• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2010 Honda Pilot

Based on 286 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Road noise very bad, 19mpg best it gets. Combined

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Good room all around ,good in snow,Honda Quality"

Cons: "Road noise,poor mileage,"

"Center storage worthless ,can not see your things to get. Glove box tiny. Needs to have more power for a 6. Roof rack not included"

Outstanding high quality SUV.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "quality, price, internal comfort, standard options"

"This is my first Honda purchase and am very pleased with the Pilot, especially with its quality. It is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, has plenty of interior room. Everything in the vehicle works. I like the boxy look which reflects practicality and functionality. With 6 grandchildren, this vehicle is ideal."

Bought a new 2011 Touring. It now has 58000 miles

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Body Style is dated, needs some new features"

"This Pilot has been trouble free for currently 58000 miles, no issues !! Michelin tires wear well but have excessive road noise. I still have original tires & they should easily run another 20000 miles. Other than normal maintenance it has never been in the shop. I love the VCM & always try to drive with the ECO lite on."

Very nice comfortable drive

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "quality price holding value"

Cons: "touring w/ nav shld come w/ extras tow ball kit..."

"This is my third Pilot and nw there are six of them between my wifes family and mine. Everyone that I know that has one loves them."

Not getting my money's worth.

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage."

Cons: "Fit not up to stds. Braking on downhill! Aye!"

"Nice ride. Navigation not easy to operate. Voice command can't understand what you say. braking on steep downhill - front end shakes and vibrates, can't apply brakes hard."

Great vehicle for the money

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

"I purchased a 2014 have already put 10000 mi. on it ,went to Florida and back averaged around 21 MPG,NICE RIDE AND COMFORT,since owning have averged 18.9 MPG ABOUT 50/50 DRIVING.I traded a 2013 CRV with 24000 mi. in for the pilot to get more cargo space and,comfort,and it accomplised that mission,the CRV is also a great vehicle, but not enough space for my needs.I plan on driving this pilot for a long time,it can do it all with the 3rd row seating and towing capacity and the MPG not that bad for the size of vehicle,it also does very well in the IL. snow."

My favorite vehicle, ever!!!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, space, ride quality, smooth transmission!"

"My first Pilot was an '05 model, that I had for 7 years and 100K miles. Now I have a new 2014 EX 4WD that I love already. It's more hi-tech than my first Pilot, with a Bluetooth hands-free link and USB/MP3 ports. It's got the same strong, smooth engine and transmission as my first Pilot. Same spacious interior and cargo area. Same wonderful, smooth ride. A significantly quieter interior that blocks out almost all road noise. An even more beautiful exterior, that is unlike most other modern SUVs that have an ugly, glorified station wagon look. The same solid, very tough build. I love everything about this Pilot and if I were Honda, would not change a thing. It's a terrific vehicle!!!!"

Outstanding SUV, best one I've owned

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Would definitely buy another one"

Fantastic multu-purpose vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, fun, versatile, pretty, practical"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Had this SUV for 6 months of touring western US. Ran great in desert, beachside, and in mountains. Incredible space, and comfort for family of 7: 5 adults + 2 kids. We all fit and were very comfortable and all our "stuff" for a week in Yellowstone fit. Lots of nice extras like plenty of cup holders, lights for each row, hidden storage spaces, electric outlets, ... Ran great, got 18 mpg fully loaded, 4WD got us easily through some snow issues and mountain passes. Now setting it to tow a travel trailer - can tow a max of 4,,,,500 lbs. with its 4WD. Looks great, super visibility for driver, great stereo- played our iPods and we could adjust it play to only in front, all over, or only back. Same with AC and heater - each section of car could adjust to their needs. An A+++ ranking from our family. Mahalo Honda!"

needs captian seats in front

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "nds captain seat in front for the arm rest in"

"great car i would buy another pilot but no style change so am going toyota"

A good reliable car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Good solid workhorse"

Cons: "Road noise"

"It is good and solid, with a comfortable ride and plenty of pep. The only negative I can think of is the very annoying, excessive road noise."

Disappointing for the price paid.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Very disappointing gas mileage, both city and hwy. 18-19/22-23 Computer system is difficult to use and looks like a last minute add on. Nav. system is very difficult to operate and not up to date. Need touch system Back floor is slanted to the rear so that items slide out. Oil change at 3750 is very outdated. Most new cars are between 5000 and 7500. Downshift to 3rd gear is outdated. Most new cars downshift with touch of the brake. Sound system is adequate but not premium. Transmission should be a six speed. Comments are on a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with all available options."

Too Many Issues

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cons: "Brakes are very low; motor races while braking"

"Only had the car for a few months, with just over 3,000 miles. The brakes are very low. Every few days, sporadically while I'm at a stop the engine will start to race and the vehicle wants to take off. I have to put it into park and rev the engine a few times to make is stop. It's been back to Honda multiple times and they say that can't find anything wrong and that's just the way the brakes are. Also within the first month I had it, it was recalled for a possible piston malfunction that if seizes while driving could get you into an accident. They did take the SUV right in and gave us a loner for three days. I usually don't write reviews but I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues, especially the motor racing while at a stop. We're looking to trade it in some time this year if these things aren't taken care of."

Not my first choice next time

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride and handles well"

Cons: "Lags with overdrive on. Fair gas mileage."

"Shift handle in bad place. The gas saving overdrive is awful. Gas mileage is only fair. Car lags quite a bit and this becomes very annoying. Sync system is not up to today's standards either. They could learn a lot from Ford on this. It is not user friendly at all. I could go on but I won't. The actual car is comfortable to ride in as well as the seats. I guess I just expected more from the Pilot. We had a Ridgeline and we absolutely loved it. Boy was I surprised how different they are."

Pretty good

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Practical, roomy, lots of seating"

Cons: "Lots of plastic inside, gas mileage is OK"

"It's a reliable, practical vehicle. Being a Honda, however, the little things inside are just not always the greatest quality. Overall, it's a pretty good vehicle."

Love it

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Safety, look, gas milage"

Cons: "nothing!"

"I love my pilot and when It hits the dirt, if it ever does I will get another one! I love it, I have been in an accident where I t boned someone and it totaled there Toyota highlander and only messed up my bumper. . I feel so safe in this SUV and will never own anything but this!!!"

2014 Pilot a Major Disappointment

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "seats"

Cons: "econ mode, acceleration, braking, interior"

"There are some high point to the car but the transmission shudder/rumble you experience any where from 20-70mph is a major disappointment. I also had to have my brakes fixed after 100 miles because there was a lack of pressure from the master cylinder and the brakes did not catch until pressing in 3inches or more. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone!!!! The issue has been reported to Honda (major attitude) and this is an acceptable experience for a brand new SUV. My wife owns a 2012 CRV which is a nice vehicle all around...."

Great for room - not a smooth ride

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Great to look at and very roomy"

Cons: "Driving is not smooth - noisy"

"I bought a 2014 Pilot in Nov 2013. Love the look of the Pilot inside and out - HATE the way it rides. The car gets stuck in a low "revving" noise with vibrations under your feet & in the steering wheel while you are driving between 25-50 mph. You either have to take your foot off the gas or accelerate a little to get it "unstuck" and then it just happens again when you get to the next level. I was told by Honda that this is part of the eco_system in the car. It is most definitely not a smooth and comfortable drive. At the gas station, the plastic covering attached to the gas door fell off after I opened it. It just gets snapped back on like a lego toy. Not a huge deal but definitely just adds to the dislike of this car. Also, having battery issues after owning it for 2 months."

Best vehicle I have yet to own!

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel and fun to drive!"

Cons: ""ECO" engine feature to conserve MPG,"

"This is the perfect SUV that comes with all of the Honda reliability one could ask for. It works great for hauling kids and our large lab, and for towing. I recently moved from AZ to VA and had to tow the largest U-Haul trailer around, and it did great! Everything is perfect about this SUV, and it would get 10/10 for everything except the "ECO" engine feature. Honda kind of fumbled this one for all of their vehicles. There is the occasional "shutter" when it switches on and off at certain speeds."

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cons: "Adjusting to width, instument controls"

"We have had our 2012 Pilot Touring w/RES & Nav since November 2011. It has been an incredible car/truck. It is very easy to drive as the steering is responsive and smooth. The engine is no maintenance and stong (not throaty or truck-like)...we had used synthetic oil since mile #1. We have black on black...so, it shows extremely well, almost luxury when detailed. We couldn't be happier, as its the wife's car and the boys thoroughly enjoy the space and conveniences. The cargo room is more than you would expect (I have easily moved furniture and a full size bed w/box spring just by putting the second row down). The toughest adjustment was getting used to the instrument controls/RES/radio controls and getting comfortable with the width of the Pilot (it is wider than the standard SUV). I highly recommend this car for those that don't want the stereotype of a minivan, but the conveniences of one. It has the reliability of a Honda, quality of a Lexus, and size of a HMMWV."

I love driving it!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration, Spacious, Comfort"

"I've always had SUVs and my 2009 Pilot is my favorite vehicle to drive (right after my S2000). I owned Ford Explorer, Ford Sport Track,Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty all V6 before. If you are like me and are always on the go driving fast and fairly aggressive - you will not be disappointed with handling, acceleration, braking and stability of this vehicle in any conditions including NYC traffic and steep mountain terrain.I also like the transmission and the D3 lock comes handy in the mountains. I will trade fuel efficiency for power and responsiveness any day. It is an SUV V6, so don't expect miracles - it burns gas just like all others, but less then V8. It prefers REGULAR GAS not premium! All seats go flat, so there is plenty of cargo - you can easily camp in it. and if you need seats - it has 8 - even 3rd row seats are comfortable. My boyfriend is 6'5" and he doesn't feel cramped. Driver seat has many adjustments. I have to mention small turning radius; it makes U-turns and parking a breeze combined with rear camera - you can fit in tightest spots. I'm snow sports enthusiast, so I also invested in SNOW TIRES (michelin X-ice2) and my Pilot got me to the mountains in the worst of conditions, leaving others stuck. It is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE vehicle, so it is great in snow. I was concerned that I can't manually choose 4x4,and have to rely on the computer adding more torque to rear wheels when needed, but now I love it. There is also "extra torque" button, but in past 3 winters I had to use it only once when I was plowed in in 2' of snow and refused to dig. Keep feeding it regularly with synthetic oil and it will run great with almost no maintenance. I installed alarm and remote starter and I noticed more drain on battery, but had no problems since I bought a new one after 4 years. It is not trail rated vehicle, so don't go crazy off-roading with it - replacing drive shaft costs $1000 - lesson learned. If you have kids - you will love rear DVD option - wireless headphones keep kids happy and front seat passengers able to listen to radio - or you'll be the cool aunt like me. My next car will definitely be another Pilot."

Dissapointed

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Storage, comfortable seats, navigation"

Cons: "Reliability, fit and finish, lousy MPG,"

"This is my 2nd Pilot. I traded in my 2006 EXL for a 2013 Touring 4x4 in May 2013 and have had several problems with it. I had to replace the power steering pump (recall) within 5 days of ownership, the rear engine mount was defective and had to be replaced(required American Honda to get this repaired). Now, I have constant vibration thru the seats (not the steering wheel) from 35 MPH - 55MPH. Very annoying and uncomfortable. There is a known issue with VCM vibration in Pilots and Odyessey's which Honda is yet to resolve. However, the vibration I am experiencing goes beyond the VCM issue. Since I mostly drive at 40-45 MPH I'll probably take a loss on the car and sell it...."