• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2010 Honda Pilot

Based on 276 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

"I have owned 4 Hondas over the years and switched to the 2011 4runner limited and wished I had purchased the pilot, I traded it in for the Honda and love every thing about it. I use it to tow a trailer and it has better power than the 4runner had. I will never buy anything but Honda from here on, lesson learned!"

Less Power than the Toyota 3.5 V6

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "Price is good. Steers good."

Cons: "Steers a bit hard in Parking Lots. Shifts hard"

"I have been a Toyota buyer for the last 15 years. My Pilot is my first Honda. Nice solid SUV. Drives Great. But, it lacks a bit of power. Especially when you run with the Air Conditioning. I "Bogs down" when I start from a Stop Sign when the Air is on. Also, I can feel the Transmission Shift Hard when the Electronic Cylinders system goes from 4 cyl to 6 cyl. I don't like that system. Too late now, I'm stuck with it for at least a year. I'll probably go back to Toyota. They are powerful and Shift like a "dream"."

Perfect for a family who doesn't want a minivan!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Room/Comfort, Smooth Ride, Great standard features"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance"

"2011 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring This has all the amenities needed for a family with children who travels. DVD player, front/rear climate controls, fold flat seats, leather, backup camera and more... On average, I trade my vehicles in around every 6-9 months. In 10 years, I have had 20 vehicles (including a few motorcycles). I traded a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax for the Pilot and made the best purchase to date. I have had no mechanical issues and the drive is very comfortable. This vehicle will not be traded, but kept for many years."

Exactly what we wanted...

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles great, lots of extra features"

Cons: "Small glove box"

"After my first SUV experience being an Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer that was nice on the inside but full of problems... We knew we had to look for a more reliable SUV. We originally went out looking for a 4Runner, but ended up falling in love with that way the Pilot drove and all of the extras. I average 19mpg, which is great compared to my old V8, and the Eco feature that cuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising is great and you can't even tell the truck is cutting out the extra two cylinders. I saw a lot of people commenting on how cheap the interior is, but I tend to disagree, for a Honda, the interior is quite nice considering they have always been known to put more effort into engine components. We love our comfy heated leather seats & how did I ever not have a back up cam, such a nice feature. The buttons for the climate control are a bit busy, but a/c and heat is automatic once you set your desired temp, so no need to mess around with it too often. The 2nd row seats recline, which I've never seen before, and my Son loves it on road trips. The 2nd row seats also slide forward super easy to access the 3rd row seating which is actually quite spacious. The amount of cargo space when the 3rd row folds down is awesome & they fold down pretty flush. The way the SUV handles compared to my Explorer is a dream, absolutely feels like you are driving a car, but the 4wd is there when you need it."

Don't buy it if you want a nice looking interior

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

"I bought this car new and now have 50,000 miles on it. I gave it a poor review because the interior is so horrible that I do not even like to drive it. Since the first week I owned it the interior became completely stained with water marks. If you open the doors when it is raining, the raindrops will leave permanent marks on the seats. I have three kids that are only allowed to drink water in the car. The condensation from their water bottles even left water marks on the door panels near the cup holders. I contacted my dealer several times and then finally called the Honda Corp. The representative from Honda told me not to try to clean it as even water will stain terribly. He then said there is nothing that can be done about the water marks all over the seats and door panels. I am embarrassed to even have anyone ride in the car. My dealer suggested I buy a brand new Pilot with leather seats to solve the problem! If you think you might ever want to get in or out of this vehicle while it is raining, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! There are multiple online forums documenting this issue with the interior seats of the Pilot and the Ridgeline."

Great Vehicle, Great Value.

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, great MPG, great value for the $"

Cons: "plastic feeling on the interior, black helps"

"I grew tired of the cost of owning my GL-450 and decided to look at the Pilot. I thought at first that I was going down in vehicle. I have found that I enjoy the room, the ride, and more than ever the cost of owning this vehicle. Great MPG for the size. I am very happy with my new vehicle."

I max out the pilot

By on Friday, July 12, 2013

Pros: "8 comfortable seats, 5000 lb towing capacity"

Cons: "Not free"

"I bought the Pilot EX-L AWD and it has worked out for every demand I have for it. I have 6 kids and everyone has a reasonably comfortable seat with all 8 people in the car with a stroller in the trunk. This includes 2 car seats and a booster. Front passenger leg room is great as I am 6'1"+. The stereo is better than my 06 MDX. The Aux input allows smart phone to switch between GPS and music and phone so the NAV package might sync via Bluetooth but that is a pretty minor perk for several thousand more. The center console is more useable than any other vehicle I have owned. Towing: I pull an 18 ft bow-rider. You can feel it is back there but there are no problems with highway or city handling and I have never slipped on the ramp. Clearance and hitch height is also very good. Seats fold down easily. Extra room in the floor of the trunk. Having the separate flip up back window allows loading and unloading of the trunk without having everything fall out, all over the driveway. So this vehicle pretty much does it all and does it well. No mechanical problems at all, but only 2 years old. When I bought the pricing was a good 8 grand better than the highlander. Reliability ratings pretty much knock this out of the park over everything else with comparable room and gas mileage."

Great Vehicle and Family Car - Super Safe -

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cons: "Little under powered for towing"

"Overall my wife and I love this vehicle. We will probably always have one in the household. The drive is smooth and noise is minimal. Lots of room for two small children and the third row seat will allow for separation as they get older. Maintenance cost are what I would expect for a larger vehicle. (Larger tires and brakes cost more...) Good looking and versatile."

Great Vehicle and Family Car - Super Safe -

By on Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Cons: "Little under powered for towing"

Great Value for your money

By on Sunday, July 07, 2013

"The best SUV ever owned by me. Drives great. Very Comfortable."

Excellent choice for growing family of 5

By on Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pros: "child access, ride comfort, looks great!!!"

Cons: "could use a little more HP for high traffic areas"

"I recently purchased a touring pilot and have no regrets. I needed something for my wife and I and our three kids to get around comfortably and the pilot is definitely the answer. My kids love it and are very comfortable getting in and out and with their seating area. My wife and I love driving it, although I would agree it could have a little more horsepower, for the most part it's nimble enough to get in and out of traffic, but could be a little more responsive at the accelerator. The car drives fantastic and handles well, especially on the road system we have in the south. It makes for a pleasant drive daily. I would highly recommend this vehicle for it's user friendliness, well defined control layout and ease of access in and out of the vehicle. In fact the vehicle is so impressive inside and out that a good friend of mine took one look and test drive, of my pilot, and bought it the next day!!!!"

So far so good

By on Monday, June 03, 2013

Pros: "Price starts at $28000 - $39000"

Cons: "The water rolls off hood funny when rains ."

"It was between highlander,pathfinder,ridgeline,Tacoma,or pilot.we chose the 2013 pilot.Drives great .Tight turns,great gas mileage so far.Exl model with leather and sunroof.Very little road noise.back up camera is helpful.would definitely buy again.be sure you hold their feet to the fire when you deal with the salesman and ask for manufactures invoice."

Just hit 195,000 miles!

By on Friday, May 24, 2013

Pros: "Roomy, easy to drive, low maintenance"

Cons: "Wish the gas mileage was a little better"

"I love my Honda Pilot...it's a 2007 and I just hit 195,000. Considering getting a new one because I "anticipate" issues at this mileage; but, everything still is GREAT!"

MPG

By on Friday, May 10, 2013

Pros: "nice drive."

Cons: "mpg and cargo space"

"MPG in this is bad. Our full size truck get better MPG's."

WOnderful trouble free work horse and dsily driver

By on Friday, April 26, 2013

Pros: "easy highway ans local driver"

Cons: "gas milage"

"great daily driver"

Dependable, efficient, good looking, roomy, But

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Nice looking reliable"

Cons: "Only 5 speed tranny, remove start? change holder?"

"My review is for the technical type person; take it for what its worth. It is rather critical. I am not bashing my fellow Pilot owners if you love your Pilot and feel compelled to defend it at all costs; I am not like that. I do not have buyer remorse, but some things were lacking after I bought. All vehicles are designed and I figured the brilliant Honda engineers would have added the features I list in my cons. I will make my comparison to my old SUV which was a 2005 Suburban 1500 Z71 4x4.(yes I know I am comparing a full size 18 MPG max SUV but this is a reasonable comparison) Forgive me if I only list cons. You and I know the pros which is why we bought a Pilot CONS: 5 speed instead of 6 speed like the rest of the industry, this causes a 1000 rpm drop in the 2-3 or 3-4 shift. Honda, why not upgrade your tranny? I suspect the outdated tranny results in the dismal gas mileage. No remote start at least on the EX-L. Honda how can you skimp on a $50 electronic device. No change holder? Isn't this a no brainer? Top Heavy feel at highway speeds; ...the Pilot lets you know to be careful when making lane changes at 60 MPH. I suspect this may be due to undersized anti-sway bars but I am not sure. This is a comparison to the full size 8 passenger Suburban which is probably not a fair comparison given Suburban's wider stance and longer wheel base. Maintenance seems difficult, even an oil change. It doesn't look like the engineers thought much about the mechanic who has to work on the vehicle. Stupid method to engage 4WD = You have to shift into a low gear and then press the 4WD button? What if I need 4WD at speeds above 25 mph? I really did not pay attention to this aspect of the Pilot until later. I thought all modern 4WD vehicles allow you to drive at speeds up to 50 mph. Not the Honda Pilot. Even if you start out in 4WD, once you shift into drive at highway speeds, the smart engineers at HOnda designed your Pilot to shift out of 4WD. The Driver Information Center lacks the ability to easily change settings like when doors lock. The vehicle feels under-powered at all times. While the economy bar and eco button are nice, I find I am not rewarded for driving as efficient as possible. Yes I am complaining about my average city + combined mileage, which is 19.5 mpg. OK here is one positive in the midst of all this carnage; I drove from Atlantic City to the Poconos, all highway miles. I reset the trip odometer which also resets the mpg and I saw for the first time sustained gas mileage of 24.5 mpg at 65 to 70 miles per hour. Towing? Nobody at local Honda dealers knows anything about towing or electric brakes. The manual says you can tow, you have to dig real hard into the owners manual to find information about plugging in a wiring harness and electric brakes. Dealer, while willing to sell me a new SUV almost cautioned me to not treat the Pilot like it was a SUV. I read the owners manual and I am aware the max rated towing is 5000#. Back to the tranny: I think first gear should be geared lower for towing situations,...but alas Honda did not really envision the Pilot to tow anything more than a Jetski. Back window has 2 giant washers at the top. When you go to wash and squeegee the back glass, the big washers get in the way. I never had that problem before."

Outstanding Choice

By on Monday, April 08, 2013

Pros: "Smooth, Quiet, Very Comfortable, Giant Cargo Area"

Cons: "Too many buttons for climate control"

"I bought my Pilot as a certified pre owned 2 years ago and it is a fantastic vehicle. It is a wonderful driver and great on long trips. After 45000 miles it has very few rattles and drives like a brand new vehicle. Smooth and quiet with plenty of power and all of the seats in the back fold flat for maximum cargo. The seats needed to fold flat for my job and I literally looked at all SUV's in its class and it has by far the best cargo area. Plus my dog loves it back there. My only complaint is too many buttons for the AC. It is virtually impossible to adjust the controls without looking. Best just to leave in on AUTO and let the climate control do its job. For those who have never owned a Honda, it truly is a different experience. The dealers treat you better than any non luxury brand on the market. It is no wonder that Honda can sell plain looking cars and have such loyalty from its customers."

Roomy Mid-Sized SUV

By on Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Pros: "Quality, Value, and Room / Space"

Cons: "Just a little negative is comfort and design"

"Just like any Honda...the value, reliability and quality are present and accounted for! I traded-in a leased 2011 Toyota Rav4 Limited to a 2013 Honda LX to get more rear seat room for my growing son. While I was initially concerned over losing several features to keep my payment similar, it hasn't been much of a struggle because Honda does a good job...even on the base LX. There are certainly a few things I miss like Auto On lights and heated leather seats but that's not why I ever so slightly dinged the interior and comfort (i.e. an 8 out of 10 isn't bad). DESIGN - The molded plastic dash and cloth side door molding aren't quite the greatest...has a dry and brittle texture if that makes sense. Still, pretty good but could be better is all. Also, lots of buttons and knobs in the center console that take a little bit of getting used to. Not that the dash is overwhelming or not user friendly...just that it could be laid out a little bit better possibly. How I don't know. But the car I traded in had a lot more features (top of line vs. base model) and it seemed to flow more naturally I guess is the word I am looking for. Again, it's not complicated and not a huge ding. COMFORT - Honda seats are woven tightly with what seems like limited padding so the seat feels a bit firm and unforgiving. Keep in mind this is a base model so it's mostly to be expected. On the plus side is literally EVERYTHING else. The drive is very good. And the extra room (research showed this is the largest of the mid sized SUVs) is fantastic. And not just for my teenage son in the 2nd row but even for those of us upfront as there is more space left-to-right so it doesn't feel as cramped. I just don't think anyone is going to go wrong buying a Honda. Definitely not the 2013 Pilot!"

Great car!

By on Monday, February 11, 2013

"I really enjoy this car, however I have been a little annoyed with the # of recalls since owning it. Time isn't a luxury I can afford and having a one year old it's been difficult to find a time to take it in to have the recalls checked out/fixed."

Great SUV for my Needs

By on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Pros: "Very roomy and can hold 8 people"

Cons: "Miss having smart key with push button start."

"I bought the Touring model and it is very roomy and with SUV loaded with family of 4 and dog got 24 MPG on trip to Dallas from Houston. I seem to get better MPG than some other reviews but have a long ride to work and back and just yesterday was able to get 28 MPG back home from work. The ride is great and road noise seems minimal to me. There is lots of room for almost any item in the SUV and the features all work great. Best SUV I have owned at this point."

Honda doing what they do best...

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Quality, Fun to drive, Dependable and best deal."

Cons: "MPG, Control buttons, No HID,"

"Excellent driving vehicle, superb handling and the Pilot is a quality SUV for the money. They are just a bit behind in the technology department with the competition. They need to offer more safety features on the touring model (ie: blind spot indicator, HID headlights and easier controls). And I don't understand why they only put two sensors on the front bumper corners, it should have four with such a large hood. The one that annoys me the most is when going in reverse, only one of the mirrors tilt down. I am pretty picky, but could not afford the vehicles that meet all my desires, but overall the Honda Pilot is a Best Pick. My mpg is not so good, I get 18-19 mpg and I drive like a grandpa. I can't even get 20 mpg with cruise control. But, my biggest reason for getting a heavy SUV is the safety aspect for my family if involved in an accident."

My very favorite

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2012

"I have owned many vehicles in my life and this is by far my favorite. I love almost everything about it. It's a tank in the snow, it's so solid and fun to drive for a large vehicle and it fits my family of 5 comfortably with plenty of extra room. I also love all the bells and whistles that come on the Touring. I really didn't think I cared about having a built in GPS but now I wouldn't get one without it. The only drawbacks are it doesn't get great gas mileage but that's to be expected, what big vehicles do? I get around 19-21 mpg with a mix of city and highway so it's still not bad. With the same driving my Accord gets a consistant 30.5 mpg so I drive that when I need to save on gas. The other small negative is the dash could be made of a nicer material where the controls are. Wood grain or anything other than plastic would have been better. The leather could be a little higher quality also. At almost 100K miles, it looks smells and drives brand new, the only thing that's not working correctly at this point is the power mirrors. I will be replacing it with another one after another 100k miles. I'm hard to please when it comes to vehicles so I really don't understand the negative reviews. Compare for yourself, there's really no comparison."

GREAT SUV WITH A FEW FLAWS (EX-L AWD)

By on Saturday, October 20, 2012

Pros: "MPG, Comfort, Reliability"

Cons: "Angled cargo space, 2nd row hard to fold"

"Quite happy with the overall performance and quality of this vehicle. My average MPG is 18.9 (about 80% city). This is an AWD vehicle so I'm quite impressed with the fuel consumption. There's a little bit of wind and road noise but they're almost non-existent when the music is on. The engine could be a bit bigger for the size/weight of the car but then again I don't want to sacrifice fuel consumption to get a few horsepower. The third row is comfortable even for full size adults. I'm 5'8" and I still have about 2 inches of extra leg room. Now the negatives: You need some force to push the second row forward to access the third row. NO one hand operation here. The cargo space, although quite huge when the third row is down, angles down so things have the tendency to fall down or roll. Be careful when opening the trunk, you might end up picking broken stuff off the concrete. It's not a perfect vehicle but then again I didn't pay $50G's for it so I'm very satisfied with this purchase."

Worst vehicle I ever owned !!!

By on Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pros: "NONE"

Cons: "Expence is not justified by quality ."

"The brakes are soft and lack response to foot pressure . The engine is underpowered for the vehicle weight , which will eventually result in shorter engine life . The transmission has excessive lag . No engine transmission selection . Honda dictates what the consumer will may not want ."

Great

By on Thursday, September 27, 2012

"I just got this SUV and I love it. Tight and rides great Best SUV I have ever had. Love it"

See if you qualify for