2009 Honda Pilot

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

2014 Pilot a Major Disappointment

By on Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Pros: "seats"

Cons: "econ mode, acceleration, braking, interior"

"There are some high point to the car but the transmission shudder/rumble you experience any where from 20-70mph is a major disappointment. I also had to have my brakes fixed after 100 miles because there was a lack of pressure from the master cylinder and the brakes did not catch until pressing in 3inches or more. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone!!!! The issue has been reported to Honda (major attitude) and this is an acceptable experience for a brand new SUV. My wife owns a 2012 CRV which is a nice vehicle all around...."

Great for room - not a smooth ride

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Great to look at and very roomy"

Cons: "Driving is not smooth - noisy"

"I bought a 2014 Pilot in Nov 2013. Love the look of the Pilot inside and out - HATE the way it rides. The car gets stuck in a low "revving" noise with vibrations under your feet & in the steering wheel while you are driving between 25-50 mph. You either have to take your foot off the gas or accelerate a little to get it "unstuck" and then it just happens again when you get to the next level. I was told by Honda that this is part of the eco_system in the car. It is most definitely not a smooth and comfortable drive. At the gas station, the plastic covering attached to the gas door fell off after I opened it. It just gets snapped back on like a lego toy. Not a huge deal but definitely just adds to the dislike of this car. Also, having battery issues after owning it for 2 months."

Best vehicle I have yet to own!

By on Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pros: "Great fuel and fun to drive!"

Cons: ""ECO" engine feature to conserve MPG,"

"This is the perfect SUV that comes with all of the Honda reliability one could ask for. It works great for hauling kids and our large lab, and for towing. I recently moved from AZ to VA and had to tow the largest U-Haul trailer around, and it did great! Everything is perfect about this SUV, and it would get 10/10 for everything except the "ECO" engine feature. Honda kind of fumbled this one for all of their vehicles. There is the occasional "shutter" when it switches on and off at certain speeds."

By on Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cons: "Adjusting to width, instument controls"

"We have had our 2012 Pilot Touring w/RES & Nav since November 2011. It has been an incredible car/truck. It is very easy to drive as the steering is responsive and smooth. The engine is no maintenance and stong (not throaty or truck-like)...we had used synthetic oil since mile #1. We have black on black...so, it shows extremely well, almost luxury when detailed. We couldn't be happier, as its the wife's car and the boys thoroughly enjoy the space and conveniences. The cargo room is more than you would expect (I have easily moved furniture and a full size bed w/box spring just by putting the second row down). The toughest adjustment was getting used to the instrument controls/RES/radio controls and getting comfortable with the width of the Pilot (it is wider than the standard SUV). I highly recommend this car for those that don't want the stereotype of a minivan, but the conveniences of one. It has the reliability of a Honda, quality of a Lexus, and size of a HMMWV."

I love driving it!

By on Thursday, January 02, 2014

Pros: "Great acceleration, Spacious, Comfort"

"I've always had SUVs and my 2009 Pilot is my favorite vehicle to drive (right after my S2000). I owned Ford Explorer, Ford Sport Track,Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep Liberty all V6 before. If you are like me and are always on the go driving fast and fairly aggressive - you will not be disappointed with handling, acceleration, braking and stability of this vehicle in any conditions including NYC traffic and steep mountain terrain.I also like the transmission and the D3 lock comes handy in the mountains. I will trade fuel efficiency for power and responsiveness any day. It is an SUV V6, so don't expect miracles - it burns gas just like all others, but less then V8. It prefers REGULAR GAS not premium! All seats go flat, so there is plenty of cargo - you can easily camp in it. and if you need seats - it has 8 - even 3rd row seats are comfortable. My boyfriend is 6'5" and he doesn't feel cramped. Driver seat has many adjustments. I have to mention small turning radius; it makes U-turns and parking a breeze combined with rear camera - you can fit in tightest spots. I'm snow sports enthusiast, so I also invested in SNOW TIRES (michelin X-ice2) and my Pilot got me to the mountains in the worst of conditions, leaving others stuck. It is FRONT WHEEL DRIVE vehicle, so it is great in snow. I was concerned that I can't manually choose 4x4,and have to rely on the computer adding more torque to rear wheels when needed, but now I love it. There is also "extra torque" button, but in past 3 winters I had to use it only once when I was plowed in in 2' of snow and refused to dig. Keep feeding it regularly with synthetic oil and it will run great with almost no maintenance. I installed alarm and remote starter and I noticed more drain on battery, but had no problems since I bought a new one after 4 years. It is not trail rated vehicle, so don't go crazy off-roading with it - replacing drive shaft costs $1000 - lesson learned. If you have kids - you will love rear DVD option - wireless headphones keep kids happy and front seat passengers able to listen to radio - or you'll be the cool aunt like me. My next car will definitely be another Pilot."

Dissapointed

By on Sunday, December 29, 2013

Pros: "Storage, comfortable seats, navigation"

Cons: "Reliability, fit and finish, lousy MPG,"

"This is my 2nd Pilot. I traded in my 2006 EXL for a 2013 Touring 4x4 in May 2013 and have had several problems with it. I had to replace the power steering pump (recall) within 5 days of ownership, the rear engine mount was defective and had to be replaced(required American Honda to get this repaired). Now, I have constant vibration thru the seats (not the steering wheel) from 35 MPH - 55MPH. Very annoying and uncomfortable. There is a known issue with VCM vibration in Pilots and Odyessey's which Honda is yet to resolve. However, the vibration I am experiencing goes beyond the VCM issue. Since I mostly drive at 40-45 MPH I'll probably take a loss on the car and sell it...."

Reliable, comfortable, versatile.

By on Friday, December 27, 2013

"Best car I have owned. My priorities for a vehicle changed as we purchased a motor home for traveling and no longer need this large of a vehicle for around town travel. Otherwise, I would never sell. My last Honda Pilot was a 2004 and I traded for this one. Not a moment's trouble. All warranties will transfer. Free oil change program until 30,000. miles. Around $1,000.in extras; lighted running boards, rubber mats, cargo cover, etc."

Really enjoy this vehicle

By on Monday, December 09, 2013

Pros: "Great poor weather/snow vehicle"

Cons: "Mileage"

"In 2009, purchased a new 2009 Pilot Touring 4WD and with 61000 miles on it now, I really have few bad things to say about it. Getting used to the feel of the vehicle when it is in ECO mode was an adjustment but other than that very satisfied. Seats 8 (several of them need to be small people to be comfortable), very good audio system, and slices through snow with little effort. It can carry a lot of people or stuff but not both. The fold down seats allow you to do a little of both but it is not a massive SUV. Gas mileage is OK, I get about 17 in the city and have done as good as 26 on the highway with 5 passengers total, no AC. Stock tires (in 2009) on the vehicle really provide great grip and I was able to get them again when I replaced them around 50000. They are more like an off road tire than a road tire but they do well and were quiet until about 50000. Honda needs to redesign this vehicle and when you buy the top trim level there is an expectation for things like automatic retracting side mirrors for example and even the 2014 doesn't offer them. Had a couple of quality issues with a visor (installed with no screws) and a rear power plug and needed a transmission repair (under an extended warranty) but other than that and regular oil changes, it has been dependable and inexpensive to keep on the road. Finally, this vehicle drives more like a truck than a car and provides that elevated view that I like. I would purchase another one but not before a redesign."

Honda Quality - It's a Joke!

By on Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Pros: "It starts in the morning"

Cons: "Paid $30,000 + for a re-furbished vehicle"

"Purchased a NEW (2 miles on it) Honda Pilot. Within 3 weeks I noticed a 'defect' in the paint. After working with the dealership and Honda it was confirmed that, at the Honda Plant, they repainted the rear quarter of the vehicle. Honda's response was to paint it a 3rd time and they would give me some mudflaps for my inconvenience. When they repainted it (at the Factory), they left masking tape under the wheel well, re-installed rubber moldings that are warped and did a poor job painting it too. Honda will not stand behind their vehicle that should have had the paint work disclosed in the first place."

By on Friday, November 22, 2013

Pros: "Very comfortable"

"I loved the Pilot and I would buy another."

This is my 3rd Honda Pilot and obviously I love it

By on Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pros: "Size, comfort, reliable"

"I have enjoyed each Pilot I have owned. Honda has improved the quality with each one."

needed new motor at 3 mo. 6000 mi.

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "none"

Cons: "poor gas milage"

"at 75000 mi. needed all 4 rotors resurfaced."

GREAT FOR THE PRICE

By on Friday, September 27, 2013

Pros: "GREAT DEAL"

Cons: "GAS MILEAGE IS VERY POOR"

"CONSIDERING THE COMPETITION IS 20K MORE..THIS IS AN EXCELLENT VEHICLE."

smooth quiet good build quality

By on Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pros: "Very smooth and quiet driving SUV"

Cons: "Not enough power, needs more HP, and 6 speed trans"

"My Pilot EX-L has 11000 miles on it. It drives very quiet and smooth.MPG'S average about 19-21, highest on trip was 26.5. Seats are very comfortable with power adjust. Lumbar does not work very well. Dealer service has been excellant, with reasonable service prices. This is my 3rd Honda,( 2 prior cars were Odysseys."

Great SUV and Great Gas Milage of 24MPG City

By on Friday, September 13, 2013

Pros: "Utility, Smooth, Quiet Ride, Nice Electronics,"

Cons: "Cheaper Plastic dashboard, cluttered controls"

"I purchased a new 2013 Pilot EX because of the room inside to put two bikes inside. I've had a Grand Cherokee, a Cherokee, an FX35 and now the Pilot EX. What I love: I get 24MPG city (got an extra 2MPG after replacing the air filter with a K&N). I can always tell when the ECO kicks in. It was annoying at first because you can feel the bump in the engine, but after a while, it reminds me to make subtle changes to the accelerator to keep it in ECO mode. I also love the bluetooth audio streaming and phone connections. The milage screen is awesome! Radio is adequate in the EX, but just adequate for a sub $30k automobile. Acceleration is also adequate, but not abundant. It's fine for me, because mileage is my priority. The car tends to look boxy, but I do like the look. The car is comfortable and quiet, despite some of the prior reviews. Storage is amazing and the car is forgiving and handles like a much smaller vehicle. This is one vehicle that once I get in, I don't speed and enjoy the ride. I find myself not in a rush all the time. What I don't love: The plastic dashboard and squeezed in controls. My Infiniti had all the buttons in the world but was smartly designed. The buttons, especially the A/C controls, are squeezed in together, which requires excessive looking when driving. The plastic dashboard makes it look "childproof," which was not the look I was going for, as a single guy. But overall, I'm very satisfied!"

I love this car (SUV)!

By on Saturday, September 07, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, lots of space, and safe"

Cons: "Would always love better gas mileage!"

"I tell my husband all the time, "I love this car!" I love how it drives/handles, I feel very safe in it, I love the height/visibility, and I love the space for my kids. Strollers fit easily in the back and we can haul the kids, the dog, and all of our gear. Before this, I had two different Mercedes and then we had kids. We had a Jeep with a V8 that I enjoyed driving once strollers entered the picture, but the gas mileage was out of control. We got rid of that and bought this and could not be happier with the Pilot. Oh, I also love the fact that it takes regular gas and the maintenance compared to the German cars is wonderfully priced. I will drive these for a long time."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, September 04, 2013

"I have owned 4 Hondas over the years and switched to the 2011 4runner limited and wished I had purchased the pilot, I traded it in for the Honda and love every thing about it. I use it to tow a trailer and it has better power than the 4runner had. I will never buy anything but Honda from here on, lesson learned!"

Less Power than the Toyota 3.5 V6

By on Sunday, August 18, 2013

Pros: "Price is good. Steers good."

Cons: "Steers a bit hard in Parking Lots. Shifts hard"

"I have been a Toyota buyer for the last 15 years. My Pilot is my first Honda. Nice solid SUV. Drives Great. But, it lacks a bit of power. Especially when you run with the Air Conditioning. I "Bogs down" when I start from a Stop Sign when the Air is on. Also, I can feel the Transmission Shift Hard when the Electronic Cylinders system goes from 4 cyl to 6 cyl. I don't like that system. Too late now, I'm stuck with it for at least a year. I'll probably go back to Toyota. They are powerful and Shift like a "dream"."

Perfect for a family who doesn't want a minivan!

By on Thursday, August 15, 2013

Pros: "Room/Comfort, Smooth Ride, Great standard features"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance"

"2011 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring This has all the amenities needed for a family with children who travels. DVD player, front/rear climate controls, fold flat seats, leather, backup camera and more... On average, I trade my vehicles in around every 6-9 months. In 10 years, I have had 20 vehicles (including a few motorcycles). I traded a 2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax for the Pilot and made the best purchase to date. I have had no mechanical issues and the drive is very comfortable. This vehicle will not be traded, but kept for many years."

Exactly what we wanted...

By on Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pros: "Reliable, handles great, lots of extra features"

Cons: "Small glove box"

"After my first SUV experience being an Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer that was nice on the inside but full of problems... We knew we had to look for a more reliable SUV. We originally went out looking for a 4Runner, but ended up falling in love with that way the Pilot drove and all of the extras. I average 19mpg, which is great compared to my old V8, and the Eco feature that cuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising is great and you can't even tell the truck is cutting out the extra two cylinders. I saw a lot of people commenting on how cheap the interior is, but I tend to disagree, for a Honda, the interior is quite nice considering they have always been known to put more effort into engine components. We love our comfy heated leather seats & how did I ever not have a back up cam, such a nice feature. The buttons for the climate control are a bit busy, but a/c and heat is automatic once you set your desired temp, so no need to mess around with it too often. The 2nd row seats recline, which I've never seen before, and my Son loves it on road trips. The 2nd row seats also slide forward super easy to access the 3rd row seating which is actually quite spacious. The amount of cargo space when the 3rd row folds down is awesome & they fold down pretty flush. The way the SUV handles compared to my Explorer is a dream, absolutely feels like you are driving a car, but the 4wd is there when you need it."

Don't buy it if you want a nice looking interior

By on Monday, August 05, 2013

"I bought this car new and now have 50,000 miles on it. I gave it a poor review because the interior is so horrible that I do not even like to drive it. Since the first week I owned it the interior became completely stained with water marks. If you open the doors when it is raining, the raindrops will leave permanent marks on the seats. I have three kids that are only allowed to drink water in the car. The condensation from their water bottles even left water marks on the door panels near the cup holders. I contacted my dealer several times and then finally called the Honda Corp. The representative from Honda told me not to try to clean it as even water will stain terribly. He then said there is nothing that can be done about the water marks all over the seats and door panels. I am embarrassed to even have anyone ride in the car. My dealer suggested I buy a brand new Pilot with leather seats to solve the problem! If you think you might ever want to get in or out of this vehicle while it is raining, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! There are multiple online forums documenting this issue with the interior seats of the Pilot and the Ridgeline."

Great Vehicle, Great Value.

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "comfortable, great MPG, great value for the $"

Cons: "plastic feeling on the interior, black helps"

"I grew tired of the cost of owning my GL-450 and decided to look at the Pilot. I thought at first that I was going down in vehicle. I have found that I enjoy the room, the ride, and more than ever the cost of owning this vehicle. Great MPG for the size. I am very happy with my new vehicle."