2009 Honda Pilot

Based on 295 Ratings for the 2009 - 2015 models.

Great Value and Car for the Money

By on Saturday, June 21, 2014

Pros: "great value, easy to drive, safe, fast for segment"

Cons: "lacking in some new "2014 Features""

"By no means is this car considered to be in "luxury" segment, but in this car, its not missed. Its functional, practical, reliable, honest, and useful. In the two years we have owned this car, it has started up, every single time, without failure. The only place where this car is lacking is in the active safety features and cheap plastics on the interior. It should have BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring), LDW (Land Departure Warning), and FCW (Forward Collision Warning) seeing as this is a bigger car. Although the visibility is good, it would be nice to see and have added safety as children are typically in this car. Within the interior, there are many soft touch, padded, leather wrapped materials, but the center stack and dashboard are lacking in quality. They look cheap but the fit and finish is excellent. It has been very comfortable on long trips. The kids do not complain of anything in the back seats, and the front seats are very supportive and have a good range of motion. This car drives as a much smaller car yet, the limits are quickly approached, and there is a noticeable amount of body roll. It has a smooth 5 Speed A/T although that produces a smooth, agile, and refined ride, although if Honda Opted to go with a 6 or even 7 speed A/T this car would not suffer as much at the pump. Overall, we have been very happy with this vehicle as it has been easy to maintain, reliable, and comfortable."

Quality is bad!

By on Monday, June 16, 2014

Pros: "Price is good."

Cons: "Too many problems."

"I'm very disappointed about this vehicle. I will never buy Honda vehicle again."

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

By on Thursday, June 12, 2014

Pros: "roomy, fun to drive, economically sound"

Cons: "maintenance costly; dealership hikes up prices"

"I had always heard about the great reviews Honda vehicles got year in and year out. However, I was never financially able to own one. The first chance I got and when I did become financially able, I purchased one. Now I know why other Honda owners have cars that are 10, 15, & 20 years old. I love this vehicle. So much so that I bought it for myself. I bought my wife another vehicle from another brand and she immediately switched with me because of how much she liked the overall better quality and feel. Guess I'm stuck unless I can financially buy another!"

My 5th Honda Pilot

By on Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Pros: "Plenty of room and easy to drive."

Cons: "Fit and trim is marginal."

"I have owned a 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010 and now a 2012 Honda Pilot. I love them but have noticed that the quality of interior fit and trim has gone down. In addition the software has become much more difficult to set up and use. I am hoping this will improve for the 2015 Model, if not I may have to look at Toyota."

Very Spacious, quiet/comfortable non-bumpy ride

By on Thursday, May 29, 2014

Pros: "Honda reliability, spacious, quiet drive, awesome!"

Cons: "Super firm seats and headrests, plastic interior"

"I always wanted a Pilot, so I traded in my '05 Honda Accord (which had over 232K miles and was still in good running condition) and have yet to be disappointed. The only minor things I would change are the seat and headrest could use a little more padding, they are a little hard, but not to the point of discomfort (I have neck and back issues and the seats do not bother me) and less plastic on interior surfaces. This obviously uses more gas than my 4 cyl. Accord, but still gets decent gas mileage, about 18 to 19 mpg average, considering the size of the vehicle. Engine runs extremely quiet, smooth ride, barely any road noise (I don't know why there have been complaints about the Pilot, but I had more road noise and bumpiness in my Accord than in the Pilot). CD, Aux, USB, good sound system, opening for back window is separate from the hatch opening. Lots and lots of storage space and so much headroom that an NBA player could sit comfortably even in the back. Love the look of the vehicle exterior which looks like higher end suvs without the pricey cost. Overall 9/10."

Great example of versatility-- city or country car

By on Friday, May 23, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, practical, spacious"

Cons: "Plastic dash, still uses a KEY ar that price!"

"The pilot has not sacrificed space and overhead room and height for the "hybrid look" that often renders an SUV less practical for hauling-- and less claustrophobic for passengers. It also offers a better ride than most, surprisingly. However, the hard plastic dash and cheaper surface materials undermine the Pilots ability to move between classes and to compete with inferior vehicles that have nicer looking interiors. Also, lack of remote start and lack of push button start seem to date the vehicle and provide another obstacle to surpassing otherwise inferior competitors."

love the comfort and size

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "comfort, room, reliability"

Cons: "mileage could be better- loose steering"

"rides well, its our third one. They need to offer more color options, but we have loved this car and will get another one, probably before the new 2015 style comes out"

2011 Pilot Touring

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "Good trip vehicle, lots of extras"

Cons: "Cost-over $42K, ride is still a little rough."

"This is my second Pilot and 1st touring model. I really like the features and convenience items. The power tailgate is a plus. The split in the tailgate that allows the window to open while the gate is closed is also good. Like this vehicle better than my old Cadillac Seville."

Owning this Pilot has been a mixed experience.

By on Friday, May 16, 2014

Pros: "Good value: price to size and flexibility."

Cons: "Super uncomfortable seats all around. Thin steel."

"Highs: this car drives rock-solid, even after 133,000 miles of varied driving. Starts every time. Doesn't use any oil. Handles well for an SUV, much better than others I have driven. There is ample room for everyone, even workable space behind the third seat. Stereo sounds good. Seats configure easily. XM radio is a lifesaver on my daily commute. Lows: the seats are also rock-solid and I have spent 132,000 miles trying to find some way to get comfortable in them. Kids agree; these are park benches. Interior is loud on the road; lots of noise even with the electronic 'white noise' feature. The body is made of tinfoil. Looks tough but seems to dent at the firm push of a finger. The rear seat belts rattle against the door frames; makes me crazy so I wrap them around the rear headrests when there are no riders. All around, it's a great car that could be better in the details. I'm sure the Acura MDX is a step above the Pilot, but I've heard the seats are also pretty firm. If you need a big honking SUV, this is a pretty great one overall for its reliability and highly flexible interior."

Road noise very bad, 19mpg best it gets. Combined

By on Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Pros: "Good room all around ,good in snow,Honda Quality"

Cons: "Road noise,poor mileage,"

"Center storage worthless ,can not see your things to get. Glove box tiny. Needs to have more power for a 6. Roof rack not included"

Outstanding high quality SUV.

By on Saturday, May 03, 2014

Pros: "quality, price, internal comfort, standard options"

"This is my first Honda purchase and am very pleased with the Pilot, especially with its quality. It is comfortable, a pleasure to drive, has plenty of interior room. Everything in the vehicle works. I like the boxy look which reflects practicality and functionality. With 6 grandchildren, this vehicle is ideal."

Bought a new 2011 Touring. It now has 58000 miles

By on Monday, April 28, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable"

Cons: "Body Style is dated, needs some new features"

"This Pilot has been trouble free for currently 58000 miles, no issues !! Michelin tires wear well but have excessive road noise. I still have original tires & they should easily run another 20000 miles. Other than normal maintenance it has never been in the shop. I love the VCM & always try to drive with the ECO lite on."

Very nice comfortable drive

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Pros: "quality price holding value"

Cons: "touring w/ nav shld come w/ extras tow ball kit..."

"This is my third Pilot and nw there are six of them between my wifes family and mine. Everyone that I know that has one loves them."

Not getting my money's worth.

By on Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage."

Cons: "Fit not up to stds. Braking on downhill! Aye!"

"Nice ride. Navigation not easy to operate. Voice command can't understand what you say. braking on steep downhill - front end shakes and vibrates, can't apply brakes hard."

Great vehicle for the money

By on Sunday, March 30, 2014

"I purchased a 2014 have already put 10000 mi. on it ,went to Florida and back averaged around 21 MPG,NICE RIDE AND COMFORT,since owning have averged 18.9 MPG ABOUT 50/50 DRIVING.I traded a 2013 CRV with 24000 mi. in for the pilot to get more cargo space and,comfort,and it accomplised that mission,the CRV is also a great vehicle, but not enough space for my needs.I plan on driving this pilot for a long time,it can do it all with the 3rd row seating and towing capacity and the MPG not that bad for the size of vehicle,it also does very well in the IL. snow."

My favorite vehicle, ever!!!

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Comfort, space, ride quality, smooth transmission!"

"My first Pilot was an '05 model, that I had for 7 years and 100K miles. Now I have a new 2014 EX 4WD that I love already. It's more hi-tech than my first Pilot, with a Bluetooth hands-free link and USB/MP3 ports. It's got the same strong, smooth engine and transmission as my first Pilot. Same spacious interior and cargo area. Same wonderful, smooth ride. A significantly quieter interior that blocks out almost all road noise. An even more beautiful exterior, that is unlike most other modern SUVs that have an ugly, glorified station wagon look. The same solid, very tough build. I love everything about this Pilot and if I were Honda, would not change a thing. It's a terrific vehicle!!!!"

Outstanding SUV, best one I've owned

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

"Would definitely buy another one"

Fantastic multu-purpose vehicle

By on Monday, March 17, 2014

Pros: "Comfy, roomy, fun, versatile, pretty, practical"

Cons: "Nothing yet"

"Had this SUV for 6 months of touring western US. Ran great in desert, beachside, and in mountains. Incredible space, and comfort for family of 7: 5 adults + 2 kids. We all fit and were very comfortable and all our "stuff" for a week in Yellowstone fit. Lots of nice extras like plenty of cup holders, lights for each row, hidden storage spaces, electric outlets, ... Ran great, got 18 mpg fully loaded, 4WD got us easily through some snow issues and mountain passes. Now setting it to tow a travel trailer - can tow a max of 4,,,,500 lbs. with its 4WD. Looks great, super visibility for driver, great stereo- played our iPods and we could adjust it play to only in front, all over, or only back. Same with AC and heater - each section of car could adjust to their needs. An A+++ ranking from our family. Mahalo Honda!"

needs captian seats in front

By on Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pros: "great car"

Cons: "nds captain seat in front for the arm rest in"

"great car i would buy another pilot but no style change so am going toyota"

A good reliable car

By on Thursday, March 06, 2014

Pros: "Good solid workhorse"

Cons: "Road noise"

"It is good and solid, with a comfortable ride and plenty of pep. The only negative I can think of is the very annoying, excessive road noise."

Disappointing for the price paid.

By on Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Very disappointing gas mileage, both city and hwy. 18-19/22-23 Computer system is difficult to use and looks like a last minute add on. Nav. system is very difficult to operate and not up to date. Need touch system Back floor is slanted to the rear so that items slide out. Oil change at 3750 is very outdated. Most new cars are between 5000 and 7500. Downshift to 3rd gear is outdated. Most new cars downshift with touch of the brake. Sound system is adequate but not premium. Transmission should be a six speed. Comments are on a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring with all available options."

Too Many Issues

By on Sunday, February 23, 2014

Cons: "Brakes are very low; motor races while braking"

"Only had the car for a few months, with just over 3,000 miles. The brakes are very low. Every few days, sporadically while I'm at a stop the engine will start to race and the vehicle wants to take off. I have to put it into park and rev the engine a few times to make is stop. It's been back to Honda multiple times and they say that can't find anything wrong and that's just the way the brakes are. Also within the first month I had it, it was recalled for a possible piston malfunction that if seizes while driving could get you into an accident. They did take the SUV right in and gave us a loner for three days. I usually don't write reviews but I wanted to see if anyone else was having similar issues, especially the motor racing while at a stop. We're looking to trade it in some time this year if these things aren't taken care of."

Not my first choice next time

By on Monday, February 17, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride and handles well"

Cons: "Lags with overdrive on. Fair gas mileage."

"Shift handle in bad place. The gas saving overdrive is awful. Gas mileage is only fair. Car lags quite a bit and this becomes very annoying. Sync system is not up to today's standards either. They could learn a lot from Ford on this. It is not user friendly at all. I could go on but I won't. The actual car is comfortable to ride in as well as the seats. I guess I just expected more from the Pilot. We had a Ridgeline and we absolutely loved it. Boy was I surprised how different they are."

Pretty good

By on Friday, February 14, 2014

Pros: "Practical, roomy, lots of seating"

Cons: "Lots of plastic inside, gas mileage is OK"

"It's a reliable, practical vehicle. Being a Honda, however, the little things inside are just not always the greatest quality. Overall, it's a pretty good vehicle."

Love it

By on Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Pros: "Safety, look, gas milage"

Cons: "nothing!"

"I love my pilot and when It hits the dirt, if it ever does I will get another one! I love it, I have been in an accident where I t boned someone and it totaled there Toyota highlander and only messed up my bumper. . I feel so safe in this SUV and will never own anything but this!!!"