on a cold fall night. The car drives very well and is easy to park in tight spots. The rear camera is a wonderful feature. I have nothing by wonderful things to say about this car."

Love my Touring 4WD 2011 pilot

By on Monday, January 10, 2011

"in June 2010, I started researching into buying a SUV for the first time. As background, I have mostly driven German (Mercedes) and my wife had a Honda Accord (great car). At the time we owned a CL550 and the Accord. I resarched and tried Mercedes, Audi, Acura, Toyota, GM, and FORD SUV's. Based on quality and value, I narrowed it down to Acura and Honda Pilot. I noticed the 2011 Touring 4WD, dove it and fell in love with it and its features. Acura MDX was also great but I found PILOT to be more roomy and better looking for my taste(I am a guy and like a masculine looking SUV.). Then I searched all the S.F. bay area looking for a Black-on-balck Touring 2011 4WD. No one had it anywhere and those who promised to get me one, failed. What a disappointment. i could not even order one! (what was going on I said with these dealers). Then I found what I wanted with 7 options already on it maing it unique looking. Have had it for 6 months and the ride/handling on curves is fantastic and impressive for a SUV with that hight. It is very roomy. Have had 7 people on board a few times for stretches of 1.5 hour drives. The entertainment package is great and my kid loves it. I have driven it twice from S.F. to L.A./S.D. and back so far. For the first time in these trips I enjoyed every momet of the driving. The driver seat was honestly as good if not better than business class airplane seats. On the highway, I could get to 20.5 miles/g (round trip). In the city of San Francisco (which is all stops and trafic lights every 100 yards), I get 13/14. So perhaps a bit disappointed on miles/g but nothing unexpected given what it can carry (try carrying 7 people in two cars). People had complained about the control panel being confusing. Well it is less confusing than CL550 which has in excess of 70 controls on the panel. I guess people who upgrade more traditional cars with less crowded panels found it overwhelming but it is normal. I like the navigation interface using the control knob. Much better than push button controls. The ride is quiet and he same as quietness in CL550 (really). I like the power outlets, the USB, and other interface options. Really good for long hauls and travel. My only complain is the use of cheap plastic in the inside. I recommend to Honda to provide the Touring trim at least with a better quality interior. Also it will not hurt to add a couple of small panels (like Range Rover) to the front left and right (will make it even better looking). Overall I am happy and so far nothing to complain."

Engine Probelm in HONDA Pilot 2012

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Great price"

Cons: "Problem in engine when AC is on and car not moving"

"This is first summer for this car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning very loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. I am very surprise and upset that despite Honda Motor is aware about this issue till the date Honda did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. DO NOT BUY HONDA PILOT 2012 UNTIL THEY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM."

One amazing SUV!! Bravo 2012 Pilot

By on Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pros: "VALUE, SIZE, COMFORT, CONTROLS, ECONOMY"

Cons: "ENGINE COULD BE A LITTLE STRONGER, BUT ITS GOOD"

"I have owned several SUV's. 2011 Mercedes ML 350 Bluetec, 2012 BMW X5 D, Jeeps, and even a couple Acura MDX's. The pilot is absolutely the most favorite one that I have ever owned. The room is fantastic, and the storage compartments give you plenty of room for everything. Seats are comfortable and roomy, with plenty of room for any size person. The changes that Honda made for the 2012 Model year, including the new front and rear look, makes the vehicle look like a brand and not just a car with a square grill. I have had several Pilots as well, and have always loved them........ except the "square" front end box". The new look adds personality to what was already a good car. The new control's on the inside make it so easy to find Temp Control, Radio, along with Navigation, i pod and phone. Fuel economy is awesome for a product this size. Average around town of anywhere from 18.0 to 20.0 miles per gallon, and trip's are bringing me 22.0 to 24.0 miles per gallon. Transmission is silky smooth, and the car is pretty darn quite. The only change that I would like to see is Honda put a larger engine in the vehicle. Don't get me wrong...... the 3.5 does great, but they could get a little more horsepower out of the same motor, as they have done with Acura."

I love this car (SUV)!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, lots of space, and safe"

Cons: "Would always love better gas mileage!"

"I tell my husband all the time, "I love this car!" I love how it drives/handles, I feel very safe in it, I love the height/visibility, and I love the space for my kids. Strollers fit easily in the back and we can haul the kids, the dog, and all of our gear. Before this, I had two different Mercedes and then we had kids. We had a Jeep with a V8 that I enjoyed driving once strollers entered the picture, but the gas mileage was out of control. We got rid of that and bought this and could not be happier with the Pilot. Oh, I also love the fact that it takes regular gas and the maintenance compared to the German cars is wonderfully priced. I will drive these for a long time."

A good no-nonsense family SUV

By on Thursday, August 09, 2012

Pros: "Practical, Great Value, Timeless Exterior Design"

Cons: "less-than-precise steering"

"* Great MPG for an SUV this size -- drove from SoCal to Yosemite and it delivered 26 MPG (with 5 people and full cargo). * Functional and versatile interior. * Low humming (annoying) background noise when AC is on. * Intermittent low vibration observed (I think comes from the engine compartment) when stop at traffic light (i.e. still in gear, with break depressed). * Overall, quite pleased with the car so far. * Will review again after a year or so."