• 2014 Compact SUV Buyer's Guide

2008 Honda Pilot

Based on 838 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Love this vehicle.

By on Monday, April 07, 2014

Pros: "Great to drive. Lots of seating and cargo space."

Cons: "none."

"Great vehicle. Seats eight. Still love it, but no longer need this size vehicle."

Not what I anticipated

By on Wednesday, April 02, 2014

"I purchased my 2005 Honda pilot used last year and was really excited after reading all the rave reviews. I have been a bit disappointed in my purchase. The third row seat is very small, narrow, and the seat belt buckle latch does not move so it is hard to even think of trying to fit a carseat in the back or a booster. The trunk space is small when the third row is being utilized.. my friends toyota minivan has way more room! The front seats are great and comfy- love them! Heated seats in my car and plenty of room. Driving this car reminds me of a boat- bumps and turns seem top heavy. I have no complaints thus far about reliability- it has always gotten me where i need to go. Since my purchase, the check engine lights, 4*4 light and maintenance required lights have all come on which I am not used to happening in such a small amount of time. The quality is plastic and a bit cheesy for me. After reading many reviews I thought I would get better MPG but as it turns out i'm getting about 15MPG with my 20 gallon tank being on empty after 300 miles. Would I purchase again? No. Am I contemplating selling this SUV for something else? It is a possibility."

We've had this car for 7 years

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "Lots of room and extremely reliable."

Cons: "A bit noisier on the road"

"My wife liked her 2003 Honda Pilot better than my Lexus RX300! Which was o.k. by me, I liked my RX too! Anyhow, the Honda was better than the RX in only one area. My RX ate batteries. Not unusualy a lot, but more than the Honda. When we came back from a lengthy vacation, the Pilot started right up, the RX had to be jumped. l liked both cars. The Honda had a little more room. It was a little noisier than the RX, but then it was a bit more expensive. Both excellent choices for SUV's in my opinion"

Great until about 100,000 miles

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

"Bought pilot new in 2007. Maintained the car & had zero issues, until I reached 100,000 miles. First, there was a leaking a/c hose-$600+ repair. Then a leaking radiator-$700. for OEM replacement & hoses. Now a faulty tension belt or bearing around the water pump which creates a constant clicking noise- another $700 repair. Its been a rough winter, but I'm afraid to think what repair is around the corner. Anyone else experience these or other repairs after 100K?"

Hondas are no longer reliable

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "Decent drive ability."

Cons: "Too much maintenance."

"Hondas cost more money. The reason a consumer is willing to pay more is for a better product. The Honda transmission is no longer a long lasting part. Expect to replace it every 100-150K miles."

Great vehicle with minor drawbacks

By on Thursday, March 27, 2014

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, and decent gas mileage"

Cons: "hard to clean between front seats"

"Overall, this has been a great choice, and I'd recommend the Pilot to others. Extremely comfortable ride, plenty of space for people or cargo (not necessarily both at the same time!) Tows well, decent gas mileage, and great sound system. The plastic parts of the interior haven't worn as well as I'd like, with some deterioration of the steering wheel cover, console cover, and other plastic parts. Most annoying thing is the tight space between the front seats and the console--debris falls down and it is extremely difficult to clean. Power windows have recently failed, but not a huge repair cost. All other mechanical systems have performed well with only routine maintenance required."

Reliable, good in gas for SUV, confortable, roomy

By on Thursday, March 20, 2014

"Reliable, good in gas for SUV, confortable, roomy"

Great performance and realatively efficient

By on Monday, March 10, 2014

Pros: "dependable ride"

Cons: "cargo area does not convert 2 flat surface/ pricey"

"no major failures over 135K miles. have replaced tires, belts and water pump. My only concern is that when rear seats are down, the surface is not totally flat."

It is a very dependable vehicle.

By on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, efficient"

Cons: "Loud road noise"

"The quality and reliability of the vehicle is excellent. The only complaint I have is that the road noise is louder than other similar vehicles. I undercoated it and changed the tires to a better quality which helped a little, but more cabin insulation from the road noise is required."

LOVE my Pilot!

By on Saturday, March 08, 2014

Pros: "Great maneuverability, cargo room and reliability"

"My pilot just keeps going! I love knowing I can reasonably expect to put 350,000 miles on this vehicle. It seats 8 including car seats plus other small luggage. I have no issues in snow or icy weather or getting around our farm. The pilot gets decent gas milage considering its a bigger SUV and 4WD. At 215k miles I had to fix something other than basic maintenance, and it was just a couple of sensors. Well worth the expense, in my opinion. Here's what I would change: the rear window needs to open independently from door to quickly drop small items in cargo area; when front seat is all the way back, there isn't much leg room for a toddler in a car seat in the 2nd row ( my kids are always kicking the seat cuz my hubby is 6'3"); I wish it was a bit quieter- road noise wise (I use top of the line tires cuz I put a lot of miles and it's still noisy). All that being said - when this pilot finally dies - I will buy another one!"

See if you qualify for