2009 Honda Pilot

Based on 324 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

All-around excellent value and fun to drive

By on Saturday, December 24, 2011

Pros: "Good value, reliable, enjoyable to drive."

Cons: "Ventilation controls could be a easier to use."

"We have owned this vehicle for nine months, and the more I drive it, the more I like it. We drive in traffic and it's nice to be able to see what's going on in front of you. It's plenty roomy, maneuverable, and fun. The ventilation controls are different than our Accord, so I always have to look, but there are numerous options. Overall, I like driving it better than any vehicle we have owned, including our Maxima station wagon and either of our Accords, which I really enjoyed. We've driven nothing but Hondas for 12 years, and they have been unfailingly reliable so far."

overrated

By on Friday, December 11, 2015

Pros: "rear cup holders,tow hitch,latch system"

Cons: "poor braking,really bad blind spot,mileage"

"I originally bought a factory brand new(at the time)2012 Honda Odyssey thinking it would be great for all the road trips we'll be taking. After 3 years and not so many road trips(just one), got tired of having the Mommy Van and wanted something more Colorado winter-weather friendly. So we traded it in for a brand new 2015 Pilot and thought, 'This is the one'. pros: Its bigger, sits higher. If you have kids, there is the car seat latch-system in all seats for middle and back row. DVD fold down for the kiddos during long road trips. Not so many buttons on the key remote like the Odyssey to have to double check what you're pressing. Has towing capabilities or for those of you who want to just put a hitch on it to protect your bumper from someone backing into you in a parking lot. Middle seat is pretty roomy for an adult sitting between a car seat and a booster seat-legroom-wise was like I was sitting in the front seat, comfortable. Hidden storage is nice- minus the glove box(small). Can hold a full-sized spare. The kids viewing mirror is in a better position that is closer to the rear view mirror. Several ways to open/close the rear lift gate with button on drivers door, lift gate and button on the key. The rear cargo area also has access from the glass section if you don't want to open the entire lift gate. cons: The alloy rims stick out outward rather than in, unlike most make/models. Something you take for granted until you need to get as close as you can and there's a high curb. Not enough cup holders in the front(2), so if you have a water bottle while you and your passenger have soda cups, chances are its going to end up rolling on the floor every time you turn. Front seat flooring has no separator from the seat behind(middle row). So if you have a water bottle, baby bottle, toy ball rolling around and you don't know(from kids) chances are it could possibly make it way under your brake/accelerator pedal. I've found a large bouncing ball from a vending machine tucked behind my (Husky- for snow)mat once. Bad blind spot rear passenger corner. Poor braking, takes A LOT, A LOT of getting used to, my husband hates driving the Pilot because of this. The drivers seat adjuster raises the leg portion higher than the butt part of the chair and I'm 5'5, so I cant sit as high to view the front portion of the car as I'd like to(good for really tall people I suppose).If you're not limber, getting in the third row might be a challenge if you have grand parents riding with you and car seats in the middle row. Legroom in third row is a bit cramped on the legs for adults. Lastly, the gas mileage is no joke. In the summer I can get 23 mpg, winter 20/21 mpg"

Purchased new-excessive dash noise and rattles

By on Sunday, January 10, 2016

Pros: "Stereo system"

Cons: "Rattles, squeaks, interior noises"

"2012 4wd Touring model purchased new and likely will be my last Honda vehicle purchase. The dash has excessive rattles, vibrations, and noise. Multiple warranty service calls resulting in the entire dash being removed. Dealer discovered numerous loose nuts and washers had not been tightened during assemble to secure the dash which were corrected. Now the dash squeaks excessively but not a metallic vibration but that of rubbing plastic. Horrible ongoing experience. Driver seat heater would turn on by itself and then unable to turn off and failed on several occasions. Finally fixed after several service calls. Rear seat belts don't fully retract and metal buckle rattles against plastic side panel. Poor engineering and poor quality control. My diesel Ford truck is dead silent in the cab compared to the Pilot."

We Love Our 2012 Pilot

By on Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Pros: "priced right, decent gas mileage, kid friendly"

Cons: "power mirror issues, minor recalls"

From Delivery, To Snow, To Hauling The Xmas Tree...

"I've been a member of "Team Honda" since I turned 16, and this is my 7th Honda purchase or lease. Hands down, it is the best vehicle I'e ever owned. For families, it's a great Dad or Mom's car and convenient enough to haul almost anything you can think of (within reasonable expectations for a SUV). We opted for the entertainment package vs. the touring model - our kids love controlling the DVD player with their own remote & wearing the wireless headsets which allows us to enjoy our own music during road trips. With the 3rd row down, which is the configuration we choose most of the time, there's a ton of room in the rear area for sports equipment, beach chairs, etc. My only gripes about the truck, even though they are minor, are: the power mirrors started "jump" when they were adjusted after only about 20K miles (but they still work & Honda did nothing), there were 2 recalls (but they were promptly fixed by Honda), and our positive battery cable started to corrode (but it wasn't that expensive of a fix). During the time we've owned our Pilot, we've moved from a hot to very cold climate and back to hot again - and the truck handled it like a champ. I'd strongly suggest this car to anyone looking for a great SUV that, with regular maintenance, will perform well for years to come. If the latest models are anything like the 2012s, you can't go wrong."

From Delivery, To Snow, To Hauling The Xmas Tree...

Economical HMMWV!!

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Pros: "Reliability, Ease to drive, looks, everything"

Cons: "Adjusting to width, instument controls"

"We have had our 2012 Pilot Touring w/RES & Nav since November 2011. It has been an incredible car/truck. It is very easy to drive as the steering is responsive and smooth. The engine is no maintenance and stong (not throaty or truck-like)...we had used synthetic oil since mile #1. We have black on black...so, it shows extremely well, almost luxury when detailed. We couldn't be happier, as its the wife's car and the boys thoroughly enjoy the space and conveniences. The cargo room is more than you would expect (I have easily moved furniture and a full size bed w/box spring just by putting the second row down). The toughest adjustment was getting used to the instrument controls/RES/radio controls and getting comfortable with the width of the Pilot (it is wider than the standard SUV). I highly recommend this car for those that don't want the stereotype of a minivan, but the conveniences of one. It has the reliability of a Honda, quality of a Lexus, and size of a HMMWV."

GREAT FOR THE PRICE

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "GREAT DEAL"

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE IS VERY POOR"

"CONSIDERING THE COMPETITION IS 20K MORE..THIS IS AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE."

good suv

By on Friday, October 07, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "you could include more accessories for 30K"

"increase power by 20 HP, increase EPA in Highway, improve the aerodynamic in the front and it will be perfect."

By on Thursday, October 14, 2010

By on Monday, February 08, 2010

I love my 2010 Touring Pilot.

By on Saturday, December 05, 2009

"I moved from a 2004 Honda Pilot to the Touring Pilot for 2010. What a car, M.B. nor Lexus has anything over the Pilot. Runs and performs great, the ride is like a world class car. Ergonomics are awsome, the GPS system/Bluetooth is great. Regarding some reviews stating the steering tilts to the right, it does, ever so slightly though and not an issue for me. Fuel economy is not as good as my 2004 pilot, I thought with the VMC would make up for the larger size Pilot, but it does not. This is a great car."

2010 Pilot EX-L

By on Monday, November 16, 2009

"I absolutely love this SUV. It has great head and leg room. It has a very good list of options for this model. The vehicle feels very solid, but the ride is very comfortable for an SUV. It is slightly wider than I expected, which took me a little while to get used to when it comes to parking it in the center of the marked lines. The only thing I have yet to figure out is where Honda gets the estimated 23 MPH highway. The best I've seen to date is 21."

3rd Honda: Up to the Odyssey?

By on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pros: "Ride, leather, room, storage."

Cons: "Paint, rotors"

"Drove my Odyssey 122,000 without a repair or replacing brake pads(did it just because at 110K)but alas if I expired tomorrow,I felt too advanced to be remembered as the mini-van mom. The 2013 Pilot has good leg room in rows 1,2 compared to others. Leather seats and mats good quality. The engine has sufficient pick up to maneuver around less aware drivers. Auto open feature for the rear door and console storage a plus. Tires have good traction and great ride. CONS: The phone quality poor for the call receiver. My issues are paint, rotors, dealership. Rotors turned twice now(remember I never even did brake pads last vehicle). Everything scratches the paint! My steering column noisy when it rains:" Mam its your seat" LOL"

2011 Pilot Touring

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good trip vehicle, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cost-over $42K, ride is still a little rough."

"This is my second Pilot and 1st touring model. I really like the features and convenience items. The power tailgate is a plus. The split in the tailgate that allows the window to open while the gate is closed is also good. Like this vehicle better than my old Cadillac Seville."

Pretty good

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Practical, roomy, lots of seating"

Cons: "Lots of plastic inside, gas mileage is OK"

"It's a reliable, practical vehicle. Being a Honda, however, the little things inside are just not always the greatest quality. Overall, it's a pretty good vehicle."

nearly 200k and no problems

By on Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pros: "great ride, vary reliable, great V6"

Cons: "not as powerful as other in its class"

"I love my 2004 honda pilot ive got nearly 200,000 miles and the biggest thing ive had to do to it is change the spark-plugs and the air filter it runs great and drives well for a suv it's size the only problem i have with it is the 4-wheel drive lacks some ablity when compared to some other suv's in its class but i cant complain to much it gotten me though some bad bad snow stoms and mud, i plan on buying a new 2012"

Great family car, nice muscle suv look!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "Versatile, Seats 8 people comfortably, Muscle look"

Cons: "15 mpg average in cities."

"Ah the 2011 Honda Pilot. An amazing car, and the last years of the "muscle SUV" look. For a midsize SUV with a fullsize SUV interior you couldn't ask for more. The gas milleage can be a little rough at times, but it's an SUV not a prius. The car's manual states that it can only tow 4,500 lbs, however I know from experience that towing 5,000 is easy in this car (with surge brakes on the trailer). After 2011 they have now released the new Pilot that has a "family minivan / sedan" look to it. If you want a car that will last 20-40 years, and still keep its value. This is the car for you."

third honda, second pilot - all great cars

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "look, safe, easy to drive, lots of room"

Cons: "price a bit high, interior not better than 08"

"have owned three hondas in the past 10 years, all have been great. this is my second pilot and I am very happy with the car. third row comes in handy, but is a tight fit--not something you would want to use daily or for adults on long road trips. fits kids great. interior is a bit lower quality (or I just do not like the style) than previous model, but still very nice. never had a problem with the car. tire did wear down very fast. at 15K was told they would need to be replaced next rotation? Seems odd to me. Will own more hondas and maybe another pilot soon--though, may need the odyssey to fit all the kids."

My Second Pilot Purchase - GREAT vehicle!

By on Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Pros: "Great value, lots of interior space, smooth ride"

Cons: "Awkward glove box"

"Traded in my '03 EX on a '12 EX. Love the improvements to the interior - way more passenger space, particularly in second row. I have made two road trips @ about 1,200 miles each and the ride is so smooth and comfortable. Average about 23-23.5 on the highway (70 mph), but easily 18 mph around town. Cargo space has always been generous. Road noise much improved. My only two "complaints" are minor: first, the glove box sits too low to stretch out long legs. Nix the viewable storage space for a larger, higher glove box. Second, provide the option of a sunroof on EX models. Right now, a sunroof can only be purchased in conjunction with leather seats on the EX-L models. I'm not a leather fan, but would gladly pay for a sunroof. Other than that, I am one happy repeat buyer!"

Smooth ride quiet handles very well

By on Friday, December 23, 2011

Pros: "Room to spare. Very stable ride."

Cons: "Dash controls are a little overwhelming at first."

"I have owned several SUV's in this price range and this is by far the best one yet..Considering all the options it was priced very fairly."

Not bad for my first Honda

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"Compared to my Expedition, it was all about gas mileage. I fell in love with how my 2012 Pilot had so much room for being a small suv. My Pilot is just right for the family, kids fit well in all rows. I thought I would miss my Expedition, but I soon relized the Expidition had alot of wasted space. I recently bought a 2011 Ford Flex, yes I have one less seat. I was really disapointed to get better gas mileage on the Flex than my Pilot. Even with the new engine Honda has in the new Pilot it's not all that. My Flex is alot roomier than my pilot. As far as getting more bang for my buck, I was really surprised how many options that came with my ford compared to my Pilot. My only worry about the Ford Flex is how long will the motor last compared to my Pilot. Honda has always had a super product, the only down size was the comfort, I feel the Pilot was built to cheep on the inside. When in my Flex I feel like a million bucks. When I'm in my Pilot I feel my Pilot will be here in the family for a long time."

Love this car!

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

"Drove Explorers in the past and loved them too. Decided to go with the Honda Pilot this last time and we've been completely pleased. Plenty of room for hauling grandchildren. The car is quiet and smooth to drive. I feel it has great safety equipment and reliability. I haven't had any problems with it at all."

impressed !!!

By on Saturday, March 26, 2011

"This vehicle is very impressive, it does everything well. Typical Honda quality and a rock solid ride. It is fully featured, technology packed and very nice ride quality. I would recommend this to anybody in the market for an SUV, oh yeah, the resale value is great!!!"

Best Car Purchase Ever

By on Tuesday, March 01, 2011

"After growing concerns with our Sienna, and Toyotas inability to correct them, we decided to give Honda a try. I was tired of being a Dad driving a Mini-Van, so we looked into the Pilot as an alternative, since it seats same number of people. There is 5 of us, so having room to seperate kids is a must. The car drives beutifully, and the Variable Cylinder technology is awesome. We try to see how long we can get the little green "eco" light to stay on. The EX-L trim is a must if you want the Rear Entertainment System. Sound system in this thing is amazing.The only concern I have uncovered so far is the seat placement. With one car seat, and one booster seat, and the need to keep 4 year old farther away from 18 month old and the 11 year old, the car seat arrangement was a slight challenge, but that is only because I wanted to maintain maximum versatility with strollers, and other cargo loading. Hond's Lease program is great too."

Excellent Vehicle on Ice

By on Sunday, January 23, 2011

"2009 Pilot handles on snow and ice like a champ. Excellent control and stability. I have had mine for three months and love the ride and comfort. Being 6'4'' this vehicle has plenty of head and leg room. I would recommend this to any one looking for a larger SUV."

By on Friday, October 29, 2010

"awsome vehicle..this is the second one i've owned..love it...the only thing i wished honda did, was increase the power and torque to atleast 275-285."