• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2009 Honda Pilot

Based on 276 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Very Spacious, quiet/comfortable non-bumpy ride

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Honda reliability, spacious, quiet drive, awesome!"

Cons: "Super firm seats and headrests, plastic interior"

"I always wanted a Pilot, so I traded in my '05 Honda Accord (which had over 232K miles and was still in good running condition) and have yet to be disappointed. The only minor things I would change are the seat and headrest could use a little more padding, they are a little hard, but not to the point of discomfort (I have neck and back issues and the seats do not bother me) and less plastic on interior surfaces. This obviously uses more gas than my 4 cyl. Accord, but still gets decent gas mileage, about 18 to 19 mpg average, considering the size of the vehicle. Engine runs extremely quiet, smooth ride, barely any road noise (I don't know why there have been complaints about the Pilot, but I had more road noise and bumpiness in my Accord than in the Pilot). CD, Aux, USB, good sound system, opening for back window is separate from the hatch opening. Lots and lots of storage space and so much headroom that an NBA player could sit comfortably even in the back. Love the look of the vehicle exterior which looks like higher end suvs without the pricey cost. Overall 9/10."

Great example of versatility-- city or country car

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, practical, spacious"

Cons: "Plastic dash, still uses a KEY ar that price!"

"The pilot has not sacrificed space and overhead room and height for the "hybrid look" that often renders an SUV less practical for hauling-- and less claustrophobic for passengers. It also offers a better ride than most, surprisingly. However, the hard plastic dash and cheaper surface materials undermine the Pilots ability to move between classes and to compete with inferior vehicles that have nicer looking interiors. Also, lack of remote start and lack of push button start seem to date the vehicle and provide another obstacle to surpassing otherwise inferior competitors."

love the comfort and size

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "comfort, room, reliability"

Cons: "mileage could be better- loose steering"

"rides well, its our third one. They need to offer more color options, but we have loved this car and will get another one, probably before the new 2015 style comes out"

2011 Pilot Touring

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good trip vehicle, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cost-over $42K, ride is still a little rough."

"This is my second Pilot and 1st touring model. I really like the features and convenience items. The power tailgate is a plus. The split in the tailgate that allows the window to open while the gate is closed is also good. Like this vehicle better than my old Cadillac Seville."

Owning this Pilot has been a mixed experience.

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Good value: price to size and flexibility."

Cons: "Super uncomfortable seats all around. Thin steel."

"Highs: this car drives rock-solid, even after 133,000 miles of varied driving. Starts every time. Doesn't use any oil. Handles well for an SUV, much better than others I have driven. There is ample room for everyone, even workable space behind the third seat. Stereo sounds good. Seats configure easily. XM radio is a lifesaver on my daily commute. Lows: the seats are also rock-solid and I have spent 132,000 miles trying to find some way to get comfortable in them. Kids agree; these are park benches. Interior is loud on the road; lots of noise even with the electronic 'white noise' feature. The body is made of tinfoil. Looks tough but seems to dent at the firm push of a finger. The rear seat belts rattle against the door frames; makes me crazy so I wrap them around the rear headrests when there are no riders. All around, it's a great car that could be better in the details. I'm sure the Acura MDX is a step above the Pilot, but I've heard the seats are also pretty firm. If you need a big honking SUV, this is a pretty great one overall for its reliability and highly flexible interior."

See if you qualify for